PDA

View Full Version : Lance McAlister is irresponsible

XUOHTX
04-11-2014, 04:41 PM
So I go to Twitter to read about JMart transferring and I see this from Lance McAlister:

"@LanceMcAlister: Is Stainbrook next? He and Justin will graduate and not have to sit out next year #Xavier"

How effing irresponsible to just casually throw Stainbrook's name out there on Twitter just because they both have the same eligibility. I got locked in a little back and forth on Twitter about it.

Do people in Cincy listen to him? It's hard for me to get a feel for how he is perceived.

D-West & PO-Z
04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
So I go to Twitter to read about JMart transferring and I see this from Lance McAlister:

"@LanceMcAlister: Is Stainbrook next? He and Justin will graduate and not have to sit out next year #Xavier"

How effing irresponsible to just casually throw Stainbrook's name out there on Twitter just because they both have the same eligibility. I got locked in a little back and forth on Twitter about it.

Do people in Cincy listen to him? It's hard for me to get a feel for how he is perceived.

He's terrible. Very strange too. That is a dumb tweet.

danaandvictory
04-11-2014, 04:54 PM
He's a Butler grad and UC homer. The only time he's got a minute for Xavier is when things are in turmoil.

Still responsible for the greatest radio meltdown of all time when UC lost to DePaul in the BET and he accused Deonta Vaughn of point-shaving.

kyxu
04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
He's a Butler grad and UC homer. The only time he's got a minute for Xavier is when things are in turmoil.

Still responsible for the greatest radio meltdown of all time when UC lost to DePaul in the BET and he accused Deonta Vaughn of point-shaving.

This is true. The ONLY time Lance McAllister ever mentions Xavier is when things are hitting the shits.

OH.X.MI
04-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Sheesh now Lance is tweeting about Jon Horford being a good fit at X? Did Lance just get a Scouts account? I've followed Lance since he's been on twitter and listen to his show a lot. I can't ever remember him talking about us this much.

MCXU
04-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Lance Goss is a douche.

That is all.

nuts4xu
04-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Is it a possibility that Stainbrook could transfer, or is it not possible because he already transferred once?

I don't have a problem with Lance, there are much worse out there in my opinion.

oddblob
04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
lance is a jackass. nothing new here.

Backyard Champ
04-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Honestly don't understand why people would get upset with this. In my opinion he won't, but it does appear like we will be rebuilding. Tough to stick around when the team will be working for the future. He seems pretty involved with Xavier, so my guess is he isn't even thinking about it.

XUFan09
04-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Is it a possibility that Stainbrook could transfer, or is it not possible because he already transferred once?

I don't have a problem with Lance, there are much worse out there in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure you can transfer as many times as you want. You just have to be done within a five-year period. Stainbrook would be immediately eligible elsewhere, so that would be possible, however unlikely it actually is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

xavierj
04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Honestly don't understand why people would get upset with this. In my opinion he won't, but it does appear like we will be rebuilding. Tough to stick around when the team will be working for the future. He seems pretty involved with Xavier, so my guess is he isn't even thinking about it.

Xavier will not be rebuilding if the coach remains the same.

RealDeal
04-11-2014, 07:28 PM
He's a huge douche. Always will be.

XUOHTX
04-11-2014, 08:39 PM

If he had brought this up as a legitimate topic on his show I would have been fine with it. But to casually throw out his name on Twitter is just starting rumors and trolling as far as I'm concerned. Notice the thread title. I didn't question the validity (although I do think it's absurd), I said it's just irresponsible journalism.

nuts4xu
04-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you can transfer as many times as you want. You just have to be done within a five-year period. Stainbrook would be immediately eligible elsewhere, so that would be possible, however unlikely it actually is.

Then the topic of Stainbrook transferring is a real possibility and I see no reason why it's irresponsible to mention it on twitter.

Unlikely, but not impossible.

XMuskieFTW
04-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Then the topic of Stainbrook transferring is a real possibility and I see no reason why it's irresponsible to mention it on twitter.

Unlikely, but not impossible.

So should I start talking about how Mick could go to coach northeastern university or Mitch Mcgary could be transferring to Ohio State? No. It's pointless and just trying to get a rise out of people. I feel bad for whoever approved his paycheck.

wkrq59
04-12-2014, 04:03 PM
For what I hope is the last time want to deal with Lance whoever? DON'T LISTEN, TALK ABOUT HIM, READ ABOUT HIM. He must be noticed to survive. As a veteran of the media wars, I can tell you one of the easiest ways to start something is spin a rumor that you make up "acording to legitimate sources," that you of course never reveal. Anything that comes out of his mouth is tainted and loaded with vitriol when Xavier is involved as far as I am concerned and that's why I listen to classical music when I'm in the car and never to him. That is all. (color chosen because of evil subject)

bobbiemcgee
04-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I listen to the comedy channel, oh....same thing.

xubrew
04-13-2014, 05:25 PM
So should I start talking about how Mick could go to coach northeastern university or Mitch Mcgary could be transferring to Ohio State? No. It's pointless and just trying to get a rise out of people. I feel bad for whoever approved his paycheck.

Yes. And you know what?? It's working. This thread now has over 2100 views, which has undoubtedly generated more traffic toward his twitter account than he would have otherwise gotten.

For what I hope is the last time want to deal with Lance whoever? DON'T LISTEN, TALK ABOUT HIM, READ ABOUT HIM. He must be noticed to survive. As a veteran of the media wars, I can tell you one of the easiest ways to start something is spin a rumor that you make up "acording to legitimate sources," that you of course never reveal. Anything that comes out of his mouth is tainted and loaded with vitriol when Xavier is involved as far as I am concerned and that's why I listen to classical music when I'm in the car and never to him. That is all. (color chosen because of evil subject)

This.

Just ignore him. I know reposting it on here (or anywhere) is tempting, but so is scratching poison ivy. It's a lot better to just leave it alone. What Lance McCalister says means absolutely nothing, so it's not worth getting upset about.

Muskeagle
04-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Lance Goss is a douche.

That is all.

Hey MCXU....not in response to this, but I wanted to point something out that you may or may not know. I LOVE Fr. Guido Sarducci, but just in case you didn't know....He went to UD. Not sure if you knew and not sure if this changes your desire to use that avatar....but it had to be said.

That's all. Thanks

XU-PA
04-14-2014, 06:15 AM

Pretty much describes any and all of sports talk radio. It is what has resulted from the death of radio programming

MCXU
04-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Hey MCXU....not in response to this, but I wanted to point something out that you may or may not know. I LOVE Fr. Guido Sarducci, but just in case you didn't know....He went to UD. Not sure if you knew and not sure if this changes your desire to use that avatar....but it had to be said.

That's all. Thanks

After graduation he repented and turned his life over to The Lord. I wonder if he ever found the popes wallet?

sweet16
04-14-2014, 08:43 AM
He's a huge douche. Always will be.

And you're a coward. Lance wasn't dealt the best hand personally......why don't you cut him slack.

XU 87
04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Never mind.

nuts4xu
04-14-2014, 09:47 AM
So should I start talking about how Mick could go to coach northeastern university or Mitch Mcgary could be transferring to Ohio State?

You can if you want, people likely won't entertain such discussion. When he said what he did about Stainbrook, we had already lost Semaj, Mack was listening and considering a new job in California, and Justin Martin decided to leave. We had guys jumping ship like rats, and Stainbrook was another guy that had the option of leaving. If he were to see the coach leave, 2 starters from last year depart, and he is left with some a lot of unproven talent and a new head coach...it would be obvious to me to think Stainbrook could be next.

There were legit reasons, and McAlister wasn't the only one to question if Big Stain would be the next to defect.

I don't know why people give McAlister such a hard time. If you don't like what he says about Xavier...call into the show. Or...simply don't listen.

Bitching about him on this board will not help your cause.

bleedXblue
04-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I used to really like Lance when he first came to Cincy 15-20 years ago. Not so much now. Everyone has to realize these guys get paid to entertain. If you're not stirring the pot, you're not doing your job.

X-man
04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
You can if you want, people likely won't entertain such discussion. When he said what he did about Stainbrook, we had already lost Semaj, Mack was listening and considering a new job in California, and Justin Martin decided to leave. We had guys jumping ship like rats, and Stainbrook was another guy that had the option of leaving. If he were to see the coach leave, 2 starters from last year depart, and he is left with some a lot of unproven talent and a new head coach...it would be obvious to me to think Stainbrook could be next.

There were legit reasons, and McAlister wasn't the only one to question if Big Stain would be the next to defect.

I don't know why people give McAlister such a hard time. If you don't like what he says about Xavier...call into the show. Or...simply don't listen.

Bitching about him on this board will not help your cause.

That's my solution. I don't listen to him or anyone else on the rat's ass station that broadcasts him.

muskiefan82
04-14-2014, 11:38 AM
If you're not stirring the pot, you're not doing your job.

What is "Something Willie Cunninghan might say?"

D-West & PO-Z
04-14-2014, 12:33 PM
I used to really like Lance when he first came to Cincy 15-20 years ago. Not so much now. Everyone has to realize these guys get paid to entertain. If you're not stirring the pot, you're not doing your job.

Not if you are good. Example Mo Egger. That dude is really good, it's the reason he's getting national espn radio time at night. And it isn't just a thing where the guy likes xavier or not as to why we think a radio guy is good. Mo is a Dayton alum and a UC fan yet is very fair towards all schools. He is really good, best loca guy by far.

xuwin
04-14-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't dislike him because of what he says about X. I just think he has a very poor knowledge of sports for a sports talk host. Mo Egger is much better In all respects.

xeus
04-14-2014, 01:39 PM
And you're a coward. Lance wasn't dealt the best hand personally......why don't you cut him slack.

I agree. I feel bad for him that he is such a giant douche. That is a terrible hand to be dealt.

PMI
04-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Going through life as a giant douche can't be easy. On another note, I do find it more than amusing that sweet16 is advocating for cutting someone some slack.

sweet16
04-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I agree. I feel bad for him that he is such a giant douche. That is a terrible hand to be dealt.

Not quite as terrible as having your young son diagnosed with cancer or having to wear a pacemaker after a near fatal heart attack at a reasonably young age but I guess you're right.....some comment on a radio talk show trumps all that.

PMI
04-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Not quite as terrible as having your young son diagnosed with cancer or having to wear a pacemaker after a near fatal heart attack at a reasonably young age but I guess you're right.....some comment on a radio talk show trumps all that.

I don't even know who Lance McAlister is other than through this board, and those issues are truly terrible. But if you're a radio talking head, you're definitely fair game for criticism among fans, especially the ones whose cages you are intentionally rattling. In fact, it's exactly what people like that want.

XUOHTX
04-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Wait, so anyone that goes through hardships should be immune from any criticism or negative feedback? Does this apply to all professions?

Juice
04-14-2014, 02:57 PM

How is that relevant to whether he's a douche or not? And I agree, those are horrible things to happen to a person. Also, I bet everyone on this board can name a similar tragedy, problem, etc. that has occurred in their life. We don't run around bad mouthing others, accusing college students of throwing games for money, etc. because of those things.

PMI
04-14-2014, 03:08 PM
How is that relevant to whether he's a douche or not? And I agree, those are horrible things to happen to a person. Also, I bet everyone on this board can name a similar tragedy, problem, etc. that has occurred in their life. We don't run around bad mouthing others, accusing college students of throwing games for money, etc. because of those things.

Well, not most of us anyway.

Kahns Krazy
04-14-2014, 04:06 PM
My disgust for the guy stemmed from what I saw as leveraging his son's condition for his own professional gain. A lot of people have personal hardships and work through them without anyone even knowing about it in their profession.

He's also well known for baiting people, then playing the victim if anyone takes the bait.

He's not as enjoyable as a wet fart in white pants.

OH.X.MI
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
He's also well known for baiting people, then playing the victim if anyone takes the bait.

In all fairness isn't that kind of the nature of Lance's and WLWs "shock" sports radio programming? I almost never agree with what he has to say, but I do find it entertaining to listen to most of the time. Then again I like to get wound up over meaningless things. And it certainly is better to listen to than the same five songs on the radio ever day.

XUOHTX
04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Well I guess my original question has been answered. The only conclusion I can come to is the best course of action is to close this thread, if only to reduce the risk of further promoting his career.

Cheesehead
04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Who is this Lance you speak of?

JTG
04-14-2014, 06:04 PM
I think "confrontation sports talk" is kind of a Cincinnati thing. I travel all over, and live in Indy. Most cities sport talk, do just that "talk sports". WLW, going back to Cunningham ( an absolute idiot), and Andy Furman both just said things to stir people up. They both made up 90% of their show's content. Lance is way too interested in baseball for me to ever listen to him. My son worked as an intern for Lance, when he was a student. He was ok with Lance, and said away from radio he was an ok dude.

D-West & PO-Z
04-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I think "confrontation sports talk" is kind of a Cincinnati thing. I travel all over, and live in Indy. Most cities sport talk, do just that "talk sports". WLW, going back to Cunningham ( an absolute idiot), and Andy Furman both just said things to stir people up. They both made up 90% of their show's content. Lance is way too interested in baseball for me to ever listen to him. My son worked as an intern for Lance, when he was a student. He was ok with Lance, and said away from radio he was an ok dude.

I dont think this is necessarily true. As a fan of a lot of New York sports teams I listen to New York radio and read NY papers, etc and there is plenty of that on the radio in NY. And just like here, the best guys to listen to are the ones who arent saying things just to get a rise out of people.

PMI
04-14-2014, 06:19 PM

This made me laugh pretty hard. Confrontational sports talk radio hosts are a Cincinnati thing? Reminds me of the kids I met my freshman year who tried to convince me that the brotherhood experience among the all boys GCL high schools was a Cincinnati thing. I think a more accurate way to phrase it would've been, "We aren't very familiar with any other regions, but surely I can't imagine this could happen anywhere else."

xuwin
04-14-2014, 06:31 PM

Bob Trumpy was the one who started it in Cincinnati. He actually hung up on callers who disagreed with him on a regular basis.

Juice
04-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Collin Cowherd's entire shtick is to let morons call in.

D-West & PO-Z
04-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Collin Cowherd's entire shtick is to let morons call in.

I really dont think he takes many calls actually.

Juice
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I really dont think he takes many calls actually.

You're correct. I should have been more specific. He reads emails and tweets.

D-West & PO-Z
04-14-2014, 09:08 PM
You're correct. I should have been more specific. He reads emails and tweets.

Yes, that he does do.

You know who was really terrible and has since disappeared? Erik Kuselias. If you had a different opinion from him, you were a moron. He was terrible, not sure where he is now. Think he ended up in nascar coverage or something?

nuts4xu
04-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Bob Trumpy was the one who started it in Cincinnati. He actually hung up on callers who disagreed with him on a regular basis.

He not only started the trend of "confrontation" talk radio, but he was one of the first sports talk shows in the nation.

Juice
04-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Yes, that he does do.

You know who was really terrible and has since disappeared? Erik Kuselias. If you had a different opinion from him, you were a moron. He was terrible, not sure where he is now. Think he ended up in nascar coverage or something?

I think he was fired/contract was not renewed by ESPN for several sexual harassment allegations by co-workers.

ammtd34
04-15-2014, 08:03 AM
I don't think he should have mentioned Stainbrook's name. I understand why he did and also can see why sports talk guys are quick to be confrontational. For every decent point made on twitter, there are 10 absolutely idiotic points and multiple personal attacks. I wish Lance would give Xavier more credit, but I don't really sweat it that he doesn't.

He's responded to me via email a few times about Xavier and a few times about soccer. The only topic I specifically remember was during the 2010 World Cup when he was talking about how dumb soccer was. "Imagine Kobe Bryant dribbling down the court on a fast break and the referee just deciding the game is over." I emailed to tell him why the clock was kept on the field and why that scenario would never happen. He read it on the air and has always seemed appreciative of feedback as long as you're not a moron.