PDA

View Full Version : Airbnb

D-West & PO-Z
04-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Anyone used it to stay somewhere? I know that the people renting the apts/houses have ratings but I think the people renting get ratings too and the renter will approve you or not. If anyone knows, is it hard to get approved if its your first time renting and don't have a rating? Anyone who has had any experience with it I would appreciate hearing your experience.

Mrs. Garrett
04-09-2014, 10:41 AM
My wfie and I have used it and found some great places. We also have friends who use it when they come back to Chicago. We have also used a site call HomeAway.com with success. We also have a cottage in Michigan that we had posted on HomeAway in the past and it worked out quite well, but now we use a management company to handle all the dirty work.

The one thing that my friends mentioned the last time they used Air BNB was that the woman they rented from lived there and then would stay elsewhere when someone rented from her. So the place wasn't in the condition they wanted.

One of the reasons we went with a management company was because they handle things like getting a cleaning person in between renters and they take care of all the maintenance issues.

If you are going to a known tourist destination check for real estate companies that do vacation rentals. You will probably find the rates aren't that different and the property will be in better condition.

D-West & PO-Z
04-09-2014, 05:10 PM
My wfie and I have used it and found some great places. We also have friends who use it when they come back to Chicago. We have also used a site call HomeAway.com with success. We also have a cottage in Michigan that we had posted on HomeAway in the past and it worked out quite well, but now we use a management company to handle all the dirty work.

The one thing that my friends mentioned the last time they used Air BNB was that the woman they rented from lived there and then would stay elsewhere when someone rented from her. So the place wasn't in the condition they wanted.

One of the reasons we went with a management company was because they handle things like getting a cleaning person in between renters and they take care of all the maintenance issues.

If you are going to a known tourist destination check for real estate companies that do vacation rentals. You will probably find the rates aren't that different and the property will be in better condition.

Thanks for the info.

I am going to Chicago for my bachelor party the last weekend in June. Was planning on getting hotels but my brother, who is my best man, started looking on Air BNB to possibly rent a home or apt somewhere. He lives in LA and is always ahead of me when it comes to the new tech and social media and ride sharing/ house sharing things, etc.

I'm sure it might be harder to get a place too when the purpose of the trip is a bachelor party. Not sure how many it would be yet, and we are all pretty responsible guys and would never trash a place, but I am sure people would be weary renting to a bachelor party group. It would be cool if we found a place though in a good location as it would be more fun to all be in a house as opposed to all in different hotel rooms. Anyway going to keep looking around on their site.

Mel Cooley XU'81
04-09-2014, 06:39 PM
D-

Vacation Rental by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com/) is another resource.

My family and I have used it to spectacular effect (really!) for vacations, weddings, weekend stays.

Lots of different locations, sizes of accommodations, prices.

Lots of customer reviews of the properties.

I recommend it.

D-West & PO-Z
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
D-

My family and I have used it to spectacular effect (really!) for vacations, weddings, weekend stays.

I recommend it.

Thanks Mel! I'll take a look. Appreciate it.

xu82
04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
D-

I recommend it.

We've used this ourselves as have friends of ours. We were very happy with the way things worked out.

cheeba
04-09-2014, 07:40 PM
We do vrbo.com every time we vacation, Chicago, Florida, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach.

nkymuskie
04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I've used VRBO in Panama City and Put-in-Bay. The purpose of both trips was to get hammered (spring break and Labor Day weekend) and had no issues at all. Going to Chicago you will have no issue finding a good place for a bachelor party. Many people who leave reviews leave a comment on what the occasion was. You will be able to find places other people have used for bachelor parties.

D-West & PO-Z
04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I've used VRBO in Panama City and Put-in-Bay. The purpose of both trips was to get hammered (spring break and Labor Day weekend) and had no issues at all. Going to Chicago you will have no issue finding a good place for a bachelor party. Many people who leave reviews leave a comment on what the occasion was. You will be able to find places other people have used for bachelor parties.

Awesome, thanks.

paulxu
04-09-2014, 08:58 PM
The only drawback to VRBO is the number of properties listed by management companies.
I'm assuming originally it was owners who were listing, and saving the 40-50% that property management companies take out in fees when they list and manage a vacation property.
More and more the places listed on VRBO are done so by property management people, and the prices reflect that. They just use it as another advertising tool.
There is a note I think on the first page whether or not it is really owner listed.

xu82
04-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I just looked up some VRBO condos on Hilton Head near where I've stayed in the past. Going through Sea Pines rentals is convenient and has some perks, but VRBO is dirt cheap compared to what we paid. You can get 2 bedroom condos cheaper than a room at the Red Roof Inn! Also, I think Sea Pines likes a 4 night minimum, but VRBO has shorter options (as little as one night).

ammtd34
04-10-2014, 07:31 AM
I just looked up some VRBO condos on Hilton Head near where I've stayed in the past. Going through Sea Pines rentals is convenient and has some perks, but VRBO is dirt cheap compared to what we paid. You can get 2 bedroom condos cheaper than a room at the Red Roof Inn! Also, I think Sea Pines likes a 4 night minimum, but VRBO has shorter options (as little as one night).

I would also recommend VRBO. I've used it for Phish concerts all over the place as well as trips to Boston, Florida, and Chicago. Both the accomodations and savings vs. hotels have always been awesome.

Mrs. Garrett
04-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Let me know if you have any questions about the location. I've lived in Chicago my whole life with the exception of my 4 years at X. I've lived in almost every neighborhood on the north side since graduating from X in '97.

Just a big heads up. The last Sunday in June is usually the gay pride parade. The crowd is usually around 500,000. So there could be significant competition for accomodations in the city that weekend. I would book fast if that weekend is indeed gay pride.

Mel Cooley XU'81
04-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Air and Water Show draws a big crowd, too. Early August?

:chin:

Mrs. Garrett
04-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Air and Water Show draws a big crowd, too. Early August?

:chin:

I think he said they were looking at the last weekend in June. I somehow used my own quote instead of his. Back in the day the city used to a us a real big favor and have gay pride and Cubs-Sox at Wrigley. Talk about your logistical nightmare.