PDA

View Full Version : XU Offers Illinois Scoring Machine

Always Learning
03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
From a High school scouting evaluator ....

Jalen Brunson, a junior point guard from Lincolnshire (Ill.) Stevenson High School, and the Patriots placed third at the Class 4A state tournament this past weekend in Peoria.
He scored 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds during Stevenson's 70-63 win on Saturday evening against Edwardsville (Ill.) High School during the third-place game.
Prior to Saturday, Brunson went off, scoring an Illinois state tournament record 56 points and adding seven rebounds, but it wasn't enough as Stevenson suffered a 75-68 loss to Chicago Whitney Young (winners over Benet and XU recruit O'Hara to win 4-A state championship) on Friday night in the state semifinals.
Brunson, has offers from Creighton, Xavier DePaul, and Purdue among others.
The Patriots ended the season with a 32-2 record.

Mrs. Garrett
03-24-2014, 04:24 PM
From a High school scouting evaluator ....

Jalen Brunson, a junior point guard from Lincolnshire (Ill.) Stevenson High School, and the Patriots placed third at the Class 4A state tournament this past weekend in Peoria.
He scored 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds during Stevenson's 70-63 win on Saturday evening against Edwardsville (Ill.) High School during the third-place game.
Prior to Saturday, Brunson went off, scoring an Illinois state tournament record 56 points and adding seven rebounds, but it wasn't enough as Stevenson suffered a 75-68 loss to Chicago Whitney Young (winners over Benet and XU recruit O'Hara to win 4-A state championship) on Friday night in the state semifinals.
Brunson, has offers from Creighton, Xavier DePaul, and Purdue among others.
The Patriots ended the season with a 32-2 record.

Rumors floating around Chicago is that he will go to whatever program hires his dad.

UCGRAD4X
03-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Rumors floating around Chicago is that he will go to whatever program hires his dad.

…to do what?

Mrs. Garrett
03-25-2014, 08:42 AM
…to do what?

His dad is former NBA player Rick Brunson. He wants to coach.

Pluto
03-25-2014, 08:45 AM
His dad is former nba player Rick Brunson. Jalen is currently part of a semi scandal as he flew the double bird at the state semi final game. He was suspended for the 3rd place game but was overruled on appeal.

powerofX
03-25-2014, 08:55 AM
His dad is former nba player Rick Brunson. Jalen is currently part of a semi scandal as he flew the double bird at the state semi final game. He was suspended for the 3rd place game but was overruled on appeal.

Barely a scandal. I did the same thing in the heat of the moment my soph year in HS. We lost on a buzzer beater and students rushed the court. I was suspended a game and had two saturday work days. I turned out just fine...I think.

Xman95
03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
His dad is former NBA player Rick Brunson. He wants to coach.

Played for Temple, I believe. Really good player.

GoMuskies
03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Rick Brunson's kid is about to go to college?!? Jesus I'm old.

nkymuskie
03-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Except he didn't.... Watch the video

Here is an article the photographer wrote defending Brunson.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/shooting-from-the-hip/2014/03/when-photos-lie-sticking-up-for-jalen-brunson.html

I'm still trying to find a link to the video. Brian Snow retweeted it over the weekend.

Caveat
03-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Any relation to the Miami Sound Machine?

GIMMFD
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Scout has him as a 4 star prospect, http://virginia.scout.com/a.z?s=190&p=8&c=1&nid=6332062

Juice
03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Except he didn't.... Watch the video

Here is an article the photographer wrote defending Brunson.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/shooting-from-the-hip/2014/03/when-photos-lie-sticking-up-for-jalen-brunson.html

I'm still trying to find a link to the video. Brian Snow retweeted it over the weekend.

Snow also said that the kid didn't doing anything.

Pluto
03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
That is why I said semi scandal. The Tribune ran an article today quoting the Executive Director of the IHSA (the guy who suspended Jalen initially) stating that it was wrong to reverse his decision. The whole thing seems stupid and I blame the Tribune for taking it any further.

Mrs. Garrett
06-26-2014, 08:33 AM

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/owlsinq/Source-Rick-Brunson-set-to-join-Temple-staff.html

BandAid
06-26-2014, 12:34 PM
How is this allowed?

GoMuskies
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM
How is Temple allowed to hire a guy who was a star there and who had a long NBA career as an assistant coach? Is that what you're asking?

BandAid
06-26-2014, 12:57 PM
How is Temple allowed to hire a guy who was a star there and who had a long NBA career as an assistant coach? Is that what you're asking?

How can it be that during a recruitment process it is revealed that whichever school hires the father will receive the pledge of the son? Couldn't it be argued that this is in a way a form of compensation to a recruit (albeit indirectly)?

I'm sure that Brunson is very worthy of the assistant gig at Temple. His son is definitely worthy of a scholarship. But the fact that Temple previously had three fully employed assistant bench coaches (one of which they will now have to move) to hire Larson (who they could probably hire any time they had an actual opening), and oh - surprise! his son is committing to play there as well (what a fortunate set of circumstances), just comes across as...not right.

GoMuskies
06-26-2014, 01:00 PM
If he was going anywhere other than Temple, I'd probably be right there with you.

mistabeecee41
06-26-2014, 01:30 PM
How can it be that during a recruitment process it is revealed that whichever school hires the father will receive the pledge of the son? Couldn't it be argued that this is in a way a form of compensation to a recruit (albeit indirectly)?

I'm sure that Brunson is very worthy of the assistant gig at Temple. His son is definitely worthy of a scholarship. But the fact that Temple previously had three fully employed assistant bench coaches (one of which they will now have to move) to hire Larson (who they could probably hire any time they had an actual opening), and oh - surprise! his son is committing to play there as well (what a fortunate set of circumstances), just comes across as...not right.

This happens all the time. Seton Hall did it earlier this year to get prized recruit Whitehead. Hiring parents, HS coaches, AAU coaches to help get a kid is almost common practice.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/one-and-one/2013/09/20/seton-hall-kevin-willard-isaiah-whitehead-ncaa-silliness

LA Muskie
06-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I think it's a problem in general, but this situation doesn't bother me as much. Rick Brunson is a former Temple player/alum and has been coaching for years, most recently in the NBA. It's not outlandish that the kid would want to play for his father, and vice-versa. Especially at the father's alma mater. Now in 16 years if my son is being recruited by Xavier, and I get hired as an assistant at Xavier, THAT's a problem. (On a number of levels. And mostly for Xavier...)

sirthought
06-26-2014, 05:02 PM
This is a situation that has happened multiple times. Sometimes not with the biological father, but an AAU coach who essentially is the dad to a kid.

I remember a player named Dajaun Wagner who played at Memphis (and later was a bust for Cleveland NBA). His dad was hired I believe.

GoMuskies
06-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Milt Wagner was a star at Louisville in the '80s. It was quite a blow to UofL when Milt was hired at Memphis by Calipari. Dajaun was an NBA bust, but it wasn't really because he was bad at basketball. He had ulcerative colitis and had to have his colon removed.

Filthy Conservative
06-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Milt Wagner was a star at Louisville in the '80s. It was quite a blow to UofL when Milt was hired at Memphis by Calipari. Dajaun was an NBA bust, but it wasn't really because he was bad at basketball. He had ulcerative colitis and had to have his colon removed.

That's shitty.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2