PDA

View Full Version : Smart to Marquette?

BMoreX
03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
As most already know, Twitter and MU Scoop are abuzz with Smart leaving VCU to head to Marquette.

Huge news.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42991.0

XUFan09
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Living in Richmond and heading to VCU this fall to take care of some teaching requirements, I don't like it. Being a Xavier/Big East fan, I love it. Net positive!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

casualfan
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
As most already know, Twitter and MU Scoop are abuzz with Smart leaving VCU to head to Marquette.

Huge news.

Did I miss when this happened or is your thread title misleading?

All I have seen are unsubstantiated rumors.

ballyhoohoo
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
I really could live without "havoc" in the big eat

Titanxman04
03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm not seeing this anywhere.

BMoreX
03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Did I miss when this happened or is your thread title misleading?

All I have seen are unsubstantiated rumors.

It hasn't been announced but all of the insiders on MU Scoop are saying it's done. Leaked story later today with an official announcement and presser on Wednesday.

XU 87
03-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Dumb move. Doesn't he know that the A-10 got more teams in the tourney than the BE last year?

bleedXblue
03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Surprised the job pays so well considering we pay Mack about a quarter of what Williams was making.

casualfan
03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
It hasn't been announced but all of the insiders on MU Scoop are saying it's done. Leaked story later today with an official announcement and presser on Wednesday.

Oh, some guys on a message board said it?

Must be true :biggrin:

XUFan09
03-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Surprised the job pays so well considering we pay Mack about a quarter of what Williams was making.

Marquette has some big-time donors, guys that can pretty much write a blank check.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

paulxu
03-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Funniest thing on that board: Shaka wants Wisconsin, he'll use us as a stepping stone just like Buzz.

Stepping stone to VaT? OK then.

BMoreX
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh, some guys on a message board said it?

Must be true :biggrin:

Haha yeah.

Muskie, if you don't mind adding a "?" to the end of the thread title just to note speculation, I would appreciate it. \

I tried doing it via my post but it seems to only edit my initial post's title, not the entire thread title.

OTRMUSKIE
03-24-2014, 04:40 PM
They are saying the same thing over at ram nation. 6 year deal. He has family in Madison they said and they reported espn said there have been contacts. Too many times rumors turn out true. I hope it happens.

Masterofreality
03-24-2014, 04:52 PM
@HolyLandofHoops: Shaka Smart accepts Marquette head coaching position. 6 year deal. To be announced at 5pm today. #BIGEAST strong.

GoMuskies
03-24-2014, 04:54 PM
@HolyLandofHoops: Shaka Smart accepts Marquette head coaching position. 6 year deal. To be announced at 5pm today. #BIGEAST strong.

Well, they've got 6 minutes.

GoMuskies
03-24-2014, 05:05 PM
The big announcement is now out and official from Marquette:

MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 3m

#mubb announces ...... team banquet will be April 15 at Harley-Davidson Museum. @comedysportz Sign up now!! http://go.mu.edu/1gSShZ7

GoMuskies
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Not sure what this guy is talking about "no announcement". Did he miss the big news about he banquet and the Harley-Davidson Museum?!?

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches 54s
RT @MUTribuneSports There is no announcement. Scott Kuykendall confirms that there's no progress on hiring Shaka Smart. #mubb

BandAid
03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Chaos at muscoop

paulxu
03-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I wish someone would start a rumor about Archie. I'd like to see if the crazy factor could be boosted up another level.

casualfan
03-24-2014, 05:23 PM
This happens every year.

Coach has conversations with school. Word gets out they are talking. Message boards start burning up and put the cart before the horse. Next thing you know everyone has someone they know telling them he's the guy and it's done.

Problem is it's not done. It's probably being worked on and it may even be close, but it isn't done.

I'm not saying they won't get their man, but I won't believe it's done until someone with more than 1800 followers puts it out there.

paulxu
03-24-2014, 05:32 PM
That Svoboda fellow starts a lot of rumors.

Cheesehead
03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
I would like to add my name to list of targeted coaches. My CYO record speaks for itself.

The_Mack_Pack
03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Expect Bobby Knight and Jim Calhoun to co-coach and Shaka to just strictly recruit. Announcement coming after the Sixers win a game. My sources are not reliable at all but I feel like this one is happening.

BMoreX
03-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Jim Ganzer ‏@theIWB 22m
Shaka Smart is the new coach at Marquette. #mubb Done Deal

Covers Milwaukee basketball.

X-band '01
03-24-2014, 07:38 PM
There was a hoax tweet that went out earlier today; they're probably going based on that one.

If it weren't Lent, I'd grab a bag of popcorn and browse both the Marquette and VCU boards. They've both got to be on Defcon-1.

LA Muskie
03-24-2014, 07:41 PM
I would monitor espn.com, but everyone keeps telling me they ignore the Big East except to piss on it, so I'm guessing they won't scoop it...

X-band '01
03-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Nobody else is reporting it - it's just someone trolling on Twitter. It seemed to get more legs once the Marquette boards picked up on it.

OTRMUSKIE
03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
@AndyGlockner: Shaka Smart is both the new coach at Marquette and nowhere close to being the new coach at Marquette.

OTRMUSKIE
03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
He is gone. You can't keep this stuff secret anymore.

LadyMuskie
03-24-2014, 08:37 PM
This reminds me of when Miller was and then wasn't and then was going to Arizona. I'm guessing Smart is the coach at Marquette.

paulxu
03-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Hmmmmm........http://fox11online.com/2014/03/24/report-smart-to-be-new-coach-at-marquette/

nuts4xu
03-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Nice hire by Marquette.

casualfan
03-24-2014, 08:56 PM
I don't buy for a second that a local station in Milwaukee would have this first.

From all indications the ball i in Shaka's court.

Again, not saying it doesn't ultimately end up being the case, but I think when it happens it'll come from the national media.

LadyMuskie
03-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Maybe a cop pulled Smart over and the cop turned out to be a Marquette grad and Smart confirmed he took the Marquette job.

paulxu
03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
That local station just put a lot of cred on the line...or blew a source.

casualfan
03-25-2014, 07:24 AM
This pretty much sums up why I wait for the national guys to report it. (http://deadspin.com/shaka-smart-not-actually-marquettes-new-coach-despite-1550922499)

xu2002
03-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Hmmmmm........http://fox11online.com/2014/03/24/report-smart-to-be-new-coach-at-marquette/

That article no longer exists on their website. Sad when news organizations start to report stories based on random twitter feeds and message boards.

casualfan
03-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Adam Finkelstein (@AdamFinkelstein) tweeted at 9:13 AM on Tue, Mar 25, 2014:
Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere

Pete Delkus
03-25-2014, 08:35 AM
That article no longer exists on their website. Sad when news organizations start to report stories based on random twitter feeds and message boards.

The funny part is that they would rather error on being wrong than late, and thus irrelevant. Many times, the retraction and how they handle the news going forward becomes the story, while they prudent station doesn't speculate, and thus becomes less interesting.

Weird new world.

In other news...Bruce Pearl has already bagged the Asst Basketball Secretary at Auburn, and bulk ordered Auburn duffel bags - pre-filled with cash. You can outsource your deceit.

danaandvictory
03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Of course if they don't, they get scooped and people laugh at them for being behind the times.

casualfan
03-25-2014, 09:03 AM
IF Smart is out and IF it is true that Howland removed his name from consideration where does Marquette go from here.

I just saw Steve Masiello who I really really like just took the USF job. I'm not sure he would have been a candidate for the Marquette opening, but I think he's a star in the making.

GoMuskies
03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
LOL at Marquette.

Well, more like LOL at the Milwaukee media.

bleedXblue
03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Adam Finkelstein (@AdamFinkelstein) tweeted at 9:13 AM on Tue, Mar 25, 2014:
Shaka Smart spoke to VCU commits & their coaches yesterday & assured them he isn't going anywhere

Of course he said that. Wouldnt you until you made a final decision?

He should put out something then to the public that says he isnt interested in the job......until then, I think he's still thinking it over.

GoMuskies
03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Apparently the Shaka to Marquette "done deal" rumors were started by some VCU fans on Twitter to screw with Milwaukee media.

casualfan
03-25-2014, 09:19 AM

He should put out something then to the public that says he isnt interested in the job......until then, I think he's still thinking it over.

Tim Pearrell ‏@timpearrelltd 41m
#VCU AD Ed McLaughlin says this a.m. that "Shaka Smart is our men's basketball coach" after erroneous reports about Marquette job on Mon.

You don't come out and make a statement like that if you're about to lose your coach.

Shaka is his own agent and was with the VCU AD all day yesterday. I'd be shocked if he made the jump at this point, but who knows.

casualfan
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Apparently the Shaka to Marquette "done deal" rumors were started by some VCU fans on Twitter to screw with Milwaukee media.

If true that is hysterical. One of the better trolling jobs I have seen in recent memory.

paulxu
03-25-2014, 09:44 AM
I remember a coach that was not leaving his school one time.
He even said "I'm not leaving."

xubrew
03-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Marquette has an interim AD and an interim president.

Marquette didn't know that Buzz Williams was looking to leave.

Shaka Smart was with VCU out in San Diego on Friday.

So, in less than 72 hours, Marquette went from losing a coach that they didn't know was leaving, to interviewing a guy that was traveling, and managed to close a deal worth several million and have it approved even though they didn't have a full time AD or president. That's impressive.

xubrew
03-25-2014, 09:55 AM

VCU has passed Marquette....as a fan base.

bleedXblue
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
I remember a coach that was not leaving his school one time.
He even said "I'm not leaving."

Exactly, these guys have to say and do things that the average guy with a conscience cant do.

I dont envy their position.

99% of people get to make these kinds of decisions with only themselves and their families knowing what going on.

OTRMUSKIE
03-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Hoax created by MU Journalism students?
« on: Today at 10:07:09 AM »
Not very funny if true.
--------------------------
Shaka Smart to Marquette is a Hoax Set Up by Journalism Students on Twitter
March 25, 2014

Many news outlets, especially in the state of Wisconsin, thought Shaka Smart was about to leave his post as VCU's men's basketball head coach to accept the same position at Marquette. That is not the case as the rumors Marquette had signed him were a hoax by a few Marquette journalism students on Twitter.

The students were saying that Smart going to Marquette was already done and the two sides had a six-year deal in place. There was supposed to be a 5:00 p.m. Press conference to announce it. Many TV and newspaper reporters went to cover it, but did not get what they wanted.

While there was a press conference to make an announcement all that was said was the basketball team will have an April 15 banquet at Harley-Davidson Museum.

This did not stop several Wisconsin news outlets from reporting Smart to Marquette being a done deal. AM 1250, FOX 11, and WISN 12 all either announced on air or posted on their website that this was a done deal despite their "sources" being a bunch of college kids that had just come off spring break.

All of the reporters that hikes down there were done in by premature Twitter news. While Marquette has not denied that they would love to have Smart as their coach, no direct negotiations have happened. According to Tim Pearrell at the Richmond Times Dispatch, Marquette and fellow suiting school Wake Forest have yet to contact VCU for permission to talk to Smart.

Pearrell sited that Smart signed a deal after the 2013 NCAA Tournament that runs through 2023 that will pay him $1.4-1.6 million per year. Smart has led VCU to four straight NCAA Tournament appearances including the 2011 Final Four to go with a 137-46 record in his five years at the school.

Smart has proven to be loyal to VCU, turning down offers to coach Minnesota, NC State, and UCLA in recent years. Smart is a native of Madison, Wis. but does not look like he will leave VCU to go back to his home state.

Marquette is also not amused with the rumors according to WTMJ Sports Director Doug Russell. Marquette has acknowledged to have contacted former UCLA coach Ben Howland about the job but not anyone else. Current UW-Green Bay head coach and Marquette alumni Brian Wardle is also thought to be a candidate for the job. Marquette has had the job vacant since former coach Buzz Williams left the program for Virginia Tech on Friday.

Baring something completely unforeseen, Marquette will be continuing their job hunt without mathematics possibility of Shaka Smart being their head coach. CBS Sports' Steve Lappas said there is no chance Smart goes to Marquette and Smart told VCU administration he is not going anywhere.

http://www.dudesonsports.com/dudes-on-hoops/2014/3/25/shaka-smart-to-marquette-a-hoax-set-up-by-journalism-students-on-twitter

LadyMuskie
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Tim Pearrell ‏@timpearrelltd 41m
#VCU AD Ed McLaughlin says this a.m. that "Shaka Smart is our men's basketball coach" after erroneous reports about Marquette job on Mon.

You don't come out and make a statement like that if you're about to lose your coach.

Shaka is his own agent and was with the VCU AD all day yesterday. I'd be shocked if he made the jump at this point, but who knows.

I feel for VCU, I do. We all know what this feels like. But, we've certainly had coaches say they're staying and then suddenly they're holding a presser to announce that they're coaching at a school up north or out west. For VCU's sake, I hope he's staying. For the Big East, I hope he's coaching at Marquette.

GoMuskies
03-25-2014, 10:26 AM
So it was Marquette fans and not VCU fans doing the trolling? Great job?

Gopher+RamFan
03-25-2014, 12:02 PM

If you had the #15 recruiting class, you wouldn't be telling your commits and their coaches (which he has spent several years building a pipeline) that he's returning to VCU. He would be telling the ones he wants to follow him to MU (most likely it would be the entire class) that he wants them to come with him. Telling these AAU coaches, and vital HS coaches a lie - would not be like a coach who knows how to pull in a #15 overall class. He would be souring them to future recruitments at Marquette or VCU.

xubrew
03-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Not very funny if true.
March 25, 2014

Actually, I think it is pretty funny. It's not nearly as funny as the football player who had the press conference to announce his commitment to Cal, and it turns out Cal never recruited him, but it is pretty funny.

BandAid
03-25-2014, 01:56 PM
I must say. I've been reading muscoop a fair amount the last couple of days. Those guys are funny. This thread might be my favorite: muscoop thread (http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43081.0;all). It's filled with "codes" and "riddles" of their insiders trying to calm them down.

Masterofreality
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Not very funny if true.
March 25, 2014

Many news outlets, especially in the state of Wisconsin, thought Shaka Smart was about to leave his post as VCU's men's basketball head coach to accept the same position at Marquette. That is not the case as the rumors Marquette had signed him were a hoax by a few Marquette journalism students on Twitter.

The students were saying that Smart going to Marquette was already done and the two sides had a six-year deal in place. There was supposed to be a 5:00 p.m. Press conference to announce it. Many TV and newspaper reporters went to cover it, but did not get what they wanted.

While there was a press conference to make an announcement all that was said was the basketball team will have an April 15 banquet at Harley-Davidson Museum.

This did not stop several Wisconsin news outlets from reporting Smart to Marquette being a done deal. AM 1250, FOX 11, and WISN 12 all either announced on air or posted on their website that this was a done deal despite their "sources" being a bunch of college kids that had just come off spring break.

All of the reporters that hikes down there were done in by premature Twitter news. While Marquette has not denied that they would love to have Smart as their coach, no direct negotiations have happened. According to Tim Pearrell at the Richmond Times Dispatch, Marquette and fellow suiting school Wake Forest have yet to contact VCU for permission to talk to Smart.

Pearrell sited that Smart signed a deal after the 2013 NCAA Tournament that runs through 2023 that will pay him $1.4-1.6 million per year. Smart has led VCU to four straight NCAA Tournament appearances including the 2011 Final Four to go with a 137-46 record in his five years at the school.

Smart has proven to be loyal to VCU, turning down offers to coach Minnesota, NC State, and UCLA in recent years. Smart is a native of Madison, Wis. but does not look like he will leave VCU to go back to his home state.

Marquette is also not amused with the rumors according to WTMJ Sports Director Doug Russell. Marquette has acknowledged to have contacted former UCLA coach Ben Howland about the job but not anyone else. Current UW-Green Bay head coach and Marquette alumni Brian Wardle is also thought to be a candidate for the job. Marquette has had the job vacant since former coach Buzz Williams left the program for Virginia Tech on Friday.

Baring something completely unforeseen, Marquette will be continuing their job hunt without mathematics possibility of Shaka Smart being their head coach. CBS Sports' Steve Lappas said there is no chance Smart goes to Marquette and Smart told VCU administration he is not going anywhere.

http://www.dudesonsports.com/dudes-on-hoops/2014/3/25/shaka-smart-to-marquette-a-hoax-set-up-by-journalism-students-on-twitter

This is freaking hilarious. I still think that they'll hire Wardle, based upon my Marquette acquaintances.

xsteve1
03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Was really hoping Shaka was the guy mainly because the league needs big name coaches due to perception. If not Shaka I hope it's Howland. Wardle screams mid-major and while he might be a great coach the league needs something to hang it's hat on after the disappointing start.

paulxu
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Paging Manti Te'o. Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Nigel Tufnel
03-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Has anyone on here been following the Marquette coaching search on muscoop? Holy shit....that has to be one of the most entertaining team boards I've ever read. The posters there are hilarious. And I'm not laughing at them or mocking them. The posts, pictures, GIFs, Memes....their posters have a great sense of humor. Sure, they have some complete lunatic fringe posters...but for the most part, they are pretty much mocking the university, the coaching search, social media...and themselves. Its worth a trip over there.

I've read on here how Marquette will end up being a rival and how their fans are arrogant. That may be true....but their message board has been must read material. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

The_Mack_Pack
03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah those guys are hilarious over at MUscoop. They've been speaking to each other in haikus for days.

Masterofreality
03-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Has anyone on here been following the Marquette coaching search on muscoop? Holy shit....that has to be one of the most entertaining team boards I've ever read. The posters there are hilarious. And I'm not laughing at them or mocking them. The posts, pictures, GIFs, Memes....their posters have a great sense of humor. Sure, they have some complete lunatic fringe posters...but for the most part, they are pretty much mocking the university, the coaching search, social media...and themselves. Its worth a trip over there.

I've read on here how Marquette will end up being a rival and how their fans are arrogant. That may be true....but their message board has been must read material. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

As usual, painting any group with a broad brush is inaccurate.

I know that the dump is what it is, but the guys at Blackburn Review are freaking hilarious...and good guys too. Hell, they're the ones who started calling us the "Overlords".

GoMuskies
03-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Apparently Skaka told Marquette nah, baby, nah.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10685190/shaka-smart-turns-marquette-golden-eagles

BandAid
03-27-2014, 08:44 PM
It sounds like they jumped through hoops for Shaka, even advancing the hire date of their new president. That sucks

LadyMuskie
03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
What job is Shaka waiting for? And/or what does VCU have on Smart?

GoMuskies
03-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Maybe he likes it there and is satisfied with the ridiculous salary they've guaranteed him through 2023.

BandAid
03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
I also think some of those guys in Milwaukee have been drinking a bit too much beer. Some of them are lobbying and praising Pastner as a good coach they should target!

LadyMuskie
03-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Maybe. It's interesting, that's for sure.

GoMuskies
03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
I also think some of those guys in Milwaukee have been drinking a bit too much beer. Some of them are lobbying and praising Pastner as a good coach they should target!

That's fine. We don't want the conference to be TOO strong. We DO want to rule it with an iron fist. Pastner to Marquette would help.

xavierj
03-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Anyone else think Archie said Dayton could be like Marquette for a reason? I mean why pick Marquette? Maybe he threw that out there as a hint to Marquette to come get me out of this hell hole they call a city in Ohio.

nkymuskie
03-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Lol. Pastner may be one of the worst actual coaches and talent developers in all of college basketball. I hope for the Big East's sake he never ends up in our conference.

Cheesehead
03-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Their interim AD who had retired but came out of retirement has agreed to stay on for one more year to provide some stability. I see them going after Howland now. Bruce Weber is now mentioned in their pool and Doc Rivers is assisting in search.

xsteve1
03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Their interim AD who had retired but came out of retirement has agreed to stay on for one more year to provide some stability. I see them going after Howland now. Bruce Weber is now mentioned in their pool and Doc Rivers is assisting in search.

Bruce Weber, please. That has to be a joke.

xubrew
03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
If Marquette hires Bruce Weber, I will not stop laughing for at least a week.

Cheesehead
03-28-2014, 09:32 AM
I think this more of someone in local media threw out Weber's name since he is from Milwaukee and then his names gets reported as fact for pool of candidates. I think Marquette goes after Howland now but their AD has hired asst coaches in the past: O'Neil, Crean, and then Buzz. Wardle will always be there. So IMO, it's either they pick an "up & coming" asst or they make play for Howland.

LA Muskie
03-28-2014, 11:47 AM
The longer this goes, the less likely it will be Howland. He won't want the perception that he was option 4, 5, or 6. I also think the longer this drags out for both Wake and Marquette (the only "good" jobs available), the more likely that Archie Miller becomes a rich, rich man.

xsteve1
03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
The longer this goes, the less likely it will be Howland. He won't want the perception that he was option 4, 5, or 6. I also think the longer this drags out for both Wake and Marquette (the only "good" jobs available), the more likely that Archie Miller becomes a rich, rich man.

Supposedly Archie declined to talk with Marquette per Goodman. I would think that has to do with his team is still playing.

bleedXblue
03-28-2014, 12:07 PM

Is Miller really going to bolt after just signing an extension less than a week ago ? I don't think so.

casualfan
03-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Why?

X-band '01
03-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Because Doc is a Marquette alum.

Muskie
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Is Miller really going to bolt after just signing an extension less than a week ago ? I don't think so.

Depends on the $$$ offered.

94GRAD
03-28-2014, 12:59 PM

I bet you one beer Archie will not be the head coach of dayton next year

CSS85
03-28-2014, 01:22 PM

At the risk of revealing that I am a small minded person, I hope this is correct. Xavier has never had a coach stay after making an elite 8 and I would have a hard time accepting the fact that Dayton can accomplish something Xavier couldn't.

The_Mack_Pack
03-28-2014, 01:25 PM
At the risk of revealing that I am a small minded person, I hope this is correct. Xavier has never had a coach stay after making an elite 8 and I would have a hard time accepting the fact that Dayton can accomplish something Xavier couldn't.

Sean did stay through the next season's Sweet 16 run. That loss to Pitt where we couldn't hit a friggin layup in the second half still stings.

GoMuskies
03-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Sean Miller stayed a year after his Elite Eight run at Xavier.

bleedXblue
03-28-2014, 01:26 PM

I know where to find you. You're on.

nuts4xu
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM

That extension will not keep Archie from leaving dayton. It was a pro-active move on part of the university, and a sign of support. It allows Archie to tell recruits the university is committed to him as their coach. The new contract may have a buyout clause, but I highly doubt the new deal will prevent another school from hiring him.

Masterofreality
03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Sean Miller stayed a year after his Elite Eight run at Xavier.

Correctimundo, sir. Through the haze of bourbon shots, which I recollect we shared at Quincy Market, I seem to remember Derrick Brown's little toe just barely on a baseline, or else we would have had two consecutive E-8's.

GoMuskies
03-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Correctimundo, sir. Through the haze of bourbon shots, which I recollect we shared at Quincy Market, I seem to remember Derrick Brown's little toe just barely on a baseline, or else we would have had two consecutive E-8's.

We'd have had a lot more fun that weekend. A. LOT. MORE. FUN. Clarke's has never been the same (or so I'm told).

Masterofreality
03-28-2014, 03:06 PM
We'd have had a lot more fun that weekend. A. LOT. MORE. FUN. Clarke's has never been the same (or so I'm told).

Hell, yeah, we would have. Damn, why couldn't Derrick's foot be 2 inches shorter?

More Cowbell
03-28-2014, 03:14 PM
How quickly did Thad leave after his extension?

Masterofreality
03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
How quickly did Thad leave after his extension?

They extended him in June 2002. He left in June 2004 after the E8 at his highest market value which is what Kid Yuma's is now.

Here's what Beaknose said upon his Xavier contract extension to 2010.

""The commitment that Mike Bobinski, (President) Fr. Mike Graham and the entire university have made to our program is both gratifying and humbling," Matta said. "It makes us feel good about what we've accomplished and drives us to work even harder. I couldn't be happier with my situation than I am at Xavier."

Well, I guess he got happier still.

Cheesehead
03-31-2014, 07:11 AM
With its history of success with assistant coaches, Marquette is showing a willingness to look that way again.

Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, who has been a part of Mike Krzyzewski's staff for 15 years, is on the Golden Eagles' list of head-coaching candidates, Yahoo Sports reported Sunday night.

Wojciechowski has been with Krzyzewski as an assistant since 1999 after he finished a playing career as one of the Blue Devils' all-time leading point guards.

He has been part of two national championships at Duke and assisted Krzyzewski at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Marquette's last three coaches — Kevin O'Neill, Tom Crean and Buzz Williams — all came up as assistants, although Williams did have one year of head-coaching experience at the University of New Orleans.

The Golden Eagles have been looking for a coach since March 21, when Williams resigned to go to Virginia Tech.

Marquette is also considering former UCLA coach Ben Howland, Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin and UW-Green Bay coach Brian Wardle among others.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/name-of-duke-aide-wojciechowski-comes-up-in-mus-coaching-search-b99236611z1-253138281.html#ixzz2xXdLmJcL
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

GoMuskies
03-31-2014, 07:56 AM
From Smart to Wojo. Suicide watch time in Milwaukee.

Masterofreality
03-31-2014, 08:01 AM
From Smart to Wojo. Suicide watch time in Milwaukee.

Like I said on the other thread. Why would you prefer a 15 year Dook assistant over a Marquette guy like Wardle who is a present head coach?

xsteve1
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
I seriously doubt MU will give WoJo or Wardle anywhere near 2 million if either gets the job. They can probably get away with less than a mill. for those two.

casualfan
03-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Does anyone else find it a little concerning that given the commitment they've made to basketball (2nd most money spent per player of any school) and the money they willing to throw around (I've seen anywhere from 2/8 to over 3 mil per year) that Marquette is having trouble with their top tier candidates?

Muskie
03-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Does anyone else find it a little concerning that given the commitment they've made to basketball (2nd most money spent per player of any school) and the money they willing to throw around (I've seen anywhere from 2/8 to over 3 mil per year) that Marquette is having trouble with their top tier candidates?

They just hired a President (like last week) and have an interim AD. It's not like they are the perfect situation waiving a ton of money at people. There are some question marks (don't most AD's like to be in on a new hire)?

Xman95
03-31-2014, 09:50 AM

I think the way Buzz left, some of the rumors surrounding his departure, and the fact that he bolted for VaTech has made some people question that job. Now, the situation with Shaka Smart might be a little different because he has rejected other offers in the past. He seems like he's genuinely happy at VCU and the only thing that will lure him away is a BIG TIME job. While we might think MU is a step up from VCU, it's not like it's UNC, Duke, Indiana (a job that might be open within a year), etc. The problem for Smart is those jobs don't open up often. However, if one does, you can be sure he'll be on the short list of candidates.

As for MU, they'll either have to go the assistant route or overwhelm someone like Archie Miller with a "can't turn that down" type of deal.

casualfan
03-31-2014, 10:03 AM
I think the way Buzz left, some of the rumors surrounding his departure, and the fact that he bolted for VaTech has made some people question that job. Now, the situation with Shaka Smart might be a little different because he has rejected other offers in the past. He seems like he's genuinely happy at VCU and the only thing that will lure him away is a BIG TIME job. While we might think MU is a step up from VCU, it's not like it's UNC, Duke, Indiana (a job that might be open within a year), etc. The problem for Smart is those jobs don't open up often. However, if one does, you can be sure he'll be on the short list of candidates.

As for MU, they'll either have to go the assistant route or overwhelm someone like Archie Miller with a "can't turn that down" type of deal.

That's what I'm saying though.

If MU is having trouble attracting good candidates with all the money they spend on bball and the money they are reportedly willing to throw at a coach's salary I shudder to think about some of the candidates other schools in the league might come up with if/when they need them.

casualfan
03-31-2014, 10:04 AM
They just hired a President (like last week) and have an interim AD. It's not like they are the perfect situation waiving a ton of money at people. There are some question marks (don't most AD's like to be in on a new hire)?

$3 million is $3 million. They shouldn't have this much trouble finding a big name to take that deal regardless of what their admin situation is.

Muskie
03-31-2014, 10:13 AM
$3 million is $3 million. They shouldn't have this much trouble finding a big name to take that deal regardless of what their admin situation is.

College coaches are fickle. If a guy can commaned 3 mil from Marquette he can command 3 million from Wake Forest (who has a known commodity at AD). I think you're discounting the unrest in Milwaukee.

casualfan
03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
College coaches are fickle. If a guy can commaned 3 mil from Marquette he can command 3 million from Wake Forest (who has a known commodity at AD). I think you're discounting the unrest in Milwaukee.

That's my point. It concerns me that all the sudden Marquette is on the same level as a job like Wake (or even worse).

That didn't used to be the case. What changed?

LA Muskie
03-31-2014, 10:19 AM

Just because they were paying Buzz nearly $3mm/yr and just because they were willing to continue that spend in Shaka doesn't mean they would pay that to the likes of Wojo or Archie or others.

Muskie
03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Just because they were paying Buzz nearly $3mm/yr and just because they were willing to continue that spend in Shaka doesn't mean they would pay that to the likes of Wojo or Archie or others.
I'll make myself available to coach at Marquette for 2.5... just saying.

The_Mack_Pack
03-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Had Marquette ever been able to hire a known commodity? Their past 3 coaches have all been assistants I think. People HATED the Buzz hire but that worked out pretty well.

XUFan09
03-31-2014, 10:31 AM
That's my point. It concerns me that all the sudden Marquette is on the same level as a job like Wake (or even worse).

That didn't used to be the case. What changed?

The uncertainty at who is going to be at Marquette; it all comes down to that. Think about it: Would you be a little hesitant to take a new job if you didn't know who your immediate boss was going to be?

casualfan
03-31-2014, 11:23 AM
The uncertainty at who is going to be at Marquette; it all comes down to that. Think about it: Would you be a little hesitant to take a new job if you didn't know who your immediate boss was going to be?

If it paid what they're rumored to be willing to pay no I wouldn't be. Especially if I was a guy like Cuonzo Martin who before lucking into a tourney run was probably headed for the hot seat at UT.

I'm not saying that Smart or Howland should be jumping at that job, but the fact they are now courting Wojo leads me to believe they are quite a ways down their list.