PDA

View Full Version : Marquette Turmoil

Always Learning
03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
So Buzz leaves for VaTech, and let me add for $18 million, that's million $2.55 a year for seven years. To live in Blacksburg vs Milwaukee. What a no-brainer.
But how about the real story of what in the hell is going on at Marquette.

1( The president resigns, and they have an "acting" president.
2) The AD resigns, supposedly due to conflicts with Buzz, and they have an acting AD.
3) The CEO of the Bradley Center, and the key person in Marquette athletics says Buzz's decision defies reasoning.

I personally think Buzz is a very good coach, and I think VaTech make a quick and wise choice.

Now the front people for the MU job centers on the UW-Green Bay coach, an ex MU player, another former player who is an assistant at UW-Madison, and Ben Howland who just got passed over for the Auburn job. (Bruce was a better fit for the "y'all's).

Can't see Marquette passing up the former Pitt and UCLA coach.

xu2002
03-22-2014, 12:03 PM
So Buzz leaves for VaTech, and let me add for $18 million, that's million $2.55 a year for seven years. To live in Blacksburg vs Milwaukee. What a no-brainer.

He was making $2.8 million a year at Marquette, so he took less money to go to a nothing basketball program. There are rumblings of either possible violations coming or a falling out with Buzz and the University where he was nicely asked to look elsewhere. We'll see what comes of it. The move really doesn't seem to make much sense.

XU2011
03-22-2014, 12:26 PM
If they want to stay with a Jesuit president, they will likely make a run at Graham.

He'd be about 3 hours closer to family... national research university.

If Graham left, it would be interesting to see what Xavier does. Graham certainly hasn't prepared anyone internally for the role.

94GRAD
03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
If they want to stay with a Jesuit president, they will likely make a run at Graham.

He'd be about 3 hours closer to family... national research university.

If Graham left, it would be interesting to see what Xavier does. Graham certainly hasn't prepared anyone internally for the role.

That would make a lot of people very happy.

XU2011
03-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Marquette currently has an interim President, interim Provost, interim Athletic Director, interim Dean of the Business College and a vacant men's basketball head coach position.

Probably the 5 of the most important positions in a University (outside of VP of development/advancement) are either vacant or have an interim individual.

That's a lot to step into.

XU2011
03-22-2014, 12:40 PM
That would make a lot of people very happy.

Agreed.

It certainly would not be the worst thing to happen to Xavier. Graham presided over a truly transformative 14 years as President, but 14 years is a long time. Given the several missteps over the last couple years, I'm not sure a new perspective and energy is the worst thing that could happen.

xukeith
03-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Bring Catholicism back to Xavier.
All their commercials NEVER mention one thing about Catholic or a faith school. Sad. Scared of displaying Catholic teachings.

LA Muskie
03-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Father Graham isn't going a anywhere. His blood ain't red it's Muskie Blue. There is no one -- NO ONE -- who cares more about Xavier University. Period.

XU2011
03-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Father Graham isn't going a anywhere. His blood ain't red it's Muskie Blue. There is no one -- NO ONE -- who cares more about Xavier University. Period.

Settle down, LA. I'm not saying he will go, but you've got to think Marquette will make a strong push for him, espeically if they want to stay with a Jesuit. And he would have to consider it. 5 hours to family rather than 8. National research university. Significantly larger. More of a national brand.

When Jim Hoff left Creighton for Xavier (which he didn't want to do) I'm guessing people said Hoff's blood ain't red- it's Creighton Blue. There is no one- NO ONE- who cares more about Creighton University than Jim Hoff. Period.

Thank God whoever said that was wrong.

LA Muskie
03-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Wasn't directed to you 2011. I'm sure Marquette will make a run at him. But he's been at Xavier for 25 years and I'm sure he's had plenty of opportunities to leave. I know him well. I consider him a friend. You never know everything about someone but I would be very surprised if he left, particularly right now. He's not one to leave with unfinished business and he still has things on his agenda that he very much wants to accomplish.

xudash
03-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Thank you - again.

Good lord, would some of you try to comprehend what Xavier is doing right now in terms of planning for its future. And if you can do that, please understand that Father Graham is at the center of that process, guiding it very well.

BMoreX
03-22-2014, 02:13 PM
All their commercials NEVER mention one thing about Catholic or a faith school. Sad. Scared of displaying Catholic teachings.

I wonder what other Catholic universities say in their commercials.

Obviously we are privy to XU commercials during practically every game, but it wouldn't surprise me if other Catholic schools didn't display their Catholicism in TV ads.

vee4xu
03-22-2014, 02:14 PM
As my good friend dash knows better than me, X is in full swing with the silent fundraising portion of the recently started push of increase the endowment. Add to that, X is in the midst of a major campus transformation. At this point, Xavier has to be everything or more than what Marquette aims or wants to be. If not and UM wants Fr. Graham to lead that effort, I just can't see him at this point in his career wanting to go to UM, or anywhere for that matter, and start all over with what he's been doing at X for that past 10 years. There's a bunch more work to do at X, so I can't envision Fr. Graham leaving that undone and not being here to harvest the fruits of his own labor on Victory Parkway.

vee4xu
03-22-2014, 02:17 PM
p.s. - what's going on now at X was kicked off by Fr. Hoff, but was achieved by Fr. Graham's efforts. What is happening on campus now and the push for a larger endowment is Fr. Graham's legacy. I just don't see him walking away and letting someone else finish the process.

STL_XUfan
03-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Wasn't directed to you 2011. I'm sure Marquette will make a run at him. But he's been at Xavier for 25 years and I'm sure he's had plenty of opportunities to leave.

Honest question: Does he get a choice? Can he be hired away or is he assigned there by the provost.

RoadWarrior
03-22-2014, 09:06 PM
#1and#2 were the direct result of the 2011 gang-rape by MU BBall player that was swept under the rug.
#3 is the direct result of the Marquette Board of Trustees giving 100% support of William in effort to win a NC...only to have him bail.
Check out the following articles:
http://m.jsonline.com/124927089.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06-21/sports/ct-met-marquette-sex-assaults-20110621_1_sexual-assault-sexual-attack-allegation-crimes

LadyMuskie
03-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Please. If Xavier was scared of displaying Catholic teachings it would change its name.

GIMMFD
03-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Please. If Xavier was scared of displaying Catholic teachings it would change its name.

And the core wouldn't consist of 9 hours of Theology and Philosophy, Manresa wouldn't exist, etc.

GoMuskies
03-23-2014, 07:56 AM
To address a couple of the points:

It wouldn't bother me a bit if Father Graham left. I'm not a big Graham hater, but he's been at Xavier a long time. I think it's good to get some new blood with different perspectives into those leadership positions after a while.

As to Xavier, the place never struck me as very Catholic when I was there 20 years ago. For better or for worse. It certainly didn't bother me at the time, and I'm certainly not going to scream for the place to become more like Ave Maria at this point.

muskienick
03-23-2014, 08:33 AM
To address a couple of the points:

It wouldn't bother me a bit if Father Graham left. I'm not a big Graham hater, but he's been at Xavier a long time. I think it's good to get some new blood with different perspectives into those leadership positions after a while.

As to Xavier, the place never struck me as very Catholic when I was there 20 years ago. For better or for worse. It certainly didn't bother me at the time, and I'm certainly not going to scream for the place to become more like Ave Maria at this point.

I'd rather have Fr. Graham and know what we have instead of a Fr. D'Ulio (spelling looks wrong) who was pretty pathetic. Like him or not, Graham has overseen a wonderful transformation of the campus. I think we should take care not to think every Xavier President has to live up to the status of Fr. Jim Hoff.

JTG
03-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Some of you need to be careful what you wish for. I was at X during the Mulligan era. He nearly dismantled the university. It was slowly circling the drain by 73.I think it was on the verge of closing. I dont know why so many people have an issue with Graham. All I know is that Xavier is a pretty spectacular place,complared to the floundering, disfunctional school I graduated from in the 70s.

DC Muskie
03-23-2014, 08:56 AM
When Jim Hoff left Creighton for Xavier (which he didn't want to do) I'm guessing people said Hoff's blood ain't red- it's Creighton Blue. There is no one- NO ONE- who cares more about Creighton University than Jim Hoff. Period.

What a terrible comparison.

DC Muskie
03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Wasn't directed to you 2011. I'm sure Marquette will make a run at him. But he's been at Xavier for 25 years and I'm sure he's had plenty of opportunities to leave. I know him well. I consider him a friend. You never know everything about someone but I would be very surprised if he left, particularly right now. He's not one to leave with unfinished business and he still has things on his agenda that he very much wants to accomplish.

There's always going to be "unfinished" business when it comes to leading institutions like Xavier. In my experience, I think ten years is enough of a stay before handing the reigns over to someone else to lead the charge.

I'm a big Mike Graham fan. He's done some great things for the school, but when he leaves or steps down, our trajectory will always continue to rise.

XU2011
03-23-2014, 09:40 AM
What a terrible comparison.

Uh, why. Lol.

I was responding to someone saying Graham would never leave because he bleeds Xavier blue and no one- no one- cares more about Xavier than Graham. Period.

That's pretty presumptuous. About as presumptuous as Creighton folks believing Jim
Hoff would never leave Creighton because he bled Creighton blue and no one cared more about the University than he did. Or really stating any person for any position. Ego does crazy things. We all know Graham has enough of that (you have to have some in his position or you end up like Pilarz at Marquette fired after 2 years), and the opportunity to lead a national research university with a national brand closer to home that appears to really be at a crossroads has to be somewhat appealing.

Cheesehead
03-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Buzz Williams once told me he turned down the Southern Methodist job a few years ago because nobody cared about SMU basketball. He said he didn't take Southern California's calls for basically the same reason.

Williams, eccentricities and all, loved being front and center at a basketball-first school like Marquette, rich in tradition with its willingness to spend, spend, spend on the men's basketball program.

In fact, I've been told that's why he didn't go to Oklahoma in 2012. The Sooners took one look at how lavishly Williams was living at Marquette in terms of recruiting and travel and decided he was too rich for even their oil-infused blood.

At more than $260,000 per player per year, Marquette spends more on men's basketball than any school in the country except Duke. At $2.8 million a season, Williams was drawing a top-10 salary. The Golden Eagles stay in five-star hotels and little expense is spared on the coach during recruiting trips.

So why would he go to a place like Virginia Tech, a football school where like SMU and USC nobody cares about basketball? While it offers the chance to coach in the Atlantic Coast Conference — and the opportunity to get hammered by Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Louisville and Virginia — VPI in every way is a step down from Marquette.

A coaching graveyard, Virginia Tech is a bad job. I'm surprised Williams would jump just to jump, which pretty much was what Friday's thunderbolt event was all about.

A terrific coach, Williams is a peculiar man who needs constant love and attention. After his first bad season in six years at Marquette, a 17-15 record and no postseason tournament, Williams apparently did not find the adoration that came with taking the Golden Eagles to three Sweet 16 appearances in three years.

He was confused and questioning himself about strategy, rotations and recruiting after the abrupt end to the season. He was unusually reclusive, which was the first hint he was looking around for someone new to love and appreciate him.

I sincerely wish him luck at dead-end Virginia Tech because he is an engaging personality who will be missed. But now he's gone and Marquette is back to the same question that has dogged it for years, despite the resources it puts into its cash cow:

How does Marquette shake the reputation that it is a steppingstone job?

I don't think that is an accurate description. Tom Crean left because Indiana is Indiana. Kevin O'Neill, who wishes he'd lever left, had itchy feet, was always looking around and had the need to be hugged, just like Williams.

The Golden Eagles are not ideally situated to make a major hire because they have an interim athletic director and an interim president. But Bill Cords got it right with O'Neill and Crean, and there is a chance he could do it again with insight from Mike Broeker, the associate AD who worked in the NBA and is a keen judge of coaching talent.

Ben Howland is hot for the job, and the former UCLA and Pitt coach would lend credibility as the kind of established name Marquette has never really landed. On the other hand, Crean was an assistant coach. So was Williams. Nobody knew him from Buzz Lightyear at the time of his hiring, and that worked out just fine.

I'd give Brian Wardle major consideration. The former Marquette standout has done really good things at UW-Green Bay. And I'm not sure how Cords would feel about hiring a guy with any kind of Wisconsin connection, but North Dakota State coach Saul Phillips, a Reedsburg native who played at UW-Platteville and coached at UW-Milwaukee and Madison for Bo Ryan, has become an NCAA Tournament darling for his wit, coaching ability and the Bison's upset of Oklahoma.

Since Al McGuire, Marquette has employed Hank Raymonds, Rick Majerus, Bob Dukiet, O'Neill, Mike Deane, Crean and Williams. With an exception or two, that's not a bad run.

It also gave Williams everything he needed to be successful, and even that was not enough in the end.

Now it's time for stability, someone who will see Marquette for what it is and commit to the program.

Send email to mhunt@journalsentinel.com

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/buzz-williams-needed-someone-new-to-appreciate-him-b99230830z1-251607361.html#ixzz2wnTWf3Mm
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

GoMuskies
03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Mike Deane used Marquette as a steppingstone to Lamar and Wagner.

DC Muskie
03-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Uh, why. Lol.

I was responding to someone saying Graham would never leave because he bleeds Xavier blue and no one- no one- cares more about Xavier than Graham. Period.

That's pretty presumptuous. About as presumptuous as Creighton folks believing Jim
Hoff would never leave Creighton because he bled Creighton blue and no one cared more about the University than he did. Or really stating any person for any position. Ego does crazy things. We all know Graham has enough of that (you have to have some in his position or you end up like Pilarz at Marquette fired after 2 years), and the opportunity to lead a national research university with a national brand closer to home that appears to really be at a crossroads has to be somewhat appealing.

It's pretty presumptuous to think that people at Creighton would want Top Jimmy to stay in the position he was in rather than move up to take a president job. It's a terrible comparison.

Also, when making the argument about ego, which I tend to agree with actually, being closer to home is about 500,000 on the list when it comes to making these decisions. If Graham thinks the challenge of Marquette is worth it, he'll go. Not because a three hour time difference that he made a quarter century ago.

DC Muskie
03-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I forgot Kevin O'Neil coached there. Basketball Diaries!

BMoreX
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM
2014 recruit Sandy Cohen is already trying to get out of his NLI.

And so it begins...

LA Muskie
03-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Marquette's loss will probably be VA Tech's gain (at least to some degree).

The_Mack_Pack
03-23-2014, 12:22 PM
I hope they hire Howland. That would be an upgrade over Buzz IMO.

GoMuskies
03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
If there's currently "turmoil", I doubt Howland's their guy. That's a pretty big part of why he got canned at UCLA.

THRILLHOUSE
03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
If there's currently "turmoil", I doubt Howland's their guy. That's a pretty big part of why he got canned at UCLA.

Apparently Howland and Marquette have been talking over the weekend and there is mutual interest. If I were a Marquette fan I would probably prefer the Green Bay coach, or at least see if Archie would be interested. But Howland would be a decent hire.

LA Muskie
03-23-2014, 12:47 PM

I don't recall any turmoil at Pitt. The UCLA marriage was just bad in every aspect except on the court. I could see him succeeding in the Big East (again). Although selfishly I'd hate to see the jackass working the sidelines in conference tilts. His sour puss annoys the hell out of me.

Muskie
03-23-2014, 01:25 PM
In following this situation so far, I'm amazed at the names being thrown around for Buzz's replacement. Makes me wonder what the names would be like if this job was open (i'm not advocating a change at X).

LA Muskie
03-23-2014, 01:30 PM
In following this situation so far, I'm amazed at the names being thrown around for Buzz's replacement. Makes me wonder what the names would be like if this job was open (i'm not advocating a change at X).

Not remotely as big. We pay 1/3 what Marquette paid Buzz. And Marquette has a higher profile.

Muskie
03-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Not remotely as big. We pay 1/3 what Marquette paid Buzz. And Marquette has a higher profile.

Kind of what I figured.

JTG
03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
There's a huge amount of uncertainty with no prez and no ad. And if stuff was being swept under the rug, you have no idea what you're stepping inrto. Especially wwhen the coach leaves for a coaching graveyard...makes you wonder what might be behind the scenes.

BandAid
03-23-2014, 03:50 PM
New rumor floating around muscoop is Shaka

Muskie
03-23-2014, 04:30 PM

VCU would have a tough time replacing him.

Masterofreality
03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

With the last vestige of his Final 4 team graduating, I'd say that the time might be right for a move.

THRILLHOUSE
03-23-2014, 04:43 PM

I don't really agree with that, VCU is a good job and they are pretty committed to the bball program. They have had a good run of coaches there, they might not get another Shaka but I think they will still get a good young up and coming coach whenever Smart does decide to leave.

Of course those previous coaches have struggled after leaving their success at VCU, so maybe Smart sees that, decides the grass isn't always greener and will stay at VCU.

xsteve1
03-23-2014, 04:44 PM
With the last vestige of his Final 4 team graduating, I'd say that the time might be right for a move.

VCU has a really good recruiting class coming in.

Masterofreality
03-23-2014, 04:45 PM
VCU has a really good recruiting class coming in.

Buzz did too.

xudash
03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Interim president and athletic director notwithstanding, why did Marquette drop Buzz's buyout to $100,000?

MHettel
03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Interim president and athletic director notwithstanding, why did Marquette drop Buzz's buyout to $100,000?

Sounds like AD leaving triggered it in his contract

LA Muskie
03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Sounds like AD leaving triggered it in his contract

This is correct.

LA Muskie
03-23-2014, 05:00 PM

I'd be very surprised if he turned down UCLA only to take a job at Marquette, cost of living and cultural differences notwithstanding.

BMoreX
03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
I'd be very surprised if he turned down UCLA only to take a job at Marquette, cost of living and cultural differences notwithstanding.

He is from Madison, WI.

BandAid
03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
I still think Shaka is a long shot and wishful thinking, but if they do land him that'd be awesome for the conference

THRILLHOUSE
03-23-2014, 05:07 PM
I still think Shaka is a long shot and wishful thinking, but if they do land him that'd be awesome for the conference

I agree. The Marquette admin has to at least see if Shaka would be interested even if it is a long shot.

Cheesehead
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Shaka would be great and did grow up in Madison as stated. I don't see Marshall leaving Wichita State for Marquette but who the hell knows anymore. Howland wins but not sure I want his baggage. I could see Marquette going with Wardle and it would save them some money right now and at a time when they are having some budget issues.

vee4xu
03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Archie. Archie. Archie. Archie.

Actually, I am more convinced than ever that Archie is headed to Wake after his season ends. He played at NC State, so is an ACC guy who can speak ACC-talk to recruits. It's a chance to escape the A-10, build some momentum in a league where he understands the culture and rivalries. All while making more dough than at ud.

xsteve1
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Archie. Archie. Archie. Archie.

Actually, I am more convinced than ever that Archie is headed to Wake after his season ends. He played at NC State, so is an ACC guy who can speak ACC-talk to recruits. It's a chance to escape the A-10, build some momentum in a league where he understands the culture and rivalries. All while making more dough than at ud.

I'll bet Bobo wishes he could fire Gregory about now. Lock, stock and Barrel he'd go after Archie.

Masterofreality
03-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Shaka would be great and did grow up in Madison as stated. I don't see Marshall leaving Wichita State for Marquette but who the hell knows anymore. Howland wins but not sure I want his baggage. I could see Marquette going with Wardle and it would save them some money right now and at a time when they are having some budget issues.

A couple of Marquette people who I know have texted me that actually Wardle is probably the guy they would like.

X-band '01
03-23-2014, 06:21 PM
If they hire Wardle, he would be the first person ever to be an opposing player AND head coach in the Cintas Center.

#wgaf

Cheesehead
03-23-2014, 09:03 PM
A couple of Marquette people who I know have texted me that actually Wardle is probably the guy they would like.

Agreed, MOR. Much cheaper than Buzzz too

Always Learning
03-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Never saw my post about MU's turmoil re: Buzz would turn into a ball-hood discussion about Father Graham. If Buzz's 2.8 million salary at MU is true, and I really question that, then moving to Blacksburg for less money, and a less BB rep school in a buzz-saw conference is really a stunner. However, if that MU salary is based on a lot of bonus tags, say $800K of them, then money does become a factor.
Some say Buzz wants to be loved. Everyone wants to be loved, well almost everyone.
I'll leave with this comment. Why is it so many X folks refer to our Jesuit presidents by their last name only? Shouldn't they ALWAYS, be referred to as "FATHER?" Yeah I'm old school, but we never referred to a collar as anything but "Father."
Pace Domini!

LA Muskie
03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Why is it so many X folks refer to our Jesuit presidents by their last name only? Shouldn't they ALWAYS, be referred to as "FATHER?" Yeah I'm old school, but we never referred to a collar as anything but "Father."
Pace Domini!
It shows a lack of respect. And it's not universal. But it is disturbing.

outsideobserver11
03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Archie signed a contract extension this morning with Dayton through the 2018-2019 season. Interesting.

LA Muskie
03-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Archie signed a contract extension this morning with Dayton through the 2018-2019 season. Interesting.
Unless it included a huge buyout, it's pretty meaningless. Although I tend to disagree with others who posit that he's leaving this year. Like his brother, I think he's got his sights set higher. I just don't see any marquee jobs out there for him. And I don't think he's ready for a marquee job yet, anyway.

Cheesehead
03-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Never saw my post about MU's turmoil re: Buzz would turn into a ball-hood discussion about Father Graham. If Buzz's 2.8 million salary at MU is true, and I really question that, then moving to Blacksburg for less money, and a less BB rep school in a buzz-saw conference is really a stunner. However, if that MU salary is based on a lot of bonus tags, say $800K of them, then money does become a factor.
Some say Buzz wants to be loved. Everyone wants to be loved, well almost everyone.
I'll leave with this comment. Why is it so many X folks refer to our Jesuit presidents by their last name only? Shouldn't they ALWAYS, be referred to as "FATHER?" Yeah I'm old school, but we never referred to a collar as anything but "Father."
Pace Domini!

2.8 mil for Buzz; not sure of the specifics. But the figure is accurate. Marquette also donated a substantial amount of money to his foundation

bleedXblue
03-24-2014, 12:16 PM
I think there's a pretty interesting dynamic you're seeing at the college bball level. You have a host of guys that are staying at what I would consider to be good jobs, but not top jobs and still thriving and making a very good living. Shaka Smart, Gregg Marshall, Mark Few, Jay Wright and I would even throw in Brad Stevens (who couldnt turn down the Celtics job.....can you balme him?). You all to often see guys in great situations, take the cash and in the end it doesnt work out (Crean is dangerously close to being out at Indiana...had a great gig at Marquette, Stan Heath, Ben Howland. Im sure there a lot more that I'm missing........point is, sometimes it's just as good or better a gig to stay and thrive in a situation you know you can be successful in.

THRILLHOUSE
03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Saw this on twitter:

"@jerrymeyer247 Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon."

xsteve1
03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Saw this on twitter:

"@jerrymeyer247 Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon."

Bringing Shaka in would be not only a huge coup for Marquette but for the league as well. He would also probably be able to keep most of the recruits. Hope it happens. Marquette must be throwing huge money around.

GoMuskies
03-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Wow, net positive for the State of Wisconsin and a net negative for the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Caveat
03-24-2014, 01:27 PM
I'll come out and say it -- I was really happy to leave the "Havoc" defense behind in the A10. I'm not looking forward to seeing it come back to Cintas if Smart to Marquette turns out to be true.

smileyy
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I dunno...will Shaka be able to resist that offer from USF: http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/3/21/5534966/buzz-williams-to-marquette-shaka-smart-to-tampa

Spittake worthy:

But all might not be lost Bulls fans, and add another reach candidate to the list: We're hearing Shaka Smart of VCU will be getting serious consideration for the USF job as well.

I don't think that's the direction that "consideration" for that job goes.

Muskie
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
How did Havoc due with the new fouling enforcement? Obviously they still did well, but they also had a ton of talent.

Milhouse
03-24-2014, 01:44 PM
This would be huge for the Big East though. Much much bigger than Buzz Leaving.

The_Mack_Pack
03-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Bringing in Shaka is an A++ move for Marquette. That's great for the BE!

XU2011
03-24-2014, 02:07 PM
It shows a lack of respect. And it's not universal. But it is disturbing.

Um, no.

Many Jesuits go by their name alone and do not use Father.

For example, if you read the bulletin at a Jesuit Church, many just say "John Smith" when talking about their priest or John Smith, S.J. when in an official/staff listing. Additionally, I've heard Bobinski introduce Graham to someone as "this is Xavier's President, Mike Graham."

LA Muskie
03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Um, no.

Many Jesuits go by their name alone and do not use Father.

For example, if you read the bulletin at a Jesuit Church, many just say "John Smith" when talking about their priest or John Smith, S.J. when in an official/staff listing. Additionally, I've heard Bobinski introduce Graham to someone as "this is Xavier's President, Mike Graham."

I've spent 7 years at Jesuit schools. They were always "Father" and always will be. I've known him for 22 years now and he has always been and always will be Father Graham to me. (Even when we got kicked out of The Woods together.). I wouldn't even fathom calling him, or Fr. La Rocca, or anyone else by their proper title.

Juice
03-24-2014, 02:33 PM
How did Havoc due with the new fouling enforcement? Obviously they still did well, but they also had a ton of talent.

6th ranked defense on KenPom

GoMuskies
03-24-2014, 02:35 PM
I'd probably call La Rocca asshole if I saw him. And I actually happen to like that huge pain in the ass.

These are, of course, first world problems (granted, so are almost all of the "controversies" on this site).

Masterofreality
07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Todd Mayo......Gonzo.

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/wi-sports/Report-Todd-Mayo-leaving-Marquette-to-pursue-professional-career-269291081.html?lc=Tablet

GoMuskies
07-30-2014, 07:04 PM
24 and still a junior? Geez.

Chalmers0
07-31-2014, 07:44 AM
I definitely see Mayo leaving as addition by subtraction. Even for a team low on players.

waggy
07-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Mayo could ball in the hole though.

casualfan
07-31-2014, 10:33 AM
24 and still a junior? Geez.

I'm pretty sure he would've been a senior this year and he's actually only 23. He was born in march of 91.

Same age Myles will be as a senior and Jalen will actually be 24. Those in glass houses and all that...

GoMuskies
07-31-2014, 10:44 AM
Those in glass houses and all that...

I was 21 when I graduated.

casualfan
07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

Congrats. I look forward to your negative comments about myles and jalen.

Or is it different when they play for X?

GoMuskies
07-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Congrats. I look forward to your negative comments about myles and jalen.

Stay tuned!

mistabeecee41
07-31-2014, 11:01 AM
Seems like the guys on MUscoop are taking a "GOOD RIDDANCE" stance here.

It's almost like a Mark Lyons kind of situation... except Mark Lyons was MUCH better than Todd Mayo.

Kahns Krazy
07-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Wasn't Sato like 32?

GoMuskies
07-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Wasn't Sato like 32?

You're thinking of Greg Oden as a freshman.

PMI
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Seems like the guys on MUscoop are taking a "GOOD RIDDANCE" stance here.

It's almost like a Mark Lyons kind of situation... except Mark Lyons was MUCH better than Todd Mayo.

So it's more like a Justin Martin situation?

It'll be very interesting to see what Marquette does over the next year or two. The league definitely needs them to be good.

OH.X.MI
10-09-2014, 09:51 AM
So it's more like a Justin Martin situation?

It'll be very interesting to see what Marquette does over the next year or two. The league definitely needs them to be good.

Well Wojciechowski seems to be off to a good start. Just landed Henry Ellenson, number 4 in ESPN's class of 2015 top 100.

mistabeecee41
10-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Well Wojciechowski seems to be off to a good start. Just landed Henry Ellenson, number 4 in ESPN's class of 2015 top 100.

Fantastic news for the Big East. Last year SHU snatched up 5 star Whitehead from the powerhouses, this year it's Marquette's turn.

xu82
10-09-2014, 10:33 AM
That's a great get. I don't trust everything I read, but it looks like he could have played anywhere. I'm glad to see him in the BE, and I hope we can pick up some bigs to control him down the road. I admit to mixed emotions about signings like this. I want great overall talent in the BE, and I want to be able to beat them all. That's the tricky part.

casualfan
10-09-2014, 11:52 AM
That's a great get. I don't trust everything I read, but it looks like he could have played anywhere. I'm glad to see him in the BE, and I hope we can pick up some bigs to control him down the road. I admit to mixed emotions about signings like this. I want great overall talent in the BE, and I want to be able to beat them all. That's the tricky part.

No doubt it's a double-edged sword.

You want the talent in the league to be as good as possible, but that's assuming we are getting our fair share of that high end talent.

This past year's class was pretty good, but if BE schools are going to consistently bring in guys like Whitehead and Ellenson we're going to have to ramp it up.

PMI
10-09-2014, 01:22 PM
No doubt it's a double-edged sword.

You want the talent in the league to be as good as possible, but that's assuming we are getting our fair share of that high end talent.

This past year's class was pretty good, but if BE schools are going to consistently bring in guys like Whitehead and Ellenson we're going to have to ramp it up.

I agree but I don't expect them to consistently get those kinds of guys. Landing a 5 star for any Big East program (really most any program) is a very big deal and doesn't happen often. I'd be interested to know if Marquette ever got a higher ranked recruit even when they were in the old Big East. I think the way we are recruiting right now is fantastic and I love our class. It would be awesome to land an occasional top 10-15 kind of kid but we can build Big East champions with the next tier guys if we hit with them. As for the commitment itself, I have no mixed feelings about it. I want the league to have as many great players and teams as possible. This is what we signed up for and have wanted, and I want Xavier competing with nationally ranked teams in conference routinely.

ArizonaXUGrad
10-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I can't speak about Ellenson but Whitehead ended up at SHU because he is trouble and a lot of other schools backed off. I have heard nothing of Ellenson though.

I want XU to compete as well, but not at the expense of getting guys like Whitehead.

xudash
10-09-2014, 01:51 PM
I agree but I don't expect them to consistently get those kinds of guys. Landing a 5 star for any Big East program (really most any program) is a very big deal and doesn't happen often. I'd be interested to know if Marquette ever got a higher ranked recruit even when they were in the old Big East. I think the way we are recruiting right now is fantastic and I love our class. It would be awesome to land an occasional top 10-15 kind of kid but we can build Big East champions with the next tier guys if we hit with them. As for the commitment itself, I have no mixed feelings about it. I want the league to have as many great players and teams as possible. This is what we signed up for and have wanted, and I want Xavier competing with nationally ranked teams in conference routinely.

My sentiments exactly.