PDA

View Full Version : The Last Four Years

BMoreX
03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
As most or some of you may know, I am a senior at X and honestly, it was tough walking out of UD Arena last night, knowing there will be no more Xavier games for me as a student.

I posted this on Twitter as an idea that a friend of mine did last year, but I decided to compile some personal stats and my top ten favorite Xavier games that I attended. So if you're interested in hearing about my favorite games or just want to walk down a bit of a memory lane to have a pick-me-up, here goes nothing.

Overall Personal Record at Xavier Game: 45-4.
Home: 42-3. Away: 3-0. NCAAs: 0-1. Conf Play: 22-2.
As a Freshman: 9-0. Sophomore: 14-1. Junior; 10-1. Senior: 12-2

Top Ten Favorite Games:
10. Dec 9. 2010: 51-49 W over Butler. This was the first big Xavier game for me. It was the first game that the team had against the Bulldogs since the clock game a few months before. And it was awesome.
9. Nov. 12, 2013: 67-63 W over Tennessee. First big game of the senior season and we took down the Vols. The fireworks were an awesome addition and it was one of my first games working at the scorer's table.
8. Mar. 6, 2013: 77-66 OT W over SLU. I'll always remember this game as the dominant senior night. Travis Taylor went for 19 and 19 and Brad Redford had that pivotal block on Jordair Jett driving to the bucket.
7. Jan. 12, 2013: 71-56 W over GW. First game that my parents finally came to (junior year...c'mon guys) and that was the afternoon that Brad nailed seven threes. Also the night that the Ravens Hail-Mary'd their way past the Broncos, but that's a different story.
6. Dec. 7, 2011: 73-61 W at Butler. My first road game as a Muskie and also part of my personal best week at ever which started with the insane comeback of Purdue, the drive to Butler on Wednesday, then camping out mere hours later for the UC game.
5. Jimmy Carter. All three wins. No explanation necessary.
4. Dec. 10, 2011: 76-53 W vs. UC. Not just the absolute dismantling of the Bearcats on the court, but the Crosstown Campout that ensued previously. Honestly my most favorite Xavier experience in all four years. Not only do I hope the game continues, but I hope the campout fully returns.
3. Dec. 14, 2013: 64-47 W vs. UC. I went 2-0 in the "home" games versus the rivals and I couldn't be happier. I actually really enjoyed the "neutral" game with both fans at us dump but obviously want the home and home to return. I'll always remember this game as the game where we were on fire from beyond the arc, specifically JMart, Jimmy Farr, and Myles Davis.
2. Jan. 15, 2014: 80-67 W vs. Georgetown. A little backstory. My friend from grade school goes to Georgetown and is one of their student managers. I have been in his ear for 4 years about how the Big East would collapse and the Catholic schools would bring Xavier into the fold. I was lucky enough for it to happen while we were both still at school. We both desperately wanted this game and for us to come back from down 17 made the win even sweeter.
1. Dec. 3, 2011: 66-63 W over Purdue. I still do not know how we won this game. Down 19 with 10 to go and Tu Holloway takes over and vaults Xavier to the 8th best team in the country. It was the beginning of my greatest week ever at Xavier.

So if you got through all that, I thank you. Like all of you, my world revolves around Xavier basketball. It will continue to be a huge part of my life but, as a student, it has totally encompassed me. Being in the student section for 3 years and at the scorer's table for one, I was able to get two unique vantage points of the team. And I loved every minute of it.

Let's all remember where we are. We have a great 2014 class coming in. We just finished our first season in the Big East. We've been to the NCAAs 12 of 14 years and 8 of the last 9. We are Xavier. We will come back. We will succeed.

Thanks all,
Chris

X-Fan
03-19-2014, 04:32 PM
6. Dec. 7, 2011: 73-61 W at Butler. My first road game as a Muskie and also part of my personal best week at ever which started with the insane comeback of Purdue, the drive to Butler on Wednesday, then camping out mere hours later for the UC game.
4. Dec. 10, 2011: 76-53 W vs. UC. Not just the absolute dismantling of the Bearcats on the court, but the Crosstown Campout that ensued previously. Honestly my most favorite Xavier experience in all four years. Not only do I hope the game continues, but I hope the campout fully returns.
1. Dec. 3, 2011: 66-63 W over Purdue. I still do not know how we won this game. Down 19 with 10 to go and Tu Holloway takes over and vaults Xavier to the 8th best team in the country. It was the beginning of my greatest week ever at Xavier.
Good stuff! Not that we need to rehash this, but man I wish the '11-'12 season could have played out without the Crosstown Fight. That team had massive SWAG, and a killer mentality. They got neutered after that game, and with the Lyons/Dez fallout haven't totally recovered since. That team could have been something special. Another "what could have been" item from Xavier Lore...that will make our first Final Four appearance that much sweeter.

I do have another game from that season. I took my then 6 mo. old son to his first Xavier game when they trounced Georgia. It's not my favorite of all time, but it's right up there. In fact, my profile pic is my wife and son with the Blue Blob pregame. It might be my favorite pic of all time. ;-)

Go X!!!!

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-19-2014, 04:40 PM

#1 in your excellent long-form post, #1 in my heart!

SemajParlor
03-19-2014, 09:55 PM
I was at most of these games and I approve of this list. Purdue was amazing.

Muskie
03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
I hope today's students are able to grasp and appreciate the team they have, and the ease at which it is possible to see Xavier play. It would have been a campus changing experience to have basketball yards away from my dorm.

The past 10 seasons have been truly at a different level than what I witnessed. And I know so many of my LHS family has seen even a different level of basketball most on here can even contemplate.

I'm reminded of Fr. Hoffs vision of Xavier basketball taking off into the sky. We are still on that path, whether we appreciate or not.

paulxu
03-20-2014, 09:23 AM
I hope today's students are able to grasp and appreciate the team they have, and the ease at which it is possible to see Xavier play. It would have been a campus changing experience to have basketball yards away from my dorm.

We are still on that path, whether we appreciate or not.

We all have our own perspective of Xavier basketball. I haven't posted much since our last game, primarily because my perspective is so different.
I am so thankful to have a nationally known team, that every year competes for the NCAA, and hopefully goes deep. So the outlook of being so down on our team is not something I wish to share in. Disappointed? Yes. Unhappy? No. Proud of our guys and for giving this alum so much to be thankful for.

I had the campus changing experience; Schmidt was only yards away from my dorm in Elet.

This is SO much better. You guys are really lucky.

Cheesehead
03-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Excellent perspective w/ all the negative nellies on this board. It's nice for someone to step back from the ledge and appreciate this program. X is fine.