PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Oscars

OH.X.MI
03-02-2014, 11:05 AM
What I would like to see win.
Best Picture: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
Best Supporting Actor: Barakhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Best Director: Steve McQeen (12 years a Slave)
- I love all of McQeen's movies, especially Hunger which is about Bobby Sands the IRA hunger striker, and I think 12 Years a Slave will win Best Picture, but it was just too depressing and graphic for me to really enjoy watching.

THRILLHOUSE
03-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I think 12 Years of Slave wins Best Picture, but Cuaron wins best director and Gravity sweeps all of the technical awards. McConaughey and Leto should be a lock for the acting awards.

I've been slacking this year, only Oscar movies I've seen are Gravity, Her and American Hustle. I'll have to catch up now that most are out on video.

MADXSTER
03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
This may be the first year that I've not seen any of the movies up for Best Movie award

ballyhoohoo
03-02-2014, 01:38 PM
What I would like to see win.
Best Picture: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
Best Supporting Actor: Barakhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Best Director: Steve McQeen (12 years a Slave)
- I love all of McQeen's movies, especially Hunger which is about Bobby Sands the IRA hunger striker, and I think 12 Years a Slave will win Best Picture, but it was just too depressing and graphic for me to really enjoy watching.

I am with you on all but director and actress

xu95
03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
So far I have only seen Captain Phillips. I have some catching up to do.

xubball1993
03-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I "unwinded" from Xavier's big win against the Bluejays last night by watching Captain Phillips. I thought it was very good. I was initially surprised that Tom Hanks was not nominated for best actor.

Milhouse
03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Man feel bad for Leo he's one of the best of his generation and can't seem to get that award.

Pretty good ceremony. Gravity was beyond awesome and deserved all it got. 12 years a slave is your typical oscar movie not surprised it won. Decent film but I'm not a big fan of McQueen...

Overall no surprises at all makes for a very basic oscars. Oh well.

GoMuskies
03-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I "unwinded" from Xavier's big win against the Bluejays last night by watching Captain Phillips. I thought it was very good. I was initially surprised that Tom Hanks was not nominated for best actor.

I wanted to see Captain Phillips, but all the talk from the others on board the ship claiming that the story Phillips told is complete bullshit makes it less likely that I'll bother.

One example of the coverage: http://four-pins.com/life/captain-phillips-brilliant-heart-pounding-pile-bullshit-review/

bobbiemcgee
03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I read where "Wolfe" had more than 500 F bombs dropped, or more than Go Muskies after a Xavier loss.

LadyMuskie
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I've only seen American Hustle, Frozen and Captain Phillips. Loved Frozen and enjoyed American Hustle. I thought Captain Phillips was okay. Not bad. Not great. Somewhere in between.

The highlight of last night had to have been John Travolta going on elocution safari with Idina Menzel's name. He needs to spend a little less time with Lord Xenu and Tom Cruise and a little more time in the real world. Guy is full on nutty.

LadyMuskie
03-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Man feel bad for Leo he's one of the best of his generation and can't seem to get that award.

Pretty good ceremony. Gravity was beyond awesome and deserved all it got. 12 years a slave is your typical oscar movie not surprised it won. Decent film but I'm not a big fan of McQueen...

Overall no surprises at all makes for a very basic oscars. Oh well.

Everyone keeps saying that about Leo, but I don't see it. I've never been a fan, maybe that's why. His role in Titanic was nothing that any number of other young actors couldn't have done. He was good in the Departed, but again nothing anyone else couldn't have done and Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon were better in their roles. I guess to me the question is - is the actor making the role his own in such a way that you can't see anyone else in that role? You look at Tom Hanks and think he is Forrest Gump. You look at Julia Roberts and think "no one could have played Erin Brockovich better". I can't say that about Leo's roles. Even The Aviator and J. Edgar were just okay. Gatsby was awful. The only roles I think he owned was in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (which he was nominated for, but snubbed the Oscars - and they don't forget) and in Django Unchained. Outside of that, I think his acting is good, but he's not this great misunderstood artist, in my opinion. And I think he takes himself way too seriously!

Milhouse
03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Not going to lie...see Wolf of Wall Street and see if you still feel that way. He plays a COMPLETELY different role than he ever has before. And I can legitimately say no one else could play that better. He bought the rights to the book 7 years ago and got scorsese attached and got it made. That was his project through and through. And he's a complete star in it. See that movie and let me know if you still think he takes himself too seriously. After This is the End it is by far the funniest movie of the year.

Wolf of Wallstreet was my favorite movie of the year and it's not even a contest. It's not for everyone though.

I just have to disagree with you on everything regarding him though honestly....I mean you're saying he's as good as Matt Damon/Mark Wahlberg in the departed? That's a complete to the man. He's born and raised in LA California, while those two guys are born and raised in Boston (Where the movie takes place). The fact that he was able to blend in and play the part with two locals is a credit to him.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would even put Titanic in his top 10 movies. Really all you need to do is look at the directors that he's worked with over the years to see what a great actor he is: Chris Nolan, Marty Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, Quentin Tarantino, Steven Spielberg, Danny Boyle, James Cameron, Ridley Scott...I mean is there another actor working today that has been cast by all those guys?

One of the best in the biz in my mind.

muskiefan82
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Anyone else think this crazy ice/snow/sleet/frozen vortex weather we've had GUARANTEED Frozen would win a few Oscars?

Talk about great timing for an animated movie release.

Muskied
03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I wanted to see Captain Phillips, but all the talk from the others on board the ship claiming that the story Phillips told is complete bullshit makes it less likely that I'll bother.

One example of the coverage: http://four-pins.com/life/captain-phillips-brilliant-heart-pounding-pile-bullshit-review/

Actually the only reason why I wanted to see it and liked it was because of the rescue mission, which wasn't bullshit. It was Seal Team 6 who caught Bin Laden, and how they got the pirates was f-ing hard core. After gaining controll of a nearly botched rescue, they somehow convinced the pirates to strap up with them, secretly towed them closer to ship, and took simultaneous shots at 30 yards into a closed lifeboat at night to kill the enemy with 3 headshots. Sorry if I just spoiled it for you, but it's well documented. To me, they were the hero's of that story.

nuts4xu
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
The special effects in Gravity were great, but the story was dreadful. I can sum up the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

A man and a woman float around in space for 90 minutes, one of them makes it back to earth...the other one doesn't.

I will never get those 90 minutes of my life back. I guess it is better than spending 3 hours watching some idiot talk to a volleyball.

GoMuskies
03-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Actually the only reason why I wanted to see it and liked it was because of the rescue mission, which wasn't bullshit.

Cool, when it comes out on Netflix I'll skip the bullshit backstory part and fast-forward right to Navy Seals killing bad guys.

THRILLHOUSE
03-03-2014, 04:16 PM
The special effects in Gravity were great, but the story was dreadful. I can sum up the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

A man and a woman float around in space for 90 minutes, one of them makes it back to earth...the other one doesn't.

I will never get those 90 minutes of my life back. I guess it is better than spending 3 hours watching some idiot talk to a volleyball.

The script was mediocre but the visuals were great, which is why it lost best picture but cleaned house in the technical awards. So I'm happy I saw it at the theater, I'd imagine it would be pretty underwhelming at home.

ballyhoohoo
03-03-2014, 04:51 PM
The mark of a good film or screenplay is to draw you in and makes you care about something you normally wouldn't. For me that is what makes 12 years a slave and Dallas Buyers Club remarkable films.

xu82
03-03-2014, 05:09 PM
I read where "Wolfe" had more than 500 F bombs dropped, or more than Go Muskies after a Xavier loss.

Was it only 500+? It sure felt like a lot more. Certainly a movie about excess. Excess everything. Money. Drugs. Sex. Language. And about one hour more of it than there needed to be. Yeah, I get it already.... can we wrap this up? (There's my one and only movie review.)

OH.X.MI
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Was it only 500+? It sure felt like a lot more. Certainly a movie about excess. Excess everything. Money. Drugs. Sex. Language. And about one hour more of it than there needed to be. Yeah, I get it already.... can we wrap this up? (There's my one and only movie review.)

It was an excessively long movie about excess!

blobfan
03-04-2014, 11:53 AM
The mark of a good film or screenplay is to draw you in and makes you care about something you normally wouldn't. For me that is what makes 12 years a slave and Dallas Buyers Club remarkable films.

I think 'Her' falls in that category. Mom wanted to see it and I was curious how they'd pull it off without making it one long joke. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was more interesting and nuanced than I thought it would be. Definitely should be watched in a dark room without distractions though. I hear the same about 'Gravity'. Although 'Gravity' is probably a better one to watch with a parent. Who'd have thought a move about a relationship between a human and an Operating System would contain a graphic sex scene? Didn't look in Mom's direction for a while after that one.