PDA

View Full Version : RIP Harold Ramis

xsteve1
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Truly a comedic genius. My favorite was Stripes with he and Bill Murray.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/one-big-talent--and-one-big-twinkie---harold-ramis-s-greatest-screen-moments-010903773.html

XU 87
02-24-2014, 09:26 PM
One of the great ones- Stripes, Ghostbusters, Caddyshack and Animal House, to name a few.

Strange Brew
02-24-2014, 09:41 PM
I catch any of you touching his corpse.......and I'll kill ya'. He was a true comedic genius that will be missed.

xu82
02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
He was a bit under the radar if you weren't paying attention, but a giant if you were paying attention. RIP

Tu 4 MVP
02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
I love Stripes, definitely underrated.

I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it." I don't know what kind of soldier I'm gonna make, but I want you guys to know that if we ever get into really heavy combat... I'll be right behind you guys. Every step of the way.

wkrq59
02-25-2014, 12:05 AM
I love Stripes, definitely underrated. I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it." I don't know what kind of soldier I'm gonna make, but I want you guys to know that if we ever get into really heavy combat... I'll be right behind you guys. Every step of the way.

Agree, he was one funny guy. And damned talented.

X-band '01
02-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Egon did warn us not to cross the streams.

Ramis never seemed to get as much credit as he should for his writing and directing - he even had a few episodes of The Office which he directed.

Kahns Krazy
02-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Stripes was the greatest movie when I was a kid. For whatever reason (maybe my parents never saw the shower scene), we were allowed to watch that movie, and I watched it over and over and over. I'm going to dig it up and watch it this weekend when I have time.

Ghostbusters was another classic, mostly because of my age and the family vacation we were on when I saw it was very memorable. We spent a week running around yelling "he slimed me!"

Also, Egon might be the single best named movie role ever.

Mel Cooley XU'81
02-25-2014, 08:46 AM
He, more so than Murray, became an adopted son of Woodstock, IL where the exteriors of Groundhog Day were filmed.

The one time I brushed against his greatness (http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/24/72238a85-a99f-490b-9b9f-adeb2ca07261_800.jpg) he was an amiable guy and indulgent of his fans. Classy.

Groundhog Day is terrific. Stripes is Perfect for Me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD4xwK13lGk

American X
02-25-2014, 09:12 AM
When future civilizations examine our contemporary culture, they will consider the singular greatest artistic and cultural achievement to be Groundhog Day. It is quite simply the masterpiece of our times which will not be fully appreciated for generations.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPMuI1QC7qsVdV3CkhShoPHf_9uY9Z-LuKQdHeJ-AuTQQQe8BTNg

Xman95
02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Found out yesterday that my position (that I just took last July) is being eliminated due to a merger that recently happened. However, it was the news that Harold Ramis passed away that actually upset me. Maybe that speaks to my owned whacked out perspective on things, but I think it says more about what kind of mark Ramis was able to make. People in their 60's and 70's enjoyed his work. My generation - I'm going to be 41 this year - grew up with Ramis and his movies. My late-20's nephew claims Ghostbusters as his favorite movie. My son, 9-years-old, is even a fan of some of the stuff Ramis created. How many people can have that lasting, POSITIVE effect on others? Harold Ramis will truly be missed, but he and his work will live on for a long, long time.

LadyMuskie
02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
When future civilizations examine our contemporary culture, they will consider the singular greatest artistic and cultural achievement to be Groundhog Day. It is quite simply the masterpiece of our times which will not be fully appreciated for generations.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPMuI1QC7qsVdV3CkhShoPHf_9uY9Z-LuKQdHeJ-AuTQQQe8BTNg

Groundhog Day is a work of genius! I remember seeing it in the theaters with my friends twice - which was a big deal back then. Even as a teen, I loved this movie!

He also wrote Analyze This which was fantastic. It was a brilliant fit for DeNiro. I also have a soft spot for Multiplicity. It's not a great movie, but one of those guilty pleasures. When you see his writing, directing and acting roles you realize how amazing he was!

Getting older can really stink sometimes. You start to realize that it's not just close friends and family you lose, but those iconic faces and names that have entertained you for years.

Milhouse
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
He truly was a giant in the industry, had his hands on so many projects over the years. Very few had the chops to influence in so many different ways.

I'd say say one of his more memorable roles was even just as Seth Rogen's father in Knocked up. Could be viewed as a bit of a ceremonial passing of the torch off to Apatow and Co.

He will be greatly missed.

nuts4xu
02-25-2014, 12:10 PM
I'd say say one of his more memorable roles was even just as Seth Rogen's father in Knocked up. Could be viewed as a bit of a ceremonial passing of the torch off to Apatow and Co.

True. Judd Apatow was a big fan of Ramis, and I read somewhere that his role in Knocked Up was a tribute to his idol. If you look at the list of movies Ramis directed, produced, or acted in, it is a list of some of the best movies of all time. Some are classics that will be viewed by generations for a long, long, long time.

bobbiemcgee
02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Hoped he achieved it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48G7Y0VWW4

bourbonman
02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Getting older can really stink sometimes. You start to realize that it's not just close friends and family you lose, but those iconic faces and names that have entertained you for years.

YES! I still miss John Wayne. Loved that guy!

PM Thor
02-25-2014, 03:08 PM
I know most people speak to his iconic movies, like Caddyshack and the whatnot, but he was involved in so many it truly is an astounding body of work. My favorite "under the radar" movie was directed by him, Bedazzled. Hilarious, and throw in a Elizabeth Hurley in skimpy outfits, it's a winner. (and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Brendan Fraziers multiple characters are great)

Mel Cooley XU'81
02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Summer reading.

That's Not Funny, That's Sick: The National Lampoon and the Comedy Insurgents Who Captured the Mainstream (http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Not-Funny-Sick-Insurgents/dp/0393074099/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393366496&sr=1-3&keywords=national+lampoon)

bjf123
02-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Groundhog Day is a work of genius! I remember seeing it in the theaters with my friends twice - which was a big deal back then. Even as a teen, I loved this movie!

Don't drive angry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muskie
02-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Mel Cooley XU'81
02-26-2014, 11:36 AM
By the way, if you're ever in or nearby Woodstock, IL, I'm always happy to guide a tour of Groundhog Day sites.

The Woodstock Square is great for a visit and the sites that aren't intact have interesting stories behind them.

We can walk the sites (kids welcome, of course) for an hour or so and repair to one (or more) of several fine bars for an hour or so . . . or so.

PM me.