PDA

View Full Version : Ray Rice

NY44
02-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Ray Rice is a hometown hero for me. We both grew up in New Rochelle, NY and he really has a great reputation around the area. That being said, the allegations against him are pretty serious and the video evidence has so far been pretty damning. For unfathomable reasons, some have come to defend Rice's reputation and are hoping he "has enough goodwill in the bank" to survive this hit to his PR. This ridiculous quote/thought can be found in this article, http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014302170067&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Everyone else has seen enough, right? On his podcast, Jalen Rose made the point that if he was caring for her he probably would've carried her out of the elevator, instead of dragging her like a piece of luggage.

Juice
02-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Ray Rice is a hometown hero for me. We both grew up in New Rochelle, NY and he really has a great reputation around the area. That being said, the allegations against him are pretty serious and the video evidence has so far been pretty damning. For unfathomable reasons, some have come to defend Rice's reputation and are hoping he "has enough goodwill in the bank" to survive this hit to his PR. This ridiculous quote/thought can be found in this article, http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014302170067&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Everyone else has seen enough, right? On his podcast, Jalen Rose made the point that if he was caring for her he probably would've carried her out of the elevator, instead of dragging her like a piece of luggage.

It's being reported that the police have video of the actual assault. If and when that is released then I would hope that the Ray Rice defenders would go away.

drudy23
02-21-2014, 11:52 AM
He knocked a tiny woman out...think about that. There's no situation where that would be OK.

Masterofreality
02-21-2014, 12:05 PM
No way does a dude have a right to lay hands in anger on a Lady, no matter what the argument.

Shut up, walk away, count to 10... Or 20.

NY44
02-21-2014, 01:14 PM
One detail I can't understand is that they were both arrested. Is this common in domestic abuse incidents?

Nigel Tufnel
02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
One detail I can't understand is that they were both arrested. Is this common in domestic abuse incidents?

Maybe she punched first but he punched last? And yes, it's very common in dv cases for both parties to be arrested.

Smails
02-21-2014, 04:00 PM
No way does a dude have a right to lay hands in anger on a Lady, no matter what the argument.

Shut up, walk away, count to 10... Or 20.

As Chris Rock would say...there's a reason to hit everyone, you just don't do it.

I think Rice is in deep deep trouble here.

Devils advocate: What if the video shows her attacking him in the elevator..kicking, flailing, punching, biting and he hit her in response to that? You really can't "walk away" in an elevator. I assume that's where the assault took place.

BMoreX
02-21-2014, 04:15 PM
If all this is true (and it certainly appears that way given the video that has appeared), then I hope the Ravens release him.

Masterofreality
02-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Devils advocate: What if the video shows her attacking him in the elevator..kicking, flailing, punching, biting and he hit her in response to that? You really can't "walk away" in an elevator. I assume that's where the assault took place.

Well, that would seem to be a clear case of self defense. Caveat to above pontification.

Nigel Tufnel
02-21-2014, 06:04 PM

I have no idea where the assault took place....but the advice I give my clients....if your wife decides to start beating on you? Cover your vitals and take it. Nuts, eyes, mouth, throat...keep them covered. If you don't swing back, you are in a much better position to defend any type of domestic violence charge. One swing...and your defense goes down the tubes. If the woman had a knife or gun, well, that's a different story...but if she is just screaming and wailing aimlessly away on you? Take it. Why? Because how reasonable is it for you to contend that you felt your life and/or physical well being was in harm's way by your spouse flailing her arms at you? Again...if she's a black belt in karate...different story. Basically...if you can cover yourself and not have your life threatened...cover up and don't go on the offensive....period.

vee4xu
02-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Another cowardly punk athlete who feels the need to express his strength prowess after being challenged by a woman. Not ever a reason for a man to hit a woman, period, end of story. Anyone man who is does is not a man, but a coward.

paulxu
02-21-2014, 07:58 PM
So you're saying there is no "stand your ground" in an elevator?

Someone call Florida.

LadyMuskie
02-21-2014, 09:07 PM

He's an NFL athlete. His body is a mass of muscle and he is trained to absorb and deliver brute force. Short of her being possessed of some heretofore unknown alien strength or her actually being a man of equal NFL athletic strength, there is NO reason for him to have touched her, much less knocked her unconscious and then cruelly dragged her along the way he did. I don't care if she lunged at him in a drunken rage or kicked him, bit him or punched him. I can guarantee that his body could take it far better than her's could.

He should be removed from the league immediately and permanently. A strong message should be sent from Goodell that the NFL cannot and will not tolerate criminals within its ranks. Enough is enough. What Rice did is sickening and there is not nor will there ever be an excuse for it.

blobfan
02-21-2014, 09:48 PM
What LadyM said. It's one thing to scuffle but most men are capable of restraining a woman without hitting and knocking her unconscious. There was no weapon; no 3rd party in need of protection. I just don't see how this could be justified and she's a fool if she doesn't leave him.

NY44
02-21-2014, 10:41 PM
He's an NFL athlete. His body is a mass of muscle and he is trained to absorb and deliver brute force. Short of her being possessed of some heretofore unknown alien strength or her actually being a man of equal NFL athletic strength, there is NO reason for him to have touched her, much less knocked her unconscious and then cruelly dragged her along the way he did. I don't care if she lunged at him in a drunken rage or kicked him, bit him or punched him. I can guarantee that his body could take it far better than her's could.

He should be removed from the league immediately and permanently. A strong message should be sent from Goodell that the NFL cannot and will not tolerate criminals within its ranks. Enough is enough. What Rice did is sickening and there is not nor will there ever be an excuse for it.

While I ethically agree that removing him from the league is the right thing to do, many NFL players have stayed in the league after committing equal or worse offenses than this. What may get him out of the league is if teams decide they don't want the images of this incident with their team names. This is a poor example, but the only one I can think of: The Patriots cut Aaron Hernandez immediately. As a result the news stories went from Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez to Former NFL Player Aaron Hernandez. Thus, saving quite a bit of face for the Patriots organization.

I would like to believe that the NFL disciplines these players because they care, but it's safe to say it's all about PR.

LadyMuskie
02-22-2014, 10:30 AM
My position is the same for all the criminally intent NFL players - Ray Rice just happens to be the most recent.

wkrq59
02-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Lady Muskie, you're spot on, dead right and any other words of agreement you all choose to add. The NFL believes it is so damned powerful that it is right in all cases until proved wrong. Be they Dolphins or Dipsh!ts, most NFL teams have a free pass. Not saying they should when they shouldn't but they do. Dolphins coach comes out earlier this past week and says he's going to control everything, be the big dog in the lockerroom and on and on and on. Why the hell was he not the big dog, all authoritarian when the bullying and racism was rampant and resulted in the firing of a position coach and another underling? Philbin should have been fired with the rest of them. Rice should be gone once the case is adjudicated unless he gets off.

Snipe
02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
At least he didn't kill her. Ravens have had that before.

Stay Classy Ravens!

I still bristle at how much everyone loves the killer Ray Lewis. He is a god to the Television and the fans, but two guys ended up dead.

He had money, power and fame, they are just two dead nobodies.

Seems like this little tramp got off easy. She should no better mouthing off like that anyway.

If Ray Rice was still in his prime I would expect he could weather this with team support. Since the man is on his last legs, they will likely love to jettison him and his hefty salary.

Let this be a lesson to all mouthy women!