PDA

View Full Version : Whit Babcock Out at UC

xudash
01-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Leaving for V Tech.

UC is in a delicate place right now. It will be interesting to see who they bring in as their AD.

xubrew
01-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Yeah, lets see if they can manage to not screw this up. I think there are a lot of good A.D's out there who would want it.

RealDeal
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
I'd like to get bearcatparanoia's view on this, but I see that he was banned. That's a shame.

joe titan
01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
AD might be a bit of a misnomer for whom UC is is need; to some extent in NCAA schools the need is universal but for UC it is the primary requisite the next AD be most adroit at fund raising and alumni relations. Not that he would be interested but Bobo would be a prototype. A program builder in the mold of Bob Goins will not fit the bill.

Be mindful the school just completed the largest campaign in history quite successfully which pretty much tapped out the resources. Although President Ono publicly endorsed the interim AD, her background is more in compliance, operations and a taste of public relations.

bleedXblue
01-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Is UC a stepping stone school ?

It would appear so.

DC Muskie
01-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Va Tech? Ouch.

xu82
01-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Va Tech? Ouch.

My thought exactly! Not exactly Ohio State.

Burrcats
01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
My thought exactly! Not exactly Ohio State.

He is from Virginia, about an hour away from Blacksburgh, and his mother and siblings all live within an hour and a half of the school. Folks around Cincinnati, believed either Virginia Tech or Virginia were going to be tough for him to turn down. Mick said he turned down 5 jobs in the last 20 months but that you can't hate a man who wants to go home.

Cincinnati needs to get an AD with some ties to P5 conference to help plant some seeds for the next decade to get UC into one of those nice leagues. These sorts of things don't happen overnight, it is about building relationships.

DC Muskie
01-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Well how can you compete when a man aspires to work at Va Tech?

GoMuskies
01-27-2014, 08:27 PM
If you can't move to Wichita, Blacksburg, VA is really the next best thing.

Burrcats
01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Well how can you compete when a man aspires to work at Va Tech?

Hmm? ACC school that has 60k+ for football games and has made a bowl game consecutively since the 90's, makes 20million+ a year from the TV deal in a place an hour away from home vs a school in the AAC where you have to pull teeth to get 35k and a TV deal of 2million a year.

Burrcats
01-27-2014, 08:34 PM
If you can't move to Wichita, Blacksburg, VA is really the next best thing.

It really is beautiful, I considered going there for undergrad and the campus was nice. They've got all the outdoors activities you'd want all within an hour. If you like college towns it's one of the best.

xu82
01-27-2014, 08:35 PM
To be completely fair, people do things for their own reasons. Anyone in sales (or with a bit of common sense) knows that. I would move back to Florida in a heartbeat for my own personal reasons (though it wouldn't be financially optimal - so Mrs XU82 disagrees). If he's going to Va Tech for his reasons, God bless him. If he's going because he feels it's a big step up in his career, well.... God bless UC.

xavierj
01-27-2014, 10:11 PM
He is from Virginia, about an hour away from Blacksburgh, and his mother and siblings all live within an hour and a half of the school. Folks around Cincinnati, believed either Virginia Tech or Virginia were going to be tough for him to turn down. Mick said he turned down 5 jobs in the last 20 months but that you can't hate a man who wants to go home.

Cincinnati needs to get an AD with some ties to P5 conference to help plant some seeds for the next decade to get UC into one of those nice leagues. These sorts of things don't happen overnight, it is about building relationships.

Well if Mick says so. I love how he likes to tell people how many jobs people turn down including himself. I like the city of Cincinnati but Clifton isn't exactly attractive right now. Mid level conference, crappy basketball arena and you need to walk around campus with a bullet proof vest.

GIMMFD
01-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Blacksburg is actually very nice, if you haven't visited I wouldn't knock it. Virginia Tech is a pretty good football school, with a semi-decent basketball team (much better a few years ago) I think it's a relatively attractive offer, especially if it means going back home. Absolutely beautiful campus. I'm with Burrcats on this one guys, it makes sense.

DC Muskie
01-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Hmm? ACC school that has 60k+ for football games and has made a bowl game consecutively since the 90's, makes 20million+ a year from the TV deal in a place an hour away from home vs a school in the AAC where you have to pull teeth to get 35k and a TV deal of 2million a year.

Thanks for making my case for me. That's gotta suck for you.

It really is beautiful, I considered going there for undergrad and the campus was nice. They've got all the outdoors activities you'd want all within an hour. If you like college towns it's one of the best.

All of the outdoor activities you want within an hour???!! Wow! It must be some oasis because I can't think of any other place on earth where within an hour you could do any outdoor activity.

Just think you too could have aspired to be a castrated turkey. Instead you decide to be a pussy.

Blacksburg is actually very nice, if you haven't visited I wouldn't knock it. Virginia Tech is a pretty good football school, with a semi-decent basketball team (much better a few years ago) I think it's a relatively attractive offer, especially if it means going back home. Absolutely beautiful campus. I'm with Burrcats on this one guys, it makes sense.

Umm...I've been to Blacksburg. Nothing special. Unless you love lots of space. If you love space, then Blacksburg is incredible.

As for the idea they are a "pretty good" at anything athletically is pretty funny. Va Tech is the definition of mediorcity. Everyone thinks Hokie football is good. They never win when it matters, is slightly worse than Clempson, and only enjoyed the spotlight when Michael Vick was there back in 1999. That's when they peaked. Since 1999 they are 6-8 in bowl games. When they won the ACC they have gone 1-3 in bowl games. Their one win? Against UC!

And basketball? They've played in 8 NCAA tournaments. Ever. Their last appearance was in 2007. They lost to Southern Illinois, so that just shows you how long ago that was, because SIU has been terrible for years.

But seriously, Blacksburg is an acquired taste. Just don't confuse it with a huge step up in prestige.

Milhouse
01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
I'm sure he left because of conference affiliation. He's a smart man that saw the writing on the wall...UC won't get into the ACC any time soon with the Grant of Rights. The carousel has stopped spinning.

I'm sure VA Tech is not his last move.....

I don't know if any schools been screwed more by Conference Realignment than UC in the last 12 months.

Lamont Sanford
01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm sure he left because of conference affiliation. He's a smart man that saw the writing on the wall...UC won't get into the ACC any time soon with the Grant of Rights. The carousel has stopped spinning.

I'm sure VA Tech is not his last move.....

I don't know if any schools been screwed more by Conference Realignment than UC in the last 12 months.

I think UConn is in the same boat as UC. They too thought they were locks for the ACC and they are still stuck in the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAC. With the exception of UConn's abyssmal graduation rate, they are MUCH more attractive than UC for the next round of conference expansion.

xubrew
01-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I think there are good athletic directors out there who would want that job. Lets just see if UC can identify them and hire them. Some presidents are better at that than others.

casualfan
01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
With the exception of UConn's abyssmal graduation rate, they are MUCH more attractive than UC for the next round of conference expansion.

You clearly haven't followed realignment much.

There may be some candidates out there more attractive than UC, but I can assure you one of them is not UCONN.

Conference realignment is driven by two things. Well, mainly one thing (TV markets) with a small side of another (football success).

UCONN brings neither to the table.

outsideobserver11
01-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Agreed. The only hope UCONN has is the Big 10 because they will never get enough votes to get in the ACC because too many schools hate them. UC probably is the next school in line but that really doesn't mean anything. UC message board fans (the know-it-alls) get all giddy with this information and start making up fictitious dates and rumors of when the invite is coming but completely ignore the part where the ACC, Big 12, or any conference doesn't want to expand and has no real reason to do so at the moment. Instead of accepting the AAC for what it is and enjoying our decent football program and good basketball program while we have them, we all just b!tch about what we don't have. basketball will be fine in this conference, but the longer UC is in the AAC the football program is going to slide back into mediocrity.

Burrcats
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I think UConn is in the same boat as UC. They too thought they were locks for the ACC and they are still stuck in the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAC. With the exception of UConn's abyssmal graduation rate, they are MUCH more attractive than UC for the next round of conference expansion.

UConn is definitely the biggest loser in realignment. At least Cincinnati has SOME history with the C-USA additions. Outside of Cincinnati, who they've only been with around a decade, UConn has ZERO history with these C-USA tag alongs. They've seen their primary rival Syracuse go to the ACC, a school that is in their region but weaker (Rutgers) go to the Big 10 and their old pals (Prov, G'town, Nova,etc) stay together in the Big East. I definitely feel for them and I hope some day both UC and UConn get out of this mess.

sirthought
01-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Now that Jim Calhoun is no longer the coach, UCONN is almost back to square one. Almost. Kevin Ollie might be a good coach in long run, but the draw to land big-time players there has taken a hit. He could really accelerate things in the AAC in a good way. It's just that with the coach change and a lesser conference it'll be harder to compete at the same level they had for several years. I don't see that as being attractive to bigger conferences whenever they might decide to expand.

They've only had D1 football (and a much delayed stadium) for a decade. They surprisingly have a number of NFL players, but again, I'm not sure how much of a draw they are in recruiting. It's a shame that their football program might not get bigger, seeing that people fought for so long to get a D1 stadium.

I don't know if UC will get any more serious looks from the ACC, but if one comes I'd say they have a bigger shot over UCONN.

Many of you will disagree, but I see the AAC becoming a stronger conference in the future. Probably sooner than later.

sirthought
01-28-2014, 04:28 PM
As far as Babcock's replacement: They'll have plenty of good candidates. Are you kidding?

Even with the difficulties of UC (and there are many) who wouldn't want that job if you were a sports admin professional at any of the conferences out of the top five?

Plus, you know that all of your sports have fairly stable coaches who aren't going to be a major concern when you start. Babcock had some big hires these past couple years.

Burrcats
01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Now that Jim Calhoun is no longer the coach, UCONN is almost back to square one. Almost. Kevin Ollie might be a good coach in long run, but the draw to land big-time players there has taken a hit. He could really accelerate things in the AAC in a good way. It's just that with the coach change and a lesser conference it'll be harder to compete at the same level they had for several years. I don't see that as being attractive to bigger conferences whenever they might decide to expand.

They've only had D1 football (and a much delayed stadium) for a decade. They surprisingly have a number of NFL players, but again, I'm not sure how much of a draw they are in recruiting. It's a shame that their football program might not get bigger, seeing that people fought for so long to get a D1 stadium.

I don't know if UC will get any more serious looks from the ACC, but if one comes I'd say they have a bigger shot over UCONN.

Many of you will disagree, but I see the AAC becoming a stronger conference in the future. Probably sooner than later.

I would never say "never" but the odds of Connecticut getting into the ACC are very low. They created a ton of bad blood when they sued the ACC back in 2003 over the raid that landed Miami and Boston College in the league. Syracuse, Boston College, Florida State, Clemson and Miami are all automatic "NO" votes for the Huskies...

sirthought
01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
I would never say "never" but the odds of Connecticut getting into the ACC are very low. They created a ton of bad blood when they sued the ACC back in 2003 over the raid that landed Miami and Boston College in the league. Syracuse, Boston College, Florida State, Clemson and Miami are all automatic "NO" votes for the Huskies...

That was long enough ago that I don't really see how you could know that's true for the future.
Many of the top admins are different people from that time.
I'm sure when they do decide to change they'll look at who works from a strategic standpoint.

Burrcats
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
That was long enough ago that I don't really see how you could know that's true for the future.
Many of the top admins are different people from that time.
I'm sure when they do decide to change they'll look at who works from a strategic standpoint.

Trust me, they only got support from Duke, UNC and UVA last time (while UofL got full endorsement)...the southern schools don't want them because of the weak football and the Northeastern schools hate them.

X-band '01
01-28-2014, 08:23 PM

BC would vote no twice if they could.

vee4xu
01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
From a purely selfish perspective I'll be interested to see what a new AD at UC and our new AD at x decide about the Shootout's future.

X-man
01-29-2014, 02:01 PM
From a purely selfish perspective I'll be interested to see what a new AD at UC and our new AD at x decide about the Shootout's future.

I fully expect that the Shootout will be suspended. The silence since the Shootout is deafening, and little Mick the pr**k will take his glove and go home if he doesn't get his way because his way gives uc a "home game" every year.

GIMMFD
01-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Thanks for making my case for me. That's gotta suck for you.

All of the outdoor activities you want within an hour???!! Wow! It must be some oasis because I can't think of any other place on earth where within an hour you could do any outdoor activity.

Just think you too could have aspired to be a castrated turkey. Instead you decide to be a pussy.

Umm...I've been to Blacksburg. Nothing special. Unless you love lots of space. If you love space, then Blacksburg is incredible.

As for the idea they are a "pretty good" at anything athletically is pretty funny. Va Tech is the definition of mediorcity. Everyone thinks Hokie football is good. They never win when it matters, is slightly worse than Clempson, and only enjoyed the spotlight when Michael Vick was there back in 1999. That's when they peaked. Since 1999 they are 6-8 in bowl games. When they won the ACC they have gone 1-3 in bowl games. Their one win? Against UC!

And basketball? They've played in 8 NCAA tournaments. Ever. Their last appearance was in 2007. They lost to Southern Illinois, so that just shows you how long ago that was, because SIU has been terrible for years.

But seriously, Blacksburg is an acquired taste. Just don't confuse it with a huge step up in prestige.

Nah, I don't believe it's a step up in prestige to be honest. I do think I would rather have Va Tech's football program than UC's, especially playing in the ACC, which is a real conference. I just think the move makes sense family wise, and Virginia Tech isn't a bad school to run. They have the facilities, and I think Va Tech football can be decent, they have a relatively good name to them, and recruits do commit there. I honestly don't think Beamer is the right guy to lead the football program, I think he's a very overrated coach and that they could hire someone that could actually win there.

Juice
01-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Nah, I don't believe it's a step up in prestige to be honest. I do think I would rather have Va Tech's football program than UC's, especially playing in the ACC, which is a real conference. I just think the move makes sense family wise, and Virginia Tech isn't a bad school to run. They have the facilities, and I think Va Tech football can be decent, they have a relatively good name to them, and recruits do commit there. I honestly don't think Beamer is the right guy to lead the football program, I think he's a very overrated coach and that they could hire someone that could actually win there.

Beamer is just like Mack Brown. They both had success at one point but they're no longer relevant.

danaandvictory
01-30-2014, 08:07 AM
I fully expect that the Shootout will be suspended. The silence since the Shootout is deafening, and little Mick the pr**k will take his glove and go home if he doesn't get his way because his way gives uc a "home game" every year.

I think the only way it happens is if Ono overrules the YTG. X has made their position clear.

xudash
01-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I seriously doubt that YTG has the final say when it comes to determining the fate of a long running rivalry game.

He's a coach. And he isn't Bobby Knight or Coach K or pick one at the highest point of their popularity and power. Of course, guys like that aren't afraid, so an issue like this probably would have never materialized with them.

He's a coach, and he isn't a terribly popular coach at that. I can't see ANYONE turning to Mick Cronin to see how he feels about all this.

X-man
01-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I seriously doubt that YTG has the final say when it comes to determining the fate of a long running rivalry game.

He's a coach. And he isn't Bobby Knight or Coach K or pick one at the highest point of their popularity and power. Of course, guys like that aren't afraid, so an issue like this probably would have never materialized with them.

He's a coach, and he isn't a terribly popular coach at that. I can't see ANYONE turning to Mick Cronin to see how he feels about all this.

My understand is that the YTG and the former uc prez were on the same page regarding where the Shootout should be played. Hopefully Ono is a bit more rational about this.

xubrew
02-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Rumors are that it's Mike Bohn from Colorado.

Their football has been noticeably lacking, but he did hire a good basketball coach, and he was there during the transition from the Big Twelve to the Pac Twelve.

Interesting choice. For both UC and Bohn.

casualfan
02-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Rumors are that it's Mike Bohn from Colorado.

Their football has been noticeably lacking, but he did hire a good basketball coach, and he was there during the transition from the Big Twelve to the Pac Twelve.

Interesting choice. For both UC and Bohn.

From what I've read he is an unbelievable fundraiser and a guy who got a lot of facility upgrades done at Colorado.

Between those two things and his experience with realignment this looks like a good hire to me.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Did Bohn hire Bzdelik at Colorado, or was that before his time? That should be a black mark on any AD's resume.

Also, I read Bohn resigned at Colorado last spring. So UC is actually hiring an out of work AD?

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/05/28/athletics-director-mike-bohn-forced-out-from-cu-athletics-department/

Masterofreality
02-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Did Bohn hire Bzdelik at Colorado, or was that before his time? That should be a black mark on any AD's resume.

Also, I read Bohn resigned at Colorado last spring. So UC is actually hiring an out of work AD?

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/05/28/athletics-director-mike-bohn-forced-out-from-cu-athletics-department/

This is true. Plus Bohn did hire Bzdelik as well as the football coach who they had to fire after going 1-11.

Looks like the Borecats are getting a Bohn-er. (I know, too easy).

xubrew
02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
He hired Bzdelik after he got Air Force to the NCAA Tournament, and Dan Hawkins who had landed Boise State in the top ten. Both sucked at Colorado, but to be fair they weren't considered bad hires at the time.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Hired Bzdelik and Hawkins. Quite a legacy he left at CU!

xubrew
02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Hired Bzdelik and Hawkins. Quite a legacy he left at CU!

IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

....sort of.

The real problem is that he signed them to contracts that made it damn near impossible to get rid of them. They decided to retain Dan Hawkins because they couldn't afford to buy out his contract. What a ringing endorsement.

Masterofreality
02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
He hired Bzdelik after he got Air Force to the NCAA Tournament, and Dan Hawkins who had landed Boise State in the top ten. Both sucked at Colorado, but to be fair they weren't considered bad hires at the time.

Well, he was "forced out" from Colorado, by numerous accounts.

xubrew
02-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Well, he was "forced out" from Colorado, by numerous accounts.

He was forced out by all accounts, including his own and the university's. I don't think it was because they felt he was doing a crappy job.

I don't think he's the best person they could have gotten, but I don't think it's a bad hire either. It's not a home run, but it's at least a base hit.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
He was forced out by all accounts, including his own and the university's. I don't think it was because they felt he was doing a crappy job.

Not sure I get this. Why else do you force someone out?

casualfan
02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

In his 8 years there he had something like 3 different presidents and the BOT was apparently a revolving door as well.

I remember there being multiple articles quoting boosters in support of him in the wake of him being asked to resign which is highly unusual.

In looking some of them up earlier there was even one high profile booster who many had tabbed to replace him as AD who took his name out of consideration because he thought Bohn should still be there.

I know it's viewed as poor form around here to not blindly bash any and everything UC, but I really like this hire for them.

xubrew
02-06-2014, 03:11 PM

At a program like that, it's generally because of a few unhappy big time donors who want things that in a perfect world the A.D. shouldn't have to waste his time with because the donors shouldn't be entitled to them in the first place. When the donors don't get what they want, they complain and make threats about becoming former donors.

I don't know the specifics, but generally when someone is forced out like that, it's because of an external big shot, not because of what his direct superiors actually felt about him.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
In his 8 years there he had something like 3 different presidents and the BOT was apparently a revolving door as well.

I remember there being multiple articles quoting boosters in support of him in the wake of him being asked to resign which is highly unusual.

In looking some of them up earlier there was even one high profile booster who many had tabbed to replace him as AD who took his name out of consideration because he thought Bohn should still be there.

I know it's viewed as poor form around here to not blindly bash any and everything UC, but I really like this hire for them.

The guy:

1) hired Dan Hawkins
2) hired Bzdelik
3) hired Dan Hawkins' replacement who was somehow WORSE than Dan Hawkins
4) got fired

I'm not sure that's exactly blindly bashing UC. If I were a UC fan, someone would need to explain those four things away to get me comfortable. I say good luck to UC on this one.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 03:13 PM
At a program like that, it's generally because of a few unhappy big time donors.

Well, those unhappy donors who call the shots apparently thought he was doing a crappy job then.

Burrcats
02-06-2014, 03:21 PM
The guy:

1) hired Dan Hawkins
2) hired Bzdelik
3) hired Dan Hawkins' replacement who was somehow WORSE than Dan Hawkins
4) got fired

I'm not sure that's exactly blindly bashing UC. If I were a UC fan, someone would need to explain those four things away to get me comfortable. I say good luck to UC on this one.

1. Dan Hawkins was the hottest coach and it was a no brainer to hire him at the moment.

2. Don't know about the Bzdelik hire but he also hired Tad Boyle who has made Colorado a perennial NCAA team. He also raised funds to build a new practice facility.

3. Apparently his hand was forced to hire a "Colorado Man." I am definitely concerned about his coaching hires but Cincinnati appears to be fairly set with Mick and Tuberville.

4. Again, it is a red flag.

Most importantly: He was the AD that navigated Colorado into the PAC12, that is a major accomplishment to me. He also has good relationships with Jurich and Louisville and Neihas, the former Big 12 commissioner.

xubrew
02-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Well, those unhappy donors who call the shots apparently thought he was doing a crappy job then.

Yes, but I don't consider donors to be experts in the field.

This didn't happen at Colorado, but there was a case where a few big time donors went apeshit and wanted a coach fired because the coach didn't want boosters traveling with the team.

Countless times donors have gotten mad at AD's for not hiring personal friends of theirs for jobs that their friends are in no way qualified to do. They would actually go to the president and demand that the AD be fired.

But, despite being on the far end of crazy, sometimes the donors get their way and people are forced out who shouldn't be.

I'm not saying that Bohn is the greatest AD in the country. I'm just saying that you shouldn't read too much into him being forced out, especially not at a place like Colorado, who's fundraising has recently spiked.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm not saying that Bohn is the greatest AD in the country. I'm just saying that you shouldn't read too much into him being forced out, especially not at a place like Colorado, who's fundraising has recently spiked.

And the fact that his football and basketball hires have been a traveshamockery (other than Boyle)?

xubrew
02-06-2014, 03:42 PM
And the fact that his football and basketball hires have been a traveshamockery (other than Boyle)?

That may be a valid reason, but I don't think that's the reason he was let go.

I'm just supposing this, so take it for what it's worth, but.....

After Colorado's donations spiked, he made multiple public statements as to how they were going to spend the money. The donors then threw a fit because they wanted it spent the way they wanted it spent, and not how he was planning to spend it. When he put his plans in place anyway, that's when the donors squealed like stuck pigs, and that's when he was forced out.

Again, take it for what it's worth.

You're right. I think he did make some bad hires. Hawkins and Bzdelik (spell??) were somewhat forgivable, though, because of how successful they had been at Boise and Air Force. But, he did negotiate some very bad deals, and couldn't get rid of them when it was obviously not working out. I just don't think that ultimately had anything to do with why he was forced to resign.

XUFan09
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Bzdelik made sense as a hire for Colorado, based off his previous performance. It's not always easy to spot which guys won't translate success from one level to another. Now, when Wake Forest hired him after that, that's a bit more unforgivable...

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Bzdelik made sense as a hire for Colorado, based off his previous performance. It's not always easy to spot which guys won't translate success from one level to another.

It's not always easy, but that's what ADs get paid to do. If it was easy, that would not be an important, high-paying job.

XUFan09
02-06-2014, 05:46 PM
It's not always easy, but that's what ADs get paid to do. If it was easy, that would not be an important, high-paying job.

Agreed, but because of those circumstances, even good ADs will encounter failure and decent ADs will experience failure even more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Agreed, but because of those circumstances, even good ADs will encounter failure and decent ADs will experience failure even more.

Sure, but Bzdelik, Hawkins AND the guy who replaced Hawkins and was even worse? Thats the trifecta of suck.

xubrew
02-06-2014, 05:56 PM
I think being a senior AD would suck. For starters, they're dealing with all of the external stuff moreso than working with the players and coaches and the day to day operations of everything.

An associate AD/sport administrator at a competitive program that isn't overrun by boosters who are calling the shots like most power conference programs is as high as I'd ever want to go.

X-band '01
02-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Most importantly: He was the AD that navigated Colorado into the PAC12, that is a major accomplishment to me. He also has good relationships with Jurich and Louisville and Neihas, the former Big 12 commissioner.

The question then becomes how well this guy gets along with other Big 12 presidents and ADs; if UC still wants to get into the Big 12, this hire may be a step in that direction.

GoMuskies
02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
The question then becomes how well this guy gets along with other Big 12 presidents and ADs; if UC still wants to get into the Big 12, this hire may be a step in that direction.

I'm not sure hiring a guy who was the AD of a school when it LEFT the Big XII is the greatest approach to trying to get INTO the Big XII.

X-band '01
02-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I don't think any bad blood that Colorado would have with Big 12 schools can compare to what UConn would experience with other schools once they try to get into the ACC. Trying to schmooze BC, Syracuse, and Pitt is going to be a treat.