PDA

View Full Version : Networking Board?

Michigan Muskie
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Would it be feasible to create some kind of networking board? This could be used for current students looking for insight from more experienced members or a place for us to exchange business ideas and proposals.

For instance, I'm currently seeking a property manager in the Cincinnati area to assist with my real estate investments there. For all I know, an excellent property manager is a member of the Xavier Hoops Community - or knows of one.

I think it would make sense to keep it separated from The Mall as it seems to feed a specific niche. It just seems that in the spirit of "all for one and one for all" we should have a place where we have each other's backs.

If it's too much work, I understand. I'll offer to moderate it if it would help.

BBC 08
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I fully support this idea. Being a current senior at Xavier, the job search has taken over most of my life and any help from current Xavier alumni would be appreciated.

94GRAD
03-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I fully support this idea. Being a current senior at Xavier, the job search has taken over most of my life and any help from current Xavier alumni would be appreciated.

I'm looking for an assistant-in-training in my toilet cleaning division.:D

xuirish
03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm looking for an assistant-in-training in my toilet cleaning division.:D

Nothing like getting fired over a message board, thanks alot.

94GRAD
03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Nothing like getting fired over a message board, thanks alot.

I didn't mean for you to see that.

boozehound
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I think that a networking board would be a great idea.

Michigan Muskie
03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Bumping this back up. There seems to be at least moderate interest in a networking board. Unless it is an administrative inconvenience to create a new board like this, I think most of us could potentially benefit from this type of forum.

Again, I'll offer to help moderate if that's an issue.

Muskie
03-10-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking about it. I've got some emails into various people to see how it would work.

Muskie
03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Does anyone use linkedIn here?

xuirish
03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I do not Muskie, but I am all for the networking board... think it would be a great idea

Muskie
03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
I do too... i'm just going over the legalities (on my end).

XU05and07
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM

I do not...but did some research and it sounds like Facebook or MySpace for grown-ups...not a bad idea

xuirish
03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I do not...but did some research and it sounds like Facebook or MySpace for grown-ups...not a bad idea

Are you saying that myspace and facebook users are immature? btw I sent you a gift on facebook :p

American X
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Yes. .

Michigan Muskie
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM
BUMP

When I proposed a networking board, I was not thinking it would be exclusively a job board, although I think that would certainly be of benefit to many on here, particularly the students.

For instance, I am in the process of building a REI team in Cincinnati - looking for an RE attorney, accountant, property manager, and possibly an appraiser, lenders, and a contractor.

I don't know if this distinction changes anything in terms of the legal implications, but I wanted to clarify.

Thanks for looking into this.

ATL Muskie
04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
It's only a matter of time before DC and X-Band propose a dating service. Or they just start dating each other....

BTW, I am not making fun of the networking idea. I think it's a good one.

American X
04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I could use a networking board in the immediate future.

xeus
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
It's only a matter of time before DC and X-Band propose a dating service.

That was tried once by Theo Huxtable with the infamous "What Do We All Look Like" thread.

I like the networking idea - it's a little known fact that I am at the firm I am at now because of networking on musketeer madness.

Muskie
04-02-2008, 12:08 PM
BUMP

When I proposed a networking board, I was not thinking it would be exclusively a job board, although I think that would certainly be of benefit to many on here, particularly the students.

For instance, I am in the process of building a REI team in Cincinnati - looking for an RE attorney, accountant, property manager, and possibly an appraiser, lenders, and a contractor.

I don't know if this distinction changes anything in terms of the legal implications, but I wanted to clarify.

Thanks for looking into this.

Michigan pm me... i know some RE attorneys in Cincy and Indy.

XU Dozer
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I'd love a networking board too. Perhaps I can get lucky like xeus and find some contacts to help get me a job too! lol

XURunner85
04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I think it is a good idea....i also think the dating network for Xavier grads is a great idea..but I don't want X-band or DC nor a dead prostitute in my trunk...

Michigan Muskie
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Here you go STL_XUfan...resurrected from almost three years ago.

Muskie - at one point you were checking out the legalities of something like this. Let me reiterate that I don't see this type of forum as a job board necessarily, but a site where we can visit to both seek and provide business solutions: this could mean hiring, but it could also mean doing business with one another, referrals, or simply idea exchanges.

For example, since 2008, a lot has changed for me. I now contract with three different companies and own two other small businesses. Some of you may benefit from knowing what I do, and I may benefit from knowing what others do.

If it can't be done, just let me know and I'll kill the idea.

WCWIII
02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi Mich Muskie,

For your information (this doesn't preclude people doing some networking through the board here), the Alumni Association is working closely with Career Services and Williams College of Business Professional Development Center to try to do more to help our alumni and students - they have easy to find web sites. If you know your company has a job or internship, have your HR person contact Xavier. Xavier has an excellent mentoring program. One area that we've decided makes sense is for people to make more use of LinkedIn and join the Xavier group. It has advanced search features where you can find Xavier grads in, for example, sports marketing in Chicago. There are networking activities run out of the Cincinnati chapter and networking happy hours or similar activities take place in chapters outside of Cincinnati. Contact your chapter president (or better volunteer to help lead such an event). There is also a Jesuit consortsium if you live outside of Cincinnati, you may be able to use resources closer to you. If you have other suggestions, please feel free to send them to the Alumni Association.

Titanxman04
02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
By the way, I just graduated folks. If you know of anyone hiring or looking for workers, please let me know.

I studied Sport Management and I can provide you with a resume and cover letter if you wish.

Michigan Muskie
02-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi Mich Muskie,

For your information (this doesn't preclude people doing some networking through the board here), the Alumni Association is working closely with Career Services and Williams College of Business Professional Development Center to try to do more to help our alumni and students - they have easy to find web sites. If you know your company has a job or internship, have your HR person contact Xavier. Xavier has an excellent mentoring program. One area that we've decided makes sense is for people to make more use of LinkedIn and join the Xavier group. It has advanced search features where you can find Xavier grads in, for example, sports marketing in Chicago. There are networking activities run out of the Cincinnati chapter and networking happy hours or similar activities take place in chapters outside of Cincinnati. Contact your chapter president (or better volunteer to help lead such an event). There is also a Jesuit consortsium if you live outside of Cincinnati, you may be able to use resources closer to you. If you have other suggestions, please feel free to send them to the Alumni Association.

This is great info. Thanks for sharing.

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Maybe make the neworking area a subsection in the out on the mall?

Muskie
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi Mich Muskie,

I participate in the mentor programming. It's a decent program. X is making strides in this area. I'm going to throw a professional development forum up sometime this weekend.

Strange Brew
02-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Yes. PM me if you'd like to link up and I'll send you me info.

Muskie
02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Networking forum open under Out on the Mall.

Xman95
02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Maybe make the neworking area a subsection in the out on the mall?

Leave it to the Miami guy to come up with the good idea!:D

Michigan Muskie
02-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Leave it to the Miami guy to come up with the good idea!:D

Love and honor.