PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Pleasure: Music Edition

Muskie
12-11-2013, 09:38 PM
We've all got something on out iPod. Have at it.

ballyhoohoo
12-12-2013, 07:51 AM
I'll own up to parts if the soundtracks for: Grease & Dirty Dancing. Also that damn Miley Cyrus song they always played at Cintas. Also, anyone know the Swedish band Junior Senior, yeah.....,,,

danaandvictory
12-12-2013, 07:55 AM
1970s prog rock. Sue me.

casualfan
12-12-2013, 07:59 AM
I caught myself bobbing my head to the new Ke$ha Pitbull trash the other day.

Milhouse
12-12-2013, 08:11 AM
I like the song - pitbull...

GuyFawkes38
12-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Katy Perry, John Mayer, Billy Joel, Joni Mitchell, Kraftwerk, Sting, Tears for Fears. I'm not sure if those are really "guilty pleasures". But definitely feel hesitant admitting I like them.

boozehound
12-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Cheesy 80's pop music. Especially the late 80's early 90's stuff. Peter Cetera. Survivor. A-Ha. etc.

Muskie
12-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Cheesy 80's pop music. Especially the late 80's early 90's stuff. Peter Cetera. Survivor. A-Ha. etc.

Debbie Gibson?

Caveat
12-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Katy Perry, John Mayer, Billy Joel, Joni Mitchell, Kraftwerk, Sting, Tears for Fears. I'm not sure if those are really "guilty pleasures". But definitely feel hesitant admitting I like them.

I wouldn't call Mayer a guilty pleasure. Continuum is probably one of the 5 or so best albums released in the last decade.

GoMuskies
12-12-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure how Billy Joel is a guilty pleasure either. Why would you be hesitant about admitting you like him?

GuyFawkes38
12-12-2013, 08:53 AM
yeah, not sure why I would feel hesitant about Billy Joel/John Mayer. The problem is that I have snobby music friends.

SlimKibbles
12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I tend to always have Enigma on my iPod. Honestly it's good background music while working at my desk and when I have to take a 20-minute power nap in my car while on my lunch break!

Smails
12-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Early Hall and Oates had some serious soul

More recently- Taylor Swift

Tardy Turtle
12-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Currently playing in my iTunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-pP4VboBk

boozehound
12-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Debbie Gibson?

Not my favorite, but not my least favorite. I have been known to listen to, and enjoy, Heart though.

GuyFawkes38
12-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Ah, forgot about English acts. Spice Girls, Lilly Allen, Robbie Williams. Fun stuff.

ballyhoohoo
12-12-2013, 09:56 AM
We've all got something on out iPod. Have at it.

What if I have a Zune?

boozehound
12-12-2013, 10:11 AM
What if I have a Zune?

Zune still exists?

X-band '01
12-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Jock Jams, Volume 1

Gotta love the 90s!

Smails
12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Jock Jams, Volume 1

Gotta love the 90s!

"Y'all ready for this!"

bjf123
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking Abba on my iPhone might count as a guilty pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mohr5150
12-12-2013, 10:46 AM
When I was a late teen, I was seriously into R & B groups like New Edition, Keith Sweat, Bobby Brown, etc. I don't listen to it by choice any more, but when I do hear it, I can't help but sing along. My wife and I subscribe to XM Radio, and she loves the 80's channel. I just can't help myself to sing along to almost all the songs I hear. I am so glad buddies of mine now don't ever see me:)

Caveat
12-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Early Hall and Oates had some serious soul

"Out of Touch" is a go-to song on the jukebox when I've been drinking.

Muskie in dayton
12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Chris Cornell's Scream album. All the Soundgarden fans are sickened by it. I love it.

chico
12-12-2013, 01:37 PM
ABC, Spandau Ballet, and a lot of the new wave bands of the 80's. Every year in England they have the Rewind Festival when all these old bands from the 80's show up and play their hits. If they ever did that over here I'd be all over it.

Hall & Oates is solid.

ammtd34
12-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Most people would probably consider me a music snob, but I love a lot of people mentioned in this thread, especially Billy Joel and Hall and Oates. I absolutely detest anything Pete Cetera touched after Terry Kath died, however :laugh:

I can't get enough of Royals by Lorde, though. I love that song.

PM Thor
12-12-2013, 01:48 PM
All time favorite is "Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners...and any and all '80s alt rock, like Jesus and Mary Chain. Love that stuff.

GuyFawkes38
12-12-2013, 01:56 PM

That is an awesome song. I don't feel guilty about it (already mentioned the song on a different xavierhoops music thread). Great album.

ammtd34
12-12-2013, 01:58 PM
That is an awesome song. I don't feel guilty about it (already mentioned the song on a different xavierhoops music thread). Great album.

I'm not embarrassed about it. Most people I know are surprised that I like it though. What's not to like? It's like Regina Spektor with a thug beat.

Muskie
12-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Zune still exists?
Nope. Although I have one in a junk drawer somewhere

Muskie
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
yeah, not sure why I would feel hesitant about Billy Joel/John Mayer. The problem is that I have snobby music friends.
Billy Joel (back when he had his voice) was a master performer for concerts. One of the best shows I've ever been too. I dare anyone to listen to his Greatest Hits Vol 1-2 (and 3) and tell me he doesn't make good music.

ammtd34
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Billy Joel (back when he had his voice) was a master performer for concerts. One of the best shows I've ever been too. I dare anyone to listen to his Greatest Hits Vol 1-2 (and 3) and tell me he doesn't make good music.

He's still a good performer, he just doesn't sing like he used to. His sit in with Springsteen at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary show was awesome.

boozehound
12-12-2013, 02:23 PM

I'm very glad I got to see him in concert. It was the best show I have ever been to. Billy Joel is a magnificent artist.

Mel Cooley XU'81
12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking Abba on my iPhone might count as a guilty pleasure.

ABBA Rules.

LadyMuskie
12-12-2013, 03:01 PM

I'm very glad I got to see him in concert. It was the best show I have ever been to. Billy Joel is a magnificent artist.

Hands down, the best two concerts I've been to were Billy Joel by himself and Billy Joel and Elton John together. Both of those men know how to entertain a crowd.

Since I have a 5 year old I have a lot of Disney soundtracks on my iPod - Frozen, Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. I've been known to listen to them even when she isn't in the car with me.

boozehound
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Hands down, the best two concerts I've been to were Billy Joel by himself and Billy Joel and Elton John together. Both of those men know how to entertain a crowd.

Since I have a 5 year old I have a lot of Disney soundtracks on my iPod - Frozen, Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. I've been known to listen to them even when she isn't in the car with me.

Billy Joel and Elton John was a great concert. I'm MUCH more of a Billy Joel fan than I am an Elton John fan, but those two on stage together was incredible. The Piano Man duet they did late in the show was simply incredible.

LadyMuskie
12-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Billy Joel and Elton John was a great concert. I'm MUCH more of a Billy Joel fan than I am an Elton John fan, but those two on stage together was incredible. The Piano Man duet they did late in the show was simply incredible.

I agree with you 100%. I was really there to see Billy, and Elton was a bonus. But, they were both incredible. Loved when Billy Joel sang We Didn't Start the Fire and for the lyric "England's got a new queen" they showed a picture of Elton John.

MHettel
12-12-2013, 03:57 PM
for the Hall & Oates fans out there, go out and search YouTube for the following

"Daryl Chromeo Go For" & "Nicki Bluhm Go for"

2 REALLY different renditions of a very good song. You will watch each one over and over. And, Nicki Bluhm is really hot.

Muskie
12-12-2013, 03:59 PM
If people are Daryl Hall fans. He has a show (can't think of the channel) where he basically has people over to his ranch and they jam in his onsite studio and his Wife makes them dinner. It's actually kind of nice to have on if you're doing stuff around the house.

My FIL loves it.

One of my guilty pleasure is Meatlof (Bat out of Hell I and II).

bjf123
12-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I heard an interview with Billy Joel a few years ago and he was asked if he'd do anything differently. His response was if he knew he'd still be performing at this age, he wouldn't have put so many high notes in his songs as his voice can't hit them any more.

GoMuskies
12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I heard an interview with Billy Joel a few years ago and he was asked if he'd do anything differently.

I would have thought Elle Macpherson and Christie Brinkley at the same time, but that's just me.

Muskie
12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I heard an interview with Billy Joel a few years ago and he was asked if he'd do anything differently. His response was if he knew he'd still be performing at this age, he wouldn't have put so many high notes in his songs as his voice can't hit them any more.

Has anyone caught a show of his in the last few years? Is he still performing his hits, or playing some of his new classical/instrumental stuff he's been working on?

Michigan Muskie
12-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't call Mayer a guilty pleasure. Continuum is probably one of the 5 or so best albums released in the last decade.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I just don't get the hype personally. Or maybe it just says something about what's been released in the past decade (more likely.) Music is like food, I suppose -- matters of opinion. But my opinion is that I can't stand the sound of his voice and the shape of his words. I have to switch the radio when a John Mayer song is played. If I had to choose between a John Mayer concert and a Yo Gabba Gabba Live performance, I'm not sure which would be the greater hell.

Sirthought probably remembers my undying love of almost all '80s music. And since he IS a music snob (you know you are) he would likely label it a guilty pleasure. Judge me if you must, but if Eternal Flame by The Bangles comes on, I'm turning it up and probably singing along.

I don't have any guilty pleasures for current music because I pretty much hate it all (with some exceptions.) The John Mayer vs. Yo Gabba Gabba dilemma is dwarfed by what would truly be my undoing: Pitbull vs. Ben Haggerty (aka Macklemore.) Just when I thought I couldn't detest anything more than country music, those two had to break the scene and prove me wrong.

My wife and kids think I'm 90 years old.

chico
12-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I
If people are Daryl Hall fans. He has a show (can't think of the channel) where he basically has people over to his ranch and they jam in his onsite studio and his Wife makes them dinner. It's actually kind of nice to have on if you're doing stuff around the house.

My FIL loves it.

One of my guilty pleasure is Meatlof (Bat out of Hell I and II).

It's on Palladia and it's called Live From Daryl's House. It's a great show. Some old acts, some new acts - everyone from Smokey Robinson to Joe Walsh to Fitz and The Tantrums to Cee Lo. The best one may be when they went to Todd Rundgren's house in Hawaii.

mohr5150
12-12-2013, 06:34 PM

I love The Lion King soundtrack. Some fantastic music.

LadyMuskie
12-12-2013, 06:40 PM
The beginning of Circle of Life, is awesome! I have no idea what I'm singing, but that has never stopped me.

GuyFawkes38
12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
I really think that a lot of Mayer's best work doesn't make it on the radio.

This is awesome. I don't think I've heard Gravity on the radio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnTkVZCxHHs

LadyMuskie
12-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Gravity has been on the radio.

Mayer's best, IMO, is his version of Petty's Free Fallin'.

Cheesehead
12-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Vanilla Ice, fergie ......hey, shut up!

SlimKibbles
12-12-2013, 10:34 PM

Good song. No shame in that. I actually like her song Bravado better though.

Kahns Krazy
12-13-2013, 07:02 AM
For sure my guilty pleasure is Katy Perry. I am way too old to like that shit, but I do. Can't explain it. I'm sure part of it is her giant rack and her old appearance on SNL

http://31.media.tumblr.com/b4827a8c87a06f5ecb1402ca1422b9c3/tumblr_mghmkyV3uw1r6bewxo1_500.gif

ammtd34
12-13-2013, 07:25 AM
The best John Mayer is his Trio stuff with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan. Completely different from his other stuff in that the focus is on the playing rather than getting college girls horny (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Speaking of Steve Jordan, there are youtubes of a show in Oakland in the late 80's with Jordan, John Fogerty, Randy Jackson, Jerry Garcia, and Bob Weir playing CCR songs. The sound and video quality isn't great, but it's cool seeing all those guys on the stage together.

blobfan
12-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Is any of this really worth guilt? Aside from the KP bouncing breasts gif which isn't really music, is it? All of the artists mentioned are pretty well-acclaimed. Maybe Miley Cyrus and 90s jock falls into the guilt category but Billy Joel?!? And classic 80s pop is back baby! That's not guilt.

Now, a middle-aged white lady cruising down the highway in her minivan singing all 3 vocal parts in "Shoop?" Yeah. Always on my iPod. Always sing at full voice. Flo-rida and Pitbull too. Those make me particularly feel guilty because they are all about strippers and shallow macho guys, neither of which I'm known to champion.

What can I say? I just loves me some sweet beats!

Mel Cooley XU'81
12-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Is any of this really worth guilt?

Blobfan, yes. But try this:

The Captain and Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" (written by Neil Sedaka) was (Top 40 DJ Voice:) "Number 1 on the Charts for Four Weeks in the Sweltering Summer of '75" . . . and gets my Guilty Pleasure vote as it was, indeed, The Last Great 45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0sOA6hTg0

Pop-Musically speaking, it's a masterpiece.

And you really need to see the haircuts, "dancing," dresses, and . . . double-banked keyboard playing.

This really happened.

chico
12-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Bryan Adams. Reggae Christmas. 'Tis the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4DOEvQ4E

xudash
12-13-2013, 08:10 PM
You live long enough, you get to see a lot - - The Zombie's getting Millennials excited on Jimmy Fallon's show with one of the all-time great songs.

Who's your daddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjf8F3v18DY

This isn't about guilt. Sorry. It's about a great song that has stood the test of time that now has an entirely new group of fans.

waggy
12-13-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXTH3cipKWY

waggy
12-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Legs & Co was a dance troupe on a BBC show during the disco era called Top of the Pops. They replaced a previous troupe called Pans People. PP was good, but Legs & Co took it up a notch. They were frequently required to wear goofy outfits as evidenced above, but they were tight and lithe pros.

The only depressing thing is the old grey haired guy was found to be a pedophile after he died, and he unfortunately is on some of these vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLW4OU-fRAc

waggy
12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Silver diapers, thumb sucking, baby bonnets, champagne bubbles, and legs. And to think people hated disco, WTF?

This one might bring back memories for the old guys..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUh4Rb2hmE

blobfan
12-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Waggy, those are all GREAT songs. Your last, Born to Be Alive, leads me back to the Guilty Pleasures film thread: Kiss Me, Guido. Silly, charming, great music.

Blobfan, yes. But try this:

The Captain and Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" (written by Neil Sedaka) was (Top 40 DJ Voice:) "Number 1 on the Charts for Four Weeks in the Sweltering Summer of '75" . . . and gets my Guilty Pleasure vote as it was, indeed, The Last Great 45.

Pop-Musically speaking, it's a masterpiece.

And you really need to see the haircuts, "dancing," dresses, and . . . double-banked keyboard playing.

This really happened.

BIG Cpt and Tennille fan here. This particular song is on heavy rotation on my iPod. I know every word.

Not feeling guilty about it at all.

Now, Muskrat Love? THAT you must feel guilty about.

Also, Neil Sedaka ROCKS!

Masterofreality
12-14-2013, 05:52 AM
1970s prog rock. Sue me.

Not guilty about that. YES needs to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

If I have any "guilty pleasure" at all, it's Kelly Clarkson. Got the whole "Breakaway" album. Like it, like her too. The first winner in American Idol, and the only legitimate one in my opinion.

It doesn't hurt that the actual song Breakaway was written by Avril Levigne, who then gave it to Kelly to record. Quality.

Kahns Krazy
12-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Is any of this really worth guilt? Aside from the KP bouncing breasts gif which isn't really music, is it? !

It's music to my eyes. Does that count? It's got a nice beat, too. I could totally dance to that. Lay down dance! HEYYYOOOOO!