PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Loses to Northeastern 63-56

GoMuskies
11-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm revising my Big East conference predictions to move Xavier up to #3, replacing the Hoyas in the top 3.

Northeastern lost their first two to Boston U. and Stony Brook.

kyxu
11-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Georgetown kinda sucks

casualfan
11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Northeastern was also missing one of their top players.

This is a really, really bad loss for the league.

SM#24
11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Meanwhile, old friends Charlotte and UMass beat Kansas St and Nebraska respectively.

GoMuskies
11-21-2013, 02:57 PM
At least Charlotte isn't an A-10 team anymore. I have no interest in being in the A-10 again, of course, I'm just pissed that the whole A-10 waited for THIS season to finally not suck in the non-conference.

I guess it's still early.

The_Mack_Pack
11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
There are some horrible offensive teams in the BE this year and Gtown might be the crown jewel after that performance. It is still early though.

casualfan
11-21-2013, 03:03 PM
There are some horrible offensive teams in the BE this year and Gtown might be the crown jewel after that performance. It is still early though.

Just wait until conference play starts and the refs stop enforcing the new rules. I know everyone hates them now, but if the refs go back to calling games in the Big East like they have been called in the past people are going to be furious.

JAX 3758
11-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Looks like we will just have to carry this league like we did the last one

GoMuskies
11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Looks like we will just have to carry this league like we did the last one

Yeah, I thought we'd have to wait a year or two to get the old flagship out of dry dock. Perhaps not.

Titanxman04
11-21-2013, 03:15 PM
The sails are being checked for tears, and the boat inspected for the voyage. The Flagship will return.

GTown is just crappy in tournaments, lets face it.

The_Mack_Pack
11-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Wonder how much longer GTown fans can stand JT3 and his frequent tourney flops.

XU 87
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
The sails are being checked for tears, and the boat inspected for the voyage. The Flagship will return.

GTown is just crappy in tournaments, lets face it.

I think that's because of their slow style of play. It results in less possessions and the slow play allows less athleic teams to stay in the game.

waggy
11-21-2013, 04:22 PM
When I had this game on early in the 2nd half before having to go out, GTown was leading by 10+. WTF?

Muskie
11-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Wonder how much longer GTown fans can stand JT3 and his frequent tourney flops.

Good question.

X-band '01
11-21-2013, 08:27 PM
That tournament down in Puerto Rico is going to have a couple of upsets today.

HAVOC is getting boatraced by Florida State 70-49 halfway through the 2nd half.

vee4xu
11-21-2013, 08:31 PM
I was reading the Boston Business Journal today at work. It costs $58,000 per year to attend Northeastern. So, they may have also beaten Georgetown in that category as well as the basketball game between them. Though, the tuition cost difference was only about the same relative difference as the score in this game.

Charlesbt4
11-22-2013, 01:00 AM
To be honest, when Xavier joined the Big East, the only team that I had concerns about our team being able to consistently handle was Marquette. Georgetown can recruit as many high-level players as it wants, but until it changes its style of play, the results will be the same. Additionally, every time that I see D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera play, I'm more and more pleased that he chose not to come to Xavier. His game simply doesn't do much for me.

gladdenguy
11-22-2013, 07:51 AM
When I had this game on early in the 2nd half before having to go out, GTown was leading by 10+. WTF?

Georgetown led by 18 at one point and still lost. Terrible loss.

Muskie
11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
To be honest, when Xavier joined the Big East, the only team that I had concerns about our team being able to consistently handle was Marquette. Georgetown can recruit as many high-level players as it wants, but until it changes its style of play, the results will be the same. Additionally, every time that I see D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera play, I'm more and more pleased that he chose not to come to Xavier. His game simply doesn't do much for me.

I think Smith-Rivera is being misused in GT's system. I imagine he would look better somewhere that the system was more open.

MADXSTER
11-22-2013, 08:36 AM
JTIII can recruit. He is #1 in the BE in that regard. He does very little with the amount of talent on that team.

Smith-Rivera would be a much better player if he was wearing a Xavier jersey. Xavier's incoming recruits picked the right school. They probably won't fully realize that until 5 years from now.

GoMuskies
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Georgetown is doing a good job of taking their frustrations out on K-State today. Grudge match against VCU tomorrow most likely. Does VCU think Georgetown is responsible for them not being in the Big East? If so, that could be an interesting side plot to their game tomorrow.

xubrew
11-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Bruce Weber has a very short shelf life.

The_Mack_Pack
11-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Had a nice turnaround with wins over KState and VCU.

xudash
11-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Georgetown is doing a good job of taking their frustrations out on K-State today. Grudge match against VCU tomorrow most likely. Does VCU think Georgetown is responsible for them not being in the Big East? If so, that could be an interesting side plot to their game tomorrow.

Apparently, Georgetown did their best today to convince the Rams that they don't belong in the Big East.

In all seriousness though, what a FT shooting display by Gtown in the second half.

GoMuskies
11-24-2013, 05:05 PM
VCU, by the way, had a horrific tournament. Crushed by Florida State, struggled to beat a bad LBSU team and then bounced by a regional "rival" that they should by all rights be better than this year. When VCU sees a 7 or 8 seed by their name this March, they can look back at this weekend as a huge missed opportunity.

Chalmers0
11-25-2013, 09:04 AM
VCU, by the way, had a horrific tournament. Crushed by Florida State, struggled to beat a bad LBSU team and then bounced by a regional "rival" that they should by all rights be better than this year. When VCU sees a 7 or 8 seed by their name this March, they can look back at this weekend as a huge missed opportunity.

I'm not quite as confident they will even get that after watching them play this weekend. Their press will be as successful as usual but their half court offense and defense are even worse than last year (which wasn't good to begin with). They are really going to miss having a shooter like Troy Daniels out there.

A10fan
11-25-2013, 09:38 AM
every time that I see D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera play, I'm more and more pleased that he chose not to come to Xavier. His game simply doesn't do much for me.

I guess you missed the VCU game. Good call

Chalmers0
11-25-2013, 02:27 PM
every time that I see D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera play, I'm more and more pleased that he chose not to come to Xavier. His game simply doesn't do much for me.

I've actually been extremely impressed with him every time I've seen GTown play. He is typically very poised and under control but he can really score. I'm not sure JT3's system really fits DSR all that well, but that's beside the point.

Masterofreality
11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
I guess you missed the VCU game. Good call

Right. DSR looked great last night. I like who we have now and who is coming, however.

XUFan09
11-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Additionally, every time that I see D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera play, I'm more and more pleased that he chose not to come to Xavier. His game simply doesn't do much for me.

Last season he had an offensive rating of 104.1, which is solidly above average, while being a "significant contributor" in terms of usage rate for a top 25 team. His effective and true shooting percentages were solid, he had one of the best turnover rates in basketball, he didn't foul much, and he had a solid rebounding rate from the guard position.

That's really good for a freshman. His sophomore season so far has been even better, and this is a guy who will probably be impacting the program all four years, as his game and physical/athletic attributes don't translate well to the NBA (similar to Xavier commit Trevon Bluiett).

I like where Xavier is headed, especially with the 2014 class, but let's not act like DSR isn't a really good underclassman that would have been a good addition to the team, especially since the deal was not Semaj or DSR. Xavier still had a serious chance at DSR after Semaj was in the fold.