PDA

View Full Version : No Princeton Offense at Georgetown

Muskie
10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Link (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/23/no-princeton-offense-at-georgetown-according-to-head-coach-john-thompson-iii/)

Ever since John Thompson III took over as the head coach at Georgetown, a program lifted to national prominence by his father, more than a few people have taken to calling his offensive system the “Princeton offense.” JTIII played his college basketball at Princeton under the famed Pete Carril, and that fact along with some visual similarities led to the label being applied to what the Hoyas were doing offensively.
The problem with that is the label’s been used every season to describe what Georgetown’s doing offensively, much to the chagrin of the head coach. And coach Thompson doesn’t want to hear anymore talk about the Hoyas running the “Princeton offense” (http://www.csnwashington.com/ncaa/jtiii-enough-princeton-offense-talk) according to Ben Standig of CSN Washington.

xubrew
10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
The Princeton Offense is used to describe any offense that sets picks to open up back door cuts. It's kind of ridiculous. It's a very non-descript way of describing how a team plays. They shouldn't say that Georgetown runs the Princeton offense, but they really shouldn't say that about anyone else either. Other than Princeton, I guess. In fact, I don't think Princeton runs the Princeton offense anymore. Or maybe they do. If they have a back door cut in their playbook, I guess they do.

xubrew
10-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Anyone that runs any variation of the high post shall from this day forward call it the "UCLA offense." That's what John Wooden ran, so anyone else that runs any variation of it must now call it that.

Anyone who shoots a three-pointer shall from this day forward call it the "Kentucky Offense." UK was really the first team to utilize the three point shot, so any team that shoots a three shall now describe that sort of offense as the Kentucky Offense.

The Pitt Defense is any team that hand checks on defense. Actually, Pitt may lead the nation in fouls this year with some of the new rule changes.

I'm smart enough to know it's not that big of a deal, but I'm dumb enough to let it bother me anyway. Why is literally ANYTHING that resembles a back door cut called the "Princeton Offense??"

GoMuskies
10-24-2013, 09:04 AM
The Princeton offense was super deliberate and had dribble hand-offs out near center court whether someone was guarding the two players executing the dribble hand-off or not. It had a very distinctive "look" to the offense and basically specialized in running the shot clock down to one second and either getting a wide open lay-up or a wide open three-pointer. Georgetown definitely utilized elements of that offense, but they only place I've really seen it completely copied was at Air Force by Joe Scott.

Charlesbt4
10-24-2013, 09:53 AM
The only reason JTIII is upset is because his offense has simply not worked. This is simply a feeble attempt to rebrand a failing system.

Juice
10-24-2013, 10:02 AM
The only reason JTIII is upset is because his offense has simply not worked. This is simply a feeble attempt to rebrand a failing system.

Agreed. He's trying to get away from that so his offense isn't viewed as boring to potential recruits. Georgetown was 293rd in possessions per game last season. He's just churching it up.

X-band '01
10-24-2013, 10:09 AM
They're also trying to get away from embarrassing NCAA losses as well.