PDA

View Full Version : Deadspin - The Great American Menu: Foods Of The States, Ranked And Mapped

mistabeecee41
10-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Coming in at #52...

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Actually quite hilarious.

blueblob06
10-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Wow, that was absolutely great.

Fireball
10-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I love Cincinnati chili, and I absolutely love that this guy hates it so much.

I also wonder if he's ever actually tried it.

MHettel
10-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I live in Seattle and make "Skyline" chili (using a crock pot) every year for the Crosstown shootout . I have no less than 10 people that absolutely devour it and ask when I'm making the next batch. For cookouts / big summer parties people specifically ask me to bring it.

This clown has no idea what he's talking about.

Juice
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I really enjoyed the description/take down of New York pizza.

waggy
10-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Five Guys doesn't even make this guys top 52. Pfft!

blobfan
10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Classic. Cincinnati comes up with both the worst and most American food on the guys list.

DC Muskie
10-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Five Guys doesn't even make this guys top 52. Pfft!

I know right? It's way better than Virginia ham!

Although not a fan of Cincinnati style chili, deep dish pizza in general is disgusting.

Great list though. Very funny. Next time put Five Guys in there!

paulxu
10-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes indeed, South Carolina at #2 with Shrimp and Grits. Excellent choice.

Nigel Tufnel
10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
That was a fun read. Guy has it right about New Mexico. Nothing compares to their green chile. Had 60 lbs shipped about a month ago. Roasted, peeled, chopped and bagged for 3 days. Worth every second....doesnt hurt to be drinking while you do it. Eat them at least 3 times a week. Makes whatever you eat....better. Cheeseburgers, steak, tacos, chicken, pizza, eggs....good stuff. Best kept food secret in America...and I'm glad for that. If they became popular, they'd have about the same worth as gold. 60 lbs of fresh New Mexican green chile ran me about $180 this year. Anyone here who lives near Lebanon and wants to try them....PM me and I'll give you some to try out.

I'm not a huge fan of Cincy chili....but his critique was a bit harsh. It's something different to eat once or twice a year. Although I've never been one to turn down some Fritos Scoops and skyline dip. Shit is good....and, of course, good for you too.

blobfan
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
That was a fun read. Guy has it right about New Mexico. Nothing compares to their green chile. Had 60 lbs shipped about a month ago. Roasted, peeled, chopped and bagged for 3 days. Worth every second....doesnt hurt to be drinking while you do it. Eat them at least 3 times a week. Makes whatever you eat....better. Cheeseburgers, steak, tacos, chicken, pizza, eggs....good stuff. Best kept food secret in America...and I'm glad for that. If they became popular, they'd have about the same worth as gold. 60 lbs of fresh New Mexican green chile ran me about $180 this year. Anyone here who lives near Lebanon and wants to try them....PM me and I'll give you some to try out.

I'm not a huge fan of Cincy chili....but his critique was a bit harsh. It's something different to eat once or twice a year. Although I've never been one to turn down some Fritos Scoops and skyline dip. Shit is good....and, of course, good for you too.

Skyline DIP rocks but the chili? I just have trouble calling something chili when there are no beans involved. Technically it's just a meat sauce with add-ons.

Nigel Tufnel
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Skyline DIP rocks but the chili? I just have trouble calling something chili when there are no beans involved. Technically it's just a meat sauce with add-ons.

Don't disagree...like I said, not a big fan at all...eat it once or twice a year when the kids want coneys. I'm not a big fan of clove and/or cinnamon in my chili.

waggy
10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
A more accurate name would probably be Greek spaghetti sauce.

waggy
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
My wife from So Cal loved it, but her mom hated it. It's one of those things.

nuts4xu
10-17-2013, 10:53 PM
My wife from So Cal loved it, but her mom hated it. It's one of those things.

This is one of those things. I know people from out of town that absolutely love it, and others that get nauseous just from the smell.

I was raised on the stuff and I think it's great. But I can also understand why people used to other types of chili would not enjoy the local version.

XUOHTX
10-18-2013, 10:26 AM
This just opened near my house and they do a pretty good job. It's how I get my Skyline fix. http://www.theconeyshop.com/

PMI
10-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I think Skyline is gross. Deadspin can be annoying more often than not, but they hit the nail on the head with this one. It always amazed me that people took such pride in the chili out there. I feel like Cincinnati folks have convinced themselves, over generations, not only that it's edible, but that it's actually really good, because it's their thing. I remember how everyone swore I had to try it, it would be a game changer, etc., and it was just bad fast food that leads to bad diarrhea, to put it nicely. I think there's something to states/regions having their own signature food that its locals are proud of. If I had a friend visiting me, I would take him or her out for some delicious Maryland crabs (not crab cakes, real pick them yourself blue crabs.) That is a true signature food, Cincinnati. Take note. Nobody wants to try the fast food diarrhea that you so boldly claim as your town's signature dish. You guys should steer away from subjecting us who are outside your bubble to bad chili, and start pimping Graeter's as your main attraction. Now that stuff is AWESOME.

Juice
10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I think Skyline is gross. Deadspin can be annoying more often than not, but they hit the nail on the head with this one. It always amazed me that people took such pride in the chili out there. I feel like Cincinnati folks have convinced themselves, over generations, not only that it's edible, but that it's actually really good, because it's their thing. I remember how everyone swore I had to try it, it would be a game changer, etc., and it was just bad fast food that leads to bad diarrhea, to put it nicely. I think there's something to states/regions having their own signature food that its locals are proud of. If I had a friend visiting me, I would take him or her out for some delicious Maryland crabs (not crab cakes, real pick them yourself blue crabs.) That is a true signature food, Cincinnati. Take note. Nobody wants to try the fast food diarrhea that you so boldly claim as your town's signature dish. You guys should steer away from subjecting us who are outside your bubble to bad chili, and start pimping Graeter's as your main attraction. Now that stuff is AWESOME.

I think you got a weak stomach or maybe I'm just used to it, but I never get sick from Skyline or Goldstar.

bjf123
10-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Whether or not chili has beans is a point of contention. Google that question and you'll get lots of answers on both sides. The International Chili Society does not allow beans or pasta in their chili competitions.

It all depends on what you grow up with. I've got friends from the East Coast who think anything other than New York style pizza is terrible. I've had that style pizza and don't really care for it. It's OK, but would not be my first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanxman04
10-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Graeters would have been the better choice for sure.

spazzrico
10-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Yes indeed, South Carolina at #2 with Shrimp and Grits. Excellent choice.

Yep, it's great. My only problem is how gentrified the dish has become. I haven't lived here long enough to witness this, because since 2004ish I mostly only see it in upscale restaurants. But it is/was such an everyday food in the lowcountry. Now you can barely find it for less that $15.

SM#24
10-18-2013, 12:10 PM

You know what I find so incredibly funny and ironic about this whole thing, given that we're talking about Cincinnati Chili here? You people who are not Cincinnati Chili fans have no idea what it feels like for a group of people to come into your lives, and tell you that something you've been doing your entire life with nothing but pure intentions, passion and positivity, is wrong and you should stop. People just enforcing their way into your shit and telling you your ways are not going to do anymore, after 80+ years of proudly doing it. Having these fucking agenda-driving phonies accusing you of having poor taste when you know motherfucking well in your heart that you do.
What qualifies you to say that the Cincinnati Chili is bad food because it gives you a bad taste in your mouth? Why are the Native Cincinnatians and others elsewhere who love the 3-way and the Coney, wrong to ? How in the fuck can you argue that we should stop eating our region’s signature food ?

Go ahead and continue to not support the Skyline and Gold Star franchises you didn't anyway. We sure as hell don't need any of you.

PMI
10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
You know what I find so incredibly funny and ironic about this whole thing, given that we're talking about Cincinnati Chili here? You people who are not Cincinnati Chili fans have no idea what it feels like for a group of people to come into your lives, and tell you that something you've been doing your entire life with nothing but pure intentions, passion and positivity, is wrong and you should stop. People just enforcing their way into your shit and telling you your ways are not going to do anymore, after 80+ years of proudly doing it. Having these fucking agenda-driving phonies accusing you of having poor taste when you know motherfucking well in your heart that you do.
What qualifies you to say that the Cincinnati Chili is bad food because it gives you a bad taste in your mouth? Why are the Native Cincinnatians and others elsewhere who love the 3-way and the Coney, wrong to ? How in the fuck can you argue that we should stop eating our region’s signature food ?

Go ahead and continue to not support the Skyline and Gold Star franchises you didn't anyway. We sure as hell don't need any of you.

I'll give you a D- for effort even though your attempt at satire is not nearly as clever as you thought it was when you were writing it, and is certainly in no way ironic, even by Alanis Morresette's standards. Seems to me you've been waiting awhile to use this bit, and you pulled the trigger too early because it doesn't really work with this topic. To be honest, there's no point in arguing over taste. If Cinci people enjoy eating diarrhea, I certainly won't try and stop them. Just know that most people from other places see Skyline as the nasty fast food joint it is. I don't think I've ever met a town of people more defensive over food (mostly average to bad food) than in Cincinnati, and Skyline pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. I'm not a huge chili fan in general, but I've had some good, high quality chili over the years. Skyline is to that as dayton is to Xavier. Apparently, you guys in the Queen City who feel differently, are the the vast minority. And there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect people to agree with you when the discussion comes up, as the dumb article suggests.

Juice
10-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I'll give you a D- for effort even though your attempt at satire is not nearly as clever as you thought it was when you were writing it, and is certainly in no way ironic, even by Alanis Morresette's standards. Seems to me you've been waiting awhile to use this bit, and you pulled the trigger too early because it doesn't really work with this topic. To be honest, there's no point in arguing over taste. If Cinci people enjoy eating diarrhea, I certainly won't try and stop them. Just know that most people from other places see Skyline as the nasty fast food joint it is. I don't think I've ever met a town of people more defensive over food (mostly average to bad food) than in Cincinnati, and Skyline pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. I'm not a huge chili fan in general, but I've had some good, high quality chili over the years. Skyline is to that as dayton is to Xavier. Apparently, you guys in the Queen City who feel differently, are the the vast minority. And there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect people to agree with you when the discussion comes up, as the dumb article suggests.

I don't think anyone in Cincinnati argues that Skyline or Goldstar have "real" chili but consider it more as something that goes on pasta, coneys, fries, etc. like a gravy. Very rarely do you see people eating a bowl by itself with nothing else like people normally do with chili. I consider chili and Cincinnati chili in two completely different categories.

XUOHTX
10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
I think we might be burying the lede here.

The real story is that for all of Ohio, Cincinnati is where you can get the "Foodstuff of the state." Take that other Ohio cities not named Cincinnati.

danaandvictory
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I think it's really great that PMI drops in to tell people from Cincinnati all the stuff they do and think that "other people" know is stupid. I mean, how else would we know? Here and I've been thinking burgers at Gordo's were good! WHAT A FOOL I WAS.

sweet16
10-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Well crafted!

XU 87
10-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I think Skyline is gross. Deadspin can be annoying more often than not, but they hit the nail on the head with this one. It always amazed me that people took such pride in the chili out there. I feel like Cincinnati folks have convinced themselves, over generations, not only that it's edible, but that it's actually really good, because it's their thing.

I think Skyline is great. And I don't have to convince myself of that- I just really like it. But I now put light cheese on my three way to cut down on the fat and calories to some very small extent.

I had an Empress 3-way for lunch to day. Pretty good, a little thicker, but not as good Skyline.

SM#24
10-18-2013, 01:33 PM
You're right, I did think it was clever to respond to your "I'm right and you're all wrong" diatribes with another of yours. But no, I have not been waiting on this. I'm not from Cincinnati and while I generally find their burgers (except for Big Dans) and MI ribs to be average to slightly above average, I do love Cincinnati chili. And I actually found the article to be quite humourous.

danaandvictory
10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I think Skyline is great. And I don't have to convince myself of that- I just really like it. But I now put light cheese on my three way to cut down on the fat and calories to some very small extent.

I had an Empress 3-way for lunch to day. Pretty good, a little thicker, but not as good as the good as Skyline.

Don't you understand that you literally ate a plate of HUMAN SHIT? Why didn't you pre-clear your meal with someone from the Chesapeake Bay Watershed?

SM#24
10-18-2013, 01:35 PM
So what if Cincinnati chili comes out looking the same as it went in, don't we do that with corn as well ?
All I know is it tastes good.

PMI
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I think it's really great that PMI drops in to tell people from Cincinnati all the stuff they do and think that "other people" know is stupid. I mean, how else would we know? Here and I've been thinking burgers at Gordo's were good! WHAT A FOOL I WAS.

You're right, I did think it was clever to respond to your "I'm right and you're all wrong" diatribes with another of yours. But no, I have not been waiting on this. I'm not from Cincinnati and while I generally find their burgers (except for Big Dans) and MI ribs to be average to slightly above average, I do love Cincinnati chili. And I actually found the article to be quite humourous.

It's very clear that my theory on how sensitive Cincinnati people are about their food is absolutely true, unless everyone is just on their periods today. What you people seem to miss is that I'm the ONLY one in this thread who has mentioned that there is no winning or losing an argument over taste, even though you guys wrongly insinuate that I somehow tried to suggest what is and is not, objectively, tasty. I never called anyone wrong or stupid, you guys just took it that way because you're super defensive about your food. I've never suggested that I'm any more "right" than anyone, because there is no such thing when it comes to taste. I think Skyline sucks. In my experience, the majority of those from outside Cincinnati who I know, who have had it, didn't think it was anything special at all. That's just me weighing in on the mildly entertaining article that ranked Ohio dead last in a debate which is completely a matter of personal taste. You guys can take it as me being a meany pants all you want, and feel free to take my words to mean something more than what they are all you two want, but just know it's you guys who are being overly sensitive about an argument that nobody can ever win or lose. What you guys choose to "nourish" yourself with is neither my business nor my interest. If you want to bitch about it to someone, I suggest writing Deadspin.

Fireball
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I have family in the Carolinas, and generally love the food and the people in that area as well. But, I think grits are disgusting.

That being said, I don't begrudge people in that area who love grits and enjoy them. I do not feel the need to tell every person I know in the Carolinas just how much I dislike grits. I've honestly never understood why people who don't like a certain food feel like they have to tell everyone who likes that food how awful it is and how stupid they are for liking it.

I'm also more amused by the hatred spilling out of this article and by people who detest Cincinnati chili more than I am insulted by being called stupid for liking one of my favorite foods. Cincinnati chili is definitely a very bipolar food. You either love it or you hate it...there's very little in between. If someone hates it, my perception is that they are missing out.

So, if someone is around me where Cincinnati chili is being served and they hate it, that's great! More for me! However, I would hope that the person would have a little better awareness than to talk about diarrhea in that situation. People like me are trying to enjoy their delicious chili.

SM#24
10-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Easy PMI, I'm just having a go at you mate and your passionate writings on topics ranging from human pelts to edible human waste.

PMI
10-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Easy PMI, I'm just having a go at you mate and your passionate writings on topics ranging from human pelts to edible human waste.

I guess I should just accept that people are going to drag the Redskins debate into many of the threads I'm involved in. I suppose if I had come in here, guns a blazin', telling all you fine Cincinnati fellows that Skyline Chili should be banned by the FDA and disallowed to ever run its business again, it would make a little more sense in that context. But I think people should be able to eat whatever they want, regardless of what others feel about it.

waggy
10-18-2013, 02:45 PM
You're not even a state, just a district. Go away.

XU 87
10-18-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't like fish. I especially don't like Maryland crab cakes, unless they are covered in Skyline Chili.

XU-PA
10-18-2013, 02:58 PM
when I lived in Maine a neighbor who ran a horse stable/riding center had an open house and invited us all down to participate in a chili contest., we made a crockpot full from one of the envelopes of spice, our own ground beef etc. that and a steam pan of noodles was one of 2 hits of the day. the other was a killer chicken/jalapeno white chili. not a bit of the Cinti chili left over.

funny article, but anyone who puts green jello with carrots. and lutefisk above well made cincinnati chili has not had any of the three

GoMuskies
10-18-2013, 03:04 PM
I like Skyline, NY pizza, deep dish pizza, burgoo and just about everything else on that list. Bunch of snobs.

XU-PA
10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
This just opened near my house and they do a pretty good job. It's how I get my Skyline fix. http://www.theconeyshop.com/

Got you beat,,, by alot. This https://www.facebook.com/CincysFinestMarket right next to this http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34141-d388973-r130876940-Skyline_Chili_INC-Clearwater_Florida.html

in Clearwater Fla

PMI
10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
You're not even a state, just a district. Go away.

I'm in Maryland. We were ranked 4th to your 52nd. Crabs or glorified taco bell? I guess to each their own.

danaandvictory
10-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I like Skyline, NY pizza, deep dish pizza, burgoo and just about everything else on that list. Bunch of snobs.

Me too. I like it all. If I could I'd eat all day long and weigh a thousand pounds.

Michigan Muskie
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
A 3-way from Skyline is the perfect confluence of flavors and textures for my taste, and is especially rewarding after a night on the town. I also enjoy goetta with eggs, another Cincinnati staple. I am not "proud" of these foods, as I had nothing to do with creating them. It doesn't even really matter that they have roots in the Cincinnati region, other than I probably never would have experienced them had I not grown up there. I just really, thoroughly enjoy Skyline and could realistically eat two meals a day there. (When I was in high school, I did.)

To those who don't like it: to each his own - it doesn't bother me. Why should it? I don't like tomatoes. So there.

And I found the article pretty humorous all the way through, including the Skyline hatred. My favorite was Utah. Good stuff.

paulxu
10-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Fireball, somehow you must have got some bad grits.
Call me the next time you're down this way. I'll fix that for ya.

Porkopolis
10-18-2013, 09:27 PM
I love good Cincinnati chili. Unfortunately Skyline is not good Cincinnati chili. Their seasoning is nice but I can't get past the dog food grade meat, dry cheese and overcooked flavorless pasta. The small parlors are the way to go.

Nigel Tufnel
10-18-2013, 11:55 PM

I'm intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Edit: Lou Malnati's Deep Dish in Chicago is crazy good. How the hell do they make a deep dish that light? It's not heavy at all...has to be witchcraft.

nuts4xu
10-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I guess I should just accept that people are going to drag the Redskins debate into many of the threads I'm involved in. I suppose if I had come in here, guns a blazin', telling all you fine Cincinnati fellows that Skyline Chili should be banned by the FDA and disallowed to ever run its business again, it would make a little more sense in that context. But I think people should be able to eat whatever they want, regardless of what others feel about it.

Next time you are in town, we will hit skyline for a few cheese coneys. I think I can put you in the right state of mind, where you can better understand how delicious skyline can be.

Deal?

DC Muskie
10-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Can we all agree that LaRossa is worse than anything called Cincinnati chili?

nuts4xu
10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Can we all agree that LaRossa is worse than anything called Cincinnati chili?

I like LaRosas but it's not my first choice in pizza. Papa Johns is the grossest pizza I have ever had, yet in certain situations I will still eat it.

nuts4xu
10-19-2013, 11:08 AM
DC Muskie, honest question....did you enjoy any of the food or restaurants thought to be Cincinnati in nature? As someone who didn't grow up here, I'm curious to learn what your favorite spots are. If people come from out of town, where should I suggest they go?

PMI
10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Next time you are in town, we will hit skyline for a few cheese coneys. I think I can put you in the right state of mind, where you can better understand how delicious skyline can be.

Deal?

I think we should make it a Graeter's trip personally, but if we do Skyline, I will require a lot of, shall we say, motivation to be hungry for anything.

gladdenguy
10-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Papa Johns could be the worst pizza in America.

PMI,
I do know a bunch of out of towners who aren't big on it either.
As for me.....everything about it is unreal. Coneys, chilitos, 4-ways.....and my little girls love it. A cheap family meal. I don't know what I would do without it.

DC Muskie
10-19-2013, 11:54 AM
DC Muskie, honest question....did you enjoy any of the food or restaurants thought to be Cincinnati in nature? As someone who didn't grow up here, I'm curious to learn what your favorite spots are. If people come from out of town, where should I suggest they go?

I'll preface this answer by saying in my experience in speaking about Cincinnati food with anyone from Cincinnati usually goes like this:

Cincinnatian: Montgomery Inn/Skyline/LaRossa's/Any Cincinnati based food is the best.
Me: Not even close.
Cincy: Who are you outside guy snob, to tell us what is good?

Or
Cincy: I always find it funny when someone from the east coast thinks is good food. Next time I will get permission before I go out to eat.
Me: Okay.

The point being in my experience there is no place where people are so boastful about their food and in turn so sensitive about criticism to it. Maybe there are other places, but I haven't encountered one.

Now to answer your question. I like Arthurs. There are a few places I like but for the life of me I can't remember the names. There's a burger and beer place in Mt. Adams I enjoyed. In college when my parents came to town we always went to this awesome steak place I think on the west side called Nick's I think. Sorry I need to check with them for the name, but the place was great.

I like MI, but I don't think it's great. I used to love the Hitching Post in Kentucky, but I guess it burned down.

Frankly I don't think I'm hard to please, but there isn't a whole lot of great food out here either. There is no good pizza, steak places are hard to find and British pubs here go all out with British fare, which is hard to make taste good in general. However seafood here is very good, Mexican is good and Asian is pretty good as well.

I live over on Capitol Hill and the places by me if you had to categorize it as "okay." The French places in this city are really good.

I don't get back to Cincinnati that often, so I can't remember anything but Arthurs on what's good.

paulxu
10-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I was fortunate to live in Cincinnati during the days of great cuisine. I suspect some of it is coming back.
Here's a short article that describes the restaurant scene at that time.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/cincinnatihistory/Story.aspx?ID=1546210

But I am more than happy when I return to visit Zips, Graeters, and some other old watering holes.
And 5 guys is just a Dana's wannabe.

GoMuskies
10-19-2013, 01:40 PM
I also like Papa John's pizza. And LaRossa's pizza. And of course Graeters and Busken. I like it all.

Except goetta. That's shit's nasty.

DC Muskie
10-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Oh man how could I forget about Zips. Love Zips.

Mel Cooley XU'81
10-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Edit: Lou Malnati's Deep Dish in Chicago is crazy good. How the hell do they make a deep dish that light? It's not heavy at all...has to be witchcraft.

You are correct, Nigel. Lou's deep dish is very good pizza. With the sausage patties, please. But Chicago Deep Dish is a tourist trap. Like naming the best restaurant at Disney World. Go sit on a Chicagoan's couch and say, "Let's go out for pizza; you pick the place; I'm buying." An hour later you'll be enjoying a terrific thin crust pizza.* Maybe it'll be a pan. But deep-dish or stuffed? Not so much. And I can't tell you why. Maybe the deep dish places are too crowded with out of towners.

I used to love the Hitching Post in Kentucky, but I guess it burned down.

Au contraire, as they say across the river.

See my recent review on the Best Restaurants in Cincinnati thread.

###

* Same works for delivery.

X-man
10-20-2013, 09:58 AM
I have lived in Cincinnati for nearly thirty years. In my first year, I was pushed into trying Goldstar chili...awful!!! I managed to avoid ever touching Cincinnati-style "chili" again until I attended a wedding a couple of years ago where the reception was held at the (ugh) Skyline chili place on fifth street downtown. There I was pushed into trying both a Coney and a 5-way. I found both to be absolutely disgusting. But what do I know? I hate goetta, and I also can't stand either LaRosa's pizza or Montgomery Ribs. They are both way too sweet. I like Graeter's OK but hey, it's just ice cream and not especially good ice cream at that. I frankly prefer Servati's. And the sushi at Jo-An near the airport is the best I have ever eaten.

KC4X
10-20-2013, 11:01 AM
There's a morroccon restaurant in Ann Arbor (on Carpenter/Washtenaw right by I 94) called, "Palm Palace." I don't see it on the menu any longer, but they used to serve a lamb chili that had the same flavor profile as Cincinnati chili. The texture was different, though, because it had very tender chunks of lamb, which I prefer. I can definitely understand why people don't care for the texture of Cincinnati chili. I never make it in the traditional way. I think the spices used are just typical of that region - Turkey, Greece, Morrocco.

Back to Palm Palace - it's one of my favorite restaurants in general. If you live near there, I highly recommend it. The bread is second to none (small, pillowy pitas), and I've never had a bad dish. If you try to spicy hummus, be aware that it is pretty spicy but very good. Their hummus is the best I've had at a restaurant.

Kahns Krazy
10-20-2013, 12:49 PM

I find beans disgusting, and cooked beans in chili are about the grossest texture I can imagine.

I like Skyline. I did think the article was pretty funny.

paulxu
10-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I like Graeter's OK but hey, it's just ice cream and not especially good ice cream at that.

Well, that certainly explains why it is often ranked in the top 10 ice creams in the country.

http://travel.usnews.com/features/Americas_Best_Ice_Cream/

I do wonder what this Jeni's in Columbus is doing. Would like to try it.

Kahns Krazy
10-20-2013, 05:22 PM
I have lived in Cincinnati for nearly thirty years. In my first year, I was pushed into trying Goldstar chili...awful!!! I managed to avoid ever touching Cincinnati-style "chili" again until I attended a wedding a couple of years ago where the reception was held at the (ugh) Skyline chili place on fifth street downtown. There I was pushed into trying both a Coney and a 5-way. I found both to be absolutely disgusting. But what do I know? I hate goetta, and I also can't stand either LaRosa's pizza or Montgomery Ribs. They are both way too sweet. I like Graeter's OK but hey, it's just ice cream and not especially good ice cream at that. I frankly prefer Servati's. And the sushi at Jo-An near the airport is the best I have ever eaten.

You have quite the refined palate. Servatii's will be thrilled to discover they now have ice cream.

Fireball
10-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I like Graeter's, but I'll take some UDF Homemade Ice Cream over it any day.

Porkopolis
10-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Well, that certainly explains why it is often ranked in the top 10 ice creams in the country.

http://travel.usnews.com/features/Americas_Best_Ice_Cream/

I do wonder what this Jeni's in Columbus is doing. Would like to try it.

Jeni's Queen City Cayenne is inspired by the spice of Cincinnati chili. Incredible stuff, as is everything they make.

X-man
10-20-2013, 07:10 PM
You have quite the refined palate. Servatii's will be thrilled to discover they now have ice cream.

My bad. I meant Aglamesis.

bjf123
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
The point being in my experience there is no place where people are so boastful about their food and in turn so sensitive about criticism to it. Maybe there are other places, but I haven't encountered one.
How about New York or Chicago? Those I've encountered from both cities think the sun rises and sets around their food. As a native Cincinnatian, I agree about Montgomery Inn. I'm not a fan. The sauce is too sweet. LaRosa's is OK. It's not my favorite pizza, but it's not the worst out there. Too much sauce for my taste. Skyline? Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulxu
10-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Paris can be a little uppity about their food. Then again...

Fireball
10-20-2013, 07:48 PM
LaRosa's is my favorite pizza, but I understand why some people don't like it. The sauce is pretty different from your typical pizza sauce. I get why the sweetness would both some people.

Honestly, I understand why people don't like Cincinnati chili also. I just don't understand the whole "I don't like <insert food here> so you are either stupid for liking it, or just like to eat trash".

Blue Blobs Bro
10-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Yes

BandAid
10-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Since all the outta-towners are checking in, I will too:

Skyline = it's good, not life changing
Graeter's = delicious
Aglamesis = ice cream is good, whip cream is the tits
Montgomery Inn = alright. the best I've ever had there was their duck. I repeat, the best thing I had at a place known for barbeque is their duck
LaRosa's = nasty
PRC = gravy cheese fries are the only thing to get, and they're amazing (although I've only had them at 3 in the morning)
Servatii's = great pretzel bread
Goetta = also awesome (although I've only had it at Price Hill Chili)

Side notes:

Scrapple, the dish chosen for PA, is disgusting. And it's a lot like goetta

The meat pies mentioned for NE are so-so. The best part of Runza's is that in the winter they have temperature Tuesdays where you get a runza for the price of the temperature outside (great on days when it's below freezing, even better when the temperature drops to zero)

Retire33
10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Since all the outta-towners are checking in, I will too:

Skyline = it's good, not life changing
Graeter's = delicious
Aglamesis = ice cream is good, whip cream is the tits
Montgomery Inn = alright. the best I've ever had there was their duck. I repeat, the best thing I had at a place known for barbeque is their duck
LaRosa's = nasty
PRC = gravy cheese fries are the only thing to get, and they're amazing (although I've only had them at 3 in the morning)
Servatii's = great pretzel bread
Goetta = also awesome (although I've only had it at Price Hill Chili)

Side notes:

Scrapple, the dish chosen for PA, is disgusting. And it's a lot like goetta

The meat pies mentioned for NE are so-so. The best part of Runza's is that in the winter they have temperature Tuesdays where you get a runza for the price of the temperature outside (great on days when it's below freezing, even better when the temperature drops to zero)

Well, I'm the very local (28 years in this place). I would in fact agree with some of your insight and surprisingly disagree in others

Skyline = Eat is once if not twice a week; top of the pyramid.
Graeter's = as average as average gets, never understood the fanfare. Longer lines during weekends total turn off.
Aglamesis = Above average, not worth the hassle.
Montgomery Inn = Depends on the night, feel like food is very inconsistent. It can be 10/10 or just another meal.
LaRosa's = nasty!!!!!!!! Capital N (calzone and few other items excluded)
PRC = Nice change of pace from Skyline and Gravy fries are on point
Servatii's = great pretzel bread (AGREE)
Goetta = not my favorite but can be good depending on from where purchased

Not listed---

Homemade/UDF = This is ice cream - Peanut Butter Malt for the win.
Toot's = Good wings and Frog legs
D'Shea's = best prime rib in town

there are many other great food in this town. I'm sure everyone's list of above places would run the gambit. That's what makes us all individuals. Not worth getting panties in a bunch over a rogue article or others that disagree.

Mrs. Garrett
10-20-2013, 11:59 PM
You are correct, Nigel. Lou's deep dish is very good pizza. With the sausage patties, please. But Chicago Deep Dish is a tourist trap. Like naming the best restaurant at Disney World. Go sit on a Chicagoan's couch and say, "Let's go out for pizza; you pick the place; I'm buying." An hour later you'll be enjoying a terrific thin crust pizza.* Maybe it'll be a pan. But deep-dish or stuffed? Not so much. And I can't tell you why. Maybe the deep dish places are too crowded with out of towners.

Au contraire, as they say across the river.

See my recent review on the Best Restaurants in Cincinnati thread.

###

* Same works for delivery.

As a Chicagoan, I would recommend Pequod's pan pizza get it with extra sauce. If you're in Chicago and follow my advice you will thank me later.

blobfan
10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Wow. This thread meandered a bit but I'm impressed that it got back on topic. I still think the article was pretty funny. Dude skewered just about everyone and some of his picks were inexplicable. If you pluck it straight from the water, cook and serve can you really call it a signature dish or is it more an accident of geography? Jello w/ carrots could be a signature dish in any suburban locale pre-Julia Child. You just can't take anything he said seriously because it was a complete opinion piece by a guy who apparently doesn't like ANY food or know where half of the states listed are found on the map.

Do people in Cleveland and Toledo eat Skyline? We used to put regular chili on spaghetti noodles but never used the cinnamon spice blend. It wasn't until I moved to Cincy that I encountered that. Is there anything else that would be a better state food for Ohio?

paulxu
10-21-2013, 01:35 PM
If you pluck it straight from the water, cook and serve can you really call it a signature dish or is it more an accident of geography?

It depends on how you cook it, and how good your grits are.

paulxu
10-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, I see all you Skyline lovers/haters took it to Deadspin.
I'm pretty sure PMI wrote the lead-in.

http://deadspin.com/chili-slander-cincinnati-media-reacts-to-our-state-f-1450096678?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Juice
10-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, I see all you Skyline lovers/haters took it to Deadspin.
I'm pretty sure PMI wrote the lead-in.

http://deadspin.com/chili-slander-cincinnati-media-reacts-to-our-state-f-1450096678?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I like Cincinnati chili and also thought the original Deadspin rankings were pretty funny, including the part about Cincinnati chili. It's sad that some people can't read something on Deadspin and realize that it was meant to be funny.

PM Thor
10-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Cincinnati Chili is probably the most unique food on that list. So there really is nothing to compare it to. You either love it or despise it. I get that. Oh, and Skyline is a fast food restaurant. There are waaaaay better shops to go to, to get good chili. I consider Skyline and Goldstar the base denominator when it comes to chili.

Also, Cincy has the most chili parlors in the nation. I think we know what we like. Hate it if you like, but don't act like anyone around the country makes anything similar any better.

blobfan
10-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Dude claims to have eaten Cincinnati chili 80+ times. I think he did A LOT of drinking. Probably a lot of smoking too. Why else would you keep eating something you think of as diarrhea sludge? To me, this may be the funniest part of the whole thing.

Juice
10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Dude claims to have eaten Cincinnati chili 80+ times. I think he did A LOT of drinking. Probably a lot of smoking too. Why else would you keep eating something you think of as diarrhea sludge? To me, this may be the funniest part of the whole thing.

Why do I keep going back to Chipotle? Some things just can't be answered.

blobfan
10-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Why do I keep going back to Chipotle? Some things just can't be answered.

Can't really compare cheap meat sauce to fresh salsa and locally sourced meats but is this some sort of admission from you of excessive alcohol and marijuana consumption?

Kahns Krazy
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
I might get some cheese coneys tonight.

ThrowDownDBrown
10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
If you don't like Skyline you shouldn't be allowed inside Cintas

Kahns Krazy
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I didn't get skyline. I got Mac's pizza. The philly cheesesteak pizza with the beer cheese sauce. Heavenly. They also had Mad Tree psycHOPathy on tap for $3 a pint. Yum. This will get crossposted to the restaurant thread.

NY44
10-24-2013, 04:43 PM

If that was a rule Xavier would have no one to play and maybe 1 or 2 players to suit up. Out of everyone I know who went to X and was not from Cinci (myself included) not many like Skyline.

Kahns Krazy
10-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Interesting. I find the people that I work with that are not from Cincy are at least 50/50 on skyline, probably even more that like than dislike.

blobfan
10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I for one am glad that's not a rule as the bathrooms would be even messier by the ends of games. I prefer to spend my money on beer, anyway.

paulxu
03-19-2014, 08:39 PM
I might get some cheese coneys tonight.

It seems that you are in the Park Slope Co-op Regional Bracket as a 14 seed...matched up against Guy Fawkes.

http://deadspin.com/who-are-the-bitchiest-most-defensive-fans-in-america-1542968511

waggy
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
It seems that you are in the Park Slope Co-op Regional Bracket as a 14 seed...matched up against Guy Fawkes.

http://deadspin.com/who-are-the-bitchiest-most-defensive-fans-in-america-1542968511

I don't usually bother, but I decided to read that. I laughed out load when I came the first 16 seed.