Makinde London has committed to Xavier.

Alright!

paulxu
09-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Chris Mack...rebuilding PFU.

Masterofreality
09-25-2013, 02:44 PM
YEAH!!!!!!

So much for that "lawsuit" scaring off recruits.

ballyhoohoo
09-25-2013, 02:45 PM
4* Forward per Scout, Rivals and ESPN

6-9, 195 | Class of 2014

Hometown: Thompson's Station, Tenn.
School: Montverde Academy
Position: Power Forward

And he's a musketeer.

More Cowbell
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
And he's a musketeer.

And boom goes the dynamite!

blueblob06
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
In summary....WOOOHOOO!!!!

LET'S GO MUSKIES!!!

Titanxman04
09-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Looooove it! Great news today! Welcome to X Mr. London!

casualfan
09-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Now we cross our fingers and hope he qualifies.

PMI
09-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Huge get. Can't wait to sign him.

Chalmers0
09-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Hilarious.

Absolutely great work by Mack and the staff (Scout article does a great job of outlining his relationship with Mack). I'm sure it didn't hurt to bring DFW in for his visit. Really excited to see Makinde in a Xavier uniform.

casualfan
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Hilarious.

Absolutely great work by Mack and the staff (Scout article does a great job of outlining his relationship with Mack). I'm sure it didn't hurt to bring DFW in for his visit. Really excited to see Makinde in a Xavier uniform.

huh? what's hilarious about that?

XUFan09
09-25-2013, 03:25 PM

That shouldn't be a concern. The administration has emphasized to the staff a need to go after "sure things" in the next few years, and since the Big East looks to continue their rule against "partial qualfiers" (in quotes, because technically it's not a thing anymore), the risk is too great. Before, you might have to wait a year to get the guy, but now he wouldn't be able to attend at all.

London's academics specifically look to all be in order.

GIMMFD
09-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Power. Forward. U

This class has so much potential!!!

Blue Blobs Bro
09-25-2013, 03:33 PM
my prayers have been answered.

RealDeal
09-25-2013, 03:35 PM
So do we have 1 more ship in this class or is that it? I'm too lazy to look it up.

GoMuskies
09-25-2013, 03:39 PM
So do we have 1 more ship in this class or is that it? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I think we have three available in that class assuming Semaj stays (Stenger + Philmore + currently open scholarship). So that would mean 4 available scholarships in the 2014 class.

RealDeal
09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks.

ammtd34
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
So awesome. HUGE recruit.

Milhouse
09-25-2013, 04:05 PM
And some people were worried about Mack's Recruiting. HA.

nuts4xu
09-25-2013, 04:07 PM
And some people were worried about Mack's Recruiting. HA.

Fans are fickle, but there was a time not long ago where the concerns were warranted. It is great to see Mack filling out some classes with 3 and 4 start recruits.

boozehound
09-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Fans are fickle, but there was a time not long ago where the concerns were warranted. It is great to see Mack filling out some classes with 3 and 4 start recruits.

I agree 100%. It was fair to question the recruiting for a time. Mack and company have rebounded nicely. This is a huge pickup for Xavier as far as I am concerned.

GreatWhiteNorth
09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Great news! My prayers were answered. Thank you God. We needed that.

Masterofreality
09-25-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree 100%. It was fair to question the recruiting for a time. Mack and company have rebounded nicely. This is a huge pickup for Xavier as far as I am concerned.

Please. I love ya, Booze, but every one seems to forget the coaching transition. The Desert Raccoon left us in the lurch - not just from the Head Coaching position, but all the assistants, who are chief recruiters too. Let's not even talk about committed recruits being talked to about Lexus Vs Buicks. Dez was pretty good too.

Recruiting is about building relationships over time. That is why you just can't keep having guys leave. We were able to be fortunate with JCraw, Tu and transfers to fill the gap, but to get the solid 4 star kids, you have to be in early. These are 2014 recruits we're talking about and we're all over 2015 kids now.

ballyhoohoo
09-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Please. I love ya, Booze, but every one seems to forget the coaching transition. The Desert Raccoon left us in the lurch - not just from the Head Coaching position, but all the assistants, who are chief recruiters too. Let's not even talk about committed recruits being talked to about Lexus Vs Buicks. Dez was pretty good too.

Recruiting is about building relationships over time. That is why you just can't keep having guys leave. We were able to be fortunate with JCraw, Tu and transfers to fill the gap, but to get the solid 4 star kids, you have to be in early. These are 2014 recruits we're talking about and we're all over 2015 kids now.

Amen brother. Preaching to the choir. We need to get a beer next time we're one the same area code.

bleedXblue
09-25-2013, 08:07 PM
This kid looks to have quite a bit of game and some serious potential. Great get for Mack and Co.

xavierj
09-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Makinde was a guard then grew like 8 or 9 inches in a year. I love big men with guard skills.

xudash
09-25-2013, 09:55 PM
That shouldn't be a concern. The administration has emphasized to the staff a need to go after "sure things" in the next few years, and since the Big East looks to continue their rule against "partial qualfiers" (in quotes, because technically it's not a thing anymore), the risk is too great. Before, you might have to wait a year to get the guy, but now he wouldn't be able to attend at all.

London's academics specifically look to all be in order.

If they "look" to all be in order, that isn't acceptable. Also, they must absolutely be in order, not specifically in order. This is Father Graham's fault. Please fire Father Graham.

XU-PA
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Montverde Academy in Montverde FL. about a 2 hour road trip for me,,, must get this season's schedule!

http://montverde.org/athletics/overview/

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mvasports.com_7n7svmmmq9or1v3qmftd8f8e0c @group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

gladdenguy
09-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Makinde on the floor with Jalen Reynolds is pretty awesome. And some serious athletic ability.

Semaj staying one more year would be unreal.

XU-PA
09-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Don't know if there's been video posted of this young man.

But this one will make us all happy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-rSLjK6sI

look between the interviews and production, and see a hint of some killer ball handling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3PWmu0uMQ

casualfan
09-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Makinde on the floor with Jalen Reynolds is pretty awesome. And some serious athletic ability.

Semaj staying one more year would be unreal.

IMO if Semaj stays it likely means we had a rough year this year.

As great as it would be to have him back one more year I'd much rather him have a great year and lead us back the tourney. It is needed after the disappointing year last year.

Milhouse
09-26-2013, 07:30 AM

As great as it would be to have him back one more year I'd much rather him have a great year and lead us back the tourney. It is needed after the disappointing year last year.

Not necessarily. It could mean he had a similar year to last year. I think we'd all take 15 and 5 again with a much more loaded roster. It's also going to be one of the best draft classes since 2003 (Lebron, Wade, Carmelo) so waiting a year could be a huge benefit especially at the guard position.

That said if he leaves that means he has done well and is most likely a first round pick. For Mack to have 2 first round picks in 5 years will be huge for recruiting going forward. Oh not to mention they would both go after 2 years of college which I'm sure guys want to see as well.

Also Mack has a pretty proven record of bringing talent it it just took him a few years to get his guys which is how it works...Granted we've only see Dez and Semaj.

At least 1 four star every year.

2011 - Dez
2012 - Semaj & Reynolds
2013 - Randolph
2014 - London & Macura

Just sayin he's doing well.

bleedXblue
09-26-2013, 07:33 AM

I dont necessarily agree with this. His skills are already there. He has all of the tools. If he improves his mid-long range jump shot, he will be a first rounder regardless of what X does this year

bleedXblue
09-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Not necessarily. It could mean he had a similar year to last year. I think we'd all take 15 and 5 again with a much more loaded roster. It's also going to be one of the best draft classes since 2003 (Lebron, Wade, Carmelo) so waiting a year could be a huge benefit especially at the guard position.

That said if he leaves that means he has done well and is most likely a first round pick. For Mack to have 2 first round picks in 5 years will be huge for recruiting going forward. Oh not to mention they would both go after 2 years of college which I'm sure guys want to see as well.

Also Mack has a pretty proven record of bringing talent it it just took him a few years to get his guys which is how it works...Granted we've only see Dez and Semaj.

At least 1 four star every year.

2011 - Dez
2012 - Semaj & Reynolds
2013 - Randolph
2014 - London & Macura

Just sayin he's doing well.

Who are the two 1st rounders ?

Crawford was recruited by then head coach Sean Miller

gladdenguy
09-26-2013, 07:44 AM
If the administration didn't screw him it would already have produced results on the court.

However, since the administration screwed him there was no tournament last year. Hopefully the results start paying off this year.

He has done a great job recruiting.

casualfan
09-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I dont necessarily agree with this. His skills are already there. He has all of the tools. If he improves his mid-long range jump shot, he will be a first rounder regardless of what X does this year

Right, but that wasn't my point.

My point was that if he's coming back next year it likely means he didn't have as good of a year as everyone expects and as a result the team as a whole had a rough year.

I'm talking about the effect Semaj's year will have on Xavier's year as a whole, not the effect Xavier's year as a whole will have on his draft stock.

In other words, IMO I don't think it's likely for Xavier to have a great year if Semaj doesn't play like the lottery pick he's projected to be.

On the other hand, he could play like a lottery pick and if everyone else blows we'll still have a rough year.

Milhouse
09-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Who are the two 1st rounders ?

Crawford was recruited by then head coach Sean Miller

Mack was the one that coached Crawford though. He was the one at the draft party. He also coached Chris Paul at wake. I know for a fact he brings up both when talking to recruits.

XUFan09
09-26-2013, 08:48 AM
I think PMI once said it best in that Mack got Jordan Crawford to buy into a defensive system more than any other coach before or since.

BandAid
09-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Welcome to X Makinde!

Masterofreality
09-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Mack was the one that coached Crawford though. He was the one at the draft party. He also coached Chris Paul at wake. I know for a fact he brings up both when talking to recruits.

I think PMI once said it best in that Mack got Jordan Crawford to buy into a defensive system more than any other coach before or since.

Lest no one forget that Chris Mack was not afraid to bench JCraw at the start of the most important regular season game of the year to that point- SucKS- to get him back in line.

PMI
09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the outstanding coaching of Crawford is something that went fairly overlooked during the 2010 season (Chris Mack's first.) He was clearly the best player from day one and sort of carried himself like he knew it. He didn't always bring it on the defensive end early on, and could be a little reckless on the offensive end too. After Mack benched him, I think he clearly got through to him, because you could see the difference in Crawford's effort and willingness to buy in. I remember how frustrating it was watching Crawford give quick perimeter players the baseline routinely early in the year. He just was seemingly unwilling to cut it off and lock down. He was good enough that he often made up for it with a picked pocket or some other kind of disruption after, but it was still an issue. By winning time, it was no longer an issue. Crawford was playing extremely efficiently and with his head. And yes, I have not seen him play that way since.

XUmeat
09-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Melvin who?

More Cowbell
09-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Melvin who?

Speaking of Melvin Swift, ESPN is reporting on their class rankings that XU is looking to get him to round out the 2014 class.

More Cowbell
09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
To clarify, this is more an example of ESPN's poor recruiting coverage than actual XU targets.

Milhouse
09-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Really hoping to get O'Mara the more I read about him the more I want him.

Juice
09-27-2013, 10:05 AM

But he is also considering Loyola?! And XU is above that!

Masterofreality
09-27-2013, 10:51 AM

I guess it depends on what O'Mara wants to do after basketball. If he wants to be a doctor, Loyola is the place to go. XU has no good medical school option.

Yeah, some kids still worry about school and academics for real.

Masterofreality
09-27-2013, 11:01 AM
By the way, O'Mara is still playing high school football.

Seems like a big risk to me, but so be it.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77564383/

Milhouse
09-27-2013, 11:14 AM

It's a very weird recruitment.

GoMuskies
09-27-2013, 11:28 AM
If he wants to be a doctor, Loyola is the place to go. XU has no good medical school option.

Bite your tongue! Xavier is an excellent pre-med option. Well, at least according to my roommates who went on to med school.

And I suppose some guys do it, but I cannot imagine trying to be a scholarship basketball player while taking organic chemistry and vertebrate physiology.

Xavier
09-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Lest no one forget that Chris Mack was not afraid to bench JCraw at the start of the most important regular season game of the year to that point- SucKS- to get him back in line.

Didn't Mack try and sit Lyons, too? I remember at least one game he tried to and X got off to a bad start....Lyons was back in before the first TV timeout.

blueblob06
09-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Bite your tongue! Xavier is an excellent pre-med option. Well, at least according to my roommates who went on to med school.

And I suppose some guys do it, but I cannot imagine trying to be a scholarship basketball player while taking organic chemistry and vertebrate physiology.
That would be rough to play D1 hoops and take pre-med classes.

Xavier's pre-med program is good. I had 5 or 6 friends who took Pre-Med at XU. All got into Med School after and all are doctors now.

GreatWhiteNorth
09-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I was in the pre-med program. Its tough because you have to study a lot to get good grades (if you want to get into medical or dental school) and you have to spend many hours in the lab., even in weekends.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-27-2013, 04:53 PM

I believe Andrew Luck was a solid QB at Stanford and graduated in Architecture. It's not pre-med but it has to be pretty close in difficulty.

LA Muskie
09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
That would be rough to play D1 hoops and take pre-med classes.

Xavier's pre-med program is good. I had 5 or 6 friends who took Pre-Med at XU. All got into Med School after and all are doctors now.
Our Pre-Med program is one of our most successful programs. I forget the numbers, but our placement numbers have us ranked in the midwest. I would guess that we are one of the best (if not the best) midwest schools without a medical school at placing pre-med students.

Masterofreality
09-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Our Pre-Med program is one of our most successful programs. I forget the numbers, but our placement numbers have us ranked in the midwest. I would guess that we are one of the best (if not the best) midwest schools without a medical school at placing pre-med students.

Well, there you have it Sir O'Mara!

Come to Xavier....come to Xavier!

double00
09-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Xavier has a great pre med program. Just ask James Baronas.

94GRAD
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Xavier has a great pre med program. Just ask James Baronas.

Or Dr. Mark "Three" Poynter

XU-PA
10-06-2013, 07:03 AM
And boom goes the dynamite!

For those youngsters who haven't had the sheer delight yet,,,,,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

interesting that this has received enough fame to achieve a WIKI listing

XU3232
01-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Makinde's high school team plays at 4pm today on ESPN... Just an FYI for anyone interested.

Masterofreality
01-11-2014, 12:34 PM
The "Mothership" network. Main ESPN. 4pm Saturday. Monteverde vs Oak Ridge

gladdenguy
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Nice. Thanks MOR. Just set the DVR.

ballyhoohoo
01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
So this way we won't know if he can jump off of one foot.

waggy
01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Am I allowed to watch ESPN?

Masterofreality
01-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Just nailed consecutive 3's. What a pretty shot!

6:9 and needs some weight, but looks smooth as hell.

xu82
01-11-2014, 03:35 PM
In a bar with no sound. Roster says he's #21 but haven't seen him on the floor. Did he pick up some fouls? What a crazy roster full of D1 kids!!!

xu82
01-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Wow! There he is - nice stroke!

Masterofreality
01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
First half- 9 points..3 of 5 from Trey-Land.

Look at him now and wait until he gets in the XU weight room.

xavierj
01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Guy is kind of long. I think he has a future. He will be a nice pick and pop guy. He will create some matchup problems. Has a ton of room to fill out.

gladdenguy
01-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Montverde is ridiculous. There is a reason they are ranked #1 in the country.

Masterofreality
01-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Can tell right now, though, he's gonna have to learn how to rebound better and get some low post stuff.

Understnad that he had a growth spurt and he still plays a lot like a guard, so he's still growing into his body.

gladdenguy
01-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Makinde with a sick around the back dribble and bucket on a break. Very athletic kid.

Xtemporaneous
01-11-2014, 04:27 PM
He's going to be incredible as a player. Saw him play with O'Mara when West came to visit and he dunked on David. Just a little behind the back layup...

XUFan09
01-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Makinde with a sick around the back dribble and bucket on a break. Very athletic kid.

Even crazier, it wasn't a dribble. Ball didn't hit the ground.

Musketeer_15
01-11-2014, 04:37 PM
I turned it on too late, anyone know his final stats? I heard one of the commentators say London impressed him the most.

xu82
01-11-2014, 04:38 PM

The vision and full court pass right before that was nice, the ensuing steal was very nice, but the behind the back between defenders was crazy! Shocking even. Like others, I hope he can hit the weights and get tough and scrappy inside too, because with his size and skills the full package could be amazing! Loving this year, but can't help but look forward to how exciting this could get.

BBC 08
01-11-2014, 04:39 PM
I think he finished with 15 pts. Not sure on assists.

xu82
01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
That was a pretty darn good college team playing a good high school team.

xu82
01-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I think it was 13 points with several guard-like assists. Easily could have had more points but willing to share, which is a great thing.

Masterofreality
01-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Hard to believe that we are talking about this already, but he shapes up to be a Jimmy Farr understudy next year and replacement after JF graduates in two.

Stretch 4.

bobbiemcgee
01-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I do love this recruiting class. Naysayers slam dunked by Mack and the boys.

UnCaged
01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
From all I've read, I always thought Makinde and O'Mara (the C in the Friends Five) were the lesser recruits...but the past month has changed that thinking incredibly. This. Class. Is. S.I.C.K. Loving 2014....but damn the future is sweet.

xu82
01-12-2014, 07:54 AM
From all I've read, I always thought Makinde and O'Mara (the C in the Friends Five) were the lesser recruits...but the past month has changed that thinking incredibly. This. Class. Is. S.I.C.K. Loving 2014....but damn the future is sweet.

Don't forget Remy... Should it be the Sick Six? Probably not...

ammtd34
01-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Here's (http://instagram.com/p/jFmNs8GPQh/) the London steal > behind the back.

sirthought
01-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the video. Really nice play.

xu82
01-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Here's (http://instagram.com/p/jFmNs8GPQh/) the London steal > behind the back.

Thanks, I needed to see that again to know it was real. I hope he can bang underneath to make him the complete package. Hit the weight room and keep the skills and who knows what the limit is?

mistabeecee41
02-03-2014, 02:34 PM
dear god. this out dez's any of the dez' high school highlight videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOiFg6ukIo0&feature=youtu.be

X-man
02-03-2014, 02:58 PM
ESPN has dropped the rank of next year's recruiting class from #6 to #17. I wonder why, given how well our recruits appear to be playing.

XU3232
02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
ESPN has dropped the rank of next year's recruiting class from #6 to #17. I wonder why, given how well our recruits appear to be playing.

Probably because it is ESPN and we are in the Big East now.

DoubleD86
02-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Probably because it is ESPN and we are in the Big East now.

Much more likely (read: it is) because top prospects have committed to other schools and those schools have thus risen in the rankings. Xavier will drop in Scout, Rivals and ESPN rankings because they had all of their commits early and got a high ranking due to that. As the rest of the top 50-75-100 commit other schools will rise.

The_Mack_Pack
02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Much more likely (read: it is) because top prospects have committed to other schools and those schools have thus risen in the rankings. Xavier will drop in Scout, Rivals and ESPN rankings because they had all of their commits early and got a high ranking due to that. As the rest of the top 50-75-100 commit other schools will rise.

That accounts for a little of it. There were actually very few top 100 players left unsigned and most of them were being recruited by big name schools already ahead or slightly behind our recruiting class ranking. What happened is ESPN reshuffled their individual player rankings and pretty much all of our recruits were dropped in the rankings despite having great senior seasons. So the new player rankings drop dropped our overall class down.

DoubleD86
02-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I wish I could look up the ranking pre-reshuffling but I am pretty sure the grades and rankings of our recruits have changed very little. I don't know why people are convinced that recruiting services drop Xavier recruits once they commit. Blueitt is #45 and Sumner is #78, both very similar to where they were. In fact, if I am not mistaken Sumner wasn't even top 100 in ESPN when he committed to Xavier and I know for a fact in June of last year he was #88 on the list.

XUFan09
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
I wish I could look up the ranking pre-reshuffling but I am pretty sure the grades and rankings of our recruits have changed very little. I don't know why people are convinced that recruiting services drop Xavier recruits once they commit. Blueitt is #45 and Sumner is #78, both very similar to where they were. In fact, if I am not mistaken Sumner wasn't even top 100 in ESPN when he committed to Xavier and I know for a fact in June of last year he was #88 on the list.

Yup. Macura is where he was before too, just outside the top 100. O'Mara hasn't really changed in position. I don't think London has really changed either; he's ranked lower by ESPN than by Scout and Rivals (who both have him in the top 100), but that hasn't really changed.

throwbackmuskie
02-11-2014, 07:38 AM
ESPN, Rivals and Scout are all very political when it comes to how they rank players. 247Sports sells themselves as not doing it this way, but have been called out a few times for doing this as well.

DoubleD86
02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
ESPN, Rivals and Scout are all very political when it comes to how they rank players. 247Sports sells themselves as not doing it this way, but have been called out a few times for doing this as well.

- Signed, fans of every program but 8.

This is a made up argument against ranking services used by every program in the country, save maybe 8 programs, as why their commits fall. Even if they don't actually fall, the argument is still made. These same fans also love to point out that "Prospect X is clearly top TBD in the country" regardless of the fact that they follow roughly 12 prospects each year and want to argue against people who spend, literally, years watching these same kids.

throwbackmuskie
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
- Signed, fans of every program but 8.

This is a made up argument against ranking services used by every program in the country, save maybe 8 programs, as why their commits fall. Even if they don't actually fall, the argument is still made. These same fans also love to point out that "Prospect X is clearly top TBD in the country" regardless of the fact that they follow roughly 12 prospects each year and want to argue against people who spend, literally, years watching these same kids.

Wrong, there was a WR this year who was a 4* by every service had great all star games, did nothing to drop is ranking and was dropped from a high 4* to a 3*. Yes I know I used a FB player, but it does in fact happen.

Personally offer sheets are more telling than stars. But ESPN and scout are the two I tend to stay away from when it comes to rankings. There was an article not to long ago showing 247 and rivals had the "best" rankings as in the players performed to those measures so to speak.

DoubleD86
02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Wrong, there was a WR this year who was a 4* by every service had great all star games, did nothing to drop is ranking and was dropped from a high 4* to a 3*. Yes I know I used a FB player, but it does in fact happen.

Personally offer sheets are more telling than stars. But ESPN and scout are the two I tend to stay away from when it comes to rankings. There was an article not to long ago showing 247 and rivals had the "best" rankings as in the players performed to those measures so to speak.

You use one, yes ONE, unnamed player with absolutely no context clues except for your claim that he "did nothing to drop his ranking" to prove your point? It is a made up argument that can't be proven wrong because it is a subjective ranking and you never hear full reasons for why every single player is ranked where they are.

Maybe, in the case of this football player, other players just showed to be better? He did nothing to change his stock, but others rose which means he has to fall. It is something that happens. Maybe, even though his numbers looked good something was noticed by a scout that led them to believe the talent wouldn't translate as well? Maybe they heard through sources something off the field that could be an issue? Maybe they thought they ranked him too high early and while his talent level and "stock" didn't change, they were correcting what could have been a mistake.

One prospect, from one rankings change, with no context is not a counter point. Especially when you have left all detail and ability to verify your claim out. In fact, you could have just as easily made up this whole scenario to "prove your point."

I agree that I look at offer sheets as much as stars in a lot of ways, but I like to use both and the actual scouting report on the kid. Either way, the idea that certain scouting services dislike certain schools or punishes a kid for choosing a certain school is ridiculous and false. Hell, one of the main rankers of the Scout Top Prospects lists is a guy who is close to the Xavier program. Why would choosing a Xavier hurt a prospect in his eyes.

Lastly, different sites are better at different sports. Scout is, IMO, the best at CBB but struggles strongly at CFB. Conversely, Rivals' CFB coverage is outstanding but their CBB side has been ravaged by other sites signing their big names.

throwbackmuskie
02-12-2014, 12:23 PM
You use one, yes ONE, unnamed player with absolutely no context clues except for your claim that he "did nothing to drop his ranking" to prove your point? It is a made up argument that can't be proven wrong because it is a subjective ranking and you never hear full reasons for why every single player is ranked where they are.

Maybe, in the case of this football player, other players just showed to be better? He did nothing to change his stock, but others rose which means he has to fall. It is something that happens. Maybe, even though his numbers looked good something was noticed by a scout that led them to believe the talent wouldn't translate as well? Maybe they heard through sources something off the field that could be an issue? Maybe they thought they ranked him too high early and while his talent level and "stock" didn't change, they were correcting what could have been a mistake.

One prospect, from one rankings change, with no context is not a counter point. Especially when you have left all detail and ability to verify your claim out. In fact, you could have just as easily made up this whole scenario to "prove your point."

I agree that I look at offer sheets as much as stars in a lot of ways, but I like to use both and the actual scouting report on the kid. Either way, the idea that certain scouting services dislike certain schools or punishes a kid for choosing a certain school is ridiculous and false. Hell, one of the main rankers of the Scout Top Prospects lists is a guy who is close to the Xavier program. Why would choosing a Xavier hurt a prospect in his eyes.

Lastly, different sites are better at different sports. Scout is, IMO, the best at CBB but struggles strongly at CFB. Conversely, Rivals' CFB coverage is outstanding but their CBB side has been ravaged by other sites signing their big names.

So I take it you work for Scout?

Shaq Davidson. WR is the example I used because it came to mind first. Was a 4* all season long, even with injuries. Played in the Shrine Bowl, made the game winning catch, was hurt in practice. Still played in the AA game, though he was hurt, now mind you he was hurt most of the season and his ranking never changed. The lowered him after the all star games becasue he was hurt, yet still played and made catches. the kid had offers from all the big boys, Bama, osu, you name it. Still did enough in the all star game then is dropped?

There have been many cases of players being rated low then a big program offers and all of sudden his ranking is jumped up, even though on the field they are the same player they were when they were rated.

The job of these services it to make money. The bigger the fanbase the deeper the pockets.

GoMuskies
02-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Shaq Davidson signed with South Carolina. Why would that cause him to drop? I assumed that when I Googled this kid it would turn out that he signed with UAB or something.

You're telling me you think committing to or signing with South Carolina causes a football player's rating to drop?!? I'm telling you that you're nuts.

throwbackmuskie
02-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Shaq Davidson signed with South Carolina. Why would that cause him to drop? I assumed that when I Googled this kid it would turn out that he signed with UAB or something.

You're telling me you think committing to or signing with South Carolina causes a football player's rating to drop?!? I'm telling you that you're nuts.

He was commited to SC at the begininng of the year. He was a player who recently dropped in the rating. I follow recruiting a lot, I do believe there is a large bias with services. Another example, going the other way, SC signed a QB this year who was rated a 2*, he committed to UAB. Right after he switched to SC he jumps up in rankings to a 3*? So because an SEC team offers him all of a sudden he gets a bump in the rankings?

GoMuskies
02-12-2014, 12:48 PM
They probably had not bothered to evaluate him before he switched to the Cocks.

throwbackmuskie
02-12-2014, 12:49 PM

He was evaluated. How about Shaquille Jones, was commited to Louisville, three star. Three days before signing day he flips to UGA, then is given a 4th star?

GoMuskies
02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't think Jones was even in the database before he turned up at Louisville for a visit.

throwbackmuskie
02-12-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't think Jones was even in the database before he turned up at Louisville for a visit.

He was a rated three *.

When the big boys start to get players who the small schools were after the suddenly get a bump in the rating, why because now all of a sudden the big boys are after the kid?

GoMuskies
02-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I generally am on Scout for college football, and Jones was a two star (probably not evaluated) guy when he showed up on Louisville's radar. He quickly got bumped to three when he visited Louisville. I didn't know he ever jumped to four.

throwbackmuskie
02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
I generally am on Scout for college football, and Jones was a two star (probably not evaluated) guy when he showed up on Louisville's radar. He quickly got bumped to three when he visited Louisville. I didn't know he ever jumped to four.

Sorry I meant 2* to 3*. Look at his 247 profile, in the rating history, they have him at mid 70s till he jumps to UGA, then goes to a 87...

Blake McClain, decommits from FSU then his rating dropped on 247.

throwbackmuskie
02-12-2014, 01:57 PM
To get back to the original point, yes other schools added recruits so our class rank dropping isn't a big shock.

I will add this, the rating jumps happen a lot more with football, that is where the politics are the strongest.

XUFan09
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM

Scout's default is two-star if a player has not been evaluated by national guys. They don't have a one star rating available for some reason.

DoubleD86
02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
He was commited to SC at the begininng of the year. He was a player who recently dropped in the rating. I follow recruiting a lot, I do believe there is a large bias with services. Another example, going the other way, SC signed a QB this year who was rated a 2*, he committed to UAB. Right after he switched to SC he jumps up in rankings to a 3*? So because an SEC team offers him all of a sudden he gets a bump in the rankings?

So your argument is this QB signed for South Carolina and got bumped from a 2* to a 3*, but your WR signed with South Carolina and got bumped from a 4* to a 3*, so clearly the scouting services are biased? Bold strategy Cotton...

I also love the fact that because I don't believe a conspiracy theory, I must work for Scout.

Then, after pages of arguing with people that Xavier's class is being hurt because they committed to Xavier, you finish with saying it isn't a shock Xavier's class dropped and your complaint is geared more towards football than basketball? Keep up the good fight.

ballyhoohoo
02-13-2014, 02:17 PM

Don't we already have a Michael Sams thread? Too soon?

throwbackmuskie
02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
So your argument is this QB signed for South Carolina and got bumped from a 2* to a 3*, but your WR signed with South Carolina and got bumped from a 4* to a 3*, so clearly the scouting services are biased? Bold strategy Cotton...

I also love the fact that because I don't believe a conspiracy theory, I must work for Scout.

Then, after pages of arguing with people that Xavier's class is being hurt because they committed to Xavier, you finish with saying it isn't a shock Xavier's class dropped and your complaint is geared more towards football than basketball? Keep up the good fight.

I never once said Xavier class dipped because of a bias against Xavier. I said the services to have a bias toward some schools.

ballyhoohoo
04-03-2014, 05:20 PM
He's in ESPN U now. #11 for Monteverde

The_Mack_Pack
04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
His three point stroke is excellent for a big guy. He'll definitely need to work on some post moves though.

xu82
04-03-2014, 09:59 PM
His three point stroke is excellent for a big guy. He'll definitely need to work on some post moves though.

I didn't see the game today but I saw him earlier in the year. Nice stroke and a crazy behind the back dribble in traffic for a big guy on a fast break. CRAZY! He probably does need post moves, but it looks like some serious time in the weight room is a high priority or he's going to get bounced around inside. Grow that fast and it's hard for the body to keep up. But the potential is just silly!

BMoreX
04-04-2014, 03:04 PM
@MarioMercurio: Today, ESPN2 at 4:30 - @makinde_london and @MVABasketball in the Semifinals of the @DICKSNationals. Good luck Makinde! X nation tune in!

KC4X
04-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Makinde and team are on ESPN right now.

xu82
04-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Makinde and team are on ESPN right now.

Just turned on in time for second half. The roster has him as #21. He doesn't start? Has he played?

94GRAD
04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Just turned on in time for second half. The roster has him as #21. He doesn't start? Has he played?

He doesn't start and I believe he's #11

Cheesehead
04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
He was #11 and X needs to get him in the weight room stat

XU3232
04-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Makinde has a TON of potential but he definitely has work to do. Didn't really do much today.. Seemed to be standing around an awful lot on both ends of the court... Would have liked to seen him be more aggressive.

UnCaged
04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah, he's reallllly long and has a quick shot...but he was VERY off on his shots (I think like 0-6 from 3) and didn't seem to have much energy. The announcers talked up his peformance in the prior game, but he may need some time to build an athletic base as he doesn't seem like he's a real 4 but more of an extremely tall 2 who is a Lloyd Price level shooter.

***Please don't take that as a "ripping" of the young man. I saw one game of his, and he looked a bit flat (3rd game in 4 days) but the guy going to LSU, #22 I believe, was otherworldly in how good he was...which made everyone on the court look a little less impressive. The OSU recruit shoots alot and was smooth, should be a contributor early. Makinde has skills that are crazy for a guy that is that tall, but he may need a bit to develop into that body. But with this team and the depth at the 3-4, I am hoping he'll get that**

ammtd34
04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Yeah, he's reallllly long and has a quick shot...but he was VERY off on his shots (I think like 0-6 from 3) and didn't seem to have much energy. The announcers talked up his peformance in the prior game, but he may need some time to build an athletic base as he doesn't seem like he's a real 4 but more of an extremely tall 2 who is a Lloyd Price level shooter.

***Please don't take that as a "ripping" of the young man. I saw one game of his, and he looked a bit flat (3rd game in 4 days) but the guy going to LSU, #22 I believe, was otherworldly in how good he was...which made everyone on the court look a little less impressive. The OSU recruit shoots alot and was smooth, should be a contributor early. Makinde has skills that are crazy for a guy that is that tall, but he may need a bit to develop into that body. But with this team and the depth at the 3-4, I am hoping he'll get that**

The LSU guy is a top 5 recruit. London was 3-6 from 3 in the quarterfinal.

The_Mack_Pack
04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
In the games I saw he did do a lot of hanging around on the perimeter but when he was aggressive he showed off some impressive ball handling and scoring abilities. His long arms could make him and Reynolds a very good rim-protecting duo in a couple of years as well. He played with and against a lot of high level talent too which can only help his maturation into the college game. He obviously needs to pack on some muscle but he'll be one heck of a stretch 4 as long as he keeps working hard.

To go along with that, here's a nice article with quotes from Makinde about his season at Montverde and how the experience will help at Xavier:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/preps/2014/04/05/summit-transfer-makinde-london-montverde-academy-national-champ/7356401/

mistabeecee41
04-07-2014, 03:03 PM
In the games I saw he did do a lot of hanging around on the perimeter but when he was aggressive he showed off some impressive ball handling and scoring abilities. His long arms could make him and Reynolds a very good rim-protecting duo in a couple of years as well. He played with and against a lot of high level talent too which can only help his maturation into the college game. He obviously needs to pack on some muscle but he'll be one heck of a stretch 4 as long as he keeps working hard.

To go along with that, here's a nice article with quotes from Makinde about his season at Montverde and how the experience will help at Xavier:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/preps/2014/04/05/summit-transfer-makinde-london-montverde-academy-national-champ/7356401/

Agreed. There was chatter on the other board about him seeming to "go through the motions" and not being aggressive enough. I think people need to understand that his team is absolutely STACKED. He's not going to put up Trevon Blueitt kind of numbers in that situation - nobody will. Semaj averaged like 13 and 7 at Brewster and Jalen didn't even start. He'll be fine. It might take him a bit longer because he's not as physically ready as those guys, but I wouldn't be concerned about a few subpar performances.

XUFan09
04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Yeah, it's simply not his job to be aggressive on that team. Spending a lot of time floating around the perimeter is actually good for the team as a whole, as he pulls a big away from the middle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk