PDA

View Full Version : Creighton has sold 15,000 season tickets

Muskie
09-19-2013, 09:44 AM
That's a huge number. Could be a special season for them I suppose?

casualfan
09-19-2013, 09:51 AM
That's a huge number. Could be a special season for them I suppose?

They always sell a ton of season tickets. I don't know the exact numbers of season tix sold historically, but they are routinely in the top 15 or so for attendance each year. (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf)

RealDeal
09-19-2013, 09:53 AM
I think fan support is the reason Creighton got in the BE over dayton.

GoMuskies
09-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I'd imagine they will sell out the season or close to it this year. They've got a great team coming back, and the Big East home schedule is obviously going to be much more appealing than Indiana State, Evansville, Illinois State, Drake and the like.

nuts4xu
09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
How big is that place they play in? They have averaged some big numbers the past few years.

I never want to hear a dayton fan talk about their great fan base ever again. They don't hold a candle to the BlueJays.

Masterofreality
09-19-2013, 10:11 AM

No, they're just better at basketball.

How big is that place they play in? They have averaged some big numbers the past few years.
I never want to hear a dayton fan talk about their great fan base ever again. They don't hold a candle to the BlueJays.

The building holds 18,000. Creighton is a great addition to the BE.

Milhouse
09-19-2013, 10:15 AM
They're also the only game in town at that point. Though Nebraska does seem to try and be building something with their BBall program.

paulxu
09-19-2013, 10:21 AM

Heh.

ChicagoX
09-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Actually, I think it was St. Louis that Creighton beat out for the 10th spot in the Big East. I don't think dayton was ever in consideration for the top 10. I'm sure fan support played a role, but the fact that CU's president was more savvy than SLU's during the BE shuffle and the fact that he was well-connected to Marquette also helped Creighton's cause.

X-band '01
09-19-2013, 10:58 AM
No, they're just better at basketball.

The building holds 18,000. Creighton is a great addition to the BE.

The other good thing about Creighton's departure from the Valley is being able to see both games on Fox Sports 1; it seemed like every time X went on the road to Omaha there were always blackouts in the Cincy market.

gladdenguy
09-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Well played

toledodan
09-20-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd imagine they will sell out the season or close to it this year. They've got a great team coming back, and the Big East home schedule is obviously going to be much more appealing than Indiana State, Evansville, Illinois State, Drake and the like.

you making the trip up there in january?

GoMuskies
09-20-2013, 09:06 AM

Certainly planning to at this point. I drove up from Wichita for the College World Series in June. Not a bad drive, and it seems like a nice city. It's obviously an even easier drive from KC.

Cheesehead
09-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Holy crap, that's huge. Good for them. Their enrollment is slightly larger than X (approx 7,300) and they have some professional schools (law, dentistry, medicine, occupational therapy, pharmacy & physical therapy). It's a bigger school than X physically as well.

I should tell you that my oldest brother graduated from there. This is how I know this stuff.

muskiefan82
09-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Tickets to see the show must only be included in the season ticket package. Good move.

xubrew
09-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Actually, I think it was St. Louis that Creighton beat out for the 10th spot in the Big East. I don't think dayton was ever in consideration for the top 10. I'm sure fan support played a role, but the fact that CU's president was more savvy than SLU's during the BE shuffle and the fact that he was well-connected to Marquette also helped Creighton's cause.

Creighton's president is on Marquette's board of trustees, so yes, I think that falls under the category of being "well connected at Marquette." That's why they got in. Their attendance doesn't hurt, but even if it was less than half of what it is, Creighton still would have been the choice.

LA Muskie
09-21-2013, 01:05 AM
I don't think Fox Sports cared all that much who was on the Marquette board. It might have bought an ally, but not enough to be determinative.

xubrew
09-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't think Fox Sports cared all that much who was on the Marquette board. It might have bought an ally, but not enough to be determinative.

In this case I don't think it mattered what Fox Sports wanted or cared about.

LA Muskie
09-21-2013, 05:58 PM
In this case I don't think it mattered what Fox Sports wanted or cared about.

Having talked to someone at Fox Sports who has been involved with the new Big East since (before) the beginning, I don't think there is a single thing they didn't care about.

RoadWarrior
09-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Fox Sports' opinion matters just as much as the BE presidents. Money makes the world 'round...especially in collegiate athletics!

xubrew
09-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Fox Sports' opinion matters just as much as the BE presidents. Money makes the world 'round...especially in collegiate athletics!

Fox Sports does not have a vote. They may have influence, but they have no actual say and I think you're greatly overestimating how heavy their influence actually is. Creighton was getting in regardless of what Fox Sports thought about it. The deal isn't really any more lucrative with Creighton than it would have been with someone else, or for that matter no one else.

Fox already had a deal with Creighton, so adding them was pretty much just a push. It makes sense to think that if they wanted anyone, it was someone they didn't already have.

Creighton got in because their president is on Marquette's board of trustees, and he wanted in. That's pretty much it. I'm not really out on a limb here. What I'm saying is kind of like saying it's dark at midnight. Of course it is

LA Muskie
09-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Fox Sports does not have a vote. They may have influence, but they have no actual say and I think you're greatly overestimating how heavy their influence actually is. Creighton was getting in regardless of what Fox Sports thought about it. The deal isn't really any more lucrative with Creighton than it would have been with someone else, or for that matter no one else.

Fox already had a deal with Creighton, so adding them was pretty much just a push. It makes sense to think that if they wanted anyone, it was someone they didn't already have.

Creighton got in because their president is on Marquette's board of trustees, and he wanted in. That's pretty much it. I'm not really out on a limb here. What I'm saying is kind of like saying it's dark at midnight. Of course it is

I think you are vastly underestimating the influence of Fox Sports. For example, they led the commissioner search and are essentially paying her salary.

I was literally shocked at what I heard. Granted the person I was speaking with had a vested interest, but as far as he was concerned Fox created/brokered the new Big East. And frankly I believe him.

xudash
09-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I think you are vastly underestimating the influence of Fox Sports. For example, they led the commissioner search and are essentially paying her salary.

I was literally shocked at what I heard. Granted the person I was speaking with had a vested interest, but as far as he was concerned Fox created/brokered the new Big East. And frankly I believe him.

Agree completely. For about five hundred million reasons.

They're paying for the rights to the product. It's a "new" product. And they did help to engineer the ultimate hoops breakaway from the hybrid Big East.

It almost stands to reason that the C7 Presidents were looking for direction from Fox on media and conference composition matters and that Fox believed it had every right to influence that direction strongly. Did they have a vote, technically speaking? No, they're not OF the conference. But they weighed-in heavily and helped to guide the outcome. They'll weigh-in very heavily again, probably more so than originally, as numbers 11 and 12 are ultimately identified. Their input will be both welcome and needed.

xubrew
09-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Hmmmmm. Perhaps you're right. I still don't think they had much to do with Creighton specifically (if anything), but I do admit that their influence is much larger than what I thought about 72 hours ago.

toledodan
09-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Certainly planning to at this point. I drove up from Wichita for the College World Series in June. Not a bad drive, and it seems like a nice city. It's obviously an even easier drive from KC.

the kansas city alumni group will prob be doing a bus for the game.

xu95
09-26-2013, 10:50 PM

I'll be there.