PDA

View Full Version : Best Sports year of your life?

D-West & PO-Z
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
This year has the potential to turn out as the best sports year of my life. Giants win the superbowl, XU is having the best regular season in their history and have the potential to have the deepest tourney run they have ever had, and the Mets get the one thing they have been missing for the last two years, an ACE pitcher in Johan Santana.

I'm curious what year has been the best sports year of your life? I know mine so far has been the year year 2000 when the Giants, Knicks, and Mets all went to their respective Championships, however all lost so it was bittersweet. I know my dads favorite year would be 1986 when the Giants won the Superbowl and the Mets won the World Series.

Whats yours?

joebba
03-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, last year was pretty good. The Colts won the Super Bowl. I grew up in Cincy and move to Indy in Septemebr of 1998, which was Peyton Manning's first year. Because of the company I work for, I was able to participate in the celebration parade. I was one of four flag carriers that led out the float carrying Tony Dungy, Bill Polian and Jim Irsay. I got to walk around the inside of the RCA dome. It was an awesome experience. I was only a few feet from the Lombardi trophy.

Also, I won two March Madness Polls: One with my close friends, and one I completed for a co-worker of mine becuase she wantd someon who knows something about basket ball to fill out the brackets. The best of my sheets mised only one or two slots from the SS forward. I was in fire with my picks last year.

BTW. I was pulling for the Giants this year, mostly becuase I dislike the Patriots. Ha! It looks like they might not hold onto Moss!

xuirish
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Got Engaged in 04 and the Red Sox won the World Series
Got Married in 07 and The Red Sox won the World Series.

joebba
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Got Engaged in 04 and the Red Sox won the World Series
Got Married in 07 and The Red Sox won the World Series.

I guess you need to become a father for the Red Sox to win the series again.

BiggieXU
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
'02-03 - Buckeyes Nat'l Championship, Browns made the playoffs, D. West senior season (even though those last two ended badly, that's as good as I got) I did nearly get an ulcer all football season that year with all the close games the Browns and Bucks played. Although, The Run season year by itself is about on par with that year.

This year could be better with Xavier and because Chris Mortensen said on ESPN that the Browns were poised for a Super Bowl run with their free agents signings, which means we will go 6-10 or something. I'm optimistic it will all end badly.

xuirish
03-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I guess you need to become a father for the Red Sox to win the series again.

No need to get ahead of ourselves.

joebba
03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, last year was pretty good. The Colts won the Super Bowl. I grew up in Cincy and move to Indy in Septemebr of 1998, which was Peyton Manning's first year. Because of the company I work for, I was able to participate in the celebration parade. I was one of four flag carriers that led out the float carrying Tony Dungy, Bill Polian and Jim Irsay. I got to walk around the inside of the RCA dome. It was an awesome experience. I was only a few feet from the Lombardi trophy.

Also, I won two March Madness Polls: One with my close friends, and one I completed for a co-worker of mine becuase she wantd someon who knows something about basket ball to fill out the brackets. The best of my sheets mised only one or two slots from the SS forward. I was in fire with my picks last year.

BTW. I was pulling for the Giants this year, mostly becuase I dislike the Patriots. Ha! It looks like they might not hold onto Moss!

I could add to 2007 that OSU got its but kicked in Football and Basketball by Florida. This was amusing to me becuase of the overconfident OSU (a have a brother who is one of them) fans. I also have a brother who is graduated with an LLM (post doctoral tax law degree from Florida). My brother from OSU could not graciously admit OSU got their buts kicked and can only come up with excuse after excuse. My brother who went to FL just lets the action on the field do the talking.

THRILLHOUSE
03-02-2008, 10:02 PM
1990: Reds win the World Series, XU makes the Sweet 16, the Bengals go to the playoffs

PM Thor
03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
1990: Reds win the World Series, XU makes the Sweet 16, the Bengals go to the playoffs

Damn straight.

X beats K State (wow similarities!), Georgetown, and loses to Texas in the Tourney. I worked down at Riverfront, saw every home game in the wire to wire year....what a year! From sport to sport, I haven't seen a better year than that one.

DC Muskie
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Best year in my life?

Man, 1989? I had about 14 girlfriends that year. I still cared about the Cavs, the Browns weren't that bad, Xavier had a good year, and Major League came out.

FoundingFather
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
this current xavier season is turning things around for me, after coming off maybe the worst 9 month stretch ever considering....

Xavier losing to Ohio State
Orioles complete embarrasment of a season, including the 30-3 game
Ravens go 4-12 and the debacle against the Patriots
Notre Dame.

enough said. however Xavier has made me happier about sports this year than I have ever been!!

gladdenguy
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm with Thor and Thrillhouse. I would have to say 1990 would have been my favorite year. Although I was only 10, its tough to remember that.
Ever since then, I have 2 postseason births in baseball and football so I can honestly say Xavier, and yes Elder, have been the only 2 things that have caused me to tread the water and not drown in sports depression.