PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Swift and X part ways

THRILLHOUSE
08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
"@BSnowScout: Per sources Xavier and Melvin Swift have parted ways, no longer to be considered a commitment."

On August 12th Melvin tweeted that he was officially committed to X. Guess not. He does have a kid on the way so I wonder if that has something to do with the decision.

GoMuskies
08-20-2013, 01:00 PM
I guess it's hard to be surprised. Something has seemed kind of weird with Swift's commitment for a while. This sucks, though.

Granted, the way this is all worded makes it sound like the decision is either coming from Xavier or is mutual (whatever that might mean).

BMoreX
08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I kind of expected this for a while now.

mistabeecee41
08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
I kind of expected this for a while now.

Agreed. Bet he winds up at a Texas school. Teenagers with children on the way and moving cross country doesn't seem like a good idea.

THRILLHOUSE
08-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Granted, the way this is all worded makes it sound like the decision is either coming from Xavier or is mutual (whatever that might mean).

Hmm, maybe it is coming from X:

"@ThatBoySwift: I don't know what's going on about me being uncommitted from Xavier's and I'm trying to find out just like y'all trying to find out"

Chalmers0
08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Agreed. Bet he winds up at a Texas school. Teenagers with children on the way and moving cross country doesn't seem like a good idea.

I obviously don't have any insider info or anything but I kind of got the feeling that this was going to happen even before the having a kid thing sprung up. Don't think the current staff was as high on him as Ashley Howard was...

GoMuskies
08-20-2013, 01:15 PM

"@ThatBoySwift: I don't know what's going on about me being uncommitted from Xavier's and I'm trying to find out just like y'all trying to find out"

If it wasn't his decision, and he found out that he was "uncommited" from Xavier any way other than a conversation with Coach Mack, that's pretty fucked up.

Not to say that's what I believe happened, of course.

Kahns Krazy
08-20-2013, 01:18 PM

How many Xaviers did he commit to? Maybe that is the problem...

mistabeecee41
08-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Melvin is now tweeting that they "had to drop his scholarship".

RealDeal
08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah, that's pretty messed up.

THRILLHOUSE
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
From Brian Snow's article*:

"Sources with direct knowledge of the situation indicate that Swift and Xavier spoke and came to the conclusion that he would look elsewhere for his future school."

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1317838.html

*free article, don't need a Scout subscription to view

paulxu
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Something was lost in the translation:

Melvin Swift ‏@ThatBoySwift 6m
@bendemelbows15 because they said that I wasn't ready for Xavier's basketball and school but I'm always ready and never scared of anything

bobbiemcgee
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
smh. Remember when summers were nice and quiet?

GreatWhiteNorth
08-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Nothing surprises me these days. No deal is final until it is final. Swift's rating has been dropping and there are many better candidates available for 2014. I wish him luck.

PMI
08-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Read between the lines here, guys. Swift isn't very good. He hasn't developed basketball skills to go with his athleticism. There's a reason the offers aren't exactly pouring in for him. People won't want to hear it or believe it, but I'm willing to bet that the staff just flat out didn't want to use a scholarship on him.

Masterofreality
08-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Two words:

Justin Tillman.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/20/2014-forward-justin-tillman-pulling-high-major-offer/

GoMuskies
08-20-2013, 02:13 PM
I hope we can beat out Oakland for his services.

ken redd
08-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Is anyone else getting a little concerned about this staff's ability to recruit?

PMI
08-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Is anyone else getting a little concerned about this staff's ability to recruit?

No.

Chalmers0
08-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Not going to go into details since it's premium content on Scout but he's making his visits soon and schools like Oakland are no longer on the list.

I also think this has to do with 4 star PF Makinde London who named Xavier as a final 5 school today. But again, just another guess.

PMI

Yawn. Tillman would be an excellent addition to our class.

ArizonaXUGrad

Was thinking Michigan more, bummer about Swift. No reason so far not to trust Mack and Co. If swift ends up at Providence then it's fishy, if he ends up at a Texas school then it's not.

mistabeecee41
08-20-2013, 02:25 PM
No.

Plenty of time left to fill out the 2014 class. As of now (I think) we have 2 scholarships available for next year. Banking on Semaj leaving, we'll have 3. Considering the fact that it seems as if we have somebody leave once a year, I'd say when it's all said and done we could have 4 in the 2014 class.

We're in the mix for a bunch of big names. Just gotta hope we get a few of them.

Milhouse
08-20-2013, 02:27 PM

The Same staff that just LAST year brought in Xavier's highest rated recruit ever?

Nope not at all.

They'll get someone much better at the 4 easily.

PMI
08-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Was thinking Michigan more, bummer about Swift. No reason so far not to trust Mack and Co. If swift ends up at Providence then it's fishy, if he ends up at a Texas school then it's not.

I don't think Swift is going to end up at a school that is even remotely close to the same level as Xavier. People may be recalling his freak athleticism and thinking that we just lost a great prospect, but I really don't think he would've ever seen the light of day in our lineup. I wish the kid luck, but I just don't think he was cut out for Xavier.

GoMuskies
08-20-2013, 02:32 PM

I'm not particularly worried, but I WILL feel better after Mack puts a good team that he recruited on the floor. I expect to feel better in about three months.

PMI
08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm not particularly worried, but I WILL feel better after Mack puts a good team that he recruited on the floor. I expect to feel better in about three months.

Well, I guess this year is really his first good chance to do that. I don't really count last year as a fair opportunity for him because of the Wells loss, the fact that Robinson sucked and was really just a last minute signing after what was a bit of a disastrous offseason, and the ineligiblities. This year, Mack can finally show what a team of his guys can look like.

Milhouse
08-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Well, I guess this year is really his first good chance to do that. I don't really count last year as a fair opportunity for him because of the Wells loss, the fact that Robinson sucked and was really just a last minute signing after what was a bit of a disastrous offseason, and the ineligiblities. This year, Mack can finally show what a team of his guys can look like.

I'd even say we need to wait til next year. We're still missing a key cog at the 3 (wells) and Mack didn't have someone in place to replace him already... Martin is not that guy. Kamall might be but won't start. Remy will be his guy.

ken redd
08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
The Same staff that just LAST year brought in Xavier's highest rated recruit ever?

Nope not at all.

They'll get someone much better at the 4 easily.

The staff has done a great job with recuiting guards. I was getting a little concerned about our lack of a 4/5. I have heard great things about reynolds so i think i will feel better once the season starts.

PMI
08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
The staff has done a great job with recuiting guards. I was getting a little concerned about our lack of a 4/5. I have heard great things about reynolds so i think i will feel better once the season starts.

We haven't had the forward success that we had in previous years, but I think Reynolds will be a stud. I think Vezenkov could've been a stud too but obviously there were other variables that led to him not coming. Travis Taylor was certainly a successful pick up for the staff, and I think Phillmore and Stainbrook will both prove to be very successful players in the program.

GoMuskies
08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Well, I guess this year is really his first good chance to do that.

Yep, and I'll feel better when it actually happens. Constructing a roster is pretty much the only thing Mack hasn't proven he can do so far, but it's pretty important. The signs generally look positive, though.

Milhouse
08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
He's also been great on the Transfer Market in terms of picking up players that contribute. Look for that to continue.

casualfan
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
If it wasn't his decision, and he found out that he was "uncommited" from Xavier any way other than a conversation with Coach Mack, that's pretty fucked up.

Not to say that's what I believe happened, of course.

this x 1000. as to the staff not being as high on him as Ashley Howard was its the same thing as the Cantino signing IMO: all decisions of adding to the roster start and end with the head coach.

Masterofreality
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM

4 words: Jalen Reynolds, Matt Stainbrook.

kyxu
08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Whatever the reasons, I feel bad for the kid. Hope he finds a better fit.

PMI
08-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Not gonna lie, I'd feel much worse if he turned into a waste of a scholarship. But I do wish him well.

Masterofreality
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Everyone who is spinning in a tizzy over this should chill out.

Melvin Swift was recruited and offered by Ashley Howard, who obviously had a higher opinion of him than other coaches. I'm sure that other eyes were on him this summer and those eyes we're not as impressed as Howard. Whether the fact that Melvin has fathered a child with his girlfriend...who already has two other kids by others...at 19 years old comes into play, is unknown.

I hope that Melvin winds up in a place that is better for him and closer to his soon-to-be child. Meanwhile, there are other 4 fish in the pool and Xavier will get one of them.

Just another reason why folks shouldn't go crazy over recruiting news until someone actually signs a National LOI.

paulxu
08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Unless it's a European. In that case, carry on with your crazy until they are on campus.

kyxu
08-21-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm surprised there isn't yet a yahoo sports article on this: "HS basketball star finds out via twitter that he has no scholarship" which would be exactly what Xavier needs right now.

PMI
08-21-2013, 07:02 AM
I'm surprised there isn't yet a yahoo sports article on this: "HS basketball star finds out via twitter that he has no scholarship" which would be exactly what Xavier needs right now.

Because he didn't find out over Twitter, and this isn't some unprecedented occurrence.

kyxu
08-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Because he didn't find out over Twitter, and this isn't some unprecedented occurrence.

I know he didn't, but that's what he claimed, and that's really all it will take.

PMI
08-21-2013, 08:06 AM
I know he didn't, but that's what he claimed, and that's really all it will take.

Possibly, but that's the world we live in. We can't control what every immature teenager says about the program in social media. We certainly can't give him a scholarship just to preempt any public disgruntlement if we do not think he's worthy of one. I agree that now would be a bad time for anymore negative publicity, but I'm not really sure what we could've done differently other than not let Ashley Howard convince the staff he was worth an offer in the first place (which at the time it looked like he was.)

McX
08-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Possibly, but that's the world we live in. We can't control what every immature teenager says about the program in social media. We certainly can't give him a scholarship just to preempt any public disgruntlement if we do not think he's worthy of one. I agree that now would be a bad time for anymore negative publicity, but I'm not really sure what we could've done differently other than not let Ashley Howard convince the staff he was worth an offer in the first place (which at the time it looked like he was.)

Disgruntlement!!!???

Norman Dale
08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Gotta say this doesn't upset me too bad, after watching several of his highlight videos he kinda reminded me of J.D. Weatherspoon another former X commit who ended up at Ohio St. and was less than impressive there, freak athlete with low basketball skills.

SemajParlor
08-22-2013, 11:12 AM

No sure if concerned is the right choice. More like starting to get annoyed..

gladdenguy
08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Yep. If Mack strikes out again like last year (even though I know the Dez issue was huge last year)......there is legitimate reason to be concerned or annoyed.
There have been 2 recruits Mack can hang his hat on and they are really good (Semaj, Dez).
Everybody else he's recruited (not including MDavis, JReynolds, KRichards, BRandolph) are nothing more than backup players.
His transfer list.
Good - in his second year Travis Taylor (first year was terrible)
Nothing special so far - Stainbrook, Abell, Philmore.

Mack has a big couple of years. Hopefully the piss poor leadership of Xavier University can be taken care of so he doesn't have to worry about that.
Michael Graham and company made it a lot tougher on Mack after screwing him over with Dez Wells.....unfair yes, but that's life.

Milhouse
08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Yep. If Mack strikes out again like last year (even though I know the Dez issue was huge last year)......there is legitimate reason to be concerned or annoyed.
There have been 2 recruits Mack can hang his hat on and they are really good (Semaj, Dez).
Everybody else he's recruited (not including MDavis, JReynolds, KRichards, BRandolph) are nothing more than backup players.
His transfer list.

Mack has a big couple of years. Hopefully the piss poor leadership of Xavier University can be taken care of so he doesn't have to worry about that.
Michael Graham and company made it a lot tougher on Mack after screwing him over with Dez Wells.....unfair yes, but that's life.

I think this time next year that list might included Reynolds. Seems like he could be an amazing prospect for X.

casualfan
08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I think this time next year that list might included Reynolds. Seems like he could be an amazing prospect for X.

He needs to get on the court first. This is the third year in a row we've been hearing how great he is.

DC Muskie
08-22-2013, 12:31 PM
He needs to get on the court first. This is the third year in a row we've been hearing how great he is.

Ha! Yes, I would actually like to see him play.

ammtd34
08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
His transfer list.

Those lists are accurate right now, but with 6 players yet to play, there could be a huge percentage change by next year.

ken redd
08-22-2013, 02:22 PM
No sure if concerned is the right choice. More like starting to get annoyed..
I agree maybe concerned is a little strong.
Has Mack and Co recruited a forward from high school that has worked out?
I really don't care where they come from as long as they can play but it would be nice to have someone for 4 yrs?

Milhouse
08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I really don't care where they come from as long as they can play but it would be nice to have someone for 4 yrs?

Wait for Reynolds next year then judge. Real Deal.

blueblob06
08-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Well, Reynolds is going on 4 years, right?!?

Masterofreality
08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Melvin is now tweeting that they "had to drop his scholarship".

No they didn't. They have one open for this year that won't be filled.

DC Muskie
08-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Who's in the pipeline to replace Mr. Swift?

bleedXblue
08-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Who's in the pipeline to replace Mr. Swift?

My hunch is that we'll hear something in the next 1-2 weeks

Something is up

DC Muskie
08-23-2013, 04:46 PM
My hunch is that we'll hear something in the next 1-2 weeks

Something is up

You think we have somebody already lined up or did this relationship end no matter what?

XUFan09
08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
You think we have somebody already lined up or did this relationship end no matter what?

I feel like it was ending no matter what. Because of his lack of development, it looked like Swift wasn't going to be good enough to see the floor, no matter who else we brought in for this class.

XUFan09
08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
That being said, there are some post prospects coming to their decisions in the next couple months.

XU-PA
08-24-2013, 06:21 AM
"Mack doesn’t expect to fill the program’s one open scholarship before classes start Monday. While there is always the chance of picking up a mid-season transfer, Mack said that won’t necessarily happen. So for now, the scholarship remains unfilled."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130823/SPT0102/308230118/Chris-Mack-optimistic-despite-departures

GoMuskies
08-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Yawn. Tillman would be an excellent addition to our class.

We tied Oakland. Don't feel much better losing out to VCU.

PMI
08-31-2013, 10:34 AM
We tied Oakland. Don't feel much better losing out to VCU.

Well, I can't change the way you feel, but I find it very amusing the amount of Xavier fans who still don't recognize VCU as a national power. People can hold the snobby opinion that Xavier should never lose out to VCU all they want. It really doesn't matter when the players being recruited and the coaches they come from see it for what it is. Tillman should be a very good player for them, and he would've been a great addition for us. Now, we need to lock down London Makinde. I actually like his potential even more than Tillman's. Dude has some serious handles for a PF.

Juice
08-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Well, I can't change the way you feel, but I find it very amusing the amount of Xavier fans who still don't recognize VCU as a national power. People can hold the snobby opinion that Xavier should never lose out to VCU all they want. It really doesn't matter when the players being recruited and the coaches they come from see it for what it is. Tillman should be a very good player for them, and he would've been a great addition for us. Now, we need to lock down London Makinde. I actually like his potential even more than Tillman's. Dude has some serious handles for a PF.

Amen. It's the same attitude that our fans get pissed at when we would beat out Big 6 teams for recruits. And now because we join a watered down version of the Big East, which is definitely better than the A10, we magically expect to get every recruit over teams from lesser conferences.

PMI
08-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Amen. It's the same attitude that our fans get pissed at when we would beat out Big 6 teams for recruits. And now because we join a watered down version of the Big East, which is definitely better than the A10, we magically expect to get every recruit over teams from lesser conferences.

To add to it, I would be willing to bet that most Xavier fans aren't aware of how frequently Shaka is beating out some even higher profile programs than us for 4 star type recruits. They recruit at a very high level and practically shit 24 win seasons and get high seeds to the dance, and then make noise in the dance. A lot of Xavier fans use this EXACT argument against fans of high profile teams who don't seem to properly respect us, and then turn around and do the same thing to a fellow great program. My guess is some kind of midwest bias. Xavier fans are always very quick to point out how great a program Butler is, but ignorantly rail on an even better program in VCU.

waggy
08-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Xavier fans ... ignorantly rail on an even better program in VCU.

This must happen on another forum, because I don't remember it happening here..

XUFan09
08-31-2013, 11:37 AM

I wouldn't say there is much that's explicit, but some posters on each board definitely hold a condescending attitude toward VCU. It might in part have to do with some resentment at their recent Final Four appearance while Xavier continus to fall short, but I'm just speculating on that point.

PMI
08-31-2013, 12:59 PM

There have been plenty of backhanded comments about VCU here, particularly in the discussions over who should be added to the Big East several months ago. Fact is, it's a great program that would immediately compete in the Big East, but Georgetown sees them as an immediate threat. Some people here acted like they're some little mid-major who caught lightning in a bottle one year, and they couldn't be more wrong.

waggy
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh I remember now.. You pimpin the shit outta VCU.

Muskie
08-31-2013, 01:33 PM
I enjoy watching VCU play. Plus they have a great fanbase.

PMI
08-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Oh I remember now.. You pimpin the shit outta VCU.

Someone's gotta spread the truth while everyone else is spewing shit.

GoMuskies
08-31-2013, 02:09 PM
I'd put VCU's program about a notch behind Wichita State at this point. Mostly because Gregg Marshall >>> Shaka.

Juice
01-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 51s
Former Xavier commit Melvin Swift said Connecticut and Massachusetts are coming at him the hardest.

nkymuskie
05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
For those curious whatever happened to Melvin Swift, he announced yesterday that he has signed with a community college in Texas. From the article it sounds like his grades weren't in order to qualify for any D-1 school. Best of luck for him and his future but I'm glad X decided to part ways.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2014/05/umass_recruiting_prospect_melv.html

Masterofreality
05-20-2014, 11:01 AM
For those curious whatever happened to Melvin Swift, he announced yesterday that he has signed with a community college in Texas. From the article it sounds like his grades weren't in order to qualify for any D-1 school. Best of luck for him and his future but I'm glad X decided to part ways.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2014/05/umass_recruiting_prospect_melv.html

And he fathered a child as a junior in high school. Not smart.

PMI
05-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks Ashley Howard! In all seriousness though, very glad we moved on from this kid, especially considering the 6 man class we have coming in, none of whom I'd trade for Melvin Swift and a free steak dinner.

kyxu
05-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Though justified, somewhat of an ugly parting between Xavier and Swift. I remember when he took to twitter, claiming that he actually found out via twitter that his scholarship offer to Xavier had been pulled. No idea how true that is.

Milhouse
05-20-2014, 12:09 PM
They backed off Bolden too due to academics. Mack & Co. do not want the Reynolds/Davis situation to arise again.

XUFan09
05-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Though justified, somewhat of an ugly parting between Xavier and Swift. I remember when he took to twitter, claiming that he actually found out via twitter that his scholarship offer to Xavier had been pulled. No idea how true that is.

It isn't.

XUFan09
05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
They backed off Bolden too due to academics. Mack & Co. do not want the Reynolds/Davis situation to arise again.

I hadn't heard of that, but Bolden also hasn't really developed as a point guard. He's basically a 5'9" scorer with questionable defensive capabilities.

PMI
05-20-2014, 12:39 PM

There was no truth to it, and any ugliness that occurred really couldn't have been prevented by Xavier. I think the kid was just hurt by losing his offer, which is a shame, but there's really not another way we could've played it.

To add to that, with the Big East not allowing partial qualifiers like we got away with over the years in the A10, we have to be especially cautious with even the borderline kids. I think in Swift's case, there was a lot of writing on the wall both from an academic and personal standpoint that made him less and less attractive as a recruit, and that's before you even consider that he did not progress on the court nearly as much as we would've liked.

ArizonaXUGrad
05-21-2014, 10:37 AM
I believe the era of partial qualifiers is gone in NCAA basketball entirely.

Edit: where did swift go? This has me curious. Bolden was a good scorer at 5'9 at a young age. We were on him young, he never grew, so regardless of academics it makes sense we backed off the kid. I will be curious to see how Parker Jackson-Cartwright does at Arizona. Kid is a 4-5* and the same height but rumors have him at 5'7. You have to be special at that size to be a good PG.

LA Muskie
05-21-2014, 11:20 AM
The era of technical partial qualifiers is done, but with non-qual waivers they have essentially survived nevertheless. Most major conferences (the Power 5 and BE in particular) don't permit them, though. Which leaves mid-tier conferences like the A10 as the best options for those kids.

ArizonaXUGrad
05-22-2014, 12:28 PM
So under the new rules Myles Davis and Jalen Reynolds could not have gone to XU. Puts a bit of academic pressure on these kids. Can't help but think this was done "for" the prep. schools.

throwbackmuskie
05-22-2014, 12:38 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=43024&src=desktop

ArizonaXUGrad
05-30-2014, 10:53 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=43024&src=desktop

That reads like it's against the 5 year kids going to prep. Good lord, this could be pushing kids to the non-power 5 conferences. Can't say I am really against that.

Juice
12-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Holy shit. Bad news about Melvin Swift. I guess he was shot and killed.

https://twitter.com/RcsSports/status/682056573481390080

XMuskieFTW
12-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Holy shit. Bad news about Melvin Swift. I guess he was shot and killed.

https://twitter.com/RcsSports/status/682056573481390080

Horrible. He apparently was an preseason all American selection in juco but was dismissed from the team in early December. Very sad.

blueblob06
12-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Very sad news. If I recall, he had a young child.

Muskie
12-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Wow.. that's awful news.

THRILLHOUSE
12-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Wow, didn't imagine this would be the reason the Melvin Swift thread was bumped. Awful news. R.I.P. and thoughts with his family.

XUMIOH12
12-30-2015, 09:22 AM
wow, sad news. sorry for him and his family.

Cheesehead
12-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Never like to hear stuff like this. So sad.

RealDeal
12-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Awful news, RIP.

blobfan
12-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Why it is hard to be surprised? I could not understand.

http://abc13.com/news/former-yates-basketball-star-fatally-shot-possibly-during-burglary/1140877/

xu82
12-30-2015, 12:27 PM
http://abc13.com/news/former-yates-basketball-star-fatally-shot-possibly-during-burglary/1140877/

Well, that's a horrible twist.