PDA

View Full Version : FS1's FOX College Hoops Video: No Xavier/Creighton?

BMoreX
08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=05f3b0b4-842e-4bd1-910a-dbbeed0794e0&src=v5:pause:twitter:&from=sharepermalink-twitter

OK so maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm kind of disappointed that no Xavier highlights were part of this video. Butler was definitely there (as well as all of the other Big East teams) except for the Blue Jays and Muskies.

LadyMuskie
08-12-2013, 07:53 PM
We don't need no stinkin highlight video to know who we are. Let those other teams have their preseason highlights from seasons long ago. The only highlights I care about are the ones we'll be watching of our boys with Xavier on their chests before one particular game in April. These other teams need to see this stuff to get them ready to play. We were born prepared!

We're not the Flagship because of preseason highlight videos. We're the Flagship because we are the postseason highlight show!

Xaveriana
08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
I must disagree LM. This is a slap in the face that 2 of the 3 new teams are not highlighted when GTown and others are shown multiple times. We have had a relationship with Fox for years and we should demand the same exposure as the other BE members. I would have expected more. I hope XU fans are not just happy to be here (in the BE) and we will settle for nothing less than being the flagship. Imagine if that were an A10 highlights vid and we were left off. This board would have lit up like a Christmas tree.

Strange Brew
08-13-2013, 12:34 AM
I must disagree LM. This is a slap in the face that 2 of the 3 new teams are not highlighted when GTown and others are shown multiple times.

No worries, I don't need a promo video to remember the supposed "twin towers" so named Motumbo and Mourning be shaken to the earth by the humble giants, Hill and Strong. BRING IT "BIG" EAST, THE FLAGSHIP HAS LEFT THE PORT!

X-man
08-13-2013, 06:20 AM
I must disagree LM. This is a slap in the face that 2 of the 3 new teams are not highlighted when GTown and others are shown multiple times. We have had a relationship with Fox for years and we should demand the same exposure as the other BE members. I would have expected more. I hope XU fans are not just happy to be here (in the BE) and we will settle for nothing less than being the flagship. Imagine if that were an A10 highlights vid and we were left off. This board would have lit up like a Christmas tree.

Nah, I say we have to earn it....and I have no doubt that we will as we surprise the new league and finish in the top three.

ammtd34
08-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Dante Jackson was the only Big East representative in a commercial I saw during a soccer game last week. It all evens out.

casualfan
08-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Everyone used to being a big fish in a small pond is in for a rude awakening.

Until we prove otherwise we're just another team and a newby at that.

GoMuskies
08-13-2013, 08:08 AM

That's right. Now we're a big fish in a big pond.

It's really no different than when we joined th A-10 in '95. Soon enough, they'll all get it.

xubrew
08-13-2013, 09:12 AM

Until we prove otherwise we're just another team and a newby at that.

Road wins will be slightly harder to come by.

casualfan
08-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Road wins will be slightly harder to come by.

As will home wins.

I've said it before, but I'm not sure people realize how different things will be.

It's not the games against high level teams that will be different it is everything else. There will be no off nights. The depth and mental fortitude of this team will be tested night in and night out.

I'm definitely preparing myself for some bumps along the way.

GoMuskies
08-13-2013, 09:52 AM
No nights off? DePaul dropped out of the league.

PMI
08-13-2013, 09:55 AM
As will home wins.

I've said it before, but I'm not sure people realize how different things will be.

It's not the games against high level teams that will be different it is everything else. There will be no off nights. The depth and mental fortitude of this team will be tested night in and night out.

I'm definitely preparing myself for some bumps along the way.

It will certainly be tougher, but I don't think it will be that different. Honestly, it's not like we really could afford many more bad nights or long mental lapses in the A10 than we can now, when you really think about it. Or out of conference for that matter. Look at how many games fatigue and poor free throw shooting cost us last year. During our 5 year tear, we still always had a couple/few games in the A10 where we lost a game that we were favored to win, but didn't quite bring it that night. But we were also a really good team those years, and snuck away in some games where we didn't have our best that night. I don't think we were able to do that just because we were playing, say Charlotte in stead of, say Seton Hall. We were able to get away with it because we had Sweet 16 caliber teams.

I'm not saying we can afford to be complacent or anything like that, and yes, this league will be better, but I just don't think it's really that much different from the standpoint of what we need to do on a given night. In any conference, you need to bring your A game, especially on the road, and if you're a better team than your opponent, sometimes you might get away with winning on a night where you aren't your best. The Xavier teams of around 07-12 could've competed just fine in this Big East. Part of what made us who we were is that we usually were the mentally tougher, more prepared team. We just need to return to form and things will be fine. More difficult, yes, but not night and day, in my opinion.

casualfan
08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
No nights off? DePaul dropped out of the league.

Coming off a year that included losses to Pacific, Wofford, Charlotte and Richmond I thought people would embrace the no nights off mantra.

Guess not.

casualfan
08-13-2013, 09:58 AM
It will certainly be tougher, but I don't think it will be that different. Honestly, it's not like we really could afford many more bad nights or long mental lapses in the A10 than we can now, when you really think about it. Or out of conference for that matter. Look at how many games fatigue and poor free throw shooting cost us last year. During our 5 year tear, we still always had a couple/few games in the A10 where we lost a game that we were favored to win, but didn't quite bring it that night. But we were also a really good team those years, and snuck away in some games where we didn't have our best that night. I don't think we were able to do that just because we were playing, say Charlotte in stead of, say Seton Hall. We were able to get away with it because we had Sweet 16 caliber teams.

I'm not saying we can afford to be complacent or anything like that, and yes, this league will be better, but I just don't think it's really that much different from the standpoint of what we need to do on a given night. In any conference, you need to bring your A game, especially on the road, and if you're a better team than your opponent, sometimes you might get away with winning on a night where you aren't your best. The Xavier teams of around 07-12 could've competed just fine in this Big East. Part of what made us who we were is that we usually were the mentally tougher, more prepared team. We just need to return to form and things will be fine. More difficult, yes, but not night and day, in my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more, but that's what makes sports so much fun. We get to see who is right.

GoMuskies
08-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Coming off a year that included losses to Pacific, Wofford, Charlotte and Richmond I thought people would embrace the no nights off mantra.

Guess not.

Then it's no different. We couldn't afford nights off last year either.

PMI
08-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't think anyone is truly thinking that we can cruise through anyone if we flat out don't bring it, and yes, last year more than verified that for us. I just think that it's always kind of been like that to an extent (more so than most X fans probably realized since we were so good.) In the A10, we had 16 games a year. Maybe 2 or 3 of them were against teams that we pretty much couldn't lose to unless we forgot what time tip off was. Now maybe you take those 2 or 3 games away from our conference schedule now, but in turn, the OOC is not as tough and we don't really play OOC road games anymore, so I think it evens out. To me, I kind of get rubbed the wrong way with the idea that things are so night and day different, because I think that implication kind of discredits just how good our teams were before. If you take any of our recent Sweet 16 teams and put them in this current Big East, they're still really good. It's not like they can't play with Georgetown or Marquette, and it's certainly not like they'd have racked up too many more losses just because they're playing at Seton Hall, DePaul, etc. instead of LaSalle or SBU, etc. Those were good teams that were going to win those games much more often than not.

So my point is, if we return to that form, which we all grew very used to, things really aren't going to be that much different. We will still be one of everyones' big games, we will still have a few really tough road games where we're the underdog, and we will still be favored in all of our home games. So maybe we go 12-6 instead of 13-3, or 11-7 instead of 12-4, or whatever, but that will balance out by having fewer big time OOC road tests, and a better conference SOS. Our seed will still be about the same and we're still a contender. We can't show up to Georgetown and win without playing very well. But we couldn't show up to Temple and win without playing very well either. Hell, we couldn't show up to dayton and win without holding off the best effort the humpers could come up with all season. The bottom line is, if we go back to what we've been, that will mean we really don't have that many nights off, and we'll be good enough to beat anyone in this league. I'm not saying there will be no bumps or that there might not be an adjustment period. But I think if there is, it will have more to do with the fact that we aren't back to what we were yet. If we play like the recent Sweet 16 teams, we will have a good conference record. Also, considering that we were THE main event in the A10, and will now be just another big conference game, you have to factor in the other side of it. We may be more prone to catching other "mid tier" conference teams at less than their best. If you remember back to the A10 games we lost to underdogs in those years, yes, we weren't at our best, but the other team was usually playing much better than its mediocre record might suggest it should.

SM#24
08-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Our W-L record will probably be worse due to an overall tougher schedule, but we will be a better.

GoMuskies
08-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Our W-L record will probably be worse due to an overall tougher schedule, but we will be a better.

Our record will be worse compared to what? If it's worse than 17-14, that would REALLY suck!

GoMuskies
08-13-2013, 12:34 PM
To me, the jump from A-10 to Big East is a MUCH smaller jump than the MCC to A-10 was back in 1995. Not even close, really.

PMI
08-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Worse than last year? Not a chance. If you mean worse conference records than what we're generally used to in the A10, I can buy it, but I think it will be a small difference.

SM#24
08-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes, I meant what we're generally used to from a conference record standpoint. I'd be willing to bet that our BE record for the next 18 seasons will be worse than our A10 record, but I think we will be a better team in terms of rankings, RPI, NCAA seeds, etc.
15-1 and 14-2 records and regular season championships will be harder to come by. And Go, I agree this move to the BE is less of a jump than MCC to A10.

We will be more than fine; I've said this many times before, anyone who thinks we will be less successful as a member of the Big East then must think we've been overrated during our A10 tenure (which our tournament history would suggest we weren't).