PDA

View Full Version : This year's Crosstown Shootout (aka "Classic")

X-man
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
The e-mail from Athletics came out today offering access to tickets for this year's Shootout. Even nosebleed seats are $35, and it's $50-$75 to sit in the lower section. Needless to say, the game is far less attractive than when it was part of our season ticket package and we hosted it in the Cintas. I will not be attending, and will never attend another such game until it is back on the campuses.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
The tickets are the same price as last year...

I'm going much more excited this year with a better team also glad it's on a saturday night this year. Going to have a great time at the banks pre and post game.

drudy23
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I agree with the boycott until it's back on campus stance...I also agree with partying it up pre and post game at the Banks.

casualfan
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
The e-mail from Athletics came out today offering access to tickets for this year's Shootout. Even nosebleed seats are $35, and it's $50-$75 to sit in the lower section. Needless to say, the game is far less attractive than when it was part of our season ticket package and we hosted it in the Cintas. I will not be attending, and will never attend another such game until it is back on the campuses.

I wish people didn't have this mentality. I totally understand why people feel this way, but if our fans have a showing like they did last year it will be sad.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
I wish people didn't have this mentality. I totally understand why people feel this way, but if our fans have a showing like they did last year it will be sad.

Should be a different story this year. X isn't on a downswing and UC won't have the hype around them as they did last year.

casualfan
08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Should be a different story this year. X isn't on a downswing and UC won't have the hype around them as they did last year.

I think it will be better, but just look at this thread. Two of the four people who have responded have said they'll boycott the game.

GoMuskies
08-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't go if I was in town. But since I won't be in town anyway, I won't affect anything.

nuts4xu
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I won't begrudge anyone who boycotts the game. It is a terrible idea to move it downtown, and I would love to see bad attendance (or any other reason) move the game back to campus where it belongs.

However, I respect anyone who does attend the game and hope we fill the place with Xavier fans. It would be great to have the game open to both fan bases and to out draw UC for this game.

casualfan
08-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I guess I just think about it differently.

I don't care where they play the shootout, I'll always be there rooting my dick off.

GoMuskies
08-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Sounds painful.

casualfan
08-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Sounds painful.

last year it was.

paulxu
08-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I guess I just think about it differently.

I don't care where they play the shootout, I'll always be there rooting my dick off.

You must be a Gamecock fan.

Milhouse
08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I think it will be better, but just look at this thread. Two of the four people who have responded have said they'll boycott the game.

Luckily though Xavier Hoops posters make up a very very minor part of the fan base. I haven't talked to any casual fans that are boycotting the game, hell some enjoy the idea of the banks beforehand even....

casualfan
08-09-2013, 08:36 AM
I haven't talked to any casual fans that are boycotting the game, hell some enjoy the idea of the banks beforehand even....

I assume a lot of those people went last year as well.

xubrew
08-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I am in a part of the country where the Crosstown Shootout carries the same importance as the World Cup of Cricket, so I don't really know what the overall vibe of the city was. I know what the vibe of this board was, but not the city.

On TV it looked full, and it actually looked like the Illinois vs Mizzou game. Split arena with the students behind each basket. But, Sometimes not all is what it appears. On TV, it looked like a good atmosphere, but that doesn't mean it was a good atmosphere. I later heard that they failed to sell out the game, which was a little surprising, but then again if everyone was upset about the location and the ticket price, then perhaps it wasn't all that surprising.

casualfan
08-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I am in a part of the country where the Crosstown Shootout carries the same importance as the World Cup of Cricket, so I don't really know what the overall vibe of the city was. I know what the vibe of this board was, but not the city.

On TV it looked full, and it actually looked like the Illinois vs Mizzou game. Split arena with the students behind each basket. But, Sometimes not all is what it appears. On TV, it looked like a good atmosphere, but that doesn't mean it was a good atmosphere. I later heard that they failed to sell out the game, which was a little surprising, but then again if everyone was upset about the location and the ticket price, then perhaps it wasn't all that surprising.

I actually thought the atmosphere was very cool with the split down the middle (like they do when OU and Texas play in football). The only downer was that the UC side was full and the XU side was not (the upper half of the XU side was pretty empty).

To put it in perspective capacity for the arena is roughly 17k. Attendance for the game was 14,528. As I mentioned the UC side was full so you can do the math.

I just hope fans show up this year because I do think the attendance helps with the game. Last year when UC went on that run to start the second half the place sounded like a UC home game (made me sick) and i think that really helped fuel them pulling away.

blobfan
08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
So more UC fans showed up for the game than at the previous 5 UC home games combined (or thereabouts)? Pathetic. Whereas the XU fans decided to be intelligent and frugal in a down economy and not attend a ball game in a rundown arena with uncomfortable overpriced seats, which also happened to support a one-hit-wonder of a museum that was supposed to be self-funding within its first 5 years.

GIMMFD
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
It doesn't really help that they choose dates that students aren't on campus either...

Milhouse
08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
It doesn't really help that they choose dates that students aren't on campus either...

Or a weeknight either.

It was probably 60-40 UC fans.

Which is pathetic when you think about it. UC graduates 9 people for everyone 1 that XU graduates. I don't think any of us would be surprised to hear that percentage wise more UC grads stay in the area than XU either.

LadyMuskie
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
So more UC fans showed up for the game than at the previous 5 UC home games combined (or thereabouts)? Pathetic. Whereas the XU fans decided to be intelligent and frugal in a down economy and not attend a ball game in a rundown arena with uncomfortable overpriced seats, which also happened to support a one-hit-wonder of a museum that was supposed to be self-funding within its first 5 years.

Totally agree! Well said!

I come from a huge Xavier family (meaning most of my relatives are X grads) and many of our friends are also X fans, and no one that I know attended or will attend the Shootout until it returns to its proper place - on campus. The arena sucks, which is being generous about the condition of the arena, and the ticket prices are stupid high to pay for a museum that no one likes. I'd rather see the game played at Cincinnati Gardens or a high school gym before I'd watch them play at US Bank.

Additionally, the idea that this is what has to be done because the criminals, I mean "players", and their head leprechaun on UC's bench can't control their tempers is annoying. Every year this game isn't played on campus is just one more reminder of the gross overreaction to the fight. If Cronin was so adamant to his players that this would never happen again, then why worry? Maybe if the game was preceded each year with Gates, Guyn and their thug teammates in attendance apologizing once again to Kenny Frease and Xavier fans, and then getting down on their knees to thank Frease for not pressing charges on their sorry @$$e$, I'd attend.

Until then, I just assume Xavier and UC know that I don't approve of the move and moreover don't approve of my money going to support something that never should have been built in the first place and is a total waste of riverfront space (which, in thinking about it, applies both to US Bank Arena and The Freedom Center!).

Olsingledigit
08-09-2013, 01:51 PM
I will not be there nor was I last year, so I also do not impact the year to year comparison. I live in Indy. I have been an X season ticket holder since 1983 but I have hated that arena forever. I love the Cintas and do not want to go to any more split games during a season. And the prices are ridiculous. Some charity supposedly benefits. If I am going to pay more I want X to benefit. They are a charity, after all.

bjf123
08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Been a season ticket holder for a number of years. I won't be going and it's purely a matter of price. My seats at Cintas are 12 rows from the floor. I'm not going to spend $150+ so my wife and I can have similar seats to what should be included in my season ticket package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-man
08-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Been a season ticket holder for a number of years. I won't be going and it's purely a matter of price. My seats at Cintas are 12 rows from the floor. I'm not going to spend $150+ so my wife and I can have similar seats to what should be included in my season ticket package.

Amen, bro'.

coasterville95
08-10-2013, 03:54 PM
I ordered seats again. I just can't fathom not gong to an in town game if I have the means to do so.

Fireball
08-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm not going and it's purely the fact that the tickets are overpriced. $35 for crappy seats, and $70 for good ones? No thanks. I'll watch the game on TV from the comfort of my couch.

Muskie
08-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Agree.

Retire33
08-10-2013, 11:08 PM

This! Could not have said it better my self

xubrew
08-11-2013, 01:32 AM
I completely understand people not wanting to pay those prices. If it's not because of their means, it is because of their principles.

I really think the Crosstown Shootout had the chance to become an awesome spectacle at a neutral floor setting. You can fit all the XU and UC season ticket holders into US Bank every year, and there is enough room for a sizeable student section every year. There aren't many NCAA Tournament like atmospheres with arenas that are rammed full and split down the middle prior to the NCAA Tournament, and this could have been one of them. I was in favor of moving it downtown a long time before the fight.

Having said that, it didn't work. I don't know why. I know everyone said it wouldn't work. I know they tried it. I know it didn't work. I must be stubborn, because I still think it could have been great at a neutral site. I see no downside to student sections and season ticket holders getting into the game every year instead of every other year. Perhaps the connection to the fight soured it, or that people thought it was being entirely orchestrated by UC (which I'm pretty sure it wasn't).

But, one thing I do know is that it didn't work. I guess I'm stubborn in my thinking. I didn't understand the reasons people gave for saying it didn't work, and still don't, but despite me not understanding them there is no denying that they were right. I mean.....how do you not stuff that place full and having standing room only for a game like that?? Since it wasn't sold out, I could have probably gotten in for ten bucks had I been in town to buy a ticket on the street.

paulxu
08-11-2013, 06:16 AM
I don't know why.

For the same reason that Duke/UNC isn't played on a neutral court. Teams want in a great rivalry to have part of the tradition be defending your home court. When students are there, and camping out for sold out tickets, it's even better.

xubrew
08-11-2013, 10:09 AM
For the same reason that Duke/UNC isn't played on a neutral court. Teams want in a great rivalry to have part of the tradition be defending your home court. When students are there, and camping out for sold out tickets, it's even better.

Duke vs UNC is a conference game, and conference rivalries in basketball are a different animal.

I think Missouri vs Illinois is a great rivalry and a great atmosphere. I'm not entirely discounting what you're saying, but there are circumstances where big rivals do play on neutral floors in settings that are pretty awesome. Kentucky and Indiana did it for years. The Big Five does it. There's talk of moving Syracuse vs Georgetown to MSG ever year once it resumes. (okay, I'm against that, so bad example, but you get the idea). If Missouri vs Kansas ever resumes, chances are it will be in Kansas City.

I'm about to take this in a direction that the thread isn't intended to go, but the OOC portion of college basketball is only closely followed by college basketball fans. The general sports fan doesn't have college hoops on their front burner until well into conference play. So, the only games anyone will watch prior to that are the showcase games. I think a neutral floor game between two NCAA caliber teams in a very heated rivalry and atmosphere would make for a great showcase game.

But....I guess it didn't in our case.

Muskeagle
08-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Amen, bro'.

Agree.

This! Could not have said it better my self

Man......a lot of dudes sit in the 12th row! ;)

X-man
08-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Man......a lot of dudes sit in the 12th row! ;)

I am actually in the ninth row, but the sentiment expressed by bjf123 matches mine.

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2013, 08:00 AM
I stand behind the last row and agree that the ticket prices are stupid. Tack on a few drinks and you're looking at an expensive night out.

One of the main reasons that I became a Xavier season ticket holder in 1995 was the affordability. I'm pretty sure my first year season ticket was around $130. I get that that was 18 years ago, and a new arena, and a couple elite 8's ago and all of that, but the concept that one game that isn't even a home game is half of a season ticket is just a different perspective on part of why I enjoy X hoops.

I won't go to the game, but I could see heading down to the banks to enjoy the pre and post game (and during game).

nuts4xu
08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
...in a rundown arena with uncomfortable overpriced seats,

I am not sure I agree with this part. The arena is old as hell, no doubt, but the seats are padded and very comfortable. It isn't the Cintas Center, but it's not a terrible place to watch a basketball game.

There are plenty of reasons to not go to this game, but I don't think the seats should deter you. My bum likes the cushions.

anXUfan
08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
I sit in the 4th row but I'll be going just because I love watching X play, especially against UC. Also this way I have flexibility to get extra seats for friends.

xuwin
08-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Moving this game downtown is the main reason I did not renew my season tickets this year. I'll still root for them, but, it will be in front of my TV at home.

blobfan
08-13-2013, 12:03 PM
I am not sure I agree with this part. The arena is old as hell, no doubt, but the seats are padded and very comfortable. It isn't the Cintas Center, but it's not a terrible place to watch a basketball game.

There are plenty of reasons to not go to this game, but I don't think the seats should deter you. My bum likes the cushions.

For what they are charging per seat, they should be more than adequately comfortable.

TUclutch
08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Some of you are pathetic excuses for fans. 1. If you can afford season tickets at Xavier, you can afford one game with the prices a little higher. 2. The players don't choose the ticket prices or venues, yet they are the ones being hurt the most by fans who won't go. 3. Its fucking Xavier basketball and the shootout. Go to the damn game and cheer like its the NCAA tourney. The process/reasoning behind the game moving downtown was more the reason why people are upset about it. Neutral court games for huge rivalries work out well most of the time. I think from the resources I have the game will be back on campus next yr but if not the environment downtown can be amazing if both teams fans come out. UC brought theirs while XU brought a sad backing thanks to people like some of you.

Sack up. Go to the game and cheer for our fuckin muskies. Im 22, a student without a serious job yet and if I can pony up the cash for some good seats no reason any of you can't. Any of the other big east schools fans wouldn't act like this.

GoMuskies
08-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Some of you are pathetic excuses for fans.

Well that's not very nice.

1. If you can afford season tickets at Xavier, you can afford one game with the prices a little higher.

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should buy it. Hopefully the Jesuits are teaching you that much.

2. The players don't choose the ticket prices or venues, yet they are the ones being hurt the most by fans who won't go.

I think the players will survive. They'll be playing in frong of a packed house in Cintas for just about every home game. They should feel plenty loved.

3. Its fucking Xavier basketball and the shootout. Go to the damn game and cheer like its the NCAA tourney. The process/reasoning behind the game moving downtown was more the reason why people are upset about it. Neutral court games for huge rivalries work out well most of the time.

It's the fucking Shootout. Should never be downtown. It's not like the NCAA Tournament, and rivalry games on neutral courts kinda suck, honestly.

I think from the resources I have the game will be back on campus next yr

Sure hope your sources are right on that one.

but if not the environment downtown can be amazing if both teams fans come out. UC brought theirs while XU brought a sad backing thanks to people like some of you.

The Shootout downtown will always suck. UC fans can have it. Xavier should drop it if downtown is the only option.

Sack up.

I mean, when you put it that way who WOULDN'T be persuaded?!?

Go to the game and cheer for our fuckin muskies. Im 22, a student without a serious job yet and if I can pony up the cash for some good seats no reason any of you can't.

22 and a student may mean not so much money, but it generally also means not too much responsibility. What else do you have to spend your money on anyway?

Any of the other big east schools fans wouldn't act like this.

Well, DePaul fans wouldn't even notice. Villanova's been jerking Temple around for a while. Georgetown wants no part of a game with Maryland. I'm not really sure there's much evidence to back up your claim on the rest.

LadyMuskie
08-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Some of you are pathetic excuses for fans. 1. If you can afford season tickets at Xavier, you can afford one game with the prices a little higher. 2. The players don't choose the ticket prices or venues, yet they are the ones being hurt the most by fans who won't go. 3. Its fucking Xavier basketball and the shootout. Go to the damn game and cheer like its the NCAA tourney. The process/reasoning behind the game moving downtown was more the reason why people are upset about it. Neutral court games for huge rivalries work out well most of the time. I think from the resources I have the game will be back on campus next yr but if not the environment downtown can be amazing if both teams fans come out. UC brought theirs while XU brought a sad backing thanks to people like some of you.

Sack up. Go to the game and cheer for our fuckin muskies. Im 22, a student without a serious job yet and if I can pony up the cash for some good seats no reason any of you can't. Any of the other big east schools fans wouldn't act like this.

Do us all a favor, and don't go broadcasting that you're a student at Xavier in posts like this one. It was a nightmare to read for a variety of reasons, and I'm worried it's going to devalue my degree if word gets out that this is what passes for an X student these days.

Kudos to Go for breaking this mess down and making it readable.

Kahns Krazy
08-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Thank you so much. I was lost all day without knowing where I stood in the fan ranking of a 22 year old with poor decision making skills.

I can afford a truck of manure, but I don't buy it. I have no interest in paying more for a ticket to a crappy arena to watch a high-minor conference team play my Muskies.

I'm glad for you that you choose to spend your money on things that you find of value.

mwildabeast
08-13-2013, 10:31 PM

Not sure if I'd go quite (or nearly) as far as to say anyone who doesn't go to this game is a "pathetic excuse for a fan," but it would be nice to see a better showing this year than there was last year.

Regardless of whether you dislike the fact that the game is being played at a neutral site (which we all can agree sUCks), you also have to acknowledge that this game is consistently in the national spotlight every year. I can see how a bad showing would reflect poorly on Xavier. Although I think it's ridiculous to judge a school based on their fan base at a basketball game, it's indisputable that people are quick to make assumptions about something from what they see (or don't see) on television.

nuts4xu
08-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Im 22, a student without a serious job yet and if I can pony up the cash for some good seats no reason any of you can't. Any of the other big east schools fans wouldn't act like this.

Ah, the troubles of a 22 year old...spend $75 on a ticket to one Xavier game, or to put that money towards the beer budget.

I agree, if you have the means the investment will be more than worth it. But there are a plethora of reason to not attend this game, and it may be difficult for some 22 year olds to have the perspective to realize why it wouldn't make sense.

Tardy Turtle
08-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I have been looking for some direction as to how to spend my time and money.

Thanks, tuclutch!

Milhouse
08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
As a 23 year old fan and recent grad I can guarantee you that $75 will look a lot more expensive next year when the loan payments come in and mommy and daddy aren't paying for rent and utilities anymore.

TUclutch
08-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Well that's not very nice.

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should buy it. Hopefully the Jesuits are teaching you that much.

I think the players will survive. They'll be playing in frong of a packed house in Cintas for just about every home game. They should feel plenty loved.

It's the fucking Shootout. Should never be downtown. It's not like the NCAA Tournament, and rivalry games on neutral courts kinda suck, honestly.

Sure hope your sources are right on that one.

The Shootout downtown will always suck. UC fans can have it. Xavier should drop it if downtown is the only option.

I mean, when you put it that way who WOULDN'T be persuaded?!?

22 and a student may mean not so much money, but it generally also means not too much responsibility. What else do you have to spend your money on anyway?

Well, DePaul fans wouldn't even notice. Villanova's been jerking Temple around for a while. Georgetown wants no part of a game with Maryland. I'm not really sure there's much evidence to back up your claim on the rest.

I go to a much better school than XU no offense. Just grew up a muskie basketball fan
Well I pay all of my rent utilities groceries cell phone bought a car and pay for the insurance/gas. I have a decent amount of responsibility.

Maybe I wrote that a little harshly, but its really annoying to see so many fans skip out on a big game because they don't have it on campus and the tickets are a little more expensive. I'm a huge Muskie bball fan and I just don't see how people are getting this worked up and boycotting a game. Is the arena nice like Cintas? No. Big deal. Its college basketball and we're all obviously college basketball fans.

GoMuskies
08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Its college basketball and we're all obviously college basketball fans.

We're all going to watch on TV, you know.

And no, that is not a decent amount of responsibility.

And congrats on going to "much better" school than XU. I'm with LM in being glad to see that you're not Xavier educated. Granted, we've still got to claim LH...

TUclutch
08-14-2013, 10:59 AM
That's a decent amount of responsibility for a college student. Overwhelming majority of kids I know don't pay for anything outside of beer.
Watching on TV is great and all if you don't have any means of going to the game. Hopefully our crowd isn't a sad size like it was last year. I don't know how my post on a message board calling out some fans makes me unworthy of a Xavier education, but you're entitled to your opinion.

GoMuskies
08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
That's a decent amount of responsibility for a college student.

Bolded part is important.

RealDeal
08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
[B]I go to a much better school than XU no offense.

Then get a serious job, no offense.

Milhouse
08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Well I pay all of my rent utilities groceries cell phone bought a car and pay for the insurance/gas. I have a decent amount of responsibility.

That's a lot of responsibility for a student that doesn't have a "serious" job. Sounds fishy to say the least.

I go to a much better school than XU no offense. Just grew up a muskie basketball fan

Honestly glad this kid didn't go to XU. Would like to think that my fellow alums are better people than how he is representing himself and whatever University he is from.

mwildabeast
08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
i go to a much better school than xu no offense.

nku?

Milhouse
08-14-2013, 11:48 AM
nku?

Sounds like a UD student to me.

PMI
08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Im 22, a student without a serious job yet and if I can pony up the cash for some good seats no reason any of you can't. Any of the other big east schools fans wouldn't act like this.

What are you talking about? Butler can't even fill it's own dump for big games half the time. You think DePaul fans would fill up the United Center to play Illinois? Hell, Georgetown plays at the Verizon Center and I've still never been there when it's full. Where exactly do you get off suggesting to your elders how they should spend their money? You really think the things you mentioned are the same kinds of responsibilities that real world adults deal with? In any case, I'm willing to guarantee that for the majority of people boycotting this game, money really isn't truly the issue. The rivalry has already been killed. No reason to pretend like it didn't happen.

On another note, I would never attend the game, but if I did, I would undoubtably be kicked out of the arena for heckling Mick Cronin. If I EVER see him, it is my promise that he will be mercilessly heckled.

mwildabeast
08-14-2013, 12:29 PM
The rivalry has already been killed. No reason to pretend like it didn't happen.

I'd hardly say the "rivalry has already been killed." When these games make it back to campus you'll see the same old intense, crazy atmosphere that you've always seen.

XUFan09
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
You really think the things you mentioned are the same kinds of responsibilities that real world adults deal with?

This question gets to the heart of it. As a 26-year-old married person, I find his claim to be a responsible adult based on those parameters amusing. There's so much more responsibility demanded of a person in the years after college than during college. And unlike TuClutch, I have enough perspective to appreciate the much greater level of responsibilities taken on by those older than me.

LadyMuskie
08-14-2013, 02:14 PM
I just don't see how people are getting this worked up

Says the person who flipped out, scolded all of us and called us pathetic excuses for fans.

TUclutch
08-14-2013, 04:40 PM
That doesn't make sense. I think you missed what I was getting at. 1. Im not the one who won't pony up the cash for a game. 2. I'll have a very good job come January. Not that worried about it. I don't have a serious job because I'm currently in school.

Thats fine though. Ill drop the topic. Have fun watching on TV. Go Muskies

PMI
08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
I'd hardly say the "rivalry has already been killed." When these games make it back to campus you'll see the same old intense, crazy atmosphere that you've always seen.

Well, yea, if they move it back to campus it will be great again. But as it stands now, it's been watered down to the point of embarrassment. The morons don't even call it The Shootout anymore. As a Xavier fan, I find the whole thing to be quite embarrassing.

PMI
08-14-2013, 04:52 PM
That doesn't make sense. I think you missed what I was getting at. 1. Im not the one who won't pony up the cash for a game. 2. I'll have a very good job come January. Not that worried about it. I don't have a serious job because I'm currently in school.

I don't think anyone missed what you were getting at, they just don't agree with you. That, and the fact that some adults tend to get rubbed the wrong way when a 22 year old attempts to enlighten them about real life responsibilities, how they should spend their money, and how they should support their college basketball team. But I'm sure you already knew that, what with all your wisdom...

chico
08-14-2013, 05:15 PM
That's a decent amount of responsibility for a college student. Overwhelming majority of kids I know don't pay for anything outside of beer.
Watching on TV is great and all if you don't have any means of going to the game. Hopefully our crowd isn't a sad size like it was last year. I don't know how my post on a message board calling out some fans makes me unworthy of a Xavier education, but you're entitled to your opinion.

With any luck in 20 years your 42 year old self will find this post and mock the hell out of it.

bjf123
08-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Some of you are pathetic excuses for fans. 1. If you can afford season tickets at Xavier, you can afford one game with the prices a little higher.
Not necessarily. I spent most of last year unemployed, so renewing my tickets was not easy. I started a new job with a great company earlier this year, but I'm making 60% of what I was in 2007. Paying an extra $150 for something that should be in my season ticket package is something I can't really afford.

Milhouse
08-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Just do us a favor and don't wear Xavier gear when you're being a complete idiot.

Wouldn't want anyone to get the impression you're a graduate of institution. Especially since you went to a much better one.

Kahns Krazy
08-15-2013, 08:21 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are an accounting major at Miami. I've met enough of them to recognize the attitude. I suggest you check it at the door when you start interacting with clients. It will go a long way in your career.

GoMuskies
08-15-2013, 08:28 AM
It would be pretty amusing if he claimed to go to a LOT better school than Xavier, and it turns out he goes to friggin Miami of Ohio.

nuts4xu
08-15-2013, 10:36 AM
If anyone can pick out a Miami of Oxford student, it is Kahns Krazy... one of the greatest message board posters to ever graduate from Miami!

paulxu
08-15-2013, 01:38 PM
If anyone can pick out a Miami of Oxford student, it is Kahns Krazy... one of the greatest message board posters to ever graduate from Miami!

My faith in mankind is seriously shaken.

TUclutch
08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are an accounting major at Miami. I've met enough of them to recognize the attitude. I suggest you check it at the door when you start interacting with clients. It will go a long way in your career.

Wrong on my major and school.

As for the game:
Is anyone going to the game? Most in here seem not to be? Is it really because its downtown? I think the atmosphere can be awesome if we bring a good crowd. Having huge crowds from both schools can be fun. Obviously I prefer it on campus but if its not might as make the best of it

RealDeal
08-15-2013, 01:56 PM

dayton and communications?

TUclutch
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
No. Im not going to disclose my school on here. I wouldnt have even brought it up had someone not said I wasn't worthy to graduate from XU because I posted a jerk message on a forum.

If anyone wants to answer my other questions about the game I'll look back later

GoMuskies
08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Ohio State/AIDS Awareness?

paulxu
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Listen son, it's all well and good to be passionate about Xavier basketball. I'd probably go to the game if I lived in Cincinnati.
But, every fan is entitled to his/her own approach to supporting the team.

However, if you come onto a message board, proclaim to be a fan of the school, then say you went to a better school than Xavier (although you still say you are a Muskie fan),and won't say what the name of this "better" school is...well, that just puts you in the jerk category. If the school is so much better, you should be proud of your association and not afraid to say it. Wake up.

Milhouse
08-15-2013, 02:44 PM

As for the game:
Is anyone going to the game? Most in here seem not to be? Is it really because its downtown? I think the atmosphere can be awesome if we bring a good crowd. Having huge crowds from both schools can be fun. Obviously I prefer it on campus but if its not might as make the best of it

I think everyone already shared their thoughts on if they're going to the game and why or why not. It was before you called all of bad fans, insinuated that you knew everyone's financial situation, and then proclaimed you went to a much better school than all of us...yet don't have enough pride in said school to represent.

Muskie1000
08-15-2013, 02:58 PM
What I seriously think is a crime is the amount that they charge for these seats. Even if I wanted to go, the price is ridiculous. I will be first to admit, we sit in the cheap seats - but the cheap seats for the shoot out is almost twice as much as I pay per seat now. They want us to go, then they should have seats more affordable or at least in the ranges we pay now.

LadyMuskie
08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
No. Im not going to disclose my school on here. I wouldnt have even brought it up had someone not said I wasn't worthy to graduate from XU because I posted a jerk message on a forum.

If anyone wants to answer my other questions about the game I'll look back later

My school's better than your school, but shhhhh it's a secret!

Oh! Oh! I know. Is it Hogwarts? Is that why you won't tell us?

X-band '01
08-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Don't insult Hogwarts like that, Lady. You should be ashamed of yourself.

PMI
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Seriously, I have no problem with somebody saying they went to a better school than Xavier. But if you "can't disclose" what it is, what the hell is the point of bringing it up? Other than wanting to sound like a douche.

TUclutch
08-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Like I said. Only brought it up after someone thought to say I wasn't worthy of graduating from XU because of one post on a forum. Was it a jerk post? Probably a little bit. Just frustrated to see so many people who won't go to a game for so many trivial reasons.

Milhouse
08-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Like I said. Only brought it up after someone thought to say I wasn't worthy of graduating from XU because of one post on a forum. Was it a jerk post? Probably a little bit. Just frustrated to see so many people who won't go to a game for so many trivial reasons.

I don't think anyone said you're not worthy. I know I said I'm glad you didn't.

No one is under the illusion that Xavier is Ivy League here, still a great school and I turned down "better" schools or harder schools to get into to come to X and couldn't be happier with that decision.

X-man
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM

"Trivial" in your (well-educated) mind only, my son. There are many of us here who are long time fans and supporters of the program who don't consider the move to the dump downtown, one that was orchestrated by the YTG because he was tired of losing to X and figured his chances of winning the Shootout would be better if the game was played in a "neutral" venue every year, to be a "trivial" one. That move was odious for not just that reason though; this game needs to be played on campus because the passion and tradition for the Shootout depend on it. Less important, but just as odious, is the fact that the game is no longer part of a season ticket package and features ticket prices far higher than the downtown dump deserves. My advice to you, sonny, is to go back and finish your degree at whatever mystery school you are matriculated in. And then, GROW UP and try to develop some empathy for those who feel differently about this topic than you do.

nuts4xu
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Best wishes in your life after college. It ain't easy going through life as a complete and total douche. You will struggle....

chico
08-16-2013, 10:44 AM

Are you sweet16's son, by chance?

TUclutch
08-16-2013, 10:55 AM
No, I am not.
As for Nuts, i think I will be fine. I'm a pretty good people person in real life and can adjust to get along to certain people. No too worried about it on a message board.

Milhouse
08-16-2013, 11:49 AM
No, I am not.
As for Nuts, i think I will be fine. I'm a pretty good people person in real life and can adjust to get along to certain people. No too worried about it on a message board.

Welp a person's real personality comes out with anonymity behind a computer screen. Just remember that.

TUclutch
08-16-2013, 03:20 PM
I'll do that

Xavier
08-17-2013, 12:50 PM
It would be hilarious if the "better school" he goes to is actually Miami. I don't think he actually goes to a better school (if any at all)- if so why would he be so embarrassed to tell us what school it is? I am going to be at the game but don't care too much if there is a big Xavier crowd or not. I would rather win conference games than an OOC W over a mid-major....:biggrin:

Kahns Krazy
08-18-2013, 10:40 PM

As for the game:

Care to explain this post of yours from earlier this year?

You're a fool. I go to Miami but Im a diehard XU fan. People don't, and shouldnt, pick where to go to college based on a team they like.

You are an embarrassment to my alma mater.

TUclutch
08-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Not where I go anymore. That was undergrad. Semantics? Sure. But also true.
Love how easy it was to add fuel to the fire by calling out fans upset over a game.Carry on with your lives. Im certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. I know I'll be supporting the team at the game.

Milhouse
08-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Not where I go anymore. That was undergrad. Semantics? Sure. But also true.
Love how easy it was to add fuel to the fire by calling out fans upset over a game.Carry on with your lives. Im certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. I know I'll be supporting the team at the game.

But you said you are 22 and will be graduating in December correct? So we're supposed to believe that you're graduating from GRAD school mid year at 22?

Just give it up kid. You tried to lie on the internet and failed.

Xavier
08-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Wow. He really does go to Miami, that's hysterical. Better school....classic stuff, classic Miami student. Good find by Khans, and great call out by Milhouse.

X-man
08-19-2013, 10:04 AM
But you said you are 22 and will be graduating in December correct? So we're supposed to believe that you're graduating from GRAD school mid year at 22?

Priceless!!!

Kahns Krazy
08-19-2013, 02:39 PM

That's why he can't disclose it. It's one of those ultra-secret 6 month Masters programs. If he tells you, you tell someone else, pretty soon, the entire post-graduate education system is in shambles.

nuts4xu
08-19-2013, 03:26 PM
That's why he can't disclose it. It's one of those ultra-secret 6 month Masters programs. If he tells you, you tell someone else, pretty soon, the entire post-graduate education system is in shambles.

So it is like Phoenix or some online university? I had no idea those schools were better than Xavier!

blueblob06
08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
So it is like Phoenix or some online university? I had no idea those schools were better than Xavier!

Better is an understatement. Forget academics, look for Phoenix in the Final Four this year. Heard that Manti Teo's gf is a hell of a point guard and The Invisible Man is unstoppable in the post.

Kahns Krazy
08-20-2013, 08:38 AM
It's tough to field a team when you turn over the entire student population every six months. Recruiting is a bitch at secret no-name school.

PMI
08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Wow. What a tool.