PDA

View Full Version : Hard Knocks 2013

Jumpy
08-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Can't believe no one created a thread about this yet. Guess I have to come out of retirement to do it myself.

Who watched the first episode last night? If nothing else it got me excited for the season to start. A couple of observations from the first episode:

- Tyler Eifert looks bigger in camp than he did when playing for Notre Dame. From what I've seen of him on the show and at camp personally, I think this kid could be the offensive weapon that everyone was hoping Gresham would be. Can't wait to see him play in a real game.
- Giovani Bernard also looks good for a rookie. They highlighted his ability a lot last night and it converted me to cautiously optomistic about his NFL future. If he is really as elusive as they made him out to be in the show, there's a possibility he becomes more than just a third down RB.
- It was good to see the training staff take a strong stance in making Marvin Jones sit out practice after his head injury. Hopefully that wasn't just for the cameras and all of the NFL staffs are treating concussions much more cautiously.
- James Harrison and Gino Atkins are two scary men, but are polar opposites when it comes to personality. Harrison is douchetastic to the core and could prove to do more harm in the locker room than good on the field. His exchange with Gruden on the sideline about not hurting AJ Green was ridiculous. You could see Gruden withering like a flower when Harrison started getting annoyed. Atkins, on the other hand, seems like a genuinely good guy and good teammate.
- The Larry Black scene was one of the more emotional scenes I've seen on Hard Knocks. Take that for what it is worththough, because I've only seen about half of the seasons.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Xaveriana
08-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Loved it. Excited about talent and the season.

Porkopolis
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I just watched the first episode this morning with my coffee and really enjoyed it. This team has real promise.

nkymuskie
08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I plan on finding a stream online somewhere once I get home from work. I'll toss my 2 cents in then.

bobbiemcgee
08-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Bernard and the MiniVan- hilarious. Best laugh for me:

Tyler : "Hey, I'm Tyler"
Andre : "Roll Tide"

waggy
08-07-2013, 12:59 PM
I didn't see it.

I hope they keep Bernard fresh for the second half of the season. I don't if that's realistic/possible.

James Harrison worries me. If his play results in penalties that cost yardage, is his presence an overall positive. The Steelers let him go for a reason.

Juice
08-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Bernard and the MiniVan- hilarious. Best laugh for me:

Tyler : "Hey, I'm Tyler"
Andre : "Roll Tide"

That was good. I also enjoyed the Taylor Mays sequence when he kept asking questions about super powers.

gladdenguy
08-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I never wanted the episode to end. It was an hour but it seemed to go so fast. Definitely worth the $15 a month for August.

Jumpy
08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Funny story: the guy who's box truck was hit by Vontaze Burfict was my cousin.

Muskie
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I for whatever reason can't get into hard knocks. I've tried multiple seasons and I just can't get into it.

waggy
08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
You play to win the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY0Za7JKEnw

bobbiemcgee
08-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I never wanted the episode to end. It was an hour but it seemed to go so fast. Definitely worth the $15 a month for August.

I watched it here:

http://www.hbo.com/hard-knocks/index.html#/hard-knocks/episodes/cincinnati-bengals/1-episode/video/episode-1-full.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA==

waggy
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I watched it here:

http://www.hbo.com/hard-knocks/index.html#/hard-knocks/episodes/cincinnati-bengals/1-episode/video/episode-1-full.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA==

Thanks for this Bobbie.

LadyMuskie
08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
- James Harrison and Gino Atkins are two scary men, but are polar opposites when it comes to personality. Harrison is douchetastic to the core and could prove to do more harm in the locker room than good on the field. His exchange with Gruden on the sideline about not hurting AJ Green was ridiculous. You could see Gruden withering like a flower when Harrison started getting annoyed. Atkins, on the other hand, seems like a genuinely good guy and good teammate.

The exchange between Gruden and Harrison pissed me off frankly. I'm not saying the players should bow down to the coaches, but damn, that helped to explain some of the problems the Bengals seem to experience year in and year out. I totally agree that Harrison could wind up being a locker room problem.

On a side note, maybe it's just me, but Gruden looks like Val Kilmer and Cary Elwes had a love child.

waggy
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Funny story: the guy who's box truck was hit by Vontaze Burfict was my cousin.

I was wondering what course they were playing, you know?

SlimKibbles
08-07-2013, 11:45 PM
I was wondering what course they were playing, you know?

I think they showed the entrance to Clovernook before that scene.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Loved it. I'm a huge fan of Hardknocks and seeing the Bengals on again was great.

I can see Eifert being a huge factor this season as another offensive option, towards the end of the season he could even be #2. He definitely put some weight on, and was just severely underused at ND last year.

Made the city look great too which is always nice.

JTG
08-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Just a tip....Hard Knocks only features disfunctional f'ed up franchises....your Cincinnati Bengals, being a two time candidate...notice it's never New England, or the Giants, or Colts.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Just a tip....Hard Knocks only features disfunctional f'ed up franchises....your Cincinnati Bengals, being a two time candidate...notice it's never New England, or the Giants, or Colts.

The Ravens and the Cowboys are what exactly?

bobbiemcgee
08-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Yeah, how 'bout a lighthearted discussion of Hernandez and Burress.

Jumpy
08-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Clovernook Country Club.

JTG
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM

2 words Jerry Jones...worst owner in NFL

nuts4xu
08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
The exchange between Gruden and Harrison pissed me off frankly. I'm not saying the players should bow down to the coaches, but damn, that helped to explain some of the problems the Bengals seem to experience year in and year out. I totally agree that Harrison could wind up being a locker room problem.

That kind of exchange happens between coaches and players in the NFL all the time. These are grown men earning a pay check for their work, not college kids who have to say "yes sir" to every word the coach has to say.

Harrison has some attitude, and as Marvin stated, he wants to kick ass at everything. They picked him up for that specific reason, and I am not at all worried about his affect on the Bengals locker room.

He has an edge to him, and that defense needs some of that moxie in the huddle.

paulxu
08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
http://katchop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gruden-vs-chucky-copy.jpg

Smails
08-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Yes..because New England is completely void of dysfunction....spygate...Aaron Hernandez...Wes Welker busting up Belechick to the media

Juice
08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes..because New England is completely void of dysfunction....spygate...Aaron Hernandez...Wes Welker busting up Belechick to the media

You've obviously never heard of the "Patriot way"

PMI
08-08-2013, 11:04 AM

If the Cowboys aren't a fucked up, dysfunctional franchise, I'm not sure any exist.

xavierj
08-08-2013, 11:40 AM
If the Cowboys aren't a fucked up, dysfunctional franchise, I'm not sure any exist.

I think you can pretty much lump Dan Snider in with Jerry Jones. Guy just comes off as a know it all prick.

GoMuskies
08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I think you can pretty much lump Dan Snider in with Jerry Jones. Guy just comes off as a know it all prick.

Minus three Super Bowl wins, of course.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 12:17 PM

I was talking more along the lines of successful as that seemed to be what he was referring too. "Good teams dont do hard knocks"

PMI
08-08-2013, 12:25 PM

I could care less if Dan Snyder is a prick. Everyone knows he is. But you cannot possibly argue that the Redskins franchise is in a more dysfunctional state than the Cowboys. And I say this as someone who has lived most of my life with the Skins in a dysfunctional state. It's nice that the prick is learning how to let people do their jobs finally.

Minus three Super Bowl wins, of course.

I think you're mistaking, which is understandable since you haven't watched the NFL since the early 90s. See, Jerry Jones was actually the one who has three rings, not to be mistaken with the corpse of Jerry Jones, who owned has owned the team over the past decade.

I was talking more along the lines of successful as that seemed to be what he was referring too. "Good teams dont do hard knocks"

That's exactly what I'm referring to as well. The Cowboys are not a good team. They're a team with absolutely no depth, no coaching, no leadership, and a quarterback who is a living example of the definition of insanity. And they're getting older. Now when they did Hard Knocks, they had a bit more promise, but they still finished 3rd in the division and missed the playoffs. I would not quantify that as a good team.

X-band '01
08-08-2013, 12:51 PM
The combo of Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones was a perfect one - neither one was as successful in the long run without the other after Johnson left in 1993. At least Barry Switzer had enough pieces to win one in 1995.

PMI
08-08-2013, 01:22 PM
The combo of Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones was a perfect one - neither one was as successful in the long run without the other after Johnson left in 1993. At least Barry Switzer had enough pieces to win one in 1995.

I think the real problem (not really a problem, just the universe restoring to its correct order) is that Jerry wants no part of winning unless he can be hands on and do it himself. Snyder used to have the same problem but has finally acknowledged that it wouldn't work. But Jerry truly believes he is still some brilliant football mind. The guy still doesn't know what an offensive line is. Like seriously, he's never even heard the term. Yet he still insists on making all the calls, which is why the last two coaches he's hired have been puppets who are willing to take their paycheck and let him run his show. The other thing that most in the media don't get is that the Cowboys are nowhere near as talented as they're hyped up to be. They have some good players, but there's no depth and Romo will always be Romo. The roster is, at best, the third most talented in the NFC East. Jerry always goes for the first round splash, and get a very talented skill guy. It's nice, because they have some good skill players, but when you have no offensive line and no depth on the defensive line, those skill guys can only do so much. And when you have a human turnover machine running the offense, they can do less. It's nice that we can finally live in a time period, again, when the Redskins are good and the Cowboys are bad. I think we can all dance to that.

RealDeal
08-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Quick, name the homophobic idiot coach who thought his all pro QB was gay. Hilarious.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
That's exactly what I'm referring to as well. The Cowboys are not a good team. They're a team with absolutely no depth, no coaching, no leadership, and a quarterback who is a living example of the definition of insanity. And they're getting older. Now when they did Hard Knocks, they had a bit more promise, but they still finished 3rd in the division and missed the playoffs. I would not quantify that as a good team.

Sorry I misspoke not meaning a good team but a good franchise. Still an incredibly powerful franchise in terms of revenue etc...Do they still have the all time record for wins?

No I agree their current state is laughable and a far cry form what it used to be.

PMI
08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Sorry I misspoke not meaning a good team but a good franchise. Still an incredibly powerful franchise in terms of revenue etc...Do they still have the all time record for wins?

No I agree their current state is laughable and a far cry form what it used to be.

They are definitely powerful in terms of revenue. But, as a Skins fan, I can tell you that when you suck, the fans don't really care how much the owner is making. Dan Snyder has bounced around from having the first to third most valuable sports franchise in the world in his tenure as Redskins owner, and the team sucked that whole time and everyone has hated him. Now that things are turning around, people will start to love him (because as big of a douche as he is, at least he still cares and is willing to spend and step aside to win.) But other than revenue, which is natural for the most bandwagon team in sports to have, the Cowboys franchise does not have much going for it currently. I would agree that they're a tremendous draw for a show like Hard Knocks though. It's hard to find a more polarizing team, so people will either tune in because they love them or hate them.

As for all time wins, I'm positive that the Cowboys have never had that distinction. Not even remotely close really. They've only been around since 1960. It's got to be the Packers or Bears or some team like that. The Skins have been around since 1932 so they're probably top 5 or so, but they've had a couple 20 year periods of sucking so I'd go with Green Bay if I had to guess. Giants are probably up there too.

nuts4xu
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
The Skins have been around since 1932 so they're probably top 5 or so, but they've had a couple 20 year periods of sucking so I'd go with Green Bay if I had to guess. Giants are probably up there too.

Well you got 3 out of 5 correct, nice work. You win nothing however...

Most Wins (reg and post season combined)
Bears - 739
Packers - 720
NY Giants - 678
Steelers - 599
Redskins - 585

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/win-loss_records.aspx

xavierj
08-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Quick, name the homophobic idiot coach who thought his all pro QB was gay. Hilarious.

I am drawing a blank.

bobbiemcgee
08-08-2013, 02:55 PM
You've obviously never heard of the "Patriot way"

There's been 661 arrests of NFL players since 2000. The Pats finished 10th. We ain't talking choir boys.

PMI
08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Well you got 3 out of 5 correct, nice work. You win nothing however...

Most Wins (reg and post season combined)
Bears - 739
Packers - 720
NY Giants - 678
Steelers - 599
Redskins - 585

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/win-loss_records.aspx

Looks like I was missing the Steelers. But lots of their wins came in the AFL so I'm giving myself a 100%. But definitely not the goddamn Cowboys.

Not trying to rag on you Milhouse, I just really, really despise that contemptible organization.

Milhouse
08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Looks like I was missing the Steelers. But lots of their wins came in the AFL so I'm giving myself a 100%. But definitely not the goddamn Cowboys.

Not trying to rag on you Milhouse, I just really, really despise that contemptible organization.

Understandable. I'm not a fan either, just don't like the randomness of seemingly so many cowboy fans not having an ties to area/team etc...

GoMuskies
08-08-2013, 04:32 PM
just don't like the randomness of seemingly so many cowboy fans not having an ties to area/team etc...

Totally

X-band '01
08-08-2013, 07:30 PM

The Steelers weren't part of the AFL; they just moved to the AFC with the Browns and Colts with the 1970s merger. It's scary to think how bad they were in their first 3 decades of existence; otherwise they'd be giving the top 3 a run for their money in total wins.

waggy
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Josh Johnson should start! Bench the ginger!

waggy
08-08-2013, 07:53 PM
And whoever is playing right tackle right now should be waived.

bobbiemcgee
08-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Sanzenbacher‎!!!!

Kahns Krazy
08-09-2013, 09:20 AM
I would have liked to see Dalton make a couple of those precise passes they are showing from practice in the game last night, and there were a couple plays that the 1st string D got burnt pretty bad, but overall, I'm pretty happy at this point.

I keep kind of chuckling that they are talking about a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game in over 20 years being a potential super bowl team this year, but I like the goal. I like the way Dalton says it - we need to get back to the playoffs, and we need to be playing our best in the playoffs.

Did anyone else watch that horrible channel 5 thing before the game?

waggy
08-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Burkhead had 52 yards on 9 carries, and another pretty long one called back on a holding call I think.

I could see this guy getting the ball a lot.

boozehound
08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Kyle Cook did a horrible job early in the game at the Center position. I hope that they can get the position figured out this year. It's tough to be a top tier team without a good center.

Overall I liked what I saw though. First team looked kind of rusty and like they didn't really give a shit, but it's the preseason.

nuts4xu
08-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Another great episode. It is a damn shame Hawkins is hurt right now but glad to see the other receivers making strides.

James Harrison is a beast and will surely make a difference on this defense. I also like Margus Hunt a lot. Dude is a freak of nature and I think he will be a handful for offensive lineman to block.

Jumpy
08-14-2013, 05:37 PM
It looks like Hunt has a lot of potential, but doesn't understand how to finish plays yet. He's very raw still, so hopefully he gets the idea that he has to go 100% at all times sooner rather than later.

Milhouse
08-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Culturally he seemed pretty adjusted, but I guess he's been in the states for 4 years going to school. Seems like he could be a big difference maker if they stick with him.

PMI
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
LaVar Arrington hosts an awful radio show with some local hack here. He picked the "Bingles" to go to the Super Bowl. Sorry guys, I guess there's always next year.

PM Thor
08-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I absolutely despise Mike Brown, with all of my heart.

But this series is pretty awesome. It's great to see the insight. And yeah, that Pittsburgh fuck who got cut is a bad mofo. The Bengals need a leader like that. I can't remember the last time they had that.