PDA

View Full Version : MSG Is Moving

xubrew
07-25-2013, 09:09 AM
I didn't have much nostalgia for it before. I will have even less for it once it moves. I'm not dead set on having the conference tournament in MSG, especially if MSG really isn't MSG.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/city-council-votes-overwhelmingly-move-madison-square-garden-midtown-site-10-years-article-1.1408251

Muskie
07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I didn't have much nostalgia for it before. I will have even less for it once it moves. I'm not dead set on having the conference tournament in MSG, especially if MSG really isn't MSG.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/city-council-votes-overwhelmingly-move-madison-square-garden-midtown-site-10-years-article-1.1408251

How does one relocate an arena?

ammtd34
07-25-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm assuming it will be like Wembley Stadium. It's a brand new stadium called Wembley, but really having nothing to do with the original Wembley.

Muskie
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming it will be like Wembley Stadium. It's a brand new stadium called Wembley, but really having nothing to do with the original Wembley.

Somehow I suspect a "new" MSG will not appeal to the likes of Spike Lee or Senator Monihan.

GoMuskies
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Very carefully

Xaveriana
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3747/9366797358_81cb1f3422_b.jpg

jdm2000
07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Since this MSG is not in the same location where the original MSG was, I don't have any problem with it (nor will I somehow have any less nostalgia for it). The real shame is that they destroyed Penn Station and replaced it with the current Penn and MSG on top.

vee4xu
07-25-2013, 07:12 PM
The MSG issue pales in comparison to the massive Midtown Manhattan rezoning going on. Check out the front page of today's NY Times. Also, there is a huge redevelopment of Hudson Yards, a 26 acre site not too far north of MSG. The only remaining frontier in Manhattan is the west side. That is why all of this hubbub about MSG. it is part of the city's grand plan along with rezoning and Hudson yards to unlock new development opportunities.

xubrew
07-26-2013, 09:22 AM
The MSG issue pales in comparison to the massive Midtown Manhattan rezoning going on. Check out the front page of today's NY Times. Also, there is a huge redevelopment of Hudson Yards, a 26 acre site not too far north of MSG. The only remaining frontier in Manhattan is the west side. That is why all of this hubbub about MSG. it is part of the city's grand plan along with rezoning and Hudson yards to unlock new development opportunities.

I don't know enough about New York to have even the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.

PM Thor
07-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Vee's right, the money influx to redo parts of Manhattan is utterly mind boggling. I'm pretty concerned about where MSG is going to get the land, money, and backing to put the new venue on the island. It's a very big concern, especially with the decade threat. It means that land developers know that MSG only has a very short window in order to find a new spot, thus driving up costs signifigantly. It's not good.

GuyFawkes38
07-29-2013, 06:52 AM
I have a feeling MSG won't be moving.

If MSG management really believed they would have to move, I don't think they would put a billion dollars into its renovation.

This ESPN article provides some context:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/47390/5-things-to-know-about-msg-relocation

WHEN DO THE KNICKS AND MSG HAVE TO LEAVE? There's no guarantee -- at this point -- that they will ever be forced to move from the current site. MSG's special permit that allows them to operate an arena that has more than 2,500 seats will expire in 10 years.

When it expires, the Garden can reapply for another permit. Traditionally, they would have to go through the city planning department and the city council to do so. Quinn has suggested that any change to the permit would require full public review and Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULUP).

It's worth noting that the current council members voted 49-1 to limit the Garden's permit, but there's no way to predict how future council members would vote. Ten years from now, there will be different members who may take a different stance on this land use issue.

HAS MSG BEEN ASKED TO MOVE TO ACCOMMODATE PENN STATION BEFORE? Yes. The restoration of Penn Station has been talked about for nearly 20 years. It's been a challenge for the various entities involved here to come together and form a plan. The Garden actually explored a move to the Farley Building across the street recently as part of a new vision for a revitalized Penn Station. But that vision fell apart due to lack of funding.

jdm2000
08-02-2013, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't bet on it. NYC (and especially Manhattan) is not like other places when it comes to sports arenas. They won't bend over backwards for MSG if they think it is stifling development (and transportation for millions of residents) in its current location. What is MSG going to do, threaten to move the Knicks and Rangers to another city? Of course not. They can threaten to move to an arena in another borough, and I don't think that people in Manhattan will have a problem with that. After all, aren't the Rangers and Knicks the only teams left still playing in Manhattan? The Yankees (Bronx), Mets (Queens), Nets (Brooklyn), Islanders (Long Island, soon to be Brooklyn (I think)), Jets (New Jersey), and Giants (New Jersey) all play outside of Manhattan already.

As for them not moving because they've put a bunch of money into MSG--well, to the extent that you are implying that the Dolans and/or MSG/Knicks management is too savvy to have done that, I would say that I disagree.