PDA

View Full Version : One More Year: Enjoy it

gladdenguy
07-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Nice article about Semaj. One more year. Enjoy watching THE most talented point guard to ever wear a Xavier uni.

http://deveroessummerleague.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/semaj-christon-cincys-own-musketeer/

Muskie
07-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Next Year's draft is supposedly loaded. I'm not saying this isn't his last year, but I'm not sure it's the foregone conclusion everyone thinks it is. Possible that Semaj has a great year and has fun? Sure. Maybe he'll want to come back. (See David West; See Tim Duncan).

blueblob06
07-24-2013, 08:46 AM
If for some reason (like XU is the best place ever and he can't bear to leave it!), Semaj returns for his JR year, I'd say that that year's team could end up being the most talented (not best necessarily) team in XU history.

ballyhoohoo
07-24-2013, 08:54 AM
University of Purdue. Hmm. Never heard of it.

PMI
07-24-2013, 09:12 AM
I think anyone who doesn't accept that it's a foregone conclusion that Semaj is gone after this year is setting themselves up for disappointment. I, for one, am going to enjoy the show.

Muskie
07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I think anyone who doesn't accept that it's a foregone conclusion that Semaj is gone after this year is setting themselves up for disappointment. I, for one, am going to enjoy the show.

Maybe he'll be like Marcus Smart at Okie State?

XUFan09
07-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Maybe he'll be like Marcus Smart at Okie State?

There's a big difference between staying for one's sophomore year after being one of the top prospects in the draft and staying for one's junior year after (probably) being a first round pick. The risk of one's stock plummeting is much lower for the former.

EDIT: By "plummeting," I mean the point that one is not selected in the first round, where there is a guaranteed contract. With how loaded the 2014 draft is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Smart drops from the top 5, where he was projected in the 2013 draft.

STL_XUfan
07-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Nevermind. I apparently can't read.

Milhouse
07-24-2013, 10:53 AM
NBA drafts almost entirely on potential. a 6' 3" athletic point guard has a ton of potential. Short of an injury I think he's gone.

smileyy
07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
This was updated about 2 weeks ago...Semaj as #6 pick:

http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

And yes, I've heard this draft is loaded too -- with both team-changers like Wiggins, but also future All-Stars deeper in the lottery. I like that Semaj is part of this draft being loaded.

Xavier
07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
He is as good as gone. That would make three of Xaviers players leave early for the draft lately (Brown/Crawford/Semaj) a trend that I hope continues.

GoMuskies
07-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I hope he finds his jumper at Xavier and not while he's in the NBA. He is already very, very good, of course, but when he adds a consistent jumper he'll be lethal.

paulxu
07-24-2013, 04:36 PM
And good left hand on the layups.

Damn we could have a really good team this year if Vez comes and Reynolds is ready to fulfill his promise.

Smooth
07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
And good left hand on the layups.

Damn we could have a really good team this year if Vez comes and Reynolds is ready to fulfill his promise.

I haven't been impressed with his left hand on the dribble. Hopefully either that gets better or I just saw him on a bad day or 2 or 10.

GIMMFD
07-25-2013, 02:00 AM
But seriously, if Semaj gets a jumper, this team could actually be pretty damn good. It's nice that Jalen has put on some weight too, we have good depth creating competitions for each player, and that can't do anything but help. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Sweet 16 run, and hopefully more. this team rides on Semaj though, however he plays this season will dictate our team. With a 17 ppg 7ast year, he will be gone, which I don't really mind because it adds more exposure to the program.

ammtd34
07-25-2013, 07:24 AM
I haven't been impressed with his left hand on the dribble. Hopefully either that gets better or I just saw him on a bad day or 2 or 10.

That only really matters if his right hand can be stopped. No one has been able to stop it so far.

Ginobili never goes right but still gets to the bucket. Even though everyone knows it's coming, they can't stop it.

Milhouse
07-25-2013, 07:25 AM
I think he's gone even with 15 and 6 or so. He'll have more offensive weapons this year but I also think he'll make better decision. Look for his shots per game to go down but made shots per game to go up. I've heard his left hand has been in use a lot more this summer. Sounds like he's working on jumpshots but hasn't really shown much in that way at Deveroes. But then again he's a man amongst boys in the majority of those games....

kyxu
07-25-2013, 08:17 AM
I think he's gone even with 15 and 6 or so. He'll have more offensive weapons this year but I also think he'll make better decision. Look for his shots per game to go down but made shots per game to go up. I've heard his left hand has been in use a lot more this summer. Sounds like he's working on jumpshots but hasn't really shown much in that way at Deveroes. But then again he's a man amongst boys in the majority of those games....

Another important factor to consider is that he is the oldest of 10 children, so he probably wants to take care of his family as soon as possible. Also, he'll be 21 by next June's draft, which is not all that young by today's draft standards.

Here's to a monster year for Semaj, yielding a great Xavier season and a high draft pick.

Milhouse
07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Another important factor to consider is that he is the oldest of 10 children, so he probably wants to take care of his family as soon as possible. Also, he'll be 21 by next June's draft, which is not all that young by today's draft standards.

Here's to a monster year for Semaj, yielding a great Xavier season and a high draft pick.

Here's also to hoping for more Christions at Xavier to continue the legacy in years coming.

vee4xu
07-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Hey, after last year I'll take anything good, be it short term or long term. I just need something good to erase that memory of last year. I'll worry about next year, next year.

GIMMFD
07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Hey, after last year I'll take anything good, be it short term or long term. I just need something good to erase that memory of last year. I'll worry about next year, next year.

I think it's gonna be a pretty damn good year, I really think this team has some good pieces.. might be my bias though.

crolfes12
07-25-2013, 08:22 PM
If Semaj leaves, that would end our phenomenal graduate streak

muskiefan82
07-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Incorrect. The streak refers only to seniors - not players who leave early. Every senior who was on the team has graduated.

ThrowDownDBrown
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM

You thought Crawford graduated? Lol

Juice
07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
The Big Lead did a list of the 50 best college basketball players for this coming season. And there was no mention of Semaj. I know The Big Lead isn't the leading authority on college basketball, but Christ. Even Sean Kilpatrick was mentioned in the honorable mention section.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/26/top-50-players-in-college-basketball-for-2013-2014/

waggy
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
The Big Lead

Well there goes their credibility. Oh wait, I didn't even know they existed until you posted it. Probably belongs in the smack thread.