Nocalmuskie
07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
..still no deal with Time Warner

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/07/15/Media/FS1.aspx

casualfan
07-15-2013, 09:30 PM
..still no deal with Time Warner

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/07/15/Media/FS1.aspx

This would suck hard if a deal doesn't get done.

muskienick
07-16-2013, 06:02 AM
This would suck hard if a deal doesn't get done.

The deal will eventually get done. FOX and Time-Warner simply have to "rattle their swords" against one another for a while in an effort to appear to be the party who is actually fighting for the welfare of their customers (when neither is actually doing that --- each wants the best deal for self!).

coasterville95
07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
IF Fox Sports 1 pick sup enough major sporting events (isn't Xavier Basketball enough) - they will be over a barrel to add Fox Sports 1 or else they will lose a lot of accounts with bars, restaurants, hotels, and other businesses that like to offer their customers sports programming. Much less all the residential customers.

XU has to have some idea after the Tiem Warner Sports Channel fiasco about how many fans use each provider.

(interesting anecdote - know a guy that works in business accounts at time warner - evidently the standard bar package does not include stuff like TruTV - usually not a big deal as bars don't typically want to show what TruTV offers. Until the first week of March Madness. Then every bar was calling frantically trying to purchase the channel.

xubrew
07-16-2013, 10:00 AM
From the article....

The fact that so many deals are open a month before a network launch is not unusual in the cable industry. Typically, carriage deals like FS1’s get finalized in the days leading up to or just after a channel’s launch

We've seen this before. It royally sucks, but chances are, at about 10:30pm on August 16th, a deal will be struck. It is in the best interest of both sides to strike a deal.

Then again....we still haven't seen one with the Pac Twelve Network. Not on DirecTV anyway.

Not getting a deal done would be stupid, but you never want to underestimate the power of stupidity in this world.

casualfan
07-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Last year I went down to visit a buddy in Louisville. The Reds were the national FOX game that week. After about 20 minutes of flipping through his menu multiple times and passing every fox iteration other than regular FOX a girl came by and said that FOX and their cable provider had a dispute over price so they they no longer get FOX.

My point is that if FOX is willing to withhold their flagship station from subscribers because of a price dispute I'm sure they'll have no problem holding things up on the sports channel.

xubrew
07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Last year I went down to visit a buddy in Louisville. The Reds were the national FOX game that week. After about 20 minutes of flipping through his menu multiple times and passing every fox iteration other than regular FOX a girl came by and said that FOX and their cable provider had a dispute over price so they they no longer get FOX.

My point is that if FOX is willing to withhold their flagship station from subscribers because of a price dispute I'm sure they'll have no problem holding things up on the sports channel.

The Reds are on Fox Sports Ohio in Louisville.

That's funny. My parents have cable, are huge Reds fans, and I never heard any yelling. Granted, I live several hundred miles away, but my Dad would have hit the roof and probably been institutionalized if they pulled the plug on the Reds.

This must not have lasted long.

casualfan
07-16-2013, 11:27 AM
The Reds are on Fox Sports Ohio in Louisville.

That's funny. My parents have cable, are huge Reds fans, and I never heard any yelling. Granted, I live several hundred miles away, but my Dad would have hit the roof and probably been institutionalized if they pulled the plug on the Reds.

This must not have lasted long.

Did you read my post? I said they were the national game that weekend and that he had every iteration of FOX (i.e. Fox Sports Ohio) other than basic FOX.

Had they been on Fox Sports Ohio I would have been able to watch them, but as I mentioned it was the national game of the week which gets broadcast on regular old FOX.

xubrew
07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Did you read my post? I said they were the national game that weekend and that he had every iteration of FOX (i.e. Fox Sports Ohio) other than basic FOX.

Had they been on Fox Sports Ohio I would have been able to watch them, but as I mentioned it was the national game of the week which gets broadcast on regular old FOX.

I read it. I just assumed you meant Fox Sports because I didn't think they'd pull the Fox free to air network off the air. It is, after all, free to air.

That's even crazier.

I didn't think the major networks charged anything for cable/satellite providers to carry the local affiliate. Hence the term "Free to Air." I guess this is not the case??

jdm2000
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
No, I think they have carriage fees for the networks, too, though I could be wrong on that.

blobfan
07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
We've seen this before. It royally sucks, but chances are, at about 10:30pm on August 16th, a deal will be struck. It is in the best interest of both sides to strike a deal.

Then again....we still haven't seen one with the Pac Twelve Network. Not on DirecTV anyway.

Not getting a deal done would be stupid, but you never want to underestimate the power of stupidity in this world.

My understanding with the Pac Twelve Network is they are insisting they be included in the regular package--and be paid accordingly--whereas DTV wants them only in the Sports upgrade. Fox Sports Networks have generally only been a part of the upgrade package so hopefully that issue isn't a hold-up. I think that's where DTV really digs in its heals.

xubrew
07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
That's basically the gist of it.

The Pac Twelve wants X amount of money per subscriber. The amount they're asking only makes sense if DirecTV puts it on a premium tier because if they don't they'll have to jack their rates up in order to cover the cost. They'll do this for ESPN, but not Pac Twelve Network.

Speed Network is available to all customers, but they pay less than $0.25 per subscriber, so they can put it on the basic tier. Now, Fox wants over $0.80 per subscriber, which means they're suddenly forking out a ton more money (over three times as much) if they keep it on the basic tier.

That's the dispute, from what I understand. I have no idea what the issue is with the other carriers, but it's probably similar.

Masterofreality
08-24-2020, 11:07 AM
Len Elmore has joined CBS Sports HQ.
Thank Gawd. That guy was the worst analyst on Fox. Get him the hell outta here!!

xubrew
08-24-2020, 12:07 PM
That's basically the gist of it.

The Pac Twelve wants X amount of money per subscriber. The amount they're asking only makes sense if DirecTV puts it on a premium tier because if they don't they'll have to jack their rates up in order to cover the cost. They'll do this for ESPN, but not Pac Twelve Network.

Speed Network is available to all customers, but they pay less than $0.25 per subscriber, so they can put it on the basic tier. Now, Fox wants over $0.80 per subscriber, which means they're suddenly forking out a ton more money (over three times as much) if they keep it on the basic tier.

That's the dispute, from what I understand. I have no idea what the issue is with the other carriers, but it's probably similar.

Yunno, I had forgotten all about this. It's amazing how unimportant it now all is. And, DTV still hasn't picked up the Pac 12.

bigdiggins
08-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Yunno, I had forgotten all about this. It's amazing how unimportant it now all is. And, DTV still hasn't picked up the Pac 12.

And Sling still hasn't added back FS1, which is why I no longer have Sling.

bobbiemcgee
06-22-2021, 08:15 PM
8 million a yr. would be nice:

https://ncaahoopsdigest.com/2021/06/18/the-big-easts-media-marriage-life-beyond-2025-with-fs1/

GIMMFD
06-22-2021, 11:11 PM
8 million a yr. would be nice:

https://ncaahoopsdigest.com/2021/06/18/the-big-easts-media-marriage-life-beyond-2025-with-fs1/

Would love $8mil a year, and it is plausible with UCONN in the fold, but we also need to do our part and make NCAA tournaments, and some deep runs while we're at it, have a few years to do that and increase conference value, don't see why it can't happen.

xukeith
06-23-2021, 10:39 AM
Len Elmore has joined CBS Sports HQ.
Thank Gawd. That guy was the worst analyst on Fox. Get him the hell outta here!!

He is awful.

atljar
06-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Dish has been without regional FoxSports networks for like 2 years now. Thankfully games on FS Ohio have been almost non existent recently

noteggs
06-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Hopefully the BE keeps all their basketball games on Fox sports national or FS1/2 like last year. The vast majority of services carry those, so it shouldn’t’ be an issue. Think AT&T is the only streamer to carry Fox sports Ohio.

bobbiemcgee
06-24-2021, 02:47 PM
They gotta love they get to broadcast the Ohhoho - X game. Raf and Gus?