PDA

View Full Version : Butler's new Coach is...

deepX
07-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I am pleased to announce that Butler men’s basketball assistant coach Brandon Miller ’03 has been named our new head coach.

Brandon has a long history with Butler both as player—a former point guard—and as the assistant coach during the 2007-2008 season, where he helped the Bulldogs to a 30-4 record, conference regular season and tournament championships, and a berth in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. During that time Butler was ranked in the national top 25 for 20 weeks, reaching as high as No. 8.

Brandon spent last season as a special assistant to University of Illinois head coach John Groce. With Brandon on staff, the Fighting Illini achieved a 23-13 record and captured a spot in the NCAA Tournament Third Round.

Prior to his one season at Illinois, Brandon spent six years on the staff of head coach Thad Matta, a 1990 Butler graduate, at Ohio State. He served three years as an assistant coach, two seasons as director of basketball operations, and one year as video coordinator. During his tenure at Ohio State, the Buckeyes won four Big Ten titles, made three NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearances, and advanced to the 2007 NCAA championship game. He began his career as a video intern on Matta's staff at Xavier in 2003-2004.

As a Bulldog, Brandon was a top performer and compiled a three-year 77–20 record, three conference championships, and three trips to postseason tournament play. He arrived at Butler in 1999, transferring to Butler from Southwest Missouri State. After sitting out one season, he started 97 straight games and was just one of eight Butler players to record more than 1,000 points in just three seasons. He was the leading scorer on Butler's 2002–2003 squad, helping the Bulldogs to a 27–6 record, a league championship, and a berth in the NCAA Sweet 16.

He finished his career ranked among Butler's all-time leaders in points (1,121), 3-point field goals (189), and assists (305). He earned All-Horizon League, Horizon League All-Defensive and Academic All-League recognition, and he was named Butler's Co-Team MVP in 2003. As a senior, Brandon was chosen as Butler's Co-Most Outstanding Male Athlete, and he received the Horizon League's Cecil M. Coleman Medal of Honor, the league's highest individual award. He also was named recipient of the 2003 Chip Hilton Award, presented annually to a NCAA Division I senior who demonstrates outstanding leadership, character, integrity, sportsmanship and talent. In 2006, he was named to the 15-player Butler Team of the Sesquicentennial.

I am confident that Brandon will carry on the Butler University basketball tradition of excellence, especially as we make the transition to the BIG EAST Athletic Conference. As a player, assistant coach, and person, Brandon has exemplified the Butler Way and brings a blend of energy, talent, and integrity to this role. With Brandon’s leadership, Butler is well positioned to expand upon the success of the last few years.

Please join me in congratulating Brandon on this well-deserved appointment.

Barry Collier ’76
Vice President and Director of Athletics

Porkopolis
07-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Interesting hire, and yet another tie between our programs.

PM Thor
07-06-2013, 03:16 PM
That was quick. I wonder if they had read the tea leaves and had contingency plans in place and ready to go. Hope he does well, but not too well.

xufan02
07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
That was quick. I wonder if they had read the tea leaves and had contingency plans in place and ready to go. Hope he does well, but not too well.

They needed to move quickly. The first live recruiting period is in three days. Now they need another assistant coach.

xubrew
07-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm a little surprised it wasn't Lavall Jordan.

Xavgrad08
07-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Interesting that last season Miller was in a non recruiting role with Illinois basketball under John Groce. Remember Miller left his assistant coaching position in 2011 to spend more time with his family. You never know if a coaching hire will or won't work out. I do know that Branden was highly reguarded by Thad Matta and Sean Miller. Obviously that doesn't tranlsate into wins.

It is hard to believe how much coaching talent was on the sideline during " The Run". Matta was the head coach, Miller(now HC at Arizona), Groce(now HC at Illinois), Alan Major(now HC at Charlotte), Branden Miller was a graduate assistant (now HC at Butler). Incredible staff.

X-band '01
07-06-2013, 06:53 PM

They may not have necessarily seen the Celtics hiring him, but it would definitely seem as if Barry Collier had a contingency plan locked and loaded for such an occasion.

anXUfan
07-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Glad they didn't go for a retread.

PMI
07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I always had a sneaking suspicion that Barry Collier was posting here under the name "DeepX."

As for Butler, F em.

Thor in 204
07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Sounds like he is talented in many ways, has a good resume' in terms of playing, coaching, and college basketball program administration on a day to day level, and probably embodies what they want for the culture of the program as well as on-court success.

LA Muskie
07-07-2013, 12:57 PM

It was reported (I can't remember where) that Miller was interviewed "within hours" of Stevens notifying Butler that he was leaving.

xudash
07-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Sounds like he is talented in many ways, has a good resume' in terms of playing, coaching, and college basketball program administration on a day to day level, and probably embodies what they want for the culture of the program as well as on-court success.

Which is why Butler should do well in the long-term, but I expect a bumpy transitional period. He's new to the HC chair and the program is transitioning from the Horizon through the A10 to the Big East. That's a lot to bite off, considering that Butler's inaugural A10 experience resulted in a 5th place finish.

I see this thing as being a big risk for that program. The "Butler Way" is a charming notion for the Horizon League. Taking all that into the NCAA Tounament as they've done up until now found those teams well tuned and ready to execute, especially through Stevens' analytical approach.

If 5th place was the result while in the A10, including absolute pastings by Xavier, SLU and VCU, what is to be in the Big East for a program with a new coach, regardless of him coming from "the family"? Will a recruiting strategy that favors smarts/fundamentals over higher rated thoroughbreds cut it in the Big East?

There is no other way to look at this than to conclude that Butler has lost a unique opportunity. Stevens is a unique talent. This is a lot of change to digest. So, early bumps at a minimum, with success to some degree still likely, but not at the level recently achieved.

Olsingledigit
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Which is why Butler should do well in the long-term, but I expect a bumpy transitional period. He's new to the HC chair and the program is transitioning from the Horizon through the A10 to the Big East. That's a lot to bite off, considering that Butler's inaugural A10 experience resulted in a 5th place finish.

I see this thing as being a big risk for that program. The "Butler Way" is a charming notion for the Horizon League. Taking all that into the NCAA Tounament as they've done up until now found those teams well tuned and ready to execute, especially through Stevens' analytical approach.

If 5th place was the result while in the A10, including absolute pastings by Xavier, SLU and VCU, what is to be in the Big East for a program with a new coach, regardless of him coming from "the family"? Will a recruiting strategy that favors smarts/fundamentals over higher rated thoroughbreds cut it in the Big East?

There is no other way to look at this than to conclude that Butler has lost a unique opportunity. Stevens is a unique talent. This is a lot of change to digest. So, early bumps at a minimum, with success to some degree still likely, but not at the level recently achieved.

Agree Dash. It could be a struggle. Big East has to be scratching its head.

LA Muskie
07-07-2013, 02:50 PM
I think Dash is mostly right. But we are all pretty proud of the "Xavier Way". It has done us well. The "Butler Way" has arguably done better in the recent past, so once they get through the transition (and I think they will) it should serve them well in the new Big East -- mind you a Big East without huge state schools (or for the most part not even particularly large private ones).

LA Muskie
07-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Big East has to be scratching its head.

I very much doubt they are. If you think they didn't consider that risk, you don't think much of those who assembled this conference. Butler was an easy choice for the new Big East with or without Stevens.

GIMMFD
07-07-2013, 03:26 PM
It is hard to believe how much coaching talent was on the sideline during " The Run". Matta was the head coach, Miller(now HC at Arizona), Groce(now HC at Illinois), Alan Major(now HC at Charlotte), Branden Miller was a graduate assistant (now HC at Butler). Incredible staff.

Wow. That is impressive.

I think time will tell if this works out to be a good hire, he's been decently proven at assistant jobs, but the whole ordeal of not recruiting last year will be a big factor.. but he knows the program, and knows the players, I'm interested to see if anyone transfers now that Stevens left..

deepX
07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I always had a sneaking suspicion that Barry Collier was posting here under the name "DeepX."

As for Butler, F em.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?? -DeepX

xubrew
07-08-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't know either one of them personally, but if you look at the credentials, LaVall Jordan seemed to be the better choice. I think he'd be Michigan's guy, or at least a very strong candidate, if Beilein were to retire, which he will some day. I guess I'm more than a little surprised that they didn't go with him.

Jordan was instrumental in recruiting the 06-07 and 07-08 Butler teams. He wasn't there in 07-08, but he played a big role in assembling it. Beilein hired him away for a reason, and Michigan sucked when Beilein took over. I think it's safe to say that he recruited some very strong teams and players to Michigan. Michigan's recruiting footprint is right were Butler's is, and lately they've been recruiting it very well. They've also developed the talent they've recruited, and I believe Jordan is the #2 guy there, and has been for awhile.

I don't know. I'm less qualified than Collier to make that decision. If Jordan is as good as I think he is, then Collier must think Miller is better. The last time he passed on some people who were believed to be good candidates and hired an unknown that no one had ever heard of and appeared to have no sort of real resume, I guess it worked out alright. I'm now to a point to where Butler will have to prove to me that they're not a top 25 team. Until they do, I'm just going to assume they are.

Also, when in doubt, it never hurts to go with a guy named "Jordan."

JTG
07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Also, when in doubt, it never hurts to go with a guy named "Jordan."[/QUOTE]

Charlotte's NBA fans might disagree with you. As for Butler, Stevens is a basketball savant. Their other coaches were good, but Stevens was a miracle worker. No way on paper should they have beat 1/3 of the teams they played over his tenure. Hell, I bet many teams got stomach cramps from laughing watching Butler warm up. They were tenacious and player very smart. I bet Mack is thrilled not to have to deal with Stevens twice a year anymore.

PMI
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I promise you Wizards fans disagree with the "can't go wrong with a Jordan" philosophy. Hell, the closest thing we had to success with a Jordan was Eddie Jordan, and he wasn't even the college graduate he claimed to be. Hell, even as Xavier fans we're only batting about .500 with Jordans by my memory.

xubrew
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I withdraw the reference to anyone named "Jordan." Having said that, I'm still a little surprised that it wasn't LaVall Jordan, but it's not the first time Butler has surprised me. Until they make a move that ends up being bad, I'm going to assume they know more about it than I do and that they made the right choice.