PDA

View Full Version : Brad Stevens to Celtics!?!?!?!

STL_XUfan
07-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Did not see that coming.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/03/brad-stevens-to-leave-butler-as-the-next-head-coach-of-the-boston-celtics/

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Shoot, you beat me to it. What in the .....

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
That's a big blow to the Big East.

A risky move for the Celtics but kind of a no brainer for Stevens.

BMoreX
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I had Butler 6th in my preseason Big East solely because of their coach. Safe to say I now have them 8th.

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Love the picture NBC Sports used.

http://nbccollegebasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/x350-115-e1364094210784.jpg?w=230

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Don't really see how this is a "big blow" to the Big East. It's one coach on one team. Butler will be alright.

casualfan
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
That's a big blow to the Big East.

Very very big blow. Also agree its a no brainer for stevens. Worst case scenario he blows and then gets hired back to a great college job.

PMI
07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Don't really see how this is a "big blow" to the Big East. It's one coach on one team. Butler will be alright.

It doesn't help. Brad Stevens was Butler. Now they're just a team with a really, really crappy gym and a bunch of three stars. Maybe they hit another coaching home run, but if they don't...

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
The fact that Stevens will be coaching Jordan Crawford in the NBA is too mind blowing for me to handle right now. Hilarious on so many levels.

xeus
07-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Brad's going to be shocked when he gets to the NBA and sees how many black guys play basketball.

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
It doesn't help. Brad Stevens was Butler. Now they're just a team with a really, really crappy gym and a bunch of three stars. Maybe they hit another coaching home run, but if they don't...

Yeah, agreed it certainly hurts Butler's chances at success, but big blow to the conference in general? Nahh. There are still plenty of national marquis names in the conference to go around.

Charlesbt4
07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Personally, I don't see the logic in this if you're Stevens. If it's all about money, he probably will not make much more than if he had simply gone to a school such as UCLA. Doc Rivers was being paid $7,000,000 by Celtics, which was the highest reported salary in the NBA. Monty Williams was being paid $1,000,000 by the Hornets (Pelicans), which was the lowest reported salary in the NBA. UCLA, which was offering Brad Stevens their coaching position, just paid Steve Alford $2,600,000 over the course of his contract with the school.

vee4xu
07-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Hey, good for Brad. He's young and talented, so why not? He can always go back to the college game a la Calapari and Pitino. In the meantime, he creates a mega-bank account for his future.

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Personally, I don't see the logic in this if you're Stevens. If it's all about money, he probably will not make much more than if he had simply gone to a school such as UCLA. Doc Rivers was being paid $7,000,000 by Celtics, which was the highest reported salary in the NBA. Monty Williams was being paid $1,000,000 by the Hornets (Pelicans), which was the lowest reported salary in the NBA. UCLA, which was offering Brad Stevens their coaching position, just paid Steve Alford $2,600,000 over the course of his contract with the school.

Because if he sucks at UCLA, his next job will be a huge step down. If he sucks for the Celtics, his next job might still be UCLA.

casualfan
07-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Because if he sucks at UCLA, his next job will be a huge step down. If he sucks for the Celtics, his next job might still be UCLA.

I don't understand why people are struggling to grasp this concept.

Charlesbt4
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM

The things that make a college coach successful are vastly different from the things that make an NBA coach successful. To stay in college coaching, but to move to a bigger program, would have been a much less risky decision.

Also, let's not assume that if Stevens flops in the NBA, he'll come back to college coaching at a premier program. While Pitino came back from the NBA to coach at Kentucky and Louisville, Calapari came back to coach at Memphis. There's no guarantee that he'll be as hot a coaching prospect if he fails in the NBA.

waggy
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Butler sent an email out that stated no university could match the Celtics offer.

PMI
07-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Exactly. You could go to the Bobcats and win 5 games if you're Brad Stevens and still come back and get a great college job because there will always be the idea that you are a great college coach, just not a great NBA coach. If you go to UCLA and don't win multiple national championships, you get fired. You may still be seen as a great college coach, but now, at the least, you're a college coach who got fired for not winning enough. I see this as a total non-risk for Brad from a career standpoint, unless he had a better NBA offer.

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Also, let's not assume that if Stevens flops in the NBA, he'll come back to college coaching at a premier program. While Pitino came back from the NBA to coach at Kentucky and Louisville, Calapari came back to coach at Memphis. There's no guarantee that he'll be as hot a coaching prospect if he fails in the NBA.

Memphis was a relatively premier program and paid Cal a ton of cash. It was certainly more of a premier program than UMass. Stevens will get AT LEAST a similar upgrade pretty much no matter how badly he fails in Boston.

LadyMuskie
07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm torn between feeling bad for Butler, especially the guys on the team, and wanting to laugh and do a dance of joy because this will do nothing but help us this season and Butler fans are obnoxious (not as obnoxious as Dayton fans, but nevertheless obnoxious) and deserve to be knocked down a peg or 5. What to choose. . .

BMoreX
07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm torn between feeling bad for Butler, especially the guys on the team, and wanting to laugh and do a dance of joy because this will do nothing but help us this season and Butler fans are obnoxious (not as obnoxious as Dayton fans, but nevertheless obnoxious) and deserve to be knocked down a peg or 5. What to choose. . .

B. It's a killer for them. Like someone said, Brad was Butler.

Let's not forget. They still have guys playing on this team that were being recruited while they were in the Horizon League. They're gonna struggle for awhile.

Charlesbt4
07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Exactly. You could go to the Bobcats and win 5 games if you're Brad Stevens and still come back and get a great college job because there will always be the idea that you are a great college coach, just not a great NBA coach. If you go to UCLA and don't win multiple national championships, you get fired. You may still be seen as a great college coach, but now, at the least, you're a college coach who got fired for not winning enough. I see this as a total non-risk for Brad from a career standpoint, unless he had a better NBA offer.

Nolan Richardson, Jerry Tarkanian, Clair Bee, and Lou Carnesseca would disagree would you.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6743303/college-nba-coaching-pipeline-dries-college-basketball

LadyMuskie
07-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Let's not forget. They still have guys playing on this team that were being recruited while they were in the Horizon League. They're gonna struggle for awhile.

I know. I can't help but smile! And inside my head is an evil, evil laugh! :lmao:

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Nolan Richardson, Jerry Tarkanian, Clair Bee, and Lou Carnesseca would disagree would you.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6743303/college-nba-coaching-pipeline-dries-college-basketball

The two guys mentioned in that article (Montgomery and Hamilton) both sucked as NBA coaches, made a ton of money and got arguably better college jobs out of the deal (Stanford to Cal and Miami to FSU).

Charlesbt4
07-03-2013, 05:22 PM
The two guys mentioned in that article (Montgomery and Hamilton) both sucked as NBA coaches, made a ton of money and got arguably better college jobs out of the deal (Stanford to Cal and Miami to FSU).

Yeah. When I think of California and Florida State, I think "premier basketball programs." Give me a break.

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
As compared to Stanford and Miami? If nothing else, they're the exact same.

And neither of those guys had the college cred Stevens does. Montgomery more than Hamilton, but neither compared to Stevens in that regard.

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 05:33 PM

You could have said similar things for lottery pick Gordon Hayward, NBA Player Shelvin Mack, conference POY big man Matt Howard, and others that have played under Stevens. Look, I understand Stevens was a fantastic coach, one of the best in the country, but let's not get caught up in all of the media hoopla like he was the one playing the games out there. The Gene Hackman from Hoosiers narrative needs to go.

BMoreX
07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah, like lottery pick Gordon Hayward, NBA Player Shelvin Mack, all conference big man Matt Howard and the best shooter in the country Rotnei Clarke. Look, I understand Stevens was a fantastic coach, one of the best in the country, but let's not get caught up in all of the media hoopla like he was the one playing the games out there. The Gene Hackman from Hoosiers narrative needs to go.

Who do they have now? I honestly only know Dunham and Jones.

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Who do they have now? I honestly only know Dunham and Jones.

Sorry, edited some of the wording in my original post to sound less douchey, because it seemed like I was even though I wasn't trying to be haha.

They definitely won't be as good without Brad Stevens. I just think that it's unfair to say that Stevens "was Butler" or was the the end all be all of Butler's success. There were certainly some other factors that led to programs success during his time as well.

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Not sure what their roster is looking like to be honest. I have a feeling that Dunham kid is going to be one of those annoying pesky players for 3 more years against us.

smileyy
07-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Butler grew their program through Barry Collier, Thad Matta, Todd Lickliter, and now Brad Stevens.

I suspect they've had transition plans in place. Will it be smooth? Not necessarily. Will it be successful? No guarantee. But, uh, we've seen a program go through these sorts of changes and survive and thrive.

xubrew
07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
It's hard to replace a coach at this juncture. it's July. Had Matt Graves not gone to South Alabama I think it would have been a relatively smooth transition.

I'm very curious to see what their pool of candidates is and where they'll look. I think there are some very good coaches out there that would be interested. I just wonder if Butler will consider any of them.

GoMuskies
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Graves could pull a John L. Smith and ditch USA for Butler.

xubrew
07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I think John L Smith is who they should hire.

PMI
07-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah. When I think of California and Florida State, I think "premier basketball programs." Give me a break.

I mean, Hamilton has FSU in pretty good shape and Cal is about as on par with Stanford as it comes. Stevens had far more success in his six years at Butler than those guys had, given each of their situations. Tark's situation was different as he carried a lot of baggage with him. I promise you that every single program in the country looking for a coach (or even an upgrade at coach) will offer Brad Stevens after his NBA thing goes south.

XURunner85
07-03-2013, 06:53 PM
I believe Boston is hoping for one of two thing to happen. 1) he does well and becomes a success. 2) he fails and Boston gets a lottety pick.

GIMMFD
07-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Butler will be fine, they have a good program, it'll take a few years to transition, but they will be fine.

Stevens however I feel is screwed, how is he gonna connect with guys like Rajon Rondo? Rondo is going to eat him. I don't think he's gonna command respect at the Celtics like he did at Butler, I just don't think the guys from the Celtics will buy into him, I hope I'm wrong, I wanna see him succeed, I think Stevens is a helluva coach.

drudy23
07-03-2013, 07:14 PM
He took Butler to the Championship games twice...don't say he walked into talent....that's idiotic.

X-band '01
07-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Imagine how SLU and Richmond feel now, especially if Butler struggles in the next year or two.

smileyy
07-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Stevens however I feel is screwed, how is he gonna connect with guys like Rajon Rondo? Rondo is going to eat him. I don't think he's gonna command respect at the Celtics like he did at Butler, I just don't think the guys from the Celtics will buy into him, I hope I'm wrong, I wanna see him succeed, I think Stevens is a helluva coach.

Well, one of those guys has a 6 year deal, and the other doesn't. Of course, Rondo probably has more money committed to him ($25M still on the books)...but I can also see the Celtics trading Rondo.

BMoreX
07-03-2013, 07:53 PM
@WojYahooNBA: The Boston Celtics signed Brad Stevens to a six year, $22 million contract, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

GuyFawkes38
07-03-2013, 08:30 PM
For a good 2 years, Dash and I argued against Butler's membership into the A10 because of their dependence on Stevens. Here's hoping we were wrong. Ugh.

waggy
07-03-2013, 08:34 PM
For a good 2 years, Dash and I argued against Butler's membership into the A10 because of their dependence on Stevens. Here's hoping we were wrong. Ugh.

You did no such thing!

Xavgrad08
07-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I am guessing Mathew Graves regrets leaving Butler for a head coaching job. He would have been next in line. This will be a big hire for Collier the Butler AD. I am curious what will happen to the Butler assistants. I presume Brad will want some guys with NBA experience on his staff. The new Butler head coach will likely want to bring in his own assistants.

GuyFawkes38
07-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm hearing some Archie to Butler talk. That would be fun, but unlikely.

XUFan09
07-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, one of those guys has a 6 year deal, and the other doesn't. Of course, Rondo probably has more money committed to him ($25M still on the books)...but I can also see the Celtics trading Rondo.

Analysts have actually discussed how they have flexibility with Rondo in the rebuilding process. If they keep him, he'll be the centerpiece of a new team. If they trade him, they're going to get a lot out of any deal.

LadyMuskie
07-03-2013, 09:16 PM

If this happens, I think we'll be able to hear dayton fans' heads exploding here in Cincinnati. They not only don't get an invite to the Big East, but it doesn't seem as if they were even considered a possibility, and Xavier won't play them in the non-conference. Then, to rub salt in the wound, one of the new Big East teams poaches the coach they hired to try to be more like Xavier. What else could go wrong for dayton? It would be awesome!

Xavier
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Is Butler a premier program? He took Butler to two national championships, he is a smart basketball guy. Not saying he will have success, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was alright. And as others have said, worst case he comes back to at worst a mid level Big 6 school with NBA experience to sell to recruits as well as his great history at Butler.

blobfan
07-03-2013, 09:30 PM
If this happens, I think we'll be able to hear dayton fans' heads exploding here in Cincinnati. They not only don't get an invite to the Big East, but it doesn't seem as if they were even considered a possibility, and Xavier won't play them in the non-conference. Then, to rub salt in the wound, one of the new Big East teams poaches the coach they hired to try to be more like Xavier. What else could go wrong for dayton? It would be awesome!
That was my thought too. Not sure Archie would add much to the league but it'd be much fun reading the dumps fanboards for a while.

PM Thor
07-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't get this "Stevens was Butler" talk. They had Matta before him, and he did pretty well. Plus, Butler is a choice job to have for about 3/4ths of the college basketball world. Big East, no football, it's a great position to get.

And Archie to Butler is insane talk. Hell, they would take any ACC lead assistant over Archie. Big Ten assistant too. It's a great starter spot for an assistant who has established himself in a big league.

JTG
07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
He's getting 22 mil..where the hell did u study math ?

Charlesbt4
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
He's getting 22 mil..where the hell did u study math ?

Did I mention his contract in my post? No. Because at the time at which I wrote it, the details of the agreement had yet to be released. Nonetheless, nothing that you've said, or the information that has since been released - a six year agreement valued at $22 million - changes the premise of my post, which was that NBA coaches don't make significantly more than college coaches. In this case, Stevens makes $3.6 million a year.

In 2010, Mike Krzyzewski received $7.2 million in compensation, while Rick Pitino received $8.9 million: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-05-16/mike-krzyzewski-duke-salary-over-seven-million/54992790/1

Moreover, after Brad Stevens declined an offer from UCLA, they hired Steve Alford, a lesser coach, whom they are paying $2.6 million per year.

Perhaps you should learn your shit before you open your mouth.

Xavier
07-03-2013, 11:53 PM
I don't get this "Stevens was Butler" talk. They had Matta before him, and he did pretty well. Plus, Butler is a choice job to have for about 3/4ths of the college basketball world. Big East, no football, it's a great position to get.

And Archie to Butler is insane talk. Hell, they would take any ACC lead assistant over Archie. Big Ten assistant too. It's a great starter spot for an assistant who has established himself in a big league.

Wasn't Thad at butler for only one season? It's easy to see Butler wont be the same without him, IMO. They still might be good, but not as good. He was one of the beat coaches in the country--not easy to replace.

Xavier
07-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Nonetheless, nothing that you've said, or the information that has since been released - a six year agreement valued at $22 million - changes the premise of my post, which was that NBA coaches don't make significantly more than college coaches. In this case, Stevens makes $3.6 million a year.

Moreover, after Brad Stevens declined an offer from UCLA, they hired Steve Alford, a lesser coach, whom they are paying $2.6 million per year.

So, he is making 1 million dollars more coaching in the NBA than he would be coaching a top 3 college bball program of all time. That isn't significant? Seems To me if it was about money, he easily made the right decision.

Hell, if it wasn't about money- which I doubt it was- he is coaching the second best NBA program of all time. How could you realistically turn that down: You will make 1 million more than he was offered coaching at the top of the college world and also coach a historic program in the Celtics.

Charlesbt4
07-04-2013, 12:03 AM
So, he is making 1 million dollars more coaching in the NBA than he would be coaching a top 3 college bball program of all time. That isn't significant? Seems To me if it was about money, he easily made the right decision.

When I said that UCLA is paying Alford, a lesser coach, $2.6 million per year, I was implying that it is reasonable to think they would have paid Stevens significantly more.

wkrq59
07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I know. I can't help but smile! And inside my head is an evil, evil laugh! :lmao:

Yeah, but never ever assume. I'm definitely disappointed, but the Celtics and NBA millions can help himset his family up for the long haul and even if he fails, which I think he just might not, he can return without having to take a step down as some college coaches have when they tried to make the leap. In any event, I agree with Lady. It's a boon to Xavier.

SemajParlor
07-04-2013, 01:10 AM
He took Butler to the Championship games twice...don't say he walked into talent....that's idiotic.

I didn't say that.

GIMMFD
07-04-2013, 01:18 AM

You think they would trade Rondo? I think he's just one of the better PG's in the game, he's just crafty and has great vision, and if this Garnett, Pierce BS happens, I feel like he's indispensable...

GoMuskies
07-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Pierce and Garnett are already gone, which makes Rondo very, very dispensable since they are going to suck with him or without him. You may as well get some first round drat picks for him.

GIMMFD
07-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Pierce and Garnett are already gone, which makes Rondo very, very dispensable since they are going to suck with him or without him. You may as well get some first round drat picks for him.

Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to that situation. Hmm, that's an interesting spin, the Celtics were pretty old, a fresh young start couldn't hurt. Think they play the "let's suck this year, and get Andrew Wiggins next year" game?

GoMuskies
07-04-2013, 01:39 AM
I think that's exactly what they're going to do.

PMI
07-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Butler will be fine, they have a good program, it'll take a few years to transition, but they will be fine.

I think it's going to be the opposite of this, if anything. Butler is a good program, sure. But I think some people are severely underestimating just how much Brad Stevens was to that program. I don't say this lightly, but Brad Stevens, in so many ways, was Butler basketball. This is a program with awful facilities that recruits 3 star athletes. The underdog role was awesome while it lasted. Hell, they played it better than anyone I've ever seen. But that is NOT sustainable. Butler, MOSTLY because of Stevens' success, will be able to attract a quality coach. I believe that. But they better hit the nail on the head on the first swing. They are not in the Horizon League anymore. It is much more likely that they get buried in the Big East than make a Cinderella rise to the top unless they start recruiting and doing things the way the great Big East programs do. That's the reality. Brad Stevens, in all of his hackneyed lure, was able to compensate for whatever they were missing in that regard. That will simply not be the case now.

And as for him being "screwed," I agree his Boston team will suck for the foreseeable future. But he, personally, is in the ultimate catbird's seat. Whatever happens with Rondo, Green, or any other Celtic, Stevens will be fine. That's the beauty of his position.

I'm with you. I always argued that Butler, while a fine addition to the Big East, was not the no-brainer everyone was making it out to be. Again, they have some disadvantages compared to the schools they'll be chasing toward the top. Hell, we have some disadvantages too. Not as bad as Butler but Georgetown and Marquette have some SERIOUS cash upper hands on us. Butler can certainly make another good hire and be OK, but by no means is it a given, and I think it's an inevitability that this is a temporary derailment at the least. Now, two days after you join the Big East, is hardly the best time for such a derailment. Butler must tread awfully carefully here.

Charlesbt4
07-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Stevens, undoubtedly a very good coach, finds himself in an interesting situation with the Celtics. They will be bad next year, but with or without Rajon Rondo, may nonetheless not be bad enough to secure a lottery pick. And if they do secure a lottery pick, it more than likely won't be a top five draft pick. That means that their plan of trying to rebuild through the draft is problematic, to say the least, as they won't be able to draft a premium player. To resolve that, they could look to free agency, but the big name free agents in 2014 are either older players or likely to resign with their current team. In the alternative, they could orchestrate a trade, but other than Rondo they don't have any players with a ton of value, and even Rondo's value is diminished after his knee injury.

To me, this is one of the reasons that Stevens' decision to sign with the Celtics is so curious. Not only are they rebuilding, but the process of rebuilding is either uncertain, or may take so long that by the time the team has enough talent to win, he will long ago have been fired.

PMI
07-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Stevens, undoubtedly a very good coach, finds himself in an interesting situation with the Celtics. They will be bad next year, but with or without Rajon Rondo, may nonetheless not be bad enough to secure a lottery pick. And if they do secure a lottery pick, it more than likely won't be a top five draft pick. That means that their plan of trying to rebuild through the draft is problematic, to say the least, as they won't be able to draft a premium player. To resolve that, they could look to free agency, but the big name free agents in 2014 are either older players or likely to resign with their current team. In the alternative, they could orchestrate a trade, but other than Rondo they don't have any players with a ton of value, and even Rondo's value is diminished after his knee injury.

To me, this is one of the reasons that Stevens' decision to sign with the Celtics is so curious. Not only are they rebuilding, but the process of rebuilding is either uncertain, or may take so long that by the time the team has enough talent to win, he will long ago have been fired.

I agree with all of what you said, other than the idea that Boston won't be a lottery pick. With Rondo, maybe they just sneak in. Without Rondo, they are going to be very, very bad.

XU-PA
07-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Realizing that there is some joy (possibly misplaced for a very un athletic 7 footer) in Boston over the Celtic's drafting Olynyk,,,,, they really didn't get anything that will help them in the upcoming season.

That is why I suspect Rondo is going to go. With his talent he is certainly worthy of a team giving up their 1st and 2nd round picks, the ideal situation is for Boston to deal him to a team that has already picked up someone elses 1st round pick next year, because you could argue he is worth 2 top picks.
He is known for being the one star on the Celtics who did not click with his coach, and that should be the rep that sends him on the road. Worst thing for a first time coach is a star that thinks he runs the show on a fast sinking ship

LA Muskie
07-04-2013, 06:34 AM
I think Rondo is gone. They need to retool, and trading him is their best chance to get value. Plus no one in the organization can stand him -- Ainge included. Danny's comment about "character" when hiring Stevens wasn't accidental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Muskie1000
07-04-2013, 06:43 AM

I thought the same thing - but they are talking about Brandon Miller, not Archie.

XU 87
07-04-2013, 06:48 AM

I disagree. As I posted on the other thread on this topic, Stevens did one of the greatest coaching jobs I've ever seen in college basketball. He took a team from the Horizon League to back to back NCAA Championship games. I think without him, Butler is not in the BE. I think Butler will get back to where they were before Stevens- a nice program that hopes to win a game or two in the NCAA tourney.

In some ways, this may be good for X, a little less competition in the BE, but Butler will still be a decent program with some name recognition.

Titanxman04
07-04-2013, 07:08 AM
This is a great move for Stevens and for Danny Ainge. I was listening to ESPN radio as it broke, and for the next two hours in the car, they brought on a lot of people to discuss it. By hiring Stevens, the Celtics have bought time to rebuild their program with a name coach that everyone knows. Seeing as hes young and coming straight from college, the fans should give him a few years to build this program.

They have a ton of draft picks now and next year is a loaded draft class that will be ripe with talent. According to multiple "experts" last night, the overall sentiment was that Rondo is not long for the Celtics. Expect the front office to try and trade him for some draft picks. The Celtics wont be successful but that will give time for Stevens to adjust to the pro game and to help build the Celtics back to the premier organization in the NBA.

Butler, on the other hand, is certainly a better job now than it was last year. Moving to the Big East with more financial income and a bigger conference will only be more of an appeal for some college coaches and they should be able to get a decent coach. The timing certainly is not great for the program, but i dont think Butler will fall flat on its face like some may think.

XU 87
07-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't think Butler will fall flat on its face. I think that they'll go from a program that with Stevens would be a contender to win the league year after year to a team that may contend once every few years.

GuyFawkes38
07-04-2013, 07:24 AM
I thought the same thing - but they are talking about Brandon Miller, not Archie.

Brandon Miller is being mentioned (IMHO, that's doubtful...he is a bit too young and inexperienced). But also, Archie. Adam Zagoria has brought up Archie for the job. His name is being floated around.

But yes, I can't see it. Butler seems to like to hire within the family. Archie's name in going to surface for lots of jobs.

This sucks for Graves.

bleedXblue
07-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Butler is Xavier's biggest rival in the new Big East. So, from a selfish perspective, I don't mind this at all. Stevens was flat out the best young coach in college basketball. Huge loss for Butler. You just don't replace guys like him. They'll get a good young coach and will move on. Big loss for the new league though, which king of sucks due to the timing of this whole thing.

Titanxman04
07-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't think Butler will fall flat on its face. I think that they'll go from a program that with Stevens would be a contender to win the league year after year to a team that may contend once very few years.

Agreed.

xubrew
07-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Did I mention his contract in my post? No. Because at the time at which I wrote it, the details of the agreement had yet to be released. Nonetheless, nothing that you've said, or the information that has since been released - a six year agreement valued at $22 million - changes the premise of my post, which was that NBA coaches don't make significantly more than college coaches. In this case, Stevens makes $3.6 million a year.

In 2010, Mike Krzyzewski received $7.2 million in compensation, while Rick Pitino received $8.9 million: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-05-16/mike-krzyzewski-duke-salary-over-seven-million/54992790/1

It's $22 million in base sallary. He'll have endorsements, a coaches show, bonuses, and other things that will boost that sallary up even more. I think $8.9 million is what Rick Pitino made in total. $3.6 million in base salary is a lot more than what most college coaches make. You can probably count on one hand the coaches that make more than that.

xubrew
07-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Deja vu.

When Lickliter left Butler, everyone was saying the same thing. Stevens was such an unknown, that in one of Butler's first televised games, the announcers thought he was a player in street clothes. It wasn't as if he was immediately praised as a home run hire for Butler. He took over a program that had made the Sweet Sixteen, had been in the rankings for most of the season, lost to Florida in a very close game, and was then written off after Lickliter left. We've seen this movie before.

I think Stevens did a great job. I also think that after making their second Sweet Sixteen in five seasons, Butler began to focus more resources on recruiting, scheduling and marketing, and that also played a role in it. Stevens was a big part of the continued and improve success, but he was not the only player.

Butler is still a very attractive job. Saul Phillips at North Dakota State would be a good hire. I think Scotty Davenport at Bellarmine is at least worth looking at (took over a mediocre div2 team and made htem a top five program, former assoc. head coach at Louisville, and knows the area when it comes to recruiting). Chris Mooney would be another good hire. I don't know if they'll look at all, or any of those guys, but I think they're in a position to get a good coach, even if it ends up being someone that people aren't all that familiar with. I wouldn't be too surprised if they at least reached out to Wojo at Duke. They've made good hires in this situation before, and they've done it often enough to where I'm not just going to assume they won't be able to do it again and that the ride is definitely over. I don't think they'll be a consistent Final Four team, but there really isn't a single program that is. I do think they'll continue to be a consistent top 25 team.

XUFan09
07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
You mention Chris Mooney, and I realized how much sense it would make. The type of players Butler has in the system and on the recruiting trail right now would work very well in the Princeton offense.

Now, it might be unlikely, since Butler likes to keep this kind of thing in the family, but that would be an awesome hire.

Muskie
07-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I see all these potential names being tossed around and none of them strike me as a Big East Caliber hire. Maybe I'm being naive but this new conference should make it easier to hire a known commodity ?

xubrew
07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
I see all these potential names being tossed around and none of them strike me as a Big East Caliber hire. Maybe I'm being naive but this new conference should make it easier to hire a known commodity ?

I am completely serious when I say this. I think Barry Collier is as good at hiring basketball coaches, and running a basketball program from an administrative standpoint, as any athletic director in the country. He was instrumental in getting them to both the Atlantic Ten and Big East. He made good hires in the past, and he realizes something that every A.D. needs to recognize, but that very few do. You don't need to win the press conference with a big name. You just need a good coach that will become a big name.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hire someone that the general fans are not all that familiar with. I also wouldn't be surprised if that person ends up doing a fantastic job. Collier seems to be good at identifying outstanding coaches before anyone else realizes they're outstanding coaches.

XUFan09
07-04-2013, 12:11 PM

I think Butler is a weird case. They care a lot about the "Butler Way" or whatever they call it, and they'll focus on coaches they trust will work within that system. I honestly think Mooney would work within that system, but maybe Collier can find a better fit than that.

Juice
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I think Butler is a weird case. They care a lot about the "Butler Way" or whatever they call it, and they'll focus on coaches they trust will work within that system. I honestly think Mooney would work within that system, but maybe Collier can find a better fit than that.

CBS is reporting that Jordan, the assistant from Michigan, is the likely candidate.

xubrew
07-04-2013, 01:11 PM
CBS is reporting that Jordan, the assistant from Michigan, is the likely candidate.

Considering how blindsided the media was by Stevens leaving, I'm simply not going to believe any of the rumors they report.

I'm picking on the media, not you.

JTG
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Duke wouldn't pay stevens 7mil. 3.2 mil plus extra pay for endts is 3+ times what he got at Butler. He'll make a fortune when he gets fires from Boston.so STFU.

Charlesbt4
07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Duke wouldn't pay stevens 7mil. 3.2 mil plus extra pay for endts is 3+ times what he got at Butler. He'll make a fortune when he gets fires from Boston.so STFU.

Suddenly, I feel as if I'm debating a 14-year-old girl over Twitter. Did you find any nice clothes at Hot Topic?

Please, try writing in English.

wkrq59
07-04-2013, 11:59 PM
It's $22 million in base sallary. He'll have endorsements, a coaches show, bonuses, and other things that will boost that sallary up even more. I think $8.9 million is what Rick Pitino made in total. $3.6 million in base salary is a lot more than what most college coaches make. You can probably count on one hand the coaches that make more than that.

Think of that 22 million base over what, 6 years? Ok, that's roughly 3.6 a year. Now, the most important thing in the contract. HIS PER DIEM ON THE ROAD. What do they play 82 games a year plus preseason and post, say it's 19 games minimum= 50 games. How about several hundred $$$$$ per day? I know one NBA assistant who banked his entire pay check and lived on his per diem for more than 10 years. The guy was making 250,000m a year, and that went stright into his bank where he invested damn near all of it. There'll be no benefit games. Stevens is a fmily man who will send that money to momma at home with the kids to be invested while he lives on the per diem. Throw in the endorsements, TV and radio, cars, and he has few if any worries.

danaandvictory
07-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Would you leave a comfortable job for a more difficult one if it came with the guarantee -- not the promise, the guarantee -- of lifetime financial security? I would.

Muskie
07-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Would you leave a comfortable job for a more difficult one if it came with the guarantee -- not the promise, the guarantee -- of lifetime financial security? I would.

I would as well.

muskiefan82
07-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Yes. Especially when I can go back to a comfortable job easily if it doesn't work out. This decision is the definition of "no-brainer"

ArizonaXUGrad
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
It was definitely an easy choice for Stevens. Not sure what the Celtics are thinking.

Whomever takes over this job is going to have to figure out who on that team is going to play point guard. The Big East will kill them if they can't find someone good. Aldridge and Barlow are undersized and Morgan is a natural SG. Using Jones as a Point-forward will only work short term.

xubrew
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
A lot of big time college coaches have been at places where, for the most part, the team was all about them. On top of that, they liked it that way. That isn't Stevens, though. He doesn't put himself up on a pedistal, so I think the NBA players will respond just fine to him. If anything, he has the right temperament to coach in the NBA. I think he'll do fine.

vee4xu
07-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I haven't taken time to read all of the posts in this thread, so sorry ahead of time if this is redundant. But, teams like dayton and SLU have to be beside themselves now that Stevens has left. In their respective minds, and possibly in reality, the coin toss would have been between these two teams to join the BE with a Steven-less Butler, had that been the case when the choices to join were made. Oh well, that's how she rolls!

XUFan09
07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I haven't taken time to read all of the posts in this thread, so sorry ahead of time if this is redundant. But, teams like dayton and SLU have to be beside themselves now that Stevens has left. In their respective minds, and possibly in reality, the coin toss would have been between these two teams to join the BE with a Steven-less Butler, had that been the case when the choices to join were made. Oh well, that's how she rolls!

I'm sure some of their fans think that. Hell, I saw a VCU fan trolling on Holy Land of Hoops about how the Big East must regret their decision. That doesn't make it true though. Knowing what we know now, I would still take Butler over any of those programs, because you have to think of the long term, past any current coach. Butler is more than just Stevens, though they definitely took a hit as a program with this loss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

LA Muskie
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm sure some of their fans think that. Hell, I saw a VCU fan trolling on Holy Land of Hoops about how the Big East must regret their decision. That doesn't make it true though. Knowing what we know now, I would still take Butler over any of those programs, because you have to think of the long term, past any current coach. Butler is more than just Stevens, though they definitely took a hit as a program with this loss.

I agree. Even a Stevens-less Butler easily would have been a Top 3 choice for the new Big East.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD