PDA

View Full Version : Mark Lyons

paulxu
06-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I understand that this player created a lot of emotions in fans...both positive and negative.
From my perspective, not knowing him personally, I was always impressed by the passion he had for winning, and apparent lack of self control in often critical times.

Regardless, he contributed to a lot of success in the program, and continued our long string of graduating senior basketball players.
He seemed to have success at Arizona, and now I guess is trying to get a crack at pro ball. With only one year to develop true point guard skills, it will be an uphill battle, and maybe he ends up in Europe.

But here are a couple of recent notes:

Lyons may have very well been the most exciting player at Portsmouth, exhibiting a few Russell Westbrook-esque moments while running the point. It’s not too often that you see your lead guard split a pick and roll, come down the middle, and bang right in traffic. Well, Lyons did that—twice. It was clear that he wasn’t a natural pure point guard, but he was good running the pick and roll, scored the ball at will, and exhibited a truly special level of talent en route to winning the championship. The upstate NY native needs to gain more poise as a decision maker, but the ridiculous amount of talent that he has is enough to supplant him on the NBA radar.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/04/portsmouth-invitational-undrafted/

And I guess he's trying to workout now for NBA teams:
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/05/nba-pre-draft-tour-mark-lyons-workout/

Most of all I appreciate that if you go to his twitter page, he still notes XU4Life, and has the X logo prominently displayed.

Good luck Mark.

Muskie
06-17-2013, 08:52 PM
I understand that this player created a lot of emotions in fans...both positive and negative.
From my perspective, not knowing him personally, I was always impressed by the passion he had for winning, and apparent lack of self control in often critical times.

Regardless, he contributed to a lot of success in the program, and continued our long string of graduating senior basketball players.
He seemed to have success at Arizona, and now I guess is trying to get a crack at pro ball. With only one year to develop true point guard skills, it will be an uphill battle, and maybe he ends up in Europe.

But here are a couple of recent notes:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/04/portsmouth-invitational-undrafted/

And I guess he's trying to workout now for NBA teams:
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/05/nba-pre-draft-tour-mark-lyons-workout/

Most of all I appreciate that if you go to his twitter page, he still notes XU4Life, and has the X logo prominently displayed.

Good luck Mark.

If Lance Stephenson can find an NBA job, I have no doubt Mark Lyons can.

Milhouse
06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Haven't seen him pop up on many draft boards but with such a weak draft class he'll have a shot.

ammtd34
06-18-2013, 07:25 AM
I hope he gets a shot.

They also might have wanted to use a word other than "supplant."

waggy
06-18-2013, 09:43 AM
I know he was in with a group of other draft prospects for a Kings workout. The other guys got all the media attention, but I saw him in some video.

JTG
06-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Indiana needs a backup point, and D West would make sure Lyons behaves...or else. DW straightened out Stephenson.

waggy
06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
DW straightened out Stephenson.

Ha ha. Really, is there anything DFW cannot do?

mistabeecee41
06-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I think Mark has a better shot than Tu did. Tu was an amazing college player but his game just didn't translate to the NBA.

Mark is faster, stronger, taller and more athletic. Doubt he gets drafted but I'm sure he will get a summer league invite just as Tu did. Will be a tough wall to climb but good luck to him.

Juice
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Have you guys seen Mark's assist to turnover rate? There is no way he plays in the NBA. I like Mark, and I wanted him to finish his career at X. And I certainly want him to make it in the NBA but it ain't happening. He is barely 6 feet tall. He is quick but it's not like he's going to blow by bigger, stronger NBA PG. And he doesn't shoot well enough from behind the arc. He had his chance to prove he was a PG in Arizona this year. He didn't really show anything more than what he did at XU.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/41817/mark-lyons

GIMMFD
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
He will get his shot, definitely a summer league invite, he's a pretty explosive player, and hell Tyronn Lue made it to the NBA being 6'0 flat, I think Mark Lyons can...

PMI
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
He will get his shot, definitely a summer league invite, he's a pretty explosive player, and hell Tyronn Lue made it to the NBA being 6'0 flat, I think Mark Lyons can...

Lue is an interesting comparison. If Lyons decides to put in the defensive focus and effort that Lue did, he might have a shot. Lyons is a pretty decent shooter and a fearless guard, which works both to his advantage and detriment. His biggest problem is that he's not a true point. Short SG's in the NBA usually have a tough time unless they're absolutely lights out shooters like Steph Curry, but typically the short SG's who do make it tend to have Lyons' kind of attitude towards the game, which is a fearless and extremely confident approach. If Lyons finds himself with the right franchise, he might be able to crack a roster. An uphill battle for sure, but bigger surprises have broken through. I'll be pulling for him.

SemajParlor
07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Real tough to say he might have a chance at becoming a guy who is most known for being crossed and stepped over.

bomber
07-03-2013, 09:38 PM
You take Lyons talent crossed with Tu's heart/determination = NBA player. Individually, not so much.

Juice
07-04-2013, 12:33 PM
You take Lyons talent crossed with Tu's heart/determination = NBA player. Individually, not so much.

Really? I always saw Cheekz as a highly competitive, determined player. And I don't think his problem making it to the NBA has anything to do with determination. He's a 6 foot shooting guard who is trying to turn into a point guard. Some guys are great college players but just don't have the physical tools to make it in the NBA.

mistabeecee41
07-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Looks like his journey starts this weekend at the Vegas Summer league - he's on the Raptors roster.

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releases/summerleagueroster-070913/

He will be battling former Wisconsin standout Jordan Taylor and UMass Guard Ricky Harris for minutes at PG. Michael Jordan 2.0 (Chris Wright) will also be playing for the Raps.

blueblob06
07-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Several tweets today saying that Mark Lyons has signed with a team in France.

Good luck to Mark.

paulxu
07-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Is he going to do the Vegas summer series with the Raptors before going to France?

Sean Miller ‏@UACoachMiller 7h
Good luck to @OnlyMoog in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas with the @Raptors! #APlayersProgram

Mark moog Lyons ‏@OnlyMoog 6h
@UACoachMiller thanks coach

Milhouse
07-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Is he going to do the Vegas summer series with the Raptors before going to France?

Sean Miller ‏@UACoachMiller 7h
Good luck to @OnlyMoog in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas with the @Raptors! #APlayersProgram

Mark moog Lyons ‏@OnlyMoog 6h
@UACoachMiller thanks coach

Probably has an NBA opt out in his contract if he were to get signed by an NBA team.

paulxu
07-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Maybe he'll run into Kenny out there who is going to be playing for the Bucks.

nkymuskie
07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Lyons left the Raptors after 3 games, only appearing in 1 for 8 total minutes of play. He will be heading to France to play basketball next year. Here's a link with a little more info

http://t.co/KkLPnTtwbW

I don't know what happened with Kenny. He has zero appearances for the Bucks.

Milhouse
07-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Kenny was most likely just a roster filler and never really had a chance.

gladdenguy
07-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Lyons must have whined to an official about a call. He was immediately yanked. Good. Maybe he can get an attitude adjustment along with going overseas.

paulxu
07-26-2013, 06:30 AM
An all expenses paid reflection session in France. Sign me up!

mistabeecee41
07-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Lyons must have whined to an official about a call. He was immediately yanked. Good. Maybe he can get an attitude adjustment along with going overseas.

Agreed. Funniest part are the claims that he 'withdrew' from the Summer League team - The Raptors Official Media Relations twitter account broke the news claiming he was released. That'll deflate an ego.

The #Raptors announced today they have released guards Ricky Harris and Mark Lyons from their NBA Summer League squad.

Xavier
07-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Still don't understand the hate for Lyons. Without him Xavier wouldn't have gotton to the sweet 16 his last year at X. (They probably wouldn't have made the tournament). You can't really use the argument that he was a black eye on the program and not think the same thing of Tu.

LA Muskie
07-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Still don't understand the hate for Lyons. Without him Xavier wouldn't have gotton to the sweet 16 his last year at X. (They probably wouldn't have made the tournament). You can't really use the argument that he was a black eye on the program and not think the same thing of Tu.

Yes you can. I agree we probably don't make the tourney in 2011-2012 without him. But it's tough to say for sure because, by all reports (seriously...they are universal), he was an utter cancer in the locker room and huddle.

PMI
07-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Mark Lyons basically single-handedly stole the win against dayton in AC down the stretch, without which, we would not have made the NCAA tournament.

LA Muskie
07-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Mark Lyons basically single-handedly stole the win against dayton in AC down the stretch, without which, we would not have made the NCAA tournament.

That's a fair point.

Masterofreality
07-27-2013, 11:31 AM
He's a Xavier graduate and gone.

Good Luck.

Xavier
07-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Yes you can. I agree we probably don't make the tourney in 2011-2012 without him. But it's tough to say for sure because, by all reports (seriously...they are universal), he was an utter cancer in the locker room and huddle.

I don't know, Xavier fans easily forgive Tu-He ripped off a water fountain at Butler, each were part of the fight, and really it was Holloways comments about being Gangsters that got most national pub. Each played with the same attitude on the court.

I will make it clear by saying I really like both players. I just don't see how you can think Mark put a black eye on the program and Tu didn't.

Muskie
07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't know, Xavier fans easily forgive Tu-He ripped off a water fountain at Butler, each were part of the fight, and really it was Holloways comments about being Gangsters that got most national pub. Each played with the same attitude on the court.

I will make it clear by saying I really like both players. I just don't see how you can think Mark put a black eye on the program and Tu didn't.

I think many people think that Mark was the poor influence on Tu. I don't know if that is true or not.

mistabeecee41
07-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I think many people think that Mark was the poor influence on Tu. I don't know if that is true or not.

That's all hearsay though. Sounds similar to when a parent refuses to believe their perfect child could do wrong and blames it on a 'bad influence' of a friend.

LA Muskie
07-27-2013, 03:37 PM

I guess I wasn't thinking along the same lines as you. I don't think either put a "black eye" on the program for anything but a relatively short (a matter of months) moment in time. For that short period of time Tu probably took the brunt of things -- that is true. But I also think that when people look back at both players (within the program, XU fans, and even just casual sports fans) Tu is and will be remembered very fondly as a basketball player and a man who brought far more to XU than he took. while Lyons will be remembered as a talented but troubled kid who drove everyone nuts. And I think that is fair in both respects.

Milhouse
07-29-2013, 07:29 AM
It's just stupid to say something like without Lyons there would be no sweet 16 in 2011-2012.

So are we going all the way back then in terms of Lyons not coming here period? If Lyons doesn't come maybe he doesn't talk shit during the Crosstown and the Brawl never happens and Xavier doesn't have its downward spiral of a season. Not saying the Brawl was just his fault by any means, but if we're in hypotheticals you can go that far back...If Lyons never comes maybe Xavier isn't ranked in top 10 and has a great team. Etc....

If Lyons wasn't in that Dayton game then maybe it's Tu that steps up. Hypotheticals are stupid especially in past tense. I know sports fans tend to stick them in,but end of the day he's a Xavier Grad and most considered his departure a good thing....I'm personally happy he didn't rub off on Semaj.

drudy23
07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Tu's mental toughness elevated his game.

Cheeks emotional immaturity hindered his game.

And Tu had steel balls.

PMI
07-29-2013, 07:43 AM
It's just stupid to say something like without Lyons there would be no sweet 16 in 2011-2012.

So are we going all the way back then in terms of Lyons not coming here period? If Lyons doesn't come maybe he doesn't talk shit during the Crosstown and the Brawl never happens and Xavier doesn't have its downward spiral of a season. Not saying the Brawl was just his fault by any means, but if we're in hypotheticals you can go that far back...If Lyons never comes maybe Xavier isn't ranked in top 10 and has a great team. Etc....

If Lyons wasn't in that Dayton game then maybe it's Tu that steps up. Hypotheticals are stupid especially in past tense. I know sports fans tend to stick them in,but end of the day he's a Xavier Grad and most considered his departure a good thing....I'm personally happy he didn't rub off on Semaj.

Did you watch that dayton game? Nobody else was stepping up. There is really no need to over think it or exaggerate the hypothetical angle. Nobody is speculating how things would have been in se other alternate universe, other than yourself. But I will say it again. We don't win that game without Lyons. No need to take it for more than it is, but it is the fact of the matter. We were dead in the water and he took over completely. We were very fortunate to escape that one.

Milhouse
07-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Did you watch that dayton game? Nobody else was stepping up. There is really no need to over think it or exaggerate the hypothetical angle. Nobody is speculating how things would have been in se other alternate universe, other than yourself. But I will say it again. We don't win that game without Lyons. No need to take it for more than it is, but it is the fact of the matter. We were dead in the water and he took over completely. We were very fortunate to escape that one.

Right he did step up but if he wasn't in that game the entire course of the game is altered.

Credit where credit is due. He did step up in that game but I'm not a fan of the "if we didn't have lyons we wouldnt have been in the tournament dadada speech" It's impossible to say what would happen without him. If he didn't take those shots someone else would've (probably tu) and maybe he gets hot and wins it for us then also. Was never a big fan of him when he was here and now i'm indifferent that he's gone. Just played too out of control, sometimes to his benefit other times to his fault. I found it to be more often the latter.

PMI
07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Right he did step up but if he wasn't in that game the entire course of the game is altered.

Credit where credit is due. He did step up in that game but I'm not a fan of the "if we didn't have lyons we wouldnt have been in the tournament dadada speech" It's impossible to say what would happen without him. If he didn't take those shots someone else would've (probably tu) and maybe he gets hot and wins it for us then also. Was never a big fan of him when he was here and now i'm indifferent that he's gone. Just played too out of control, sometimes to his benefit other times to his fault. I found it to be more often the latter.

Ok. So you can't know completely what would've happened if you change something about the past. I think it is at least a very, very safe assumption that if you take away the second best player from a team that was one of the last to sneak onto the NCAA tournament, they would not have gone to the sweet 16. There's no way to guarantee anything, but I think it's about as safe a guess as any. My opinion on Lyons is well-documented. I think he was a better and more valuable player than you seem to give him credit for. I think he's an asshole who undermined his superiors routinely, but he stayed out of any real trouble and contributed to some good Xavier teams, so I hold no ill feelings towards him. I hope he does well from here on put, but I'd be lying if I said I cared very much.

EDIT: I have no idea how that smiley face got in my post. Must have accidentally hit something, but I would like to go on record and say that I'm still very much anti-emoticon, and would never willingly use any.

Xavier
07-29-2013, 02:18 PM

I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree with it. It would be like saying "If we didn't have Duncan, Stan, and Drew who is to say we still wouldn't have made the elite 8 that season?".