PDA

View Full Version : Former Mizzou assistant Rick Carter announced as new Xavier assistant coach

BMoreX
06-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Shannon Russell ‏@slrussell 30m

Former Missouri assistant coach Rick Carter is #Xavier's new men's basketball assistant, replacing Ashley Howard.

Cheesehead
06-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Cool, I guess.

XUFan09
06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Great ties in Michigan, an area that has been good to Xavier, and he worked with the guards at Mizzou, who has put fairly successful guard-oriented teams on the court as of late.

GIMMFD
06-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I'll take it, Phil Pressley is good.

xubrew
06-17-2013, 09:33 AM
I'll take it, Phil Pressley is good.

Except when he's not. He did have some good moments, but he had some bad ones as well.

I'm less than impressed with what Frank Haith has done with Mizzou. That doesn't mean his assistants are bad. This could be a big time homerun, but he comes from a place that I think has been more disappointing than successful. They took over a program that couldn't possibly be more set up for success than what it was two years ago, and two years later I think it's safe to say they've digressed.

Haith's old team, which he left in horrible shape, is doing better than it's ever done before now that Larranagga is there.

XU-XHI
06-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Carter also has been a part of Izzo's staff at Mich. St. Not a bad coach to have learned from.

xubrew
06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Carter also has been a part of Izzo's staff at Mich. St. Not a bad coach to have learned from.

Okay, now THAT is impressive. That, and the fact that he's smart enough to get away from Mizzou is a great sign.

paulxu
06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
So was Brian Gregory.

xu95
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
So was Brian Gregory.

He did great things for Dayton.

Juice
06-17-2013, 11:29 AM
He did great things for Dayton.

and for Xavier

xubrew
06-17-2013, 11:36 AM
and for Xavier

Oh zing!!

Now that Bobinski is his current boss, I wonder how much longer he'll be doing great things for the rest of the ACC.

GIMMFD
06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Except when he's not. He did have some good moments, but he had some bad ones as well.

I'm less than impressed with what Frank Haith has done with Mizzou. That doesn't mean his assistants are bad. This could be a big time homerun, but he comes from a place that I think has been more disappointing than successful. They took over a program that couldn't possibly be more set up for success than what it was two years ago, and two years later I think it's safe to say they've digressed.

Haith's old team, which he left in horrible shape, is doing better than it's ever done before now that Larranagga is there.

Haith never impressed me much though. I never found him to be a big time coach, hell I thought Missouri REALLY dropped the ball on that one. Phil Pressley had his moments like each athlete does (maybe him, more than others) but I still think he's a solid player, as is Dixon (I think that's his name) was for Mizzou as well, and now that Carter has worked with Izzo, I think we made the right step into having him be our new assistant coach.

PMI
06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
You guys are being too nice. Frank Haith isn't a mildly unimpressive coach. He's an awful coach. He's a shady phony who gets less done with the talent he has than your run of the mill average coach. He left a dark cloud over Miami and then Jim Laranaga came right in, with many of Haith's players, and turned them into a national contender. Then he inherited a very talented Missouri roster and got bounced by a 15 seed with it, and then regressed significantly the next year. I have no doubt that his tenure at Missouri will end in an ugly, graceless manner.

Juice
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
You guys are being too nice. Frank Haith isn't a mildly unimpressive coach. He's an awful coach. He's a shady phony who gets less done with the talent he has than your run of the mill average coach. He left a dark cloud over Miami and then Jim Laranaga came right in, with many of Haith's players, and turned them into a national contender. Then he inherited a very talented Missouri roster and got bounced by a 15 seed with it, and then regressed significantly the next year. I have no doubt that his tenure at Missouri will end in an ugly, graceless manner.

Not to mention that he was being investigated by the NCAA

xubrew
06-20-2013, 09:20 AM

This far more accurately describes Frank Haith than what I said in my post. I was trying to think of a nice way of saying that the fact this guy comes from Mizzou doesn't impress me. The reason?? See above. That doesn't mean he's not a good coach. It just means that he came from a bad staff. Hell, that may be why he wanted out, and if that's the case then good for him.