PDA

View Full Version : Adam Zagoria (ZagsBlog) Big East Pre-Season Rankings

mistabeecee41
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/sny-big-east-preseason-rankings-all-big-east-teams-top-incoming-recruits/

One of the few (probably only) that has us in his top 5. Maybe I'm underestimating the impact Vezenkov will have? Seems to think very highly of him.

kyxu
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Vezenkov on preseason All-Rooke Team. Really hopes he makes it to campus.

GoMuskies
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Looks to me like we need to up our recruiting game.

I personally expect Vez to come in and be a stud. That's not based on much more than the snippets I've read about him here and there, though.

BBC 08
06-12-2013, 12:56 PM
CBS Sports has us at 5 so Zags isn't the only one.

bobbiemcgee
06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/sny-big-east-preseason-rankings-all-big-east-teams-top-incoming-recruits/

One of the few (probably only) that has us in his top 5. Maybe I'm underestimating the impact Vezenkov will have? Seems to think very highly of him.

Vez is widely considered the best NCAA player in Europe. We will have some shooters this year.

casualfan
06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Vez is widely considered the best NCAA player in Europe. We will have some shooters this year.

Out of curiosity, any idea how many players from Europe will be going to college in the states?

Mrs. Garrett
06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I guess everyone has forgotten that there were several reports that Reynolds used to dominate McGary when they played together at Prep School.

ammtd34
06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I guess everyone has forgotten that there were several reports that Reynolds used to dominate McGary when they played together at Prep School.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15585042/xavier-marks-the-spot-for-hidden-gem-reynolds

XUFan09
06-12-2013, 01:55 PM

I guess Zagoria didn't forget, but seriously, he has been the exception that proves the rule. This ranking gets my respect simply for being the first one to remember Jalen and Myles, along with the Stain. He also mentions Randolph in the top recruits list. Kudos, Zag.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

PMI
06-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Vezenkov will be a huge wild card. I just don't know what to expect. He could be anything from an immediate impact player to a guy who's not ready for many minutes. My guess is he'll be somewhere in between. He needs to add weight and he'll be young and in a new country, and his defense and physicality are complete question marks right now. But he also sounds to be very talented and could be quite a mismatch with his stroke. I think if he can at least put some pressure on Justin Martin's playing time/production, it will be a successful first year for him. I believe Xavier will be better than St. John's and will compete with Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and possibly Villanova at the top of the league. I believe Semaj Christon will be absolutely phenomenal as a sophomore. I believe we will have a very good season and receive a nice seed to the dance, before going on a nice run. Nothing that happened last year has any bearing on this new edition of Xavier Musketeers in my mind. New year, new league, much more talented team. I'm pumped.

nuts4xu
06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Nothing that happened last year has any bearing on this new edition of Xavier Musketeers in my mind. New year, new league, much more talented team. I'm pumped.

Hear! Hear!

paulxu
06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Jalen Reynolds will be a 21 year old freshman in December.
Mitch McGary started last year for a team that played for the national championship.
It would be perfect if he could do McGary one better on the college level also.
He vowed 3 years ago to get X to the Final Four. I'm ready.

xudash
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Vezenkov will be a huge wild card. I just don't know what to expect. He could be anything from an immediate impact player to a guy who's not ready for many minutes. My guess is he'll be somewhere in between. He needs to add weight and he'll be young and in a new country, and his defense and physicality are complete question marks right now. But he also sounds to be very talented and could be quite a mismatch with his stroke. I think if he can at least put some pressure on Justin Martin's playing time/production, it will be a successful first year for him. I believe Xavier will be better than St. John's and will compete with Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and possibly Villanova at the top of the league. I believe Semaj Christon will be absolutely phenomenal as a sophomore. I believe we will have a very good season and receive a nice seed to the dance, before going on a nice run. Nothing that happened last year has any bearing on this new edition of Xavier Musketeers in my mind. New year, new league, much more talented team. I'm pumped.

I'm with you all the way on this line of thinking.

SixFig
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking worst case scenario win all but 2 conference home games (7-2) and roughly split road games (4-5) with make us 11-7 and with a decent non-conference and representative conference tournament should secure us at least a berth in the big dance.

Why can't the season start!

GIMMFD
06-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Top 5? What is this malarkey, we should be number 1. But yes, very excited, great talent, great skill. The pieces are there!!!

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
06-13-2013, 07:36 AM
I looked for a ranking of the best basketball leagues outside the NBA and found a Bleacher Report article issued on August 2012 that ranks the Greece league where Vezenkov plays as the #2. Here is the link.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1291287-power-ranking-the-best-basketball-leagues-in-the-world-outside-of-the-nba

I looked for his stats and from what I read this season he played in 20 games and averaged 4.1 points and 2.6 rebounds in 14.4 MPG. Here is the link: http://www.esake.gr/main/index.php?pl=12&lng=en&pfpar=cGxheWVyaWQ9MjAxMA==

Now, these statistics might not look like much but considering that we are talking about a kid playing with grown men in one of the top basketball leagues in the world, we need to, at least, give him the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I believe he will be an immediate impact player. After all, how many of the current collegiate players have international experience and professional experience. From the videos that I’ve seen, he has a good handle of the ball and can shoot and pass the ball. His weight has been mentioned as a problem. I agree that he needs to put some muscle but I don’t see it as such a big problem or impediment to contribute immediately at the collegiate level, vis a vis the NBA. At any rate, I’m sure the conditioning staff will address that from Day 1. BTW if you go to youtube and type “Bulgary U18 basketball” you will find several videos and see him. Also, here is an article from FIBA Europe that I think it has not been posted here. http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.coid_WKeMMK3EHMsn9qD1kwRmo1.articleMod e_on.html

xudash
06-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I looked for a ranking of the best basketball leagues outside the NBA and found a Bleacher Report article issued on August 2012 that ranks the Greece league where Vezenkov plays as the #2. Here is the link.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1291287-power-ranking-the-best-basketball-leagues-in-the-world-outside-of-the-nba

I looked for his stats and from what I read this season he played in 20 games and averaged 4.1 points and 2.6 rebounds in 14.4 MPG. Here is the link: http://www.esake.gr/main/index.php?pl=12&lng=en&pfpar=cGxheWVyaWQ9MjAxMA==

Now, these statistics might not look like much but considering that we are talking about a kid playing with grown men in one of the top basketball leagues in the world, we need to, at least, give him the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I believe he will be an immediate impact player. After all, how many of the current collegiate players have international experience and professional experience. From the videos that I’ve seen, he has a good handle of the ball and can shoot and pass the ball. His weight has been mentioned as a problem. I agree that he needs to put some muscle but I don’t see it as such a big problem or impediment to contribute immediately at the collegiate level, vis a vis the NBA. At any rate, I’m sure the conditioning staff will address that from Day 1. BTW if you go to youtube and type “Bulgary U18 basketball” you will find several videos and see him. Also, here is an article from FIBA Europe that I think it has not been posted here. http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.coid_WKeMMK3EHMsn9qD1kwRmo1.articleMod e_on.html

To all your excellent research can be added one simple point: Chris Mack thought enough of this young man to go across the pond after him, during the season, if I recall correctly. That was a major investment in recruiting effort. He had to have fully understood his potential.

ammtd34
06-13-2013, 01:10 PM
To all your excellent research can be added one simple point: Chris Mack thought enough of this young man to go across the pond after him, during the season, if I recall correctly. That was a major investment in recruiting effort. He had to have fully understood his potential.

Really good point.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Really good point.

Yep. In Mack I Trust.

bobbiemcgee
06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Jalen Reynolds will be a 21 year old freshman in December.

When Martin finishes we'll have to call him Dr. Martin with a PHD.

ArizonaXUGrad
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
When Martin finishes we'll have to call him Dr. Martin with a PHD.

If Reynolds decides to play 4 full years and exhausts his eligibility at 25, that could be an advantage for us basically having an adult playing the PF spot. I think we all hope that Martin takes advantage of that in his Junior/Senior years.