PDA

View Full Version : Dez by Comparison

paulxu
06-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Thought it was interesting that Dez' situation was used with this Missouri kid.
What struck me the most about the article was that his AD was trashing him to other schools who inquired; sure he'll end up someplace, but don't know about getting the waiver Dez did.
I think Dez' situation was improved by a positive effort on the school's part to help him with the NCAA request, even though there may not be evidence of that.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9343285/michael-dixon-formerly-missouri-tigers-says-not-picked-new-school

GoMuskies
06-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I think one key difference is that the kid from Mizzou actually appears to have done something wrong.

Actually, reading over the article, hard to say if Dixon did anything wrong.

paulxu
06-05-2013, 08:27 AM
It actually reminded me more of Kavanaugh's situation. 2 time allegation.

ArizonaXUGrad
06-05-2013, 11:35 AM
It actually reminded me more of Kavanaugh's situation. 2 time allegation.

2 times definitely sends a message to the administration.

SixFig
06-06-2013, 02:18 PM
As much as I hate contributing to Dez threads, here is an article that makes the comparison of the 2 situations

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9348420/as-michael-dixon-seeks-waiver-judge-jury-precedent-leaves-ncaa-little-choice-college-basketball

DC Muskie
06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
As much as I hate contributing to Dez threads, here is an article that makes the comparison of the 2 situations

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9348420/as-michael-dixon-seeks-waiver-judge-jury-precedent-leaves-ncaa-little-choice-college-basketball

I said it before and I'll say it again, the NCAA made a terrible decision in allowing Dez to play this season.

paulxu
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
It looks like (I can't really tell) that Dixon was kicked off the team last year.
If so, I wonder why he didn't transfer then? So he will essentially have completed a sit-out year, just not at Memphis.
What this also looks similar to is Kavanaugh. He was dismissed from school/team, sat a year, and is now going to play...albeit on his former team.
But same sort of double allegation and punishment.

LA Muskie
06-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again, the NCAA made a terrible decision in allowing Dez to play this season.

There is a saying among lawyers: "Bad facts make bad law." I've always thought that was apropos of the Dez situation.

GoMuskies
06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Luckily the NCAA isn't bound by precedent.

MHettel
06-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Yeah. That was easy to see. i would have bet my house that they would NEVER let Dez play, for that specific reason.

So, if you are kid that wants to transfer, you are are better off getting tossed completely out of school. The you claim a hardshis that you cant play becasuse you arent even a student. Thats what i can a perverse incentive.

And, where is the accountability for the kids? Get accused of rape and get thropwn out of school? no problem at all, just transfer!

smileyy
06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
And, where is the accountability for the kids? Get accused of rape and get thrown out of school? no problem at all, just transfer!

I saw that as a complete lack of respect for the member schools.

MuskiePimp23
06-06-2013, 08:18 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again to you...the NCAA made an absolutely fantastic decision to allow Dez to play this season and the Xavier board of conduct and administration is completely at fault on this one with there absolutely horrific decision to expel Dez from Xavier.

DC Muskie
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again to you...the NCAA made an absolutely fantastic decision to allow Dez to play this season and the Xavier board of conduct and administration is completely at fault on this one with there absolutely horrific decision to expel Dez from Xavier.

Wrong.

STL_XUfan
06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I say this as a Missouri fan. The second allegation against Dixon was suspect, however the first allegation was swept under the rug and seemed pretty credible when it leaked out in this whole mess.

boozehound
06-06-2013, 09:36 PM

You have got to let that go, man.

TUclutch
06-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I haven't said it before, but I have no problem saying it again. You're wrong.

STL_XUfan
06-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I haven't said it before, but I have no problem saying it again. You're wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk&sns=em

Masterofreality
06-07-2013, 07:00 AM

Wrong.

You have got to let that go, man.

Correct. Wrong, wrong and, errrrrrr, WRONG!

PMI
06-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Was there ever a hint of doubt over what direction this thread was doomed to go in from the beginning?

BandAid
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
All I know is that all you are wrong

gladdenguy
06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Dez deserved to play after doing nothing wrong. He did. Move on.

TUclutch
06-08-2013, 12:11 AM
This.

Kahns Krazy
06-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I would have lost the over/under on the number of posts before Fr. Graham's name was brought into this.

I don't think the NCAA painted itself into a corner with anything. Their were extenuating circumstances in the Wells case, so they granted a waiver. No two cases are ever exactly alike. They can rule either way in the Dixon case too.

I also don't think the concept that one school throws a guy out should make him ineligible. If a kid gets thrown out of BYU for saying "This coffee tastes like shit!" shouldn't he be able to attend another school that doesn't have a problem with that?

nuts4xu
06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
If a kid gets thrown out of BYU for saying "This coffee tastes like shit!" shouldn't he be able to attend another school that doesn't have a problem with that?

Yes he should, especially if the coffee actually tastes like shit.

DC Muskie
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
I would have lost the over/under on the number of posts before Fr. Graham's name was brought into this.

I don't think the NCAA painted itself into a corner with anything. Their were extenuating circumstances in the Wells case, so they granted a waiver. No two cases are ever exactly alike. They can rule either way in the Dixon case too.

I also don't think the concept that one school throws a guy out should make him ineligible. If a kid gets thrown out of BYU for saying "This coffee tastes like shit!" shouldn't he be able to attend another school that doesn't have a problem with that?

What would be the difference between the two? If Missouri decides it's not going to help Dixon?

If you get thrown off the team, you have to sit out a year right? It's pretty interesting that you could stay at the school, but not be on the team, however if the reserve happens, you would be allowed to play wherever you want, and play immediately.

It seems like a reserve way of handing out punishments.

PMI
06-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Whether or not Dez deserved to play is a matter of opinion, but the fact is, the NCAA's hands will never be tied by any "precedents" they set. They've proven time and time again that they will simply do whatever they want, from case to case, and no rhyme or reason is required. Maybe they let Dez play because they liked him, or flipped a coin, or just got laid, or any other number of things. By no means does it mean that if something identical were to happen to somebody else, they would receive the same treatment. That is just what we have to deal with with the NCAA. Unfortunately, we seem to be on the losing side of many of their unmethodical decisions. Maybe they are prejudiced against the letter "X." Who the hell knows.

paulxu
06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
So you are saying I should just sort of forget anything occurring from this Hairston kid, driving a rental car when he's not old enough to rent, the marijuana, the pistol on the ground, etc.?

PMI
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
So you are saying I should just sort of forget anything occurring from this Hairston kid, driving a rental car when he's not old enough to rent, the marijuana, the pistol on the ground, etc.?

Are you asking me in particular? I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure Hairston's fate will be determined by the law, followed by the UNC program, far before any NCAA intervention. But knowing the NCAA, they probably think they could give the guy the death penalty and get away with it.

paulxu
06-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Nah, I was just ruminating on the craziness that is sports.
I expect the same result with this that came from the Duke guy buying 100K of jewelry while still in school.