December:
Sat., Dec. 7 vs. Bowling Green
Tues., Dec. 10 vs. Evansville
Sat., Dec. 14 vs. Cincinnati at U.S. Bank Arena
Sat., Dec. 21 at Alabama
Sat., Dec. 28 vs. Wake Forest

BBC 08
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Interesting that we only have one true road game in the NonCon.

paulxu
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM
What happened to Northwestern?

Milhouse
06-04-2013, 03:09 PM
So how does the Battle for atlantis home game work exactly? It's just a regular home game but one of the B4A teams?

BMoreX
06-04-2013, 03:09 PM
What happened to Northwestern?

Great point, I have no idea.

danaandvictory
06-04-2013, 03:11 PM
So how does the Battle for atlantis home game work exactly? It's just a regular home game but one of the B4A teams?

No, it will be a home game against a low major to be determined later. As for Northwestern, I am a little shocked. Maybe they backed out after the coaching change up there?

BMoreX
06-04-2013, 03:13 PM
No, it will be a home game against a low major to be determined later. As for Northwestern, I am a little shocked. Maybe they backed out after the coaching change up there?

Knowing that, I'd have preferred to play another road game at Northwestern instead of BG/Evansville. Oh well, doesn't matter.

danaandvictory
06-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Knowing that, I'd have preferred to play another road game at Northwestern instead of BG/Evansville. Oh well, doesn't matter.

Me too. I'm puzzled by that, because that was described to me as a game that was definitely on the schedule just a couple of months ago. That's why I'm speculating that Carmody's firing may have played a role.

paulxu
06-04-2013, 03:22 PM
You have to count the exhibition game to get to 18 home games.

Alabama replaced Northwestern I guess.
Would have really liked having another good away game somewhere.
BG and Evansville seem a little cheesy. Maybe VCU would have come back...or the Criers for another chance at Jimmy Carter.

Wait...didn't our new AD come from BG?

Muskie
06-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Ugh. I dislike Tues/Friday matchups.

Muskie
06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
You have to count the exhibition game to get to 18 home games.

Alabama replaced Northwestern I guess.
Would have really liked having another good away game somewhere.
BG and Evansville seem a little cheesy. Maybe VCU would have come back...or the Criers for another chance at Jimmy Carter.

Wait...didn't our new AD come from BG?

Yes he was the AD at BGSU.

danaandvictory
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Shannon also reporting that the UT game is not going to be in the ESPN 24-hour marathon due to the FS1 contract - but will be the primetime game on FS1 the same day.

That probably means we'll go up against Kentucky-UNC or some similar clash of titans but still...

BMoreX
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Shannon Russell ‏@slrussell 2m

No ESPN Hoops Marathon game for #Xavier men's hoops. The Tenn. game was slated for it, but with the Big East contract, home game rights...now go to FOX and FS1. The game will still be on that first Tuesday, but on prime time on FS1. #Xavier

I think previously we heard the Tenn game would be part of the 24 hour marathon.

PMI
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
The Battle for Atlantis should be good, but overall not a very impressive OOC schedule. One road game? Man, we really are in the Big East now...

paulxu
06-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Shannon also reporting that the UT game is not going to be in the ESPN 24-hour marathon due to the FS1 contract

Is that this first salvo fired in the Fox1 vs ESPN war?
I wonder who will broadcast the UC game. Time Warner?

GoMuskies
06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
The Battle for Atlantis should be good, but overall not a very impressive OOC schedule. One road game? Man, we really are in the Big East now...

Are you telling me Evansville wouldn't win the AAC?!?

DC Muskie
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
No way does Chris Collins wants to play us since we didn't hire his overrated ass. No homo.

coasterville95
06-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Well the Crosstown is a neutral site game, but we are the home team. I guess it's what contract is stronger.

HuskyMuskie
06-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Weren't there rumblings of us playing a Pac-12 team as well? I thought we had heard USC, in a attempt to get a game close to B. Randolph's home ground? Or am I making all of this up?

RoseyMuskie
06-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Initially thought the same thing - but a lot of that is due to prior scheduling commitments established before our move to the Big East. If we see that next season after the contracts with Tennessee, Wake, and Miami lapse, then I'll make that comment, but I'm going to hold off for a year. I'd anticipate that next year, we will have Alabama at home, another big name at home, and two legitimate road games.

*I apologize if I'm mistaken about the Wake situation. I know we had previously signed a 10 year deal, Wake reneged, and then a contract was re-upped. I don't know if it is a two year deal or longer. Either way, we'd be at Wake next year, and we'd probably schedule another road game as I previously stated.

Muskie
06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Weren't there rumblings of us playing a Pac-12 team as well? I thought we had heard USC, in a attempt to get a game close to B. Randolph's home ground? Or am I making all of this up?

My vote is making stuff up... I'm just kidding.

DC Muskie
06-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Initially thought the same thing - but a lot of that is due to prior scheduling commitments established before our move to the Big East. If we see that next season after the contracts with Tennessee, Wake, and Miami lapse, then I'll make that comment, but I'm going to hold off for a year. I'd anticipate that next year, we will have Alabama at home, another big name at home, and two legitimate road games.

*I apologize if I'm mistaken about the Wake situation. I know we had previously signed a 10 year deal, Wake reneged, and then a contract was re-upped. I don't know if it is a two year deal or longer. Either way, we'd be at Wake next year, and we'd probably schedule another road game as I previously stated.

Isn't Tennessee a two year deal?

ballyhoohoo
06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I was genuinely excited to see Evansville on the schedule. Then realized it was a year late.

LA Muskie
06-04-2013, 04:45 PM

I don't see how that would work. To qualify as the 4th allowed game in an exempt tourney don't both teams have to be in the tourney?

GoMuskies
06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
I don't see how that would work. To qualify as the 4th allowed game in an exempt tourney don't both teams have to be in the tourney?

Maybe all the teams that are going to Atlantis share a couple of patsies. So those patsies each play four games at the schools that are actually going to Atlantis. Boom, those two patsies are now part of the Paradise Jam. Hopefully when talking to the players they don't lead with the news that they're playing in the Paradise Jam.

XUOHTX
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Uggghh... Now I will have to answer to my UC cousin about how we have a weak OOC because we moved to the Big East. I expected better.

GoMuskies
06-04-2013, 05:01 PM
We had a weak non-conference schedule last year, too. We were just bad enough to make it look pretty tough.

paulxu
06-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Last year sucked. Regardless, I'd rather we play a respectable OOC schedule. This doesn't quite look like it.

LA Muskie
06-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Maybe all the teams that are going to Atlantis share a couple of patsies. So those patsies each play four games at the schools that are actually going to Atlantis. Boom, those two patsies are now part of the Paradise Jam. Hopefully when talking to the players they don't lead with the news that they're playing in the Paradise Jam.

There you go, being a problem solver... Interesting solution, actually.

PMI
06-04-2013, 05:46 PM

Yea, I mean it's not a bad schedule by any means. Alabama and Tennessee should hopefully be pretty decent. We'll definitely be challenged prior to conference play. I'm just a little concerned about the lack of true road games before getting thrown into the fire of the new conference. We're going to have some tough road games in NBA arenas against some big time programs in the Big East. I wouldn't have minded having a late November or early December road game against a solid opponent before going to Alabama. But like I said, at least we're playing the role of the Big East program now.

xubrew
06-04-2013, 05:48 PM

This is within the rules, although I'd rather just see us count the Wake or Tennessee game as the fourth game, and add another team that's actually good to the schedule. FWIW, the Maui now does this.

1757Williams
06-04-2013, 05:52 PM
FWIW, the Tennessee game being moved to prime time means it will be opposite to ESPN's 24 hour prime games which are Michigan State-Kentucky and Duke-Kansas. Can't see the casual fan tuning in to X, where I imagine the win over Butler last year was great for exposure, as the highlights were shown in the later games, it was marketed better, etc.

xubrew
06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't think our schedule is fantastic, but I don't think it's terrible either.

We only had nine games to work with, and since Tennessee was a return game, and Wake, UC and Miami OH were fixture games, we only really had five. Now, we didn't exactly swing for the fences with the five we had. Evansville loses most of their best players from a mediocre team, Morehead and Bowling Green will be even worse, and although Gardner Webb is usually decent.....probably not this year. Our bad teams aren't even good by bad team standards.

I do think Alabama is a better series than Northwestern. So, we've got three games against decent/good teams in the Battle For Atlantis, Wake, UC, Tennessee and Alabama. Half our OOC games are decent. That's above average, I'd say. Maybe not what we've been used to in the past, but it still isn't awful.

Masterofreality
06-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Me too. I'm puzzled by that, because that was described to me as a game that was definitely on the schedule just a couple of months ago. That's why I'm speculating that Carmody's firing may have played a role.

Yep. I know for a fact that as of April 30 the Northwestern game was still on. They must have cut it after a schedule review. Alabama is a decent replacement.

Masterofreality
06-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Not this year. X will play in the LA market, maybe back in Anaheim or at USC at some point in Brandon's career. Maybe more than once.

Masterofreality
06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Isn't Tennessee a two year deal?

We played at Tennessee last year. This is the return game.

Masterofreality
06-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Uggghh... Now I will have to answer to my UC cousin about how we have a weak OOC because we moved to the Big East. I expected better.

No you don't. YTG will have a worse schedule.

REMEMBER THE BLUE HOSE!!!!!!

Masterofreality
06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
One last comment.

You have to remember that X is playing 18, not 16 conference games this year. Mario had to be smart about decisions in November and December.

Look at the whole schedule on balance. It's fine- especially with the Atlantis gauntlet thrown in.

MADXSTER
06-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Everyone also needs to remember that we will have a lot of new faces and a couple of guys who sat out last year. Probably the right type of schedule for this season.

Juice
06-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah, hopefully the home game for the Battle for Atlantis is a halfway decent team.

Xu Red Dogg
06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
MOR brings up a great point about 18 vs. 16 games.

Break 2 games off of the conference slate, say:
ROAD - Marquette
HOME - Saint John's
and think about them as a part of the non-conference schedule that was released today. My guess would be that you'd look at it and say...that's a pretty good schedule.

We are trading a little bit of non-conference strength for a TON of conference strength.

xubrew
06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Alabama on a Saturday in December after the students have gone home is not going to be the most hostile of environments. The conference road games are going to be a little rougher than what we're used to. Perhaps we should have scheduled at least one decent road game. But, it is what it is. It's not a terrible schedule.

LA Muskie
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Yep. I know for a fact that as of April 30 the Northwestern game was still on. They must have cut it after a schedule review. Alabama is a decent replacement.

The Northwestern situation is discussed on Scout for those who subscribe or would have any interest in that type of information.

LA Muskie
06-05-2013, 12:20 AM
The Northwestern situation is discussed on Scout for those who subscribe or would have any interest in that type of information.

Or you can read about it for free on Shannon Russell's blog...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Masterofreality
06-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Or you can read about it for free on Shannon Russell's blog...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For those on Twitter and who follow Rick, there is a 7 minute video between Rick and Brad Johansen discussing all of this.

Interesting that for all Big East teams home games, whether conference or non-conference, Fox Sports/Fox Sports 1 has the rights, or at least the right of first refusal. Don't expect to ever see any more XU home games on ESPN. The entire Big East is dead to them.

Expect to see a lot of gagging, as in AAAAAAAAAAAAAC, on the 4 letter network.

bleedXblue
06-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Non conference schedule for this is just fine. We have a young, inexperienced team and a tougher conference schedule. Im glad we only have one tough non conference game outside of Atlantis.

Hope we can get a better balance for next year.

blueblob06
06-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Non conference schedule for this is just fine. We have a young, inexperienced team and a tougher conference schedule. Im glad we only have one tough non conference game outside of Atlantis.

Hope we can get a better balance for next year.

I like our non-conf schedule, a new mix for a team for a new faces. Plus, as mentioned, we have an 18 game conf slate, instead of 16.
I don't know how you'd argue that we only have 1 tough game outside Atlantis. I don't think UC, Bama, or Tenn will be easy. And I have no idea how Wake will be this year but almost no students at the game and a quiet Cintas Center has been a recipe for disaster.

gladdenguy
06-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah, hopefully the home game for the Battle for Atlantis is a halfway decent team.

Don't expect much for that opponent.

gladdenguy
06-05-2013, 08:32 AM

How is this schedule weak?
Alabama and Tennessee are both top 25 caliber.
The Battle 4 Atlantis has some very good teams (Iowa (top 25), Kansas (top5 with Wiggins), Tennessee (top 25).
Wake and sUCks are okay.
This is a way better schedule than sUCks ever puts out.

casualfan
06-05-2013, 08:35 AM
FWIW, the Tennessee game being moved to prime time means it will be opposite to ESPN's 24 hour prime games which are Michigan State-Kentucky and Duke-Kansas. Can't see the casual fan tuning in to X, where I imagine the win over Butler last year was great for exposure, as the highlights were shown in the later games, it was marketed better, etc.

Personally I don't expect the casual fan to turn on Fox Sports 1 much if at all. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

xubrew
06-05-2013, 08:54 AM

For whatever reason, the Marathon games actually get good ratings. Even the ones that are on in the morning and afternoon. Not just internet ratings either. Actual ratings. I don't know why, but it does. I guess people that either work from home or don't have jobs are all tuning in. If you add the internet ratings to that, the games actually get quite a bit of eyeballs, even if it is 4pm, or 8am, or whatever.

DC Muskie
06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
We played at Tennessee last year. This is the return game.

Right meaning it's done after this year. I wouldn't expect us to schedule another series.

bleedXblue
06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I like our non-conf schedule, a new mix for a team for a new faces. Plus, as mentioned, we have an 18 game conf slate, instead of 16.
I don't know how you'd argue that we only have 1 tough game outside Atlantis. I don't think UC, Bama, or Tenn will be easy. And I have no idea how Wake will be this year but almost no students at the game and a quiet Cintas Center has been a recipe for disaster.

Sorry, I meant one away game....... I agree on bama, UC and tenn.

PM Thor
06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
When will the conference dates come out? I ask because as it stands now I only miss some marginal OOC home games and holding off buying my season tickets really drives me nuts not knowing the conference game dates...

paulxu
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Katz' take on our scheduling this year:

2. Xavier coach Chris Mack has never been afraid of playing anybody, anywhere and at any time during the season. But he said he essentially had to dial back with the high-major games for the upcoming season as the Musketeers move from the Atlantic 10 to the new Big East

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85258/3-point-shot-tourney-sites-for-american

He does note we will face Kansas in B4Atlantis. I wonder if that's set somehow.

Masterofreality
06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Katz' take on our scheduling this year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85258/3-point-shot-tourney-sites-for-american

He does note we will face Kansas in B4Atlantis. I wonder if that's set somehow.

I don't think the bracket is set yet. Last year the final bracket was not revealed until early August.

PMI
06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
I think he just assumes that it goes without saying that both Xavier and Kansas will be playing in the finals. Andrew Wiggins is going to wish he never had to cross paths with Semaj.

Masterofreality
06-06-2013, 10:20 AM
I think he just assumes that it goes without saying that both Xavier and Kansas will be playing in the finals. Andrew Wiggins is going to wish he never had to cross paths with Semaj.

I'd take that.

JTG
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
I imagine FOX will advertise the hell out of FS1 during all their Sunday NFL games all during the Fall. That should be enough to get the casual fan to turn in. FOX is going to war with ESPN, and they will have to advertise heavily on network FOX to get FS1 some exposure.
I'm not Don Draper, but I do frequently stay at Holiday Inn Express.