PDA

View Full Version : Coach Jim Brockhoff

pimpinthebox
05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
The Xavier family lost a great man today. Longtime and legendary tennis coach Jim Brockhoff passed away after battling cancer. His contributions to Xavier University are immeasurable and are difficult to put into words. I'll borrow from his bio listed on the Xavier website to help...

"Xavier Hall of Fame member and Xavier institution Jim Brockhoff will continue as the Director of Tennis Development for the 2011-12 season. Coach Brockhoff retired as Xavier's head coach after the 2007 season after 45 years of service to the men's program and 34 years as the head coach of the women's program. His coaching career was capped off on March 30, 2007 when Brockhoff became just the second Division I head coach to win 1,000 matches, both men's and women's combined, when the women's team defeated George Washington, 4-3.

As the Director of Tennis Development, Brockhoff's duties include serving as the chairperson for the annual Total Asset Planning/Xavier University Pro-Am Tournament, which has raised over $420,000 in 15 years to benefit the men's and women's tennis programs over the last 14 years. Brockhoff will also continue to secure funding for the Jim and Mary Brockhoff Scholarship Fund, established in 2004.”

He will be missed dearly by those who played for him as well as those who were lucky enough to know him. Say a prayer for Coach Brockhoff and his family.

Titanxman04
05-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Damn. Sorry to hear such sad news. Prayers for his family, friends, and those who loved and knew him.

Kahns Krazy
05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Sad news. I have known the Brockhoff family since I was a little kid.

DC Muskie
05-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Prayers. Sorry to hear and thanks for posting this.

Lamont Sanford
05-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers to Mary and the rest of the Brockhoff family. Coach was a great man, mentor, coach, father-figure and Muskie! He loved Xavier through and through and will be greatly missed on Victory Parkway. Coach knew everyone and everyone knew (and loved) Coach. He was an absolute legend in the Cincinnati tennis community.

R.I.P. Coach!

pimpinthebox
05-30-2013, 02:07 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130530/SPT0102/305300145/Xavier-HOF-coach-Jim-Brockoff-dies

ballyhoohoo
05-30-2013, 06:12 PM
I've known one of the sons for five years, great guy. If he was an indication of his father the world lost a great man. Prayers to the Brokhoffs.

xudash
05-30-2013, 07:04 PM
This is really sad news. I had the pleasure of knowing Coach while I was at Xavier. He actually gave me an opportunity to play on the team. I wasn't good enough and too far behind his recruits to play any singles matches, but he did allow me to play in doubles matches. The point in me sharing this is this: I ran into him at the basketball reception in Gainesville, when Xavier came down here to play the University of Florida. I was rather stunned when he recognized me, remembering stories from that time.

He absolutely loved Xavier through and through. He will be missed, but he absolutely will be well remembered.

wkrq59
05-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Jim was a mere two years older than I am and he is one of the Xavier men I will always remember and love. Jim was unabashed in his love and loyalty for Xavier, even when things were going sour owl in the early 70s. I dealt with Jim as a student back when Xavier had football. I remember watching him play at Purcell and was amazed at his ability to hide the ball until the lone Cavalier receiver came open way down the field and then, bang, TD. Thing was, Purcell's running game was so doggone good, he seldom had to throw and when he did cut loose, it seemed like it always produced a TD.
In all the years I dealt with Jim Brockhoff later in life when I was at the Post, he never demanded anything, even though he had a lot to offer. I never knew him to drop an F-bomb or express displeasure at the sparse coverage he got from first all three papers, then the two and finally the one. I also never heard any one outside of Xavier who dealt with Jim Brockhoff ever have anything bad to say about him. He was an outstanding Catholic man, husband, father and grandfather. Xavier has suffererd a genuine loss. There will be other tennis coaches, other men who love Xavier and all it stands for, but none greater than Jim Brockhoff. RIP.
:ohno::sadwave: