PDA

View Full Version : Hinkle Fieldhouse Renovations (34 Mil)

Muskie
05-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Link (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/21/renovations-to-hinkle-fieldhouse-to-cost-34-million-dollars/)

Beginning in the 2014-15 season, the fieldhouse will have wider concourses, 5,000 chairbacks, more handicapped seating, handrails and new bathrooms. Capacity will be about 9,100, less than the current 10,000 but more than previous estimates.
Work has begun on the $23-million first phase, which focuses on the 17,700-square-foot, three-story space on the site of Hinkle’s former natatorium, which hasn’t been used for several years. The basement will feature a weightroom and the main floor an academic center. The top level will include coaches’ and administrators’ offices.

nuts4xu
05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I have been in most every area of Hinkle Fieldhouse, and still think it is a dump. It is an extremely old place, and I would think $34 million would be a good start to financing a brand new arena. When we built Cintas I thought we did it for roughly $40 million.

$34 million will buy a lot of lipstick to put on that pig. But even after all that work, the place will still be a pig.

Olsingledigit
05-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Regardless of the impressions from out of towners, Hinkle is revered in Indy (I am an Indy X Grad). It is also on the National Historic Registry which I mean believes that they cannot tear it down and would have to maintain it whether it is used or not. So building a new arena would simply create a museum out of Hinkle. I have been in plenty of buildings hundreds of years old in Europe that are still being used today as originally intended. Yes they are old but they are treasures. I know a lot of you disagree but Hinkle truly is a national treasure and fixing it up is a good idea. Believe it or not I believe Butler would draw fewer people in a new building.

xudash
05-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Regardless of the impressions from out of towners, Hinkle is revered in Indy (I am an Indy X Grad). It is also on the National Historic Registry which I mean believes that they cannot tear it down and would have to maintain it whether it is used or not. So building a new arena would simply create a museum out of Hinkle. I have been in plenty of buildings hundreds of years old in Europe that are still being used today as originally intended. Yes they are old but they are treasures. I know a lot of you disagree but Hinkle truly is a national treasure and fixing it up is a good idea. Believe it or not I believe Butler would draw fewer people in a new building.

I respect your opinion and understand it, especially because you are an Indy native and you grew up with it.

All I can say is that I'm happy that they're doing something about the place, because it is a dump.

I'm just happy that I am a Xavier fan that is tied to the Cintas Center. 'New' always isn't better than 'old' but it is in this case, and for two key reasons:

1. The Cintas Center shows better on television; in fact, Hinkle looks cheesy on TV with all those billboards around the court.
2. The Cintas Center is configured to make the University a lot of money, during basketball games as well as during other events; that NHL designation for Hinkle means no private suites, etc.

Otherwise, I like that Xavier has a 10k+ facility. I just like being over 10k in capacity.

nuts4xu
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
If they can't tear it down, then I understand the efforts to renovate. Hopefully the cash will conform that dump into a more serviceable arena.

Masterofreality
05-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Hell, just install a clock, horn and water fountains that work.