PDA

View Full Version : Cronin's Big East Comments

pimpinthebox
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
As if I didn't hate the guy enough already...

“Our conference is still going to be major,” Cronin said. “The thing about being in a league with football, your brand is on ESPN in August. That allows you to start promoting your basketball brand. I think that was probably a problem for the Atlantic 10, and now could be for the Big East. There’s definite positives to the football factor.”

xudash
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM

“Our conference is still going to be major,” Cronin said. “The thing about being in a league with football, your brand is on ESPN in August. That allows you to start promoting your basketball brand. I think that was probably a problem for the Atlantic 10, and now could be for the Big East. There’s definite positives to the football factor.”

His "brand" will be lucky to make the Tuesday night ESPN game on ESPN7.

GIMMFD
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Jealousy is an ugly color. Must be upsetting that UC is practically in Conference USA V2

muskiefan82
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
OR, your football brand, because the football will NOT be good, will be on ESPN in August and everyone will see how awful the football in the AAC! is and expect the same level of crap in basketball.

Two-edged sword, YTG.

bobbiemcgee
05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah, high major BB recruits will be huddling around their TV's to see how UC is doing in FB. What an fing idiot.

Smails
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Keep saying it Mick...over and over again and maybe it will be true someday. Kind of like when you look in the mirror every morning and tell yourself how good you look.

Mick provides great quotes...

bleedXblue
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Im not sure what the midgets thinking. He simply cant keep his mouth shut. Didnt the "old" Big East do just fine having several premier schools in the conference as non football playing members? Does he not get it that UC and AAC is a pimple on the bears ass of college football ? Why did UC get left behind ? Because they have nothing to offer.....dumb shit.

blobfan
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
A sure mark that you lack confidence in your brand is to constantly compare it to someone else's. If your brand is good, more often than not it can stand alone. And the reference specifically to the A10 is telling. He just can't stop looking at his cross-town rival.

blueblob06
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
One of the Cincinnati Enquirer's articles about UC's conference woes last week said that of ALL BCS schools (I want to say there were 58 or 68 schools), UC was LAST in total spending on their athletic programs in 2011. That pretty much sums up why they are in the AAAAAAC and why they should be there and nowhere better.

El Shaqtus
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
A sure mark that you lack confidence in your brand is to constantly compare it to someone else's. If your brand is good, more often than not it can stand alone. And the reference specifically to the A10 is telling. He just can't stop looking at his cross-town rival.

Even better, the conference his cross-town rival left. I don't follow Cincy, but my god that's juvenile. Why on earth would he mention the Atlantic 10? Not defending the A-10 (because I want the first bus out of it), but come on midget man.

Masterofreality
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Yeah, the AAAAAAAAC is so major, Santa and his elves were sending out payola to try to get the ACC to take them.

They would leave in a NY minute if invited elsewhere.

Those are facts that the Jaundiced Leprechaun cannot ever run from.

By the way, those comments were in an article by Cronin slobberer Mike DeCoursey. Still can't figure out that guy's love for YTG and SucKS.

DC Muskie
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Wait I remember Billy Donovan saying the same thing a few years ago. It certainly helps Florida basketball when the SEC is playing in football in August. It's hard to argue against that logic.

xubrew
05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
My God, that guy needs a publicist. He's too dumb to speak for himself. Someone else must do it for him.

He once said that Cincinnati would have no trouble winning the Atlantic Ten or any other non major conference. This was after the team had been pasted by Memphis, Xavier, and a few other non-major teams.

He once tried to claim that his sub 250 ranked OOC schedule was a tough schedule. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was laughable. It was something along the lines of "Just because it's ranked 250th doesn't mean it's not as good as the other teams on the bubble." I mean, wow.

Now he's talking about the New Big East. I can't help but think he was baited into that quote by a reporter who was fishing.

"What advantages do you have that the new Big East doesn't have??" Or something like that.

The thing is, he's not smart enough to sidestep the question.

I actually like Mick Cronin. He's entertaining.

Xaveriana
05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
This is getting old, but is somewhat entertaining. Why does UC believe they are somehow privileged basketball-wise? Look back at the conferences and coaches over the last 30 years. Am I missing something? Other than their run to the Final Four under Huggins and their brief stint in the Big East, I'm not sure where the entitlement is coming from.

Tony Yates: Nice guy, but a loser (70-100 or .412 winning %)
- Metro Conference (1983–1989)

Bob Huggins: Drunk a-hole, but a winner (398–128 or .757 winning %)
- Metro Conference (1989–1991)
- Great Midwest Conference (1991–1995)
- Conference USA (1995–2005)

Andy Kennedy: Drunk nice guy, but a winner (21-13 or .618 winning %)
- Big East Conference (2005–2006)

Mick Cronin: Dumb a-hole (125–87 or .590 winning %)
- Big East Conference (2006–2013)
- American Athletic Conference (2013-?)

That makes me mad…

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/4255064211_18bbb5c5a7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TmTOzWM.png
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/afteraction/files/2013/04/MediaHandler-300x168.jpg

Xpectations
05-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Are you telling me that Central Florida wouldn't win the Big East?

Muskie
05-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Are you telling me that Central Florida wouldn't win the Big East?

My money is on USF.... no wait Tulsa.... how bout the Mid-Shipmen?

Xpectations
05-23-2013, 03:39 PM
My God, that guy needs a publicist. He's too dumb to speak for himself. Someone else must do it for him.

He once said that Cincinnati would have no trouble winning the Atlantic Ten or any other non major conference. This was after the team had been pasted by Memphis, Xavier, and a few other non-major teams.

He once tried to claim that his sub 250 ranked OOC schedule was a tough schedule. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was laughable. It was something along the lines of "Just because it's ranked 250th doesn't mean it's not as good as the other teams on the bubble." I mean, wow.

Now he's talking about the New Big East. I can't help but think he was baited into that quote by a reporter who was fishing.

"What advantages do you have that the new Big East doesn't have??" Or something like that.

The thing is, he's not smart enough to sidestep the question.

I actually like Mick Cronin. He's entertaining.

He also once said that UC could have landed Tu Holloway but he didn't think it was fair for Tu to ride the bench behind Cashmere Wright for 4 years.

Of course, that was just right around the time Tu lit up the Bearcats for 26 points as a sophomore in XU's double-OT win, making it all the more entertaining.

XUOHTX
05-23-2013, 04:32 PM

What problem is he referring to? What his point? Just as a point of reference, UC has no football games on ESPN in August. They do have 3 games on ESPN (one of which is against Louisville who is leaving the AAC) all of which are in October or later (Basketball time)....Just sayin.

After further review. No AAC teams have games on ESPN in August. Louisville has a game on Sept 1 but, like I said, they are only there temporarily.

xubrew
05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
He also once said that UC could have landed Tu Holloway but he didn't think it was fair for Tu to ride the bench behind Cashmere Wright for 4 years.

Of course, that was just right around the time Tu lit up the Bearcats for 26 points as a sophomore in XU's double-OT win, making it all the more entertaining.

I forgot about that one. Another classic.

I'm a pseudo Murray State fan, and I liked him when he was at Murray. I remember being disappointed when he left to take the UC job. Boy, has my attitude changed. The guy is a walking sound byte. He walks right into every trap that is set for him.

GoMuskies
05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
I hate him mostly because of Murray State to tell you the truth. He did an awful job there. The two years after he left were the worst teams they've had in years. By the way, Steve Prohm probably should have gotten out while the getting was good.

Muskie
05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Don't forget how he pulled the jerseys of his players off after the brawl and how they were going to have to earn the right to put them back on...

paulxu
05-24-2013, 09:20 AM
He's definitely making a strong play to get in front of Bilas in the line.

xubrew
05-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I hate him mostly because of Murray State to tell you the truth. He did an awful job there. The two years after he left were the worst teams they've had in years. By the way, Steve Prohm probably should have gotten out while the getting was good.

Every team and fanbase has near miss moments that stick with them, and Murray is no exception. Two of those occurred under Cronin.

It's 2004 when Murray pisses away two games against Austin Peay, but still gets into the NCAAs as a #12 seed and looks like they can pull an upset. Then, two starters get caught by hotel security smoking weed in their room the night before the Illinois game. Game over.

It's 2006 when, again, they piss away several games during the season, but still make the NCAAs as a #14 seed. They led North Carolina at the half. Witherspoon breaks his leg, and Murray just ran out of gas in the second half. They still almost won.

The other game is the loss to Butler the year Butler ran to the final. I still think Murray should have won that one.

I thought Cronin did alright. They would typically get a lead, then nearly blow it, but somehow hold on. There were also games where they just didn't show up, which cost them chances at getting an at-large bid, but he did have a couple teams that were good when they played up to their potential. It's just one lost two key players due to being potheads, and the other lost a key player due to bad luck in a really big game. He could have been better.

Another Murray State staple seems to be the more starters they have coming back, the worse they are. The year after Butler beat them in the round of 32, they returned their entire roster....and were awful. This past year, they returned most of their starters after being in the top 25, and fell way short again.

casualfan
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Why do you say that? I'm a bit of a Murray State fan myself and i thought he took them to the tournament a couple times during his tenure.

nuts4xu
05-24-2013, 10:11 AM
I think that was probably a problem for the Atlantic 10, and now could be for the Big East. There’s definite positives to the football factor.”

Yes, yes little man. Because the Atlantic 10 had such a tough time getting teams into the NCAA tournament last year. They only had 5 teams in the NCAA tourney, which was MORE than the ACC and SEC, and only the Big East and Big Ten had more teams than the Atlantic 10. All this without a shitty brand of football to promote the basketball programs.

How in the world did these schools do it?

nuts4xu
05-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Don't forget how he pulled the jerseys of his players off after the brawl and how they were going to have to earn the right to put them back on...

...and it only took 2-3 days before this honor was restored. Way to stick it to em Coach!

DC Muskie
05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Yes, yes little man. Because the Atlantic 10 had such a tough time getting teams into the NCAA tournament last year. They only had 5 teams in the NCAA tourney, which was MORE than the ACC and SEC, and only the Big East and Big Ten had more teams than the Atlantic 10. All this without a shitty brand of football to promote the basketball programs.

How in the world did these schools do it?

What audience do you think Mick is trying to reach? What people are sitting around and thinking, "You know it really helps our basketball program knowing that we play Tulane in football this September."

nuts4xu
05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
What audience do you think Mick is trying to reach? What people are sitting around and thinking, "You know it really helps our basketball program knowing that we play Tulane in football this September."

He is trying to reach the imaginary audience that gives a rats ass about AAC football in August.

The man is clearly grasping at straws to find any reason to be optimistic about this new lousy conference his program has found.

GoMuskies
05-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Why do you say that? I'm a bit of a Murray State fan myself and i thought he took them to the tournament a couple times during his tenure.

Look at the teams the two years after he left. There was no talent. He brought in a bunch of JuCos for two years, won some (though not any more than just about everyone else who coaches at Murray does) and left the place barren for the next guy. Those were the worst teams they've had in probably thirty years. And it wasn't like the guy who replaced him couldn't coach. After he finally restocked the program, he took the Texas A&M job.

muskiefan82
05-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Look, you would feel the need to constantly talk about how great your conference is and how good your team is when you have spent every day of your life worrying about all of the people who were always after your lucky charms. It can make you crazy.

XURunner85
05-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Didn't I see recently that uc next football season will have like the 3rd worst strength of schedule in all of Div 1 football??? that helps basketball......

DC Muskie
05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Didn't I see recently that uc next football season will have like the 3rd worst strength of schedule in all of Div 1 football??? that helps basketball......

In Mick's view I would guess it's a good thing because people will be talking about how crappy their football schedule is.

I wonder how Mick feels about the attention the baseball team is getting regarding their post game shows? I bet that helps with the basketball program.

bjf123
05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
I wonder how Mick feels about the attention the baseball team is getting regarding their post game shows? I bet that helps with the basketball program.
Got to admit, those are pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk