PDA

View Full Version : Blog Post on Edmond Sumner

XUFan09
05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Here (http://fromstaaktomack.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/edmond-sumner-as-a-musketeer/) ya go.

gladdenguy
05-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Good read as always.

XUFan09
05-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Good read as always.

Thanks!

DC Muskie
05-15-2013, 11:19 AM
What do you think the mentality of a coaching staff to go after players like Sumner so early? I guess it's better to be in early rather than late, but whats the difference between us coming in early and say Michigan State coming in late?

Say like Gary Harris. We are in early, only to lose out to MSU. I guess it just depends on the kid, or is there a little bit of science to this process? Like knowing that Semaj will blow up and it actually happening.

Random thoughts I know, but recruiting is such a fascinating process.

PMI
05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I think the staff just trusts its own evaluations and instincts on a player. We got in with Semaj before most knew about him, and it's clear that if he were available now, with coaches knowing what they know about him, he could go pretty much anywhere. I love the early Sumner commitment. I think he's going to be yet another Xavier commit who ends up looking like a steal, at least in the sense that we were the only major program who offered him. Just get that ink on the dotted line this fall from him and Swift, and that's one hell of a start to the 2014 class.

XUFan09
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Basically, what PMI said. I think Gary Harris might be a bad example though. We didn't stop recruiting him after DSR committed, but he did fall to a lower priority. Those two months really hurt us, and who knows how it would have played out otherwise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MHettel
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
What do you think the mentality of a coaching staff to go after players like Sumner so early? I guess it's better to be in early rather than late, but whats the difference between us coming in early and say Michigan State coming in late?

Say like Gary Harris. We are in early, only to lose out to MSU. I guess it just depends on the kid, or is there a little bit of science to this process? Like knowing that Semaj will blow up and it actually happening.

Random thoughts I know, but recruiting is such a fascinating process.

We got in early on Jordan Crawford and Jeff Teague...but lost both of them to Indiana and Wake. The goal of getting in early is to lock a kid in before he explodes. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.

Remeber Darryl Garrett? (I think thats the name). We got a verbal about 7-8 years ago from him as a soph. He was a kid with potential that we got involved with early. He never developed into what we envisioned, and I think he had some other issues emerge later, including his schoolwork. In teh end he never came to XU, and the cost of getting a verbal from him early was nearly zero.

I'm 100% good with finding talent that is not yet fully blossomed and "going long" by getting a verbal. We're not yet at the stage where we can go up against the Dukes, UNCs, Kansas, Kentucky's of the world for the best talent once everyone knows how good they are. We have to take some more risks that these underdeveloped guys turn the corner. There is always the chance they back out of teh verbal, and there is always the ability for us to back away as well.

i also REALLY like the idea that other recruits can see the type of talent we're getting, which can sway a recruit.

kyxu
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
We got in early on Jordan Crawford and Jeff Teague...but lost both of them to Indiana and Wake. The goal of getting in early is to lock a kid in before he explodes. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.

Remeber Darryl Garrett? (I think thats the name). We got a verbal about 7-8 years ago from him as a soph. He was a kid with potential that we got involved with early. He never developed into what we envisioned, and I think he had some other issues emerge later, including his schoolwork. In teh end he never came to XU, and the cost of getting a verbal from him early was nearly zero.

I'm 100% good with finding talent that is not yet fully blossomed and "going long" by getting a verbal. We're not yet at the stage where we can go up against the Dukes, UNCs, Kansas, Kentucky's of the world for the best talent once everyone knows how good they are. We have to take some more risks that these underdeveloped guys turn the corner. There is always the chance they back out of teh verbal, and there is always the ability for us to back away as well.

i also REALLY like the idea that other recruits can see the type of talent we're getting, which can sway a recruit.

Remember the blue chip kid Nate Miles who committed to Xavier? Man, that was someone we got in on early who turned out to be a disaster.

drudy23
05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Remember the blue chip kid Nate Miles who committed to Xavier? Man, that was someone we got in on early who turned out to be a disaster.

ala Churchill Odia?

ammtd34
05-15-2013, 03:48 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02uconn.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

MHettel
05-15-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02uconn.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Perfect example. didnt hurt us a bit.