PDA

View Full Version : Crosstown Shootout: Dec 14

BMoreX
05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
@Eiser_XU_Sports: 2013 Skyline Chili Crosstown Classic benefiting the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center is set for Sat., Dec. 14 at U.S. Bank Arena

FWIW, the last day of finals for students is Dec. 19.

xubrew
05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
The Saturday before finals. Nice.

It's the weekend after the major conference football championship games, so it's kind of the first weekend college hoops has the spotlight to itself. Also, because it is right before finals, many teams are hesitant to schedule a heavyweight.

Hopefully we get a brighter national spotlight than what we're used to.

blueblob06
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Back to a Saturday. That's a good start. Hopefully it's at night.

At least the students are still on campus for this one, hopefully XU buses the students down there.

SM#24
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
It's the weekend after the major conference football championship games, so it's kind of the first weekend college hoops has the spotlight to itself...Hopefully we get a brighter national spotlight than what we're used to.
Great, let's make it a noon game and let the fight begin

blueblob06
05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
As mentioned in another thread, if you go on GoXavier.com to renew your season tickets, it allows you to purchase Shootout tickets at the same time.

According to this, the Shootout will be at 7:00 PM on Dec 14th. Also, the price breakdown (at least for getting them from XU when renewing season tix) is:
Floor Seats - $125
Lower Level near midcourt - $75
Lower Level corner/end or Upper Lever near midcourt - $50
Upper Level side/corner/end - $35

coasterville95
05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Same prices as last year - same game time too, despite them saying the game time and TV is yet to be decided. I wouoldn;t put too much stock ina 7pm start, aren't Saturday games on the even hours?

Is it assigning you seats for Crosstown as you buy, or is it like last year - "tell us the highest seating level you will accept" and we'll assign seats at a later date.

blueblob06
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Same prices as last year - same game time too, despite them saying the game time and TV is yet to be decided. I wouoldn;t put too much stock ina 7pm start, aren't Saturday games on the even hours?

Is it assigning you seats for Crosstown as you buy, or is it like last year - "tell us the highest seating level you will accept" and we'll assign seats at a later date.
The setup appears to be like last year because I acted like I was gonna buy them and then on the next page it asked if you are willing to sit somewhere else if the level you chose is filled. Can't say for sure though because I didn't complete the order.

PMI
05-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Of course it's right before finals. We wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to limit the amount of crazy Xavier kids getting too rowdy and starting brawls. This rivalry has become a joke.

BMoreX
05-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Of course it's right before finals. We wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to limit the amount of crazy Xavier kids getting too rowdy and starting brawls. This rivalry has become a joke.

As a Xavier student from Maryland, I am much happier with this date than last year. I think the same would go for many out of town students.

PMI
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM
As a Xavier student from Maryland, I am much happier with this date than last year. I think the same would go for many out of town students.

Don't get me wrong, I would be too. I was just taking a shot at the whole thing. I just can't stop shaking my head at what this game has become due to the biggest overreaction in the history of college sports.

sgarcia
05-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Let me know when this game starts being played on each other's home court and I'll start watching it again.

xubrew
05-08-2013, 02:02 PM

I think TV has a lot to do with when it's being played. There was no conscious decision to time it with finals.

I actually really like the date. The second Saturday in December is a typically a good day for college basketball. Other than the exempt tournaments, you typically see more good games on that day than you do on any other normal Saturday prior to conference play starting. It's the first full Saturday of basketball after the college football conference championship games, and it looks as though the Shootout is going to be one of the showcase games. This is better than playing it during the middle of the week on ESPNU.

casualfan
05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Let me know when this game starts being played on each other's home court and I'll start watching it again.

The series will end before that happens and unfortunately the more I hear the more I think that's where we're headed.

subflea
05-08-2013, 03:31 PM
This rivalry has become a joke.

Don't think you will have to worry about that past this year.

JTG
05-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I wish it would go the way of the UD game...we don't need 'em, so FU UC

GoMuskies
05-08-2013, 08:21 PM
How exactly will finals have any affect? What undergrad is studying for finals on a Saturday night?!?

Titanxman04
05-08-2013, 08:30 PM
How exactly will finals have any affect? What undergrad is studying for finals on a Saturday night?!?

The ones that don't go to games anyways.

BMoreX
05-08-2013, 09:09 PM
The ones that don't go to games anyways.

Yup.

Section 200
05-08-2013, 10:52 PM
The series will end before that happens and unfortunately the more I hear the more I think that's where we're headed.

Xavier will never cancel the series and UC must play the game to get national attention in the new league. I'm sure Cronin wants to end the series but Huggins wanted to end the series and it is still going. Very few games in the country have a sponsor like Skyline making ending the series even less likely.

bjf123
05-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Xavier will never cancel the series and UC must play the game to get national attention in the new league. I'm sure Cronin wants to end the series but Huggins wanted to end the series and it is still going. Very few games in the country have a sponsor like Skyline making ending the series even less likely.

Which means the game will continue to be at US Bank Arena. UC is not coming back to Cintas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XURunner85
05-09-2013, 09:40 PM
If it doesn't go back to the campuses then I see it ending for a few years before it comes back to the campus..

LA Muskie
05-09-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't see us dropping the Dayton, Miami, and UC local rivalry games all in the span of a few years. Nor do I think we should. Obviously it's a better series on campus but it's still better at US Bank than not at all.

PMI
05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
The Crosstown Shootout was one of my favorite rivalries in sports, but I still maintain that they should cancel it for now rather than water it down to what it's become. It would suck, but I truly believe that after a couple years, both sides would remember what they were missing, pull their heads out of their asses, and realize how silly an overreaction they all had. Then they could all act like grownups and resume the rivalry at the home courts like they should. I'd certainly take that over the current format.

GoMuskies
05-10-2013, 10:30 AM
The Crosstown Shootout was one of my favorite rivalries in sports, but I still maintain that they should cancel it for now rather than water it down to what it's become. It would suck, but I truly believe that after a couple years, both sides would remember what they were missing, pull their heads out of their asses, and realize how silly an overreaction they all had. Then they could all act like grownups and resume the rivalry at the home courts like they should. I'd certainly take that over the current format.

+1. The current format is worse than not playing at all. It may be worse than those lame, sparsely attended K-State games downtown.

xubrew
05-10-2013, 11:26 AM
I know two people that went to the game last year, which I realize is a pretty shitty sample size, but they both said they thought it was a cool set up.

With that in mind, did anyone reading this actually go, and if you did what did you think of it??

On TV, it looked like a watered down version of the Illinois vs Mizzou game, or the old IU vs Kentucky series. The students behind each basket seemed like a pretty cool touch. Then again, it was my last day of work before the holidays, so I was pretty drunk by the time the game started, and am perhaps not the best person to reference for it.

Having said all that, both schools plan on continuing the series, and continuing it at campus sites.....at least that's what I heard. I actually heard that from someone on the UC side of things, so take that for what it's worth.

XURunner85
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I went to the game last year. It was okay because normally that game would have been at uc and I wouldn't have gone. But this year it should be at Cintas but instead it is downtown again...now I don't like...when I was at X, 3 of the 4 games were downtown and I didn't mind it, but now I want it on the campuses.

Milhouse
05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I went. It was pretty meh. Fun to go to the Banks before the game. There was not enough Xavier fans and the place was far from capacity.

PMI
05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I went. It was pretty meh. Fun to go to the Banks before the game. There was not enough Xavier fans and the place was far from capacity.

That is precisely what UC wants. And we're being dumb by catering to them. We do not need this rivalry like we once did. I think we all want it to be like it was, but I say if it's going to be at the expense of having this setup, it's just not worth it. And I really believe that if we had the balls to tell them it's home and home or nothing, that the series, while canceled initially, would eventually resume the way it should. There has not been one single decent... nay... halfway respectable decision that has been made regarding this rivalry since the brawl, by either side. I think everyone needs to step back and look at this thing rationally instead of emotionally, and some time off might allow just that. It's a fucking basketball game. Stop treating it like a ticking time bomb and putting everyone involved in the figurative corner because of an unfortunate incident that is far behind us. It has absolutely no chance of returning to one of the top rivalries in the country in this format. None. This awful experiment didn't work, as expected. Move on.

coasterville95
05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Particularly given the outcome - I have to agree the pre/post gaming at the Banks may have been the best part.

Had to chuckle when the guy at Toby Keith's said about an hour after the game "Xavier may have lost the basketball game, but they are winning the post game drinking"

Friend of mine got me into the deal in the VIP room at Toby Keith's before the game. Anyway, as has been stated we also lost the attendance battle at the arena, badly. The $20 to park under the Banks still smarts as well.

Milhouse
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Your problem right there would be parking at the banks. There is plenty of event parking for 5-10 bucks or less downtown if you know where to look and don't mind walking a few blocks.

xubrew
05-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Okay, sounds like it's time to move this back to campus sites. I didn't realize the building wasn't capacity, much less not even close to capacity.

I think it will resume at campus sites after this year....unless they think of some way to make more money by keeping it downtown.

muskies111
05-11-2013, 11:47 AM
The reason it wasn't close to capacity was because we didn't sell our tickets. The UC side was near capacity. I think downtown could be an good site for the game if both sides sell their tickets and the place is rocking. That, plus the downtown scene made the game enjoyable last year. Not saying the series shouldn't go back to campuses, but the game definitely wasn't so "water downed" as some are claiming. I'd much rather see it stay downtown than to see it get completely canceled.

coasterville95
05-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I thought they sold somewhere in the 14,000 range - isn't the arena seating cap for hoops 16,000

So yeah, not sold out buy not the empty hall we crammed 4,500 into to watch the second K-State game, on New Year's Eve night, without Huggins (and let's face it UC fans buying up tickets), and not in the season ticket plan.