PDA

View Full Version : Otto Porter, Vander Blue to NBA

BMoreX
04-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Porter (Georgetown) announced yesterday, Goodman had the scoop on Blue (Marquette) this morning.

I still expect Gtown/Marq to finish 1-2 in the league, but it does open the possibility that Xavier could fight for the Big East title.

Still waiting on what Doug McDermott wants to do.

Masterofreality
04-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Blue leaving is an absolute body low to Marquette. Porter also does no help GTown.

It sure as hell helps XU though.

smileyy
04-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Otto Porter is a top 5 pick. That's no surprise. Will Vander Blue get drafted?

ArizonaXUGrad
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Did Vander Blue hire an agent?

Some of these declarations are just mind numbing...see Phil Pressey. It's like he wants to play for Tulsa of the D-League as quick as he can.

Muskie
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Draft Express has Vander listed at #23 in the 2014 draft...one spot above Hardaway.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

DoubleD86
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
One thing to remember with some of these "questionable" declarations is that next year's draft will be much weaker than 2014. In that case, if you are a borderline 1st rounder or borderline draftee guy, it makes more sense to be in this year's draft where you are likely to go higher than wait a year and be pushed down in next year's draft. A guy like Pressey isn't going to raise his stock. His biggest knock is his size and that isn't changing next year. Therefore, he is more likely to be drafted higher in 2013 than in 2014.

smileyy
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Did Vander Blue hire an agent?

Some of these declarations are just mind numbing...see Phil Pressey. It's like he wants to play for Tulsa of the D-League as quick as he can.

I can understand a guy saying "I'm done playing for free; its time for me to get paid." I mean, if you have the talent and work ethic to play in the NBA, you're going to play in the NBA no matter when you leave school.

smileyy
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Draft Express has Vander listed at #23 in the 2014 draft...one spot above Hardaway.

And NBA Draft.net has him mid-2nd round to undrafted this year. Go figure:

http://nbadraft.net/2013-early-entry-list

PMI
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Great news for us. I expect us to be as much a threat for a Big East title as anyone next year, although I still think both those teams will be able to say the same.

Milhouse
04-17-2013, 07:28 AM

So with that Logic Semaj should've gone this year.

Glad he's smarter than that at least...

xavierj
04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
One thing to remember with some of these "questionable" declarations is that next year's draft will be much weaker than 2014. In that case, if you are a borderline 1st rounder or borderline draftee guy, it makes more sense to be in this year's draft where you are likely to go higher than wait a year and be pushed down in next year's draft. A guy like Pressey isn't going to raise his stock. His biggest knock is his size and that isn't changing next year. Therefore, he is more likely to be drafted higher in 2013 than in 2014.

I think I have heard the this years draft is much weaker argument for like the last ten years straight.

rove02
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
I think I have heard the this years draft is much weaker argument for like the last ten years straight.

That and the bubble being really weak

Cheesehead
04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I watched about 5-6 Marquette games this season and Vander Blue is a strange player to evaluate. He was a big time recruit who spurned his hometown Wisconsin Badgers for Marquette. He showed glimpes of being dominant in a few games but also had some quiet games. His career avg is less than 10 points per game. Not sure he is a good enough shooter for two guard and don't see him playing the point. He does have an NBA name though. Vander Blue just rools off the toungue. I hope it works out for him.

DoubleD86
04-17-2013, 12:12 PM

That may be true, but there is almost no doubt that the 2014 draft >>> 2013 draft. I know little about the international prospects, but from the US side many believe it is not even close. Draft Express has 1-4 in 2014 as Wiggins, Randle, Gordon, Harrison. Obviously, none of them have played a game of college and it may change, but I have ready some who believe that only Noel would have a chance from the 2013 class to be in that group if all entered today. That means that, to most evaluators, a 2013-2014 draft would have 4 2014 prospects in the top 5. Not that these guys knew at the time, but Marcus Smart returning means even more congestion at the top of 2014.

PMI
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Mock drafts for next year have 7 current high school seniors and 3 current college freshmen making up the top 10. And that's not even accounting for the fact that Semaj Christon is about to become national POY and spring to the top 5. There should be a big influx of talent in college basketball next year.

DoubleD86
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Mock drafts for next year have 7 current high school seniors and 3 current college freshmen making up the top 10. And that's not even accounting for the fact that Semaj Christon is about to become national POY and spring to the top 5. There should be a big influx of talent in college basketball next year.

Heck, on DraftExpress for 2014, the first round only consists of 6 HS seniors and 4 International players. That is 1/3 of the first round being guys who aren't eligible this year. That's not to even discuss those who have said they are coming back this year and are predicted to be 1st rounders. The mock has 3 current sophmores and 3 current juniors in the first round. If you are someone looking to go this year or next, this year is clearly the weaker team with a lot of older, more "finished" products where your "potential" could bump you up spots.

drudy23
04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
That and the bubble being really weak

And there is more parity this year.