PDA

View Full Version : Tarik Black to Transfer-Eligible NOW

Masterofreality
04-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Would you want him?

He's graduating in May and ala Andre Walker can play next season.

6:9 260 lbs.

DC Muskie
04-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes?

Muskie
04-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Will he be as good as Andre Walker?

GoMuskies
04-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Will he be as good as Andre Walker?

Is this a trick question?

Muskie
04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Is this a trick question?
Sorta?

Also do we play Memphis next year? It looks like he will not be allowed a transfer to a team on their schedule. I can't remember if we've finished that series.

MarvAlbert
04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Everything I've seen says it was just a 2 year series.

Muskie
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Everything I've seen says it was just a 2 year series.
I saw that as well. I feel as if we've played them more than 2 times though? I'm too lazy to check the stack of media guides in my office (I'm simply waiting on MOR to log on and set me straight).

GoMuskies
04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
We've just played them twice in regularly scheduled games. We also beat them in Puerto Rico (?) in the finals of a holiday tournament.

Should have won all three.

Muskie
04-09-2013, 09:37 AM
We've just played them twice in regularly scheduled games. We also beat them in Puerto Rico (?) in the finals of a holiday tournament.

Should have won all three.

As far as the better than Andre Walker question. It gives me pause that he apparently just walked out of practice one day and Pastner saw fit to cut his minutes. We'll have a young impressionable team next season, and without knowing the specifics of his situation, I'm not sure how I feel.

boozehound
04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
As far as the better than Andre Walker question. It gives me pause that he apparently just walked out of practice one day and Pastner saw fit to cut his minutes. We'll have a young impressionable team next season, and without knowing the specifics of his situation, I'm not sure how I feel.

I agree with Muskie in that I would only want him if he is going to set a good example for the younger players.

Let's be honest here: Tarik Black probably isn't the missing piece that is going to take next year's team on a deep run. I would be more inclined to take Tarik Black in a situation like 2 years ago when we had very good guards but needed a forward badly. Next year will still be something of a rebuilding year, and I am more interested in building a strong nucleus of young players that buy into the system and each other.

That being said if he doesn't have attitude or effort issues he is a good player and would definitely help the team.

ammtd34
04-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I know nothing about him personally. Basketball wise, I would want him.

bobbiemcgee
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Black/Stain in the post sounds intriguing.

danaandvictory
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
No brainer, you take him if you can get him. Otherwise that scholarship probably sits fallow next year, unless Vezenkov/Etou both turn up.

Masterofreality
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Memphis was a two year deal and is up. Since Memphis is now with SucKS in the same league, we won't be playing them again for a long time.

Our chances of landing him would be tough. All the big boys will be in line for him.

PMI
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I would take Tarik Black in a heartbeat. Dude could be a MONSTER for us in a rejuvenated situation.

Muskie
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Anyone know what the story is with him bolting from practice?

PMI
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm guessing that he was in practice and had the epiphany that he was being coached by the biggest moron in college athletics who was only like three years older than him and thought to himself, "I don't have to deal with this shit. I could go anywhere else I want."

MHettel
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Stepping away from a tense situation might be teh thing he needs. Frustration is often "cumulative", so it probably was time for him to go.

If Mark Lyons can put his act together for a year, anyone can.

bigdiggins
04-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Coach told him to practice FTs?

blueblob06
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Averaged 20.8 mins/gm, 8.1 pts, 4.8 rebs, 59% from the field. Pretty nice numbers.

Bad news is while only playing 21 mins a game, he averaged 3.3 fouls. He fouled out of a heck of a lot of games. And he shot 44.8% FTs. Yikes.

With the amount of new guys in the program this fall, I think Mack would really have to like a transfer to add them into the mix as well. I'm also wondering what the heck happened between him and Pastner.

danaandvictory
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
He discovered that Pastner is kind of terrible?

ammtd34
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Is this going to be this year's Oriakhi thread?

DC Muskie
04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Is this going to be this year's Oriakhi thread?

It will be if we actually have a shot at him!

Charlesbt4
04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
A frontline rotation of Stainbrook, Philmore, Reynolds, and Black certainly would be intriguing. And let's be honest, Black has enormous potential.

SixFig
04-09-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking Stainbrook and Philmore are more traditional (ie less mobile) centers and I don't expect them to be on the floor together often. Do I trust Reynolds or Farr to be starting PF? Who knows?

Another factor when looking into the "graduate transfers" is they need to transfer to a place that has a masters program that their previous college didn't have. Coming from a large "college" like Memphis that has a ton of programs, Xavier's limited graduate school offerings might be a tough match.

danaandvictory
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
They always can work something out on that score, with an independent study or something like that. "Pedagogy in Cheese Coney Construction" or something. Besides, all of Memphis's graduate programs are in the School of Pimping.

DC Muskie
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I have a PhD in Big Pimpin' actually.

paulxu
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
What the heck has happened with the Vez guy?

ammtd34
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Well written press release.

"It is critical that I find a program that offers me the greatest chance of taking what I have learned over the last three years to the highest level," Black said in a press conference held at his Memphis home, attended by the Commercial Appeal. "Could I remain at Memphis and achieve the same? Quite possibly. But since as a graduate student I can play ball immediately next year, why not take advantage of this unique situation to gain a new perspective so that I can combine what I've learned at the U of M and what I will learn wherever I am next year in hopes of enhancing my versatility as a student-athlete?"

"I do not consider this a farewell," Black said."It's just a brief intermission until I come back home. I love my hometown and want you to know that wherever I go, my heart and soul will always be right here in Memphis."

GoMuskies
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Hmm, loves Memphis. Questionable judgment.

paulxu
04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Hmm, loves Memphis. Questionable judgment.

Says a guy living in Which it Taw.

XUFan09
04-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Still deciding between going pro and going to Xavier. If he commits, he commits, but there isn't much more going on. It's not like Mack can make a lot of trips out to see him or anything.

smileyy
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Is this the guy who went 0-100 from the free throw line against Xavier? Pass.

GoMuskies
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't trade for Memphis.

ballyhoohoo
04-09-2013, 03:31 PM

You're going to let a little murder convince you otherwise?

paulxu
04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Blues, ribs and Tennessee women.

Wake up.

blueblob06
04-10-2013, 08:11 AM
From Andy Katz article this morning....
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/83564/3-point-shot-new-leagues-shining-moment

"Memphis coach Josh Pastner said he gave Tarik Black a Tuesday deadline to decide if he wanted to stay with the Tigers. He did not, even though he was graduating. "I want guys to be here with enthusiasm to be here,'' said Pastner. Black will transfer and try to play immediately next season. The Tigers also lost Adonis Thomas, who is declaring for the NBA draft. But the American-bound Tigers have one of the top recruiting classes in the country. "(Black) is a good guy and I wish him the very best. He graduated," Pastner said. "But we'll be fine. We're still really talented. We've got the main corps and we've got the No. 2 recruiting class.''

DC Muskie
04-10-2013, 08:29 AM
It's funny the only time I read ESPN is on here, so thanks for the information.

It's good to know that despite the walkout, Pastner would still take him back. Of course that didn't prevent him from a backhanded compliment. Pastner will no doubt take the number 2 recruiting class and finish 5th in the AAAFFLLAACCK next season.

Muskie
04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
What does the article mean by "try to play next season"? If he's graduating, wont' he be eligible automatically or does the NCAA actually have to clear him (I don't remember how it worked with Walker).

JimmyTwoTimes37
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Is this the guy who went 0-100 from the free throw line against Xavier? Pass.

Not a great FT shooter...But would definitely help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WDq-0-8glc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8e5STZANtI

12/5 with 2 steals and 2 blocks vs VCU
13/4 vs Minnesota
21/2 with 2 steals vs Louisville
8/9 vs X
12/7 vs St Mary's

DC Muskie
04-10-2013, 09:20 AM
What does the article mean by "try to play next season"? If he's graduating, wont' he be eligible automatically or does the NCAA actually have to clear him (I don't remember how it worked with Walker).

I took it as, a place where he wants to go and they want him as well. A perfect fit probably.

danaandvictory
04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
He does have to get clearance from the NCAA and, I believe, Memphis.

THRILLHOUSE
04-10-2013, 09:58 AM
"@GoodmanCBS: Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others -- per his AAU coach."

BMoreX
04-10-2013, 09:58 AM
The competition:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 9m
Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others -- per his AAU coach Eric Robinson.

DC Muskie
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Why does someone who has been in college still have an AAU coach?

GIMMFD
04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Why does someone who has been in college still have an AAU coach?

Probably just a friend, that he still keeps in contact with. I know a couple guys who are still close with their AAU coaches here.
He could help a lot, I just don't see us getting him at all.

Muskie
04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
The competition:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 9m
Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others -- per his AAU coach Eric Robinson.

I'm calling Miami ... just on a hunch. No solid info.

ballyhoohoo
04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm calling Miami ... just on a hunch. No solid info.

I think they are out or even over

DC Muskie
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Probably just a friend, that he still keeps in contact with. I know a couple guys who are still close with their AAU coaches here.
He could help a lot, I just don't see us getting him at all.

Yeah, it was more a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I'll bet that he goes to Florida State.

GoMuskies
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Why has Snipe not taken up this cause like he did with Oriakhi? Very disappointing.

Muskie in dayton
04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Let me step back, WHO the heck is this Vez guy?

PMI
04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm thinking Stainbrook and Philmore are more traditional (ie less mobile) centers and I don't expect them to be on the floor together often. Do I trust Reynolds or Farr to be starting PF? Who knows?

Another factor when looking into the "graduate transfers" is they need to transfer to a place that has a masters program that their previous college didn't have. Coming from a large "college" like Memphis that has a ton of programs, Xavier's limited graduate school offerings might be a tough match.

I think if we went into next season with the exact roster we have now, which of course we will not, both Stainbrook and Philmore would start. Neither has great lift nor will they rebound much out of their areas, but I don't see who else we could start at the 4 to begin the year unless Reynolds is REALLY far along.

As for those who would choose to pass on Black just because of free throw shooting or whatever other little knocks you can find, let's just say I'm glad Mack is making the decisions and not any of you.

ammtd34
04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it was more a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I'll bet that he goes to Florida State.

Depending on how they'd want to play, he could lose minutes there to Andrew Wiggins (assuming he goes there).

waggy
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Black doesn't have very good rebounding numbers.

ThrowDownDBrown
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Lol like they even care about that. These transfers pick a place based off the basketball team then find a grad program that will allow them to play right away

smileyy
04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
The fact that that's even a rule (the master's program thing) and how little of an issue it is makes the rule a joke, and the NCAA a joke.

XUFan09
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Black doesn't have very good rebounding numbers.

He's good on the offensive glass, but only okay on the defensive end. His good block rate probably hurts his numbers there a little, but still, a defensive rebounding rate of 16.0% is kinda meh for a forward. Somehow it's second-best on the team, but then no one on the team other than D.J. Stephens is a good defensive rebounder.

XUFan09
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Let me step back, WHO the heck is this Vez guy?

Aleksander Vezenkov, Bulgarian stretch forward playing as a amateur on a Greek pro team right now.

MuskiePimp23
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Memphis was a two year deal and is up. Since Memphis is now with SucKS in the same league, we won't be playing them again for a long time.

Our chances of landing him would be tough. All the big boys will be in line for him.

We are in the Big East now...In case you didn't know, we are a BIG BOY. We are more like a Big MAN. The Cintas Center is one of the nicest facilities in all of college basketball and now our conference matches our facilities. This should send recruiting to an even higher level. If we went after Black hard, I think we would have a great chance.

Juice
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Depending on how they'd want to play, he could lose minutes there to Andrew Wiggins (assuming he goes there).

They don't play the same position.

GIMMFD
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
They don't play the same position.

I think he meant if they chose to go to a small line up, since Wiggins is 6'7 and could TECHNICALLY be a stretch 4ish type of person?

ammtd34
04-11-2013, 07:25 AM
I think he meant if they chose to go to a small line up, since Wiggins is 6'7 and could TECHNICALLY be a stretch 4ish type of person?

Yep.