PDA

View Full Version : To Wet your Whistle.

Masterofreality
04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Now that we've seen a year of Semaj, heres an article from November, 2011 that talked about XU's recruiting class that performed at a Showcase event.

Can't wait for next year!

"November 20, 2011

Future of Xavier on display at showcase
Eric Bossi

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The National Prep Showcase continued on the campus of Albertus Magnus College and there was no shortage of story lines.

Point guard Semaj Christon led a talented quartet of Xavier signees, Amir Garrett clarified his situation with St. John's, while Ryan Taylor, Jakarr Sampson and Sam Cassell showcased their game.

Semaj Christon led a strong contingent of Xavier signees on Saturday.

It was hard for Xavier head coach Chris Mack to keep from cracking a smile as he sat next to his wife and an assistant watching his four signees play in back-to-back-to-back games.

Starting things off was Rivals150 guard Myles Davis. The senior shooter at Fitchburg (Mass.) Notre Dame Prep was making deep jumpers as usual in a 23-point outing. But, more importantly, for the second day in a row Davis showed a bit more escapability via the dribble and ability to create either pull-up jumpers or to the rim opportunities.

Following Davis, Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Prep teammates Semaj Christon and Jalen Reynolds took the floor. Originally a class of 2011 signee from Michigan, Reynolds is a 6-foot-8 four-man with extreme bounce, a great frame and a willingness to go get rebounds. Already a high three-star who was ranked in the 2011 Rivals150, Reynolds is angling for a fourth star.

Currently ranked No. 72 in the class of 2012, the four-star Christon is the crown jewel of Mack's class and finished with 17 points and five assists. An impressive athlete with tremendous burst and length, Christon is an on-the-ball creator similar to five-star Providence signee Kris Dunn. Give him space and he'll break your ankle, give him a pick and he turns the corner with a head of steam that makes him nearly impossible to keep out of the lane. He's still a little loose with the ball and has some things to learn, but he's a guy who is positioning himself to make a big move inside the Rivals150.

Last but not least, James Farr took the floor with Pittsfield (Maine) MCI and looked solid as well. At 6-foot-8, he's a three star four man who has added weight, developed his low-post scoring game and learned to play with some more edge. He was good for 23 points and seven rebounds in a win and also looked comfortable knocking home some 17 foot jump shots."

Mel Cooley XU'81
04-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Last but not least, James Farr took the floor . . .

What did you guys make of Farr this year. I recall he looked good early.

Clearly he didn't do enough for Mack to earn significant minutes.

Where will he start next year?

On schedule? Behind? In the doghouse? Elsewhere?

JTG
04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I seem to remember reading some where last year that while still in HS in Michigan, Reynolds regularly outplayed UM star Mitch McGary. Now McGary is being praised as a main cog in the Wolverines game. Anxious to see Reynolds next year, along with Stainbrook.

Masterofreality
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
What did you guys make of Farr this year. I recall he looked good early.

Clearly he didn't do enough for Mack to earn significant minutes.

Where will he start next year?

On schedule? Behind? In the doghouse? Elsewhere?

One word, defense. He was a foul machine when he got in there, but so was Jason Love when he was a Frosh.

I expect a big leap up for James next year. We need a "stretch 4".

kyxu
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
He's not going to blow you away just yet with his ability, but Farr's mechanics seemed to be pretty sound. I remember watching him put up a three this year, and thought his form looked really good for a big man, let alone a freshman.

bleedXblue
04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I seem to remember reading some where last year that while still in HS in Michigan, Reynolds regularly outplayed UM star Mitch McGary. Now McGary is being praised as a main cog in the Wolverines game. Anxious to see Reynolds next year, along with Stainbrook.

I dont know about that. McGary was a 5 star and clealry very polished for a frosh.

I'm just hopeful that he can contribute from day 1 and bring us some much needed physical play in the post

kyxu
04-03-2013, 10:21 AM

This is a good opportunity to remind people that Will Caudle "dominated" David West in Xavier practices.

EDIT: But I do remember reading the same thing about Reynolds.

bleedXblue
04-03-2013, 10:24 AM
This is a good opportunity to remind people that Will Caudle "dominated" David West in Xavier practices.

Exactly where I was going.

Guys has been pretty dormant for an entire year. He's going to need some time to get back into the flow of things.

Nigel Tufnel
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15585042/xavier-marks-the-spot-for-hidden-gem-reynolds

nuts4xu
04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing both Reynolds and Myles Davis play next year. Both seem to give us options we just didn't have this year.

If Farr can make a jump, and be able to contribute regularly, it will help this team tremendously.

It's a long ways away, but I can't wait to see the make up of next year's team.

JTG
04-03-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15585042/xavier-marks-the-spot-for-hidden-gem-reynolds

Thanks for the link, I knew I saw that somewhere, just couldn't remember where.

BandAid
04-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing both Reynolds and Myles Davis play next year. Both seem to give us options we just didn't have this year.

If Farr can make a jump, and be able to contribute regularly, it will help this team tremendously.

It's a long ways away, but I can't wait to see the make up of next year's team.

I'm incredibly excited about next year as well. I don't expect the team to be ready to compete at an ultra-high level, but they should have all the tools to pick up where they left off this year (although transitioning from Taylor to Stain/Reynolds make take a little bit with them having to sit a year and all).

UCGRAD4X
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
It will be fun and interesting to see the transformation. It's like it will be a (almost) whole new team in a whole new league.

Taylor was the best player in practice the year before he played....his disappointing first year. We were able to see the upside, eventually. Patience is key but the sheer numbers and competition will push some to rise up...some earlier than others. One whole, the upside is exciting to think about.

When is Muskie Madness again?

UCGRAD4X
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
"He (Reynolds) was clearly the most dominant player in the gym," said one of the 30 or so Division I coaches in attendance.

This kid is going to come out of the gate smoking. He sat out a year as a HS junior. Came back strong. Played with SemaJ and against some pretty damn good competition and dominated (as the quote above indicates). He'll have his books in order so he'll be able to spend a lot of time in the gym.

Can't wait!

All you nay-sayers...I fart in your general direction!

XU-XHI
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
(although transitioning from Taylor to Stain/Reynolds make take a little bit with them having to sit a year and all).
Let's not forget about Ike. Philmore continued to improve thru this past season. With a solid off-season, you'll be seeing more Stain/Philmore with the ability to ease Reynolds into the line-up. Stainbrook/Philmore/Reynolds/Farr - looks like the ingredients of a solid front line come conference play next season.

danaandvictory
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Worth noting that McGary had his share of struggles early on, and I expect Reynolds to really scuffle in his adjustment period. But if he can give X some production early and at least go out and rebound and defend to start with, he'll be incredibly valuable. I don't think there's any doubt the staff would like to run this coming season. I gather that they hated having to play the plodding style they were forced into last year. Unfortunately neither Philmore or Stain is going to be accused of gazelle-like quickness, so if Reynolds can be that kind of rim-runner he'll get lots of chances early.

Myself, I expect him to start out with similar results as Travis Taylor did his first season - a little off the pace, not great offensively, but capable of playing tough defense and rebounding when he doesn't foul. But I expect a very quick learning curve and think he's got an extraordinary ceiling.

nuts4xu
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Let's not forget about Ike. Philmore continued to improve thru this past season.

I thought his nickname was Zeke. Is Ike short for Isaiah?

payday
04-07-2013, 08:32 AM
I thought his nickname was Zeke. Is Ike short for Isaiah?

His nickname in our section of Cintas is Millard.

Masterofreality
04-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Worth noting that McGary had his share of struggles early on, and I expect Reynolds to really scuffle in his adjustment period. But if he can give X some production early and at least go out and rebound and defend to start with, he'll be incredibly valuable. I don't think there's any doubt the staff would like to run this coming season. I gather that they hated having to play the plodding style they were forced into last year. Unfortunately neither Philmore or Stain is going to be accused of gazelle-like quickness, so if Reynolds can be that kind of rim-runner he'll get lots of chances early.

Myself, I expect him to start out with similar results as Travis Taylor did his first season - a little off the pace, not great offensively, but capable of playing tough defense and rebounding when he doesn't foul. But I expect a very quick learning curve and think he's got an extraordinary ceiling.

I hope that some of our more impatient fans will be a little patient with this group next year.

The following players will be playing huge roles early and they are all Frosh, Sophs or sat out a year-

Semaj, Myles, Jalen, Stain, Brandon, Kamall. That is 6 guys out of the opening rotation of 9. Like Dana said, McGary had early struggles. I for one was impressed by the way he developed quickly and admit that I was wrong about questioning the level of his talent. There are people saying that he should go into the draft now.

Not sure about that, but folks should remember how much of a transition to high level D1 basketball it is....and practice is not the same as games.

UCGRAD4X
04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Look how young the Michigan team is that might very well win the NC on Monday. The youngest team in the whole field of 64 this year - so I heard.

Xavier could be that team next year.

I'n not getting my hopes up to high (ok, maybe I am) but I'm not completely dismissing the idea either.

XUPhilly04
04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
My first post here.

I think there is a good chance Jalen can contribute early on as a solid rebounder off the bench soley because of his age and opportunity to improve his strength. However, I think he will a foul machine early on as well. The player that will have biggest impact early on is Stainbrook. I'm hoping he is a solid scorer in the post like J. Love his senior year.
Also, it will be interesting to see how Semaj and Brandon play while on the court at the same time. Both seem to be similar type of players. In two years, Mack might have just build a backcourt with an even better verson of Tu & Lyons.

Thor in 204
04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I anticipate that Stainbrook will be able to play well from the start. Jalen Reynolds will take some time to adjust to defensive schemes but will show signs of brilliance early on. James Farr will be better. I know that he's projected as a stretch 4 who can shoot threes, but I think he runs the floor well and can finish in transition. Don't know what Cantino might bring, and don't have much feel for Jamaal Richards and what will be his learning curve. I think the most important yet-to-be-seen about the newcomers from a team success standpoint is Myles Davis, i.e. can he play defense well enough to be on the floor to display his offense skills.

UCGRAD4X
04-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Myles Davis, i.e. can he play defense well enough to be on the floor to display his offense skills.

Yup - this will be the big question. But with B. and Dee also taking minutes, how much will he be expected to contribute anyway? We do need someone on the court that can shoot from the outside. The best scenario would be for SemaJ to develop that like he showed late in the year.

Masterofreality
04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
How's this to wet your whistle?

Tweet from MCGary's and Reynolds' former coach at Brewster Academy:

“@JoshLee_BAHoops: McGary came off the bench about 6-7 times last year. And the reason was Mitch said Jalen Reynolds was deserving.”

xudash
04-07-2013, 05:22 PM
How's this to wet your whistle?

Tweet from MCGary's and Reynolds' former coach at Brewster Academy:

“@JoshLee_BAHoops: McGary came off the bench about 6-7 times last year. And the reason was Mitch said Jalen Reynolds was deserving.”

You have to imagine that he was watching his former teammate last night, salivating over imagining his opportunity beginning next season.

paulxu
04-07-2013, 06:28 PM
"It sure is. I feel like everything's done and I'm ready to go hard and ball out. I'm going to go out on top. And I'm going to get Xavier to the Final Four. Make sure you write that down."

I'm ready for that.

paulxu
04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
On the Travelers site for scheduling games, there is a post from Mario back in December that reads:

Xavier needs to start several high-major home-and-homes on the ROAD. Please email me to discuss dates. Mario Mercurio mercuriom@xavier.edu

I wonder if he knew back then we would be in the BE for sure.
Also there was a meeting in Atlanta on Friday in conjunction with the FF on scheduling.

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1

DC Muskie
04-08-2013, 08:15 AM
My first post here.

I think there is a good chance Jalen can contribute early on as a solid rebounder off the bench soley because of his age and opportunity to improve his strength. However, I think he will a foul machine early on as well. The player that will have biggest impact early on is Stainbrook. I'm hoping he is a solid scorer in the post like J. Love his senior year.
Also, it will be interesting to see how Semaj and Brandon play while on the court at the same time. Both seem to be similar type of players. In two years, Mack might have just build a backcourt with an even better verson of Tu & Lyons.

My question about Stainbrook, how is the year off going to effect him? We will need that low post scoring for sure next season. His learning curve will have to be short.

PMI
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
With Farr, he clearly has a nice stroke and a big body, but he played WAY too stiff to see significant minutes this past year. I think he grew several inches very quickly a couple years ago, so it's not a surprise that it may take him some time to move more comfortably, especially on defense.

There's a reason Mitch McGary was a top 5 recruit coming out of high school, but he definitely did not play like a top 5 player as a senior at Brewster most of last year. Actually, he was pretty frustrating this year as a freshman until the tournament (which I'm sure Michigan fans are more than fine with.) But he is an awesome player. It's a good sign that Reynolds more than held his own on that Brewster team and I do think he will contribute next year. He will almost surely be a little inconsistent as a freshman and will probably be in foul trouble quite a bit, but he will also make some ridiculously athletic and exciting plays and provide some energy on the glass.

Overall, I expect Xavier to be really good by March next year. I think we'll be one of the top 25 teams in the country heading into the tournament and will compete for the Big East title. I really don't think I'm stretching at all either. Semaj will take a bother leap forward and arguably be the best player in the conference and we will have plenty of good players around him. The biggest key to me, as always, will be whether or not Justin Martin can get it together. If he becomes a consistent player at the 3, watch out.

Masterofreality
04-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Already a Pre-season Top 25. Xavier mentioned.

Btw. Unbelieveable how much of a pass Josh Pastner gets.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/forecasting-the-ncaa-basketball-top-25-in-2013-14/2061989/

GoMuskies
04-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Already a Pre-season Top 25. Xavier mentioned.

Btw. Unbelieveable how much of a pass Josh Pastner gets.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/forecasting-the-ncaa-basketball-top-25-in-2013-14/2061989/

Need to forward this strategically around the office. Could be a conversation starter.

No. 11 Wichita State (This season: 30-9, lost in the Final Four): The Shockers cannot be taken out of the nationally-ranked equation if Gregg Marshall is coaching. After losing its top five scorers last season, WSU staged a colossal upset over No. 1 Gonzaga and nearly stunned top overall seed Louisville during a storybook NCAA tournament run. Carl Hall and Malcolm Armstead's losses will be huge, but leading scorer Cleanthony Early (13.9 ppg) and standout freshman Ron Baker return.

No. 12 Kansas (31-6, lost in the Sweet 16): The Jayhawks were less than five seconds away from advancing to the Elite Eight before Michigan's Trey Burke forced overtime with a 28-foot dagger. That ended Kansas' season and now seniors Jeff Withey (13.7 ppg, 8.5 rpg. 3.9 bpg), Travis Releford (11.9 ppg) and Elijah Johnson (9.9 ppg) are gone. Freshman sensation Ben McLemore's is likely to declare for the draft so Bill Self will be forced to turn to underclassman Perry Ellis and another loaded freshman class in 2013-14.

danaandvictory
04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
My question about Stainbrook, how is the year off going to effect him? We will need that low post scoring for sure next season. His learning curve will have to be short.

Bigger concern for me is whether his knee injury will affect his conditioning. I think the guy has the skill set to thrive, but this year with Philmore it was pretty clear how long he was dealing with the afteraffects of that injury.

BMoreX
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
lol at FGCU receiving votes in that USA Today poll.

JTG
04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
lol at FGCU receiving votes in that USA Today poll.

Seriously ???? They'll never be heard from again.

paulxu
04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
When I was reading this story it occured to me that one of you yayhoos probably tried to bring a watermelon into a game at the dump, got turned away, and put the Jimmy Carter curse on them.

All I want to know is which one of you did it.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9158055/goat-head-delivered-chicago-cubs-owner-tom-ricketts-wrigley-field