PDA

View Full Version : Entrance into Big East= improve XU Soccer Complex?

xu9697
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
With X's success on the pitch the last few seasons and now entering the BE with successful programs like GTown, Creighton and SJU, will X take the next step and continue to improve the Soccer Complex (outside of just the field)? Most specifically, I would love to see seating and press box that we could be proud of.

LA Muskie
03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
With X's success on the pitch the last few seasons and now entering the BE with successful programs like GTown, Creighton and SJU, will X take the next step and continue to improve the Soccer Complex (outside of just the field)? Most specifically, I would love to see seating and press box that we could be proud of.
I don't believe that is a high priority. The top two capital improvement priorities are (i) new Rec Center (which may eventually lead to renovations to O'Conner that would constitute improvements for soccer and baseball); and (ii) a new building for the Montessori Education program.

BlueGuy
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I believe G'town, Villanova, St Johns, and Providence field lacrosse teams. Where do they land in this NBE?

We should scrap male soccer, and pick up lacrosse.

BMoreX
03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
I believe G'town, Villanova, St Johns, and Providence field lacrosse teams. Where do they land in this NBE?

We should scrap male soccer, and pick up lacrosse.

Wait really? The same men's soccer team that has been to the NCAAs back to back seasons? Surely, you jest.

As for lacrosse, I have a few friends on the club team. In no way, shape, or form are they ready to compete in D1. Great guys and played high school lax, but they'd be the first to tell you X isn't ready for D1.

GoMuskies
03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
If we started a lacrosse program, none of those guys would be on the team.

BMoreX
03-26-2013, 11:15 PM

No I totally agree.

My main issue was him saying to get rid of soccer. Makes no sense for what is arguably the second most successful Xavier sport currently.

Muskie
03-27-2013, 07:00 AM
I have big a proponent of having auctions on goxavier for soccer related stuff. There are definitely interested people and it helps raise funds for the program.

I think this is an area where the new AD will excel.

Also as a side note, when I see sju i think St. Joe's. Gotta get in a new frame of mind.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

coasterville95
03-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Also as a side note, when I see sju i think St. Joe's. Gotta get in a new frame of mind.

A New York state of mind?

I know I had asked back when we were still waiting for the announcement about how our facilities were for our sports other than basketball.

I'm not talking a full blown "Varsity Villiage" but when they redo O'Connor maybe it will include some upgrades to Hayden and the Soccer Complex. I need to do a little web touring of our new peers facilities to see how we do stand.

DC Muskie
03-27-2013, 07:17 AM
I'd get rid of track. Who watches that?

BlueGuy
03-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Honestly, I had no clue male soccer made it to their tournament. The rifle team was allegedly good as well. Xavier still got rid of that team. As far as fan support and revenue, lacrosse would blow male soccer out of the water. Since moving back to NY, we've been to a few Syracuse games. I realize we wouldn't have the following they have, but they average about 5,000 a game. What does male soccer get, 500? I went to one game while at X, and that was only because they were giving out free t-shirts.

I doubt X is even looking to add sports since joining the NBE. If they do, I hope lacrosse is a serious option. I think it could bring in a lot of support, and add another revenue stream to the athletic department, instead of costing money like some of the other sports. They could always add a softball team to satisfy title IX.

xu95
03-27-2013, 07:41 AM
A New York state of mind?

New York State of Mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZh8YjbDiVk

xu95
03-27-2013, 07:41 AM
or Empire State of Mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8

xu95
03-27-2013, 07:48 AM
or Empire State of Mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8

First of all, I hate it when they block out cuss words in a song. The artist put it in there for a reason. Fuck em. :bigstick:

I always knew Jay Z was an X fan, but he proves it at the 1:24 mark.

Muskie
03-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Honestly, I had no clue male soccer made it to their tournament. The rifle team was allegedly good as well. Xavier still got rid of that team. As far as fan support and revenue, lacrosse would blow male soccer out of the water. Since moving back to NY, we've been to a few Syracuse games. I realize we wouldn't have the following they have, but they average about 5,000 a game. What does male soccer get, 500? I went to one game while at X, and that was only because they were giving out free t-shirts.

I doubt X is even looking to add sports since joining the NBE. If they do, I hope lacrosse is a serious option. I think it could bring in a lot of support, and add another revenue stream to the athletic department, instead of costing money like some of the other sports. They could always add a softball team to satisfy title IX.

I don't know what the current climate for Lacrosse is like in Cincy? (I assume it is popular in the high schools like it is in Indiana) But at this point I bet Lacrosse (after the newness wore off) would draw around the same type of crowds at Men's Soccer? One of the big problems I see with the location of the Soccer field (pitch for my British friends) is that it is currently not close to the other major buildings on campus. I understand that our campus is relatively compact compared to other places, but the field is not on the way to anything of interest to most students (outside of class). It wasn't so long ago that the University struggled to get kids over from the Dorms to Cintas (which is gotta be only 200-300 yards or so) for some of the games.

DC Muskie
03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I would love to add lacrosse. But no one in their right mind, except maybe our friend from Wichita, would drop soccer.

I'm not sure what the following of lacrosse is in Cincinnati, but the entire sport is exploding. Notre Dame and Ohio State have top flight teams this season. I'm not sure what their attendance is. Marquette just started their program and lost 18-8 to Ohio State the other week. It blows my mind that Ohio state and Marquette play D 1 lacrosse.

I used to work at Loyola in Baltimore, and the only time they came close to 5,000 in attendance was when they played Johns Hopkins. That could be different now that they won the national title and have their own specific lacrosse stadium. Good crowds, but then again they had pretty good crowds for their soccer team which was pretty good when I was there.

It will be interested to see what the Big East does with the sport. Lacrosse is not cheap, but if we were in a position to build it up for D1 I'd be all for it.

Muskie
03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
I would love to add lacrosse. But no one in their right mind, except maybe our friend from Wichita, would drop soccer.

I'm not sure what the following of lacrosse is in Cincinnati, but the entire sport is exploding. Notre Dame and Ohio State have top flight teams this season. I'm not sure what their attendance is. Marquette just started their program and lost 18-8 to Ohio State the other week. It blows my mind that Ohio state and Marquette play D 1 lacrosse.

I used to work at Loyola in Baltimore, and the only time they came close to 5,000 in attendance was when they played Johns Hopkins. That could be different now that they won the national title and have their own specific lacrosse stadium. Good crowds, but then again they had pretty good crowds for their soccer team which was pretty good when I was there.

It will be interested to see what the Big East does with the sport. Lacrosse is not cheap, but if we were in a position to build it up for D1 I'd be all for it.

How much does it cost to outfit a kid in Lacrosse Equipment versus say soccer? I had no idea Lacrosse was so expensive.

paulxu
03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Here's what happened at Richmond when they did it last year (dropped soccer and added lacrosse).
Good to have a deep pocket to donate the $3 million to get up and running. DC's got that covered.

http://rvanews.com/sports/ur-drops-mens-track-and-mens-soccer-adds-mens-lacrosse/68390

Titanxman04
03-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Wait really? The same men's soccer team that has been to the NCAAs back to back seasons? Surely, you jest.

As for lacrosse, I have a few friends on the club team. In no way, shape, or form are they ready to compete in D1. Great guys and played high school lax, but they'd be the first to tell you X isn't ready for D1.

I was vice president of the club lax team at X for a couple of years. That team was organized or all that serious when I was there. Maybe things are different now or new leadership has made it for the better, but alas, none of those guys would ever step on the field for X as a D-1 program.

It would be absolutely awesome to see X field a lax team, but I just don't expect it anytime soon.

BlueGuy
03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Having a lacrosse team in the NBE and a club lacrosse team have nothing to do with each other.

xu9697
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
If anything, Xavier should get rid of baseball in order to start another spring sport like Lacrosse. And, I am not REALLY advocating getting rid of baseball, but it would be a more sensible one to go if Lacrosse is brought in.

I am a 1997 graduate living in Cleveland, and I have felt for years that, if X is never going to bring back football (at a lower level like GTown, Dayton, Butler. etc.) then Lacrosse is the way to go. Joining the BE, it makes even more sense than ever. Men's & Women's Lacrosse. Add a field to Xavier Square...if that does get started up.

I feel that with the TV deal and all that comes with being in the BE, X needs to ramp up the facilities in a big way (sports and otherwise). Soccer first, potentially adding Lacrosse and field to accommodate and improvements to other facilities. I understand and agree rec ctr should be first. X has big-time education buildings, dorms and b-ball/vball arena. I hope that our new AD is partially here b/c he can push those next few projects to the forefront.

DC Muskie
03-28-2013, 01:26 PM
How much does it cost to outfit a kid in Lacrosse Equipment versus say soccer? I had no idea Lacrosse was so expensive.

I'm not sure of the breakdown, but the equipment alone is more expensive in lacrosse than soccer.

Plus, if you have a really good lacrosse program, you could play in say Denver on a regular basis, because the University of Denver has an excellent lacrosse program. Dead serious. The University of Denver. In Colorado.

Here's what happened at Richmond when they did it last year (dropped soccer and added lacrosse).
Good to have a deep pocket to donate the $3 million to get up and running. DC's got that covered.

http://rvanews.com/sports/ur-drops-mens-track-and-mens-soccer-adds-mens-lacrosse/68390

Man that's just crazy. Virginia as a state used to be awesome in soccer. UVA, Richmond, VCU. I know VCU is still pretty good.

I'll have to work my magic to get that endowment. I know who I would go to if I worked on that project at Xavier, that's for sure.

GoMuskies
03-28-2013, 01:33 PM

I would not advocate dropping soccer. I want Xavier to be excellent at a lot of things I have no interest in watching.