PDA

View Full Version : BGSU's Greg Christopher to be named Xavier AD

Caveat
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
...per Brett McMurphy on twitter:

Greg Christopher, Bowling Green's AD past 7 years, will be named Xavier's new AD, source told @ESPN
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/316281911448305664

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Same type of hire as Bobo was all those years ago.

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Dammit, I thought we were hiring Thorr.

Is Bowling Green good at anything?

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Volleyball.

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Sweet! Bring on more short shorts talent!

MD Muskie
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Dammit, I thought we were hiring Thorr.

Is Bowling Green good at anything?

Their hockey program is pretty decent. and I think, but could be wrong, this AD helped get a new arena built on campus for Basketball and hockey.

Caveat
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Over the last 7 years, Bowling Green is 68-86 in basketball. Their last tournament appearance was in 1968.

Football has a few recent bowl appearances, for whatever it's worth.

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Over the last 7 years, Bowling Green is 68-86 in basketball.

Their last tournament appearance was in 1968.

The good news is that our basketball program doesn't need any work. Just maintenance.

ammtd34
03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Their hockey program is pretty decent. and I think, but could be wrong, this AD helped get a new arena built on campus for Basketball and hockey.

Over the last 7 years, Bowling Green is 68-86 in basketball. Their last tournament appearance was in 1968.

Making the above feat more impressive to me.

Caveat
03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
It just seems like a really odd choice -- BG is usually the absolute bottom of the barrel in revenue and spending in the MAC for any given year. They've got a generally disinterested alumni base, and the BG people I know couldn't name a single player or coach in any one of their sports.

I guess he must've nailed the interview.

MD Muskie
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
out of left field choice since the only names really ever leaked were from Xavier or the URI AD. I will wait to call it an odd choice until we learn more about him. I do believe that this will be way better than the Dawn Rogers hire.

Flyer1407
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

Haven't been around in awhile. Saw the news thought I'd give you my opinion as a BG grad.

Cristopher is loved and hated by BG people. He is a GREAT fundraiser. He was the leading force behind the Sebo football center.

http://choose.bgsu.edu/campus/videos/?video=yBH39a4w-Tw
http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/mc/news/2007/news37320.html

And the Stroh Center, Bowling Green's new basketball arena.

http://www.strohcenter.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh_Center

The football program has been up and down. He fired Gregg Brandon and hired Dave Clawson, who has completely turned the program around, on and off the field.

His lone hire for basketball was Louis Orr. Who has been dreadful. He won 1 MAC East title with Dan Dakich's players. Since then .500 has been the norm with the past few seasons being awful. Most fans wanted Orr gone last year, everyone wanted him gone this year. He hasn't been fired, yet. But, obviously that may change now.

Women's basketball have been very good under him. Soccer and baseball have not been good.

It's an interesting hire. I met him several occasions and always liked him, that said...a lot of people thought it was time for a change. Good luck to you guys and him.

Caveat
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

Most BG grads I know weren't sober long enough in undergrad to realize they had an athletic program.

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Louis Orr still coaches there? Wow. Remember when he was at Seton Hall?

Anyone remember? Anyone?

Exactly.

Masterofreality
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
He served as the Chairman of the NCAA Women's Basketball Committee in 2011-2012, so he must be respected around the College ranks.

Don't thnk he's a bad hire at all. Bobo came from Akron.

Main thing is that he and Chris Mack get along and they share the same vision and goals. If that is the case, all good with me.

Here's one more point. For years, the heavy lifting for the XU athletic program was to move into position for the best conference affiliation possible. That is now done. The job now transitions, in a major way, to a fundraising capacity and making sure that everything stays compliant.

Bobo did a great job with the coaching hires, but I think we are stable for a good while with them now.

Welcome Greg Christopher!

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
He might be wonderful. We'll have a better idea in about five years, I suppose.

Flyer1407
03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
It just seems like a really odd choice -- BG is usually the absolute bottom of the barrel in revenue and spending in the MAC for any given year. They've got a generally disinterested alumni base, and the BG people I know couldn't name a single player or coach in any one of their sports.

I guess he must've nailed the interview.

I will say this. Lots of alums are close to the football program and hockey program. The basketball program has been so bad the past 7 years people have completely given up, even with a brand new arena. I went to only a few games while I was in school.

Just a head scratcher to me. I would consider BG a football and hockey school. And depending on the year, not in that order.

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Does he look at Amy Waugh? It looks like our women's team has fallen flat since she took over. I admit I don't pay close attention, but it seems like that might be a place of concern for the new AD.

Flyer1407
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
To whoever said BG was towards the bottom of spending. That is correct. That said, they just gave Dave Clawson a raise to be one the highest paid football coaches and gave all his assistants raises to the upper part of the MAC. Lots of donors and the big donors ear mark their money for football only. It is the only sport at BG that buys out coaches.

The money spent on basketball is minuscule. Orr makes something like $160,000. I think Cristopher will be successful with the support he will get at Xavier.

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Does he look at Amy Waugh? It looks like our women's team has fallen flat since she took over. I admit I don't pay close attention, but it seems like that might be a place of concern for the new AD.

She's only been there two years, right? And the guy before left zilch in the cupboard. I think they managed to win about the last five or six in a row last year, too. She's probably safe for another couple of years.

Masterofreality
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
She's only been there two years, right? And the guy before left zilch in the cupboard. I think they managed to win about the last five or six in a row last year, too. She's probably safe for another couple of years.

She's got 6 highly regarded recruits coming in this year too. As Go said, when McGuff left, he left nothing in the program. Takes time to rebuild those recruiting relationships too.

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
She's got 6 highly regarded recruits coming in this year too. As Go said, when McGuff left, he left nothing in the program. Takes time to rebuild those recruiting relationships too.

Great. I hope she succeeds obviously. It was sad to see such a drop off from the blown layup that could have sent us to the Final Four, to losing 400 games in a season.

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
losing 400 games in a season.

That HAS to be a record.

BMoreX
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
@slrussell: #Xavier fans are invited to attend the press conference introducing Christopher (again, 3 p.m. tomorrow at Cintas Center). Live stream too.

SixFig
03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Greg Christopher eh? I never trust people with two first names.

paulxu
03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
I've always been suspicious of Jimmytwotimes.

Xavgrad08
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
His biography seems solid. Welcome to the Xavier family Christopher.
http://www.bgsufalcons.com/staff.aspx?staff=1

Titanxman04
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Being from BG and growing up a Falcon fan, he has transformed the athletic facilities. The football and basketball programs got new facilities and a facelift
Hockey is the favorite there, as they are in the CCHA with osu, michigan, notre dame, etc... im interested in what he will bring to the table, but im pretty excited about this.

Muskie
03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
BG has a decent Women's Basketball Program.

LA Muskie
03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I honestly don't care that much about the new AD. Not every AD is an out-in-front, face-of-the-school kind of guy like Bobinski was. Many (maybe most) are fundraisers and number crunchers (in fact that is how Bobo got his start). The one issue I have is hiring. But even there I'm not too worried. Our basketball programs have reached levels where those jobs will be in heavy demand. Maybe not so much with respect to the other sports, but it's not like Bobo was hitting it out of the park with those hires anyway. Fleming is a great recent hire, but there were several duds before him.

xudash
03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
His biography seems solid. Welcome to the Xavier family Christopher.
http://www.bgsufalcons.com/staff.aspx?staff=1

Actually, a very solid resume. This one came out of left field if for no other reason than it appeared that the URI AD seemed locked and loaded.

Mike from Akron via ND and strong experience.

Chris from BGSU via Miami (twice) and strong experience and results.

Welcome to Victory Parkway.

SkyWalker
03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Louis Orr still coaches there? Wow. Remember when he was at Seton Hall?

Anyone remember? Anyone?

Exactly.

I remember Louis Orr playing at Withrow.

MuskieFN
03-25-2013, 07:59 PM
I grew up a Xavier fan (and still am) and went to school at BG. The one major criticism of Christopher is that basketball coach Louis Orr should have been fired each of the last two seasons. But there is a real question about whether there was available money to do it at either time. He made a bold move in firing the football coach who came in after Urban Meyer, and last fall was the first season it really started to look good. He was chair of the women's basketball selection committee last year.

But maybe as important is the improvement in fundraising and facilities. He was instrumental in the opening of a new arena/convocation center and securing a 10 million dollar endowment for men's basketball.

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-25-2013, 08:42 PM
A warm welcome to Greg Christopher.

UCGRAD4X
03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
If he can help make sure our recruits are eligible - he'll be worth his weight in gold...and have you seen the price of gold lately?

Xman95
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Shocked by the lack of tourney experiences, especially considering they had Larranaga there for 11 seasons and he was coaching at least one big time player in Antonio Daniels.

OTRMUSKIE
03-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Like it or not but you can't fire a black coach as easy as a white coach. Kentucky and Minnesota are great examples. I am sure we will hear uproar over Tubby this week. Bottom line it's an AD and as long as we keep winning who the hell cares

Caveat
03-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Like it or not but you can't fire a black coach as easy as a white coach. Kentucky and Minnesota are great examples. I am sure we will hear uproar over Tubby this week. Bottom line it's an AD and as long as we keep winning who the hell cares

As long as Chris Mack stays, at least. Facts are facts: Greg Christopher has 1 Men's BB hire to his name as an AD, and the guy sucks.

X-band '01
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Shocked by the lack of tourney experiences, especially considering they had Larranaga there for 11 seasons and he was coaching at least one big time player in Antonio Daniels.

That was when Miami basketball really mattered in the MAC and when Kent State was building a great program.

Then again, I don't remember Akron hitting any home runs with their basketball program while Bobinski was their AD, either. Best of luck to Christopher.

DC Muskie
03-26-2013, 08:03 AM
As long as Chris Mack stays, at least. Facts are facts: Greg Christopher has 1 Men's BB hire to his name as an AD, and the guy sucks.

I would imagine we would attract a better pool of candidates than Bowling Green.

I like the fact he has been an AD and isn't moving up to take his first AD job.

MD Muskie
03-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Its a one, maybe two bid league most of the time. Why is that so shocking?

bleedXblue
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
tough to pull someone from one of the big conferences..........we dont have football....that hurts our pool of potential candidates

Not surprised at all that we pulled from someone from the MAC

DC Muskie
03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Not surprised at all that we pulled from someone from the MAC

Who can raise money.

nuts4xu
03-26-2013, 09:43 AM
The past couple guys I remember Xavier hiring with experience at Miami on their resumes, worked out great.

http://667890af24dcf3c4ff75-3c5c7cf439b200c763d8c176f7f8a124.r52.cf2.rackcdn.c om/images/images/2997/photos/large/thad_matta.jpg_fde967e2bc15de31c34979b6f8a96e4b?13 64164063

gladdenguy
03-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Is he serious with that nose? He makes enough money.....make some changes beaknose. Don't do it before its too late....aka Anthony Myles.

BMoreX
03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Press conference starting in 5 minutes. It's on goxavier.com if anyone is interested.

MD Muskie
03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I wasn't able to watch the presser because of work today. For anyone that did or was there, what are your thoughts of the new AD, Greg Christopher?

DC Muskie
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
I wasn't able to watch the presser because of work today. For anyone that did or was there, what are your thoughts of the new AD, Greg Christopher?

You can't pull it off the web site either. I'm very interested in hearing people's perspectives.

Caveat
03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Seemed well spoken and very "Midwestern" overall. His wife and kids made an appearance -- she teaches at a Catholic school in Toledo, his kids all go to Catholic schools in Toledo too.

Lots of generalities, talk about being excited to lead Xavier into a new conference and be part of building the program in that conference. Said Bobinski personally called him a month ago to ask if he'd be interested in the gig and it led to him eventually taking the job. Described himself as "somewhat anal" about details, wants to be successful in classroom and on field as well.

Took 3 or 4 softball questions and that was it. Didn't talk much about what his plans at Xavier were or about his time at Bowling Green.

MD Muskie
03-26-2013, 03:54 PM
thanks CAVEAT. I like that Bobinski had a part in this hire. Some schools/businesses don't use their predecessors to vet their interviewees, when if there was a strong working relationship its good to do so. So I like that Bobo played a part in this.

Caveat
03-26-2013, 03:56 PM
thanks CAVEAT. I like that Bobinski had a part in this hire. Some schools/businesses don't use their predecessors to vet their interviewees, when if there was a strong working relationship its good to do so. So I like that Bobo played a part in this.

Yeah, the guy's resume seems suspect as heck to me, but the fact that Bobinski actively recruited the guy and (apparently) gave the hire his blessing puts me a little at ease.

MD Muskie
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
why do you say its suspect, because of the lack of progression in basketball? I only ask because we shouldn't, as alum and fans, only base our thoughts on his impact on basketball. Are there other areas that you feel his resume is suspect? I don't really know much about this guy so thats why I am asking.

LA Muskie
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't take the fact that Bobinski made the call to mean much. Word is that he had very little involvement with this.

MD Muskie
03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
i wouldn't expect him to be in the full interview process but its nice that he reached out and vetted him and gave Fr. Graham his two cents. Its better than nothing.

Masterofreality
03-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Your not going to get too much in a press conference, although I wish that Shannon or one of the other guys would have asked if Chris Mack was on the search committee of if Greg Christopher spoke to him after accepting the job.

I like the fact that he was Chairman of the Women's Basketball committee and also had contact with Mike Bobinski in that regard given that XU was really good when he was on the Committee. he has also been named to the NCAA Committee of Infractions. He is obviously well-respected in the Collegiate ranks outside of his own school. He built buildings and raised money.

Looks like a pretty good resume to me.

Nocalmuskie
03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah, the guy's resume seems suspect as heck to me, but the fact that Bobinski actively recruited the guy and (apparently) gave the hire his blessing puts me a little at ease.

huh? "suspect resmue" ??? its actually very similar to the one Bobinski had when entering X ... AD at Mac school, etc

Fredfalcon
03-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Falcon fan here. Good luck with this guy, as many falcon fans are very glad to see him go, and hopefully take some of his hires with him. I'll try and give you some of the reasons. His turnover rate in the departmentwas unbelievable. I believe it was 15 of the 18 head coaches were fired, retired, or left for a lesser position during his six year tenure, not to mention staff. Some of his hires have been very suspect, with the primary one being men's basketball.
His overall won/loss record while AD at BG was atrocious and he was not involved in the community. Maybe in a city the size of Cincinnati, this isn't improtant, but in a town the size of Bowling Green, it is very important for the AD and his family to be involved. He cut budgets and scholarships in many of the non revenue sports, leaving them non competitive. He is known as a "fundraiser", but a lot of the groundwork on his signature projects, the Sebo and Stroh Center, had been done before he got to BG. He did get those completed. Basically, his decisions are often made to help his resume, rather that helping the institution where he is working. He almost single handily destroyed one of our signature programs, ice hockey, until the president stepped in and basically took over to save it. I'm missing a lot, but just thought you might want to know what you are getting.He does seem to have a good reputation with the NCAA with his committee work etc, but.................
Anyway best of wishhes to you and your athletic department, from a happy Falcon Fan.