PDA

View Full Version : Day Four of Tournament

Jesuit4Life
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
The West is a mess.

And are the ISU fans that organized and loud or are those Hoosiers?

Masterofreality
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Please Iowa State.

Besides the fact that I've got you going to the Final 4 in all my brackets....please eliminate Beaknose from this Tournament.

Yeah, my hatred continues. #lyingtraitor

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Makes the Shockers' path to the Final Four easier if Iowa State wins!

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Ha, Dayton rolled out the old Final Four team. All those old white guys in red sweaters should get the place going WILD!

X-band '01
03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
If the Indiana and Ohio State fans care, that is.

paulxu
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Ha, Dayton rolled out the old Final Four team. All those old white guys in red sweaters should get the place going WILD!

They were hoping there were some Fox executives in attendance.

Meanwhile, OSU is trying to lose the game.

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Didn't even contest Craft.

LA Muskie
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Didn't even contest Craft.
He was defending the drive, which is what you have to do with Craft. Someone needed to tell the defender to contest the shot as time ran down.

paulxu
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Just let him put it up. Crazy.

BandAid
03-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Eff Ohio State.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the charge/block call is kinda horse hockey? He was over the top of the charge circle, but he was on his tip toes and therefore not on the circle?

LA Muskie
03-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Eff Ohio State.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the charge/block call is kinda horse hockey? He was over the top of the charge circle, but he was on his tip toes and therefore not on the circle?
I don't know whether the electricity rule applies to the protected area or not. But either way it was a horrible call and I would be furious if I was Iowa State. There was an obvious block on the other OSU defender before the contact with Craft.

smileyy
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Most lines on the basketball court work like that, though.

Jesuit4Life
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Eff Ohio State.

Was Craft still moving into position? Looks like he might have been, which is why his right heel was up off the circle.

coasterville95
03-24-2013, 01:38 PM
But we get the Beaknose vs. (cough,cough) Dessert Racoon (cough, cough) game that so many wanted!

BMoreX
03-24-2013, 01:38 PM
BTW, OSU is lucky they didn't get a technical there. Two walk ons came on the court to celebrate with time left.

LA Muskie
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Was Craft still moving into position? Looks like he might have been, which is why his right heel was up off the circle.
He looked to have pretty solid position. The only questions for me on that call were (1) was he in the protected zone (all depends on whether the zone runs vertically or applies like any other line on the court -- and for that reason I suspect they were right on that one); and (2) was there a block on the other OSU defender before the Craft contact (seemed pretty obvious that there was to me).

Cheesehead
03-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Barkley calling out refs on the block call, not that anyone really cares what Chuck says. I thought it was a block and and craft was in the area. He doesn't have to touch the line.

X-band '01
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Buckeye fans will care. He's going to get the Mark May treatment for those comments.

I know this board will be fun for Beak v. Raccoon.

Nigel Tufnel
03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
So what happens next week? Does Craft frustrate and shut down Lyons or does Lyons take it to Craft and score on him all night? I really don't think there will be a middle ground. With Lyons it's often feast or famine. I'm currently trying to sort out exactly how I feel about this game....I am scaring the crap out of my OSU friends telling them that if Lyons is on, not even Craft will be able to slow him down.

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
That IS Iggy Pop in that Chrysler commercial, right?

DC Muskie
03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
So what happens next week? Does Craft frustrate and shut down Lyons or does Lyons take it to Craft and score on him all night? I really don't think there will be a middle ground. With Lyons it's often feast or famine. I'm currently trying to sort out exactly how I feel about this game....I am scaring the crap out of my OSU friends telling them that if Lyons is on, not even Craft will be able to slow him down.

That's going to be fun to watch for sure. But if Lyons is on, I agree, not even Craft will be able to stop him.

Masterofreality
03-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Craft slid underneath while the Iowa State guy was in the air. Should have been a block and an and one. Period.

As it is, the only advantage to this upcoming game is that one of those traitors will lose.

GuyFawkes38
03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Should be a fun, close game. I'm guessing OSU will just be 2-3 point favorites.

BMoreX
03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Khaliff Wyatt gets buckets.

Xavgrad08
03-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Wyatt has 20 of Temple's 24 points.

Nigel Tufnel
03-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Khaliff Wyatt gets buckets.

Indeed. I am rooting so hard for Temple. Cannot stand Crean.

Art Vandelay
03-24-2013, 02:48 PM
I think Zona gets blown out, Craft will have Lyons so frustrated he'll end up being a complete non-factor.....I'm thinking something like 12 points, 6 TO's...Craft is that good.

xudash
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Let's go Owls (my corrective action to post in the appropriate thread).

xudash
03-24-2013, 03:05 PM
p.s. Charles Barkley won't let it go.

GuyFawkes38
03-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't understand the outrage about the charge call. It was very close. Could have gone either way.

paulxu
03-24-2013, 03:40 PM
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/sykonist/looney-tunes/256/Beaky-Buzzard-icon.png.....VS.....http://images.clipartof.com/small/441725-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Cartoon-Raccoon-Thief.jpg[

Jesuit4Life
03-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Dayton: where No. 1 seeds go to die?

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Wyatt looked like Crawford vs. Pitt at Milwaukee on that last J.

GuyFawkes38
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
So close. But Wyatt needed a little more support.

Seems like this is typical for Temple. They always seem to have one dominant player that puts up a great fight against a top ranked opponent, but ultimately doesn't get enough support to actually beat them.

xudash
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Wyatt looked like Crawford vs. Pitt at Milwaukee on that last J.

Yep.

Good night A10 - will LaSalle wake-up and realize where it is tonight? The A10 could be finished.

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Yep.

Good night A10 - will LaSalle wake-up and realize where it is tonight? The A10 could be finished.

Lucky for LaSalle, they have an NIT level opponent awaiting them. So they've got a pretty good shot to get to L.A.

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
I guess I'm weird, because the least intriguing matchup of the day to me is UNC/Kansas. It would honestly be difficult for me to care any less about the outcome of this game. I'll just hope the winner loses in the next round.

Muskie
03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I guess I'm weird, because the least intriguing matchup of the day to me is UNC/Kansas. It would honestly be difficult for me to care any less about the outcome of this game. I'll just hope the winner loses in the next round.
The ol Roy Williams versus Kansas doesn't grab you?

I want to know why Duke is playing at 9:40 on a Sunday.

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 04:48 PM

As an alum of UNC who lives in Kansas, I've heard it all a million times. Just want it to stop.

xubball1993
03-24-2013, 04:50 PM
The Battle of the ex-X coaches. Do you think Craft and Lyons will match up? Could be an intriguing game to watch.

RoseyMuskie
03-24-2013, 05:29 PM

It is terrible scheduling and I can't stand it, but I understand why it is done. CBS wants exclusive high profile teams/games playing in the day to create value and generate more revenue, and Turner wants a package at night to generate cable viewers and value. It is how both outfits generate the most money. The thing that drives me nuts about it is that the NCAA succumbed to CBS/Turner for monetary purposes, not for the student athlete. To me it makes no sense that only one game is played throughout the afternoon, with long lulls in games. I do like how all games are broadcasted now, but don't like the scheduling result of the new deal.

X-band '01
03-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Because the NCAA is all about the student-athletes.

PM Thor
03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
My Temple pick over IU was looking GREAT all the way up to the last minute or so...dammit.

Nigel Tufnel
03-24-2013, 05:52 PM
That Temple loss stunk. Reminded me a little of the XU/Duke game with the game being so close and then the top of the key three pointer. I'm glad IU is good again and Crean is their coach...gives me a reason to want to throw the remote at the tv. Getting the anger out is a good thing. I....dislike Tom Crean. Was way more disappointed than I should have been that Temple didn't pull it off...oh well.

Speaking of things I'm disappointed with....I don't like this new Sunday tv schedule. I liked it better when there were multiple games going on in the afternoon and there was only one game at night (West coast). CBS got lucky with two good closely contested games this afternoon. If they would have been snoozers, it would have sucked with the Bay Hill being rained out. I don't want to be up until midnight tonight...didn't used to have that problem...now I do. Work is going to suck tomorrow.

I also have no interest in UNC/KU.

Lastly, lets go LASALLE!!! Make me look like a genius with Wich State/LaSalle matching up in the Sweet 16! LaSalle +4 it is!!

BMoreX
03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Kansas woke up.

Nigel Tufnel
03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Kansas woke up.

No doubt. I've got UNC +16.5 in a super teaser and I'm starting to get a little worried....

UCGRAD4X
03-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Kansas woke up.

And how!

25 point swing?

paulxu
03-24-2013, 06:35 PM
No doubt. I've got UNC +16.5 in a super teaser and I'm starting to get a little worried....

you're safe. the subs are in.

BMoreX
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
So FGCU will become the first Sweet 16 15th seed and they'll face Florida next week.

OTRMUSKIE
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM
FGCU is starting to get arrogant and I think it will show against a much better coach team in Florida. I understand FGCU hasn't been here before but watching the player on the bench doing the chicken dance x2 just kind of told me this team is about to come back down to earth. However I will still be rooting for them but Ithink it's over.

X-band '01
03-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Considering Florida was on the wrong side of a 2-15 matchup last year with Norfolk State, I don't think the Gators will be overlooking this one.

On another sidenote, if the U wins tonight, Florida as a state will be undefeated going into the Sweet 16. They all can't get into the Elite 8, though.

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Florida beat Norfolk by about 40. Norfolk beat Mizzou.

UCGRAD4X
03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
LaSalle in the S16

gladdenguy
03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
LASALLE EXPLORERS.....Sweet 16....congrats

coasterville95
03-24-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm starting to get in the camp that it would be hillarious if LaSalle becomes the new flagship.

Good going LaSalle

chico
03-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Well I'm glad we could both win - I had Kansas -6.

BlueGuy
03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
FGCU is starting to get arrogant and I think it will show against a much better coach team in Florida. I understand FGCU hasn't been here before but watching the player on the bench doing the chicken dance x2 just kind of told me this team is about to come back down to earth. However I will still be rooting for them but Ithink it's over.

You apparently didn't see the guy on the bench during the G'town game throwing up the "fisting" signal. I have a feeling this is just who these dudes are.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/barstoolu/super-page/gulf-coast/

XUFan09
03-24-2013, 11:27 PM
You apparently didn't see the guy on the bench during the G'town game throwing up the "fisting" signal. I have a feeling this is just who these dudes are.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/barstoolu/super-page/gulf-coast/

It really is just who they are. I just read an article about them where they were quoted as saying that they don't take themselves seriously and the author commented that they really have nothing to lose in these games. I don't think they're arrogant at all. It's just a goofy team that happens to be pulling off some crazy history, so now they're getting noticed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

GoMuskies
03-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Their coach managed to pull a model well before any of this. So he must have confidence to burn. I guess his team reflects his personality.

xubrew
03-25-2013, 08:27 AM
I've actually followed FGCU throughout the season. This is not just a surprise. It's a DAMN big surprise.

I know they beat Miami, but they beat Miami the first game of the year when many teams are sloppy and prone to not playing well. They also beat a short handed Miami team. They also did absolutely nothing that was impressive after that. They didn't finish in first place in the ASun. Mercer did (who also managed to win at Tennessee in the NIT). A week ago I would have told you that they were good by ASun standards, but not the best. They just happened to be the team that won the tournament.

All the people that are saying they saw this coming, and that they're not really a "mid-major" and that it's not a big surprise are completely full of shit. Beating Mercer at Mercer was somewhat of a surprise. Beating Georgetown and San Diego State handily was a bomb shell. This team walked out of the Gulf of Mexico. They DID come out of nowhere. Maybe I just missed it, but I'd love for people who say they know all about FGCU and that this isn't shocking to show me one game, just one, from this season where they looked anywhere close to as good as they've looked in the last two games.

This is the biggest surprise in the history of the tournament. Anyone who said they expected it, I simply do not believe.

GoMuskies
03-25-2013, 08:32 AM
I don't think they should have been a #15 seed. In my mind, if you've beaten a #2 during the regular season, it's not fair to another #2 to have to face you in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. 15 vs. 2 is supposed to be a glorified walkover.

I'm sure it will all come crashing down against UF, but these guys have athleticism to burn if nothing else. They're fun as hell to watch.

coasterville95
03-25-2013, 08:40 AM
It may all come crashing down, but I betcha they will give it their all times ten. A chance to take down arguably the biggest program in your state, on national TV, for a chance at the Elite Eight.

I'd never heard of the school before, sounds like the type of school you would normally book in for a pastry cart guarantee game. Perhaps Florida has done that in the past. But, at least in the state of Florida this has got to be David and Goliath.

And again, THIS is what makes the NCAA Tourney so great, any school can get hot in March and win it all. (Or at least make a deep run). I can only imagine the excitement their fans are going through right about now.

And elsewhere Go-Muskies Shockers are shocking their own way through the tournament - they get LaSalle next.

xubrew
03-25-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't think they should have been a #15 seed. In my mind, if you've beaten a #2 during the regular season, it's not fair to another #2 to have to face you in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. 15 vs. 2 is supposed to be a glorified walkover.

I'm sure it will all come crashing down against UF, but these guys have athleticism to burn if nothing else. They're fun as hell to watch.

The problem is who do you swap them with??

I REALLY thought Davidson was going to make the Sweet Sixteen. I thought they had the right match ups, and when the seemed to have it locked up againset Marquette despite the fact that they were a good shooting team that went ice cold, I thought they'd beat Butler. Had they not blown it at the end of the Marquette, game, we'd be talking about them.

Valpo clearly looked better, and although Harvard didn't, Harvard still won a game.

This is a team that had a lot of really bad losses. They lost twice to Lipscomb, who is awful even by ASun Standards. NKU finished two games ahead of Lipscomb in the ASun Standings.

They lost to Maine, who had a losing record in the America East.

They lost to East Tennessee State, who managed just ten wins all season.

The teams on the #14 line did not have losses as atrocious as that, much less as many as that. Yes, they did beat Miami, but I think people are forgetting how shorthanded that Miami team was. Had it not been for that they would have been a #16 seed. They followed that up by barely beating Alcorn State, who is one of the worst teams in the history of Earth.

I'm not going to sit here and argue that they're not a good team after what they've done. I'm just saying that it was ENTIRELY unexpected. The current media status quo is "People just haven't followed this team and don't realize how good they are." They say this as if they've actually known about them all along and aren't all that surrpised by this.

Uhhh...Anyone who actually did follow this team would tell you they weren't anywhere close to looking this good at any point.

danaandvictory
03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Their coach managed to pull a model well before any of this. So he must have confidence to burn. I guess his team reflects his personality.

Prior to coaching, the dude co-founded a software company worth in excess of $100M. I'm guessing it wasn't a tough sell.

ammtd34
03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Prior to coaching, the dude co-founded a software company worth in excess of $100M. I'm guessing it wasn't a tough sell.

Exactly. He's coaching for the hell of it. There's no pressure on him and it shows. I can't remember the last time a team looked like they were having that much fun playing basketball.

BlueGuy
03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
I've actually followed FGCU throughout the season. This is not just a surprise. It's a DAMN big surprise.

I know they beat Miami, but they beat Miami the first game of the year when many teams are sloppy and prone to not playing well. They also beat a short handed Miami team. They also did absolutely nothing that was impressive after that. They didn't finish in first place in the ASun. Mercer did (who also managed to win at Tennessee in the NIT). A week ago I would have told you that they were good by ASun standards, but not the best. They just happened to be the team that won the tournament.

All the people that are saying they saw this coming, and that they're not really a "mid-major" and that it's not a big surprise are completely full of shit. Beating Mercer at Mercer was somewhat of a surprise. Beating Georgetown and San Diego State handily was a bomb shell. This team walked out of the Gulf of Mexico. They DID come out of nowhere. Maybe I just missed it, but I'd love for people who say they know all about FGCU and that this isn't shocking to show me one game, just one, from this season where they looked anywhere close to as good as they've looked in the last two games.

This is the biggest surprise in the history of the tournament. Anyone who said they expected it, I simply do not believe.

Last Sunday morning (selection Sunday morning), I listened to ESPN Radio on my way to work. Seth Greenburg said "keep an eye on FGCU. They will probably be a 16 seed, but if they are a 15 or lower, I'm picking them to beat anyone they play in the first round. The style they play will be a shock to whom ever they play." He went on to say the only reason he wouldn't pick them against a 1 seed is because it has never happened before...

Masterofreality
03-25-2013, 09:47 AM

#retweet

XUglow
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM

We paused in our Monday morning meeting to watch the alley oop play against G'town. It was a brilliant and stupid play all at the same time, but fun to watch anyway that you slice it. Who does that with 30 seconds to go on the shot clock in a game where your lead is evaporating?

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
We paused in our Monday morning meeting to watch the alley oop play against G'town. It was a brilliant and stupid play all at the same time, but fun to watch anyway that you slice it. Who does that with 30 seconds to go on the shot clock in a game where your lead is evaporating?

I was in a bar and there were other older Georgetown fans watching, and when that happened, everyone began to close out their tabs and head home.

That was a sick dunk.

XUglow
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I was in a bar and there were other older Georgetown fans watching, and when that happened, everyone began to close out their tabs and head home.

That was a sick dunk.

The toss was ridiculous. It was so close to a disaster that it was phenomenal. Next to the gif where Marshall Henderson is taunting the Auburn fans, it is my 2nd favorite item from this basketball season.

DC Muskie
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
The toss was ridiculous. It was so close to a disaster that it was phenomenal. Next to the gif where Marshall Henderson is taunting the Auburn fans, it is my 2nd favorite item from this basketball season.

He caught the ball off his back shoulder blade and in one motion jammed it home. I have never seen anything like that...especially from a white person.

The bar went pretty much silent, (It was a small Irish pub) and then people started asking for their checks. It was pretty funny, even though I was pulling for the Hoyas.

Masterofreality
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
The Ultimate We Don't Give a F$&k moment.