PDA

View Full Version : DePaul

xudash
03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
I don't know what to think of this - at least they're trying to get to some kind of viable solution:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-19/business/chi-depaul-mcpier-stadium-talks-20130318_1_depaul-basketball-mccormick-place-blue-demons

ammtd34
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Turning down the United Center seems strange.

smileyy
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I figured they were turning it down to try to get something closer to their campus -- the United Center isn't all that close to campus (nor all that far, via El), but the proposed area near McCormick Place isn't near campus either (but again, not that far) -- and both are much closer and more accessible than the Rosemont Horizon.

My guess is that they would get third tier scheduling behind both the Bulls and the Blackhawks? They might also want to own/finance their own arena, as some other schools have done, in order to create a long-term asset under their control.

Muskie
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I figured they were turning it down to try to get something closer to their campus -- the United Center isn't all that close to campus (nor all that far, via El), but the proposed area near McCormick Place isn't near campus either (but again, not that far) -- and both are much closer and more accessible than the Rosemont Horizon.

My guess is that they would get third tier scheduling behind both the Bulls and the Blackhawks? They might also want to own/finance their own arena, as some other schools have done, in order to create a long-term asset under their control.

While free, I'm guessing DePaul doesn't make money in that arrangement? They want some place where they make revenue on nights they aren't playing basketball I assume (concerts, conventions)?

ammtd34
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Right. It's closer - not to mention more recognizable to recruits - than Rosemont. How are they supposed to get anyone to go there if their recruits have to be driven half an hour to see facilities on their visit? At least a kid could be excited about seeing the United Center. And they'd simply drive through Chicago, not someplace a half hour away.

Masterofreality
03-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Good luck getting a publically funded arena primarily for a private institution in a cash strapped city like Chicago now. Ain't happening.

DePaul is in deep trouble in this deal. They have no land available around Lincoln Park and no outside entity will pay for a building. UCenter is their best option..even if scheduling is problematic. It wouldn't be the first time that an arena had to be changed from basketball to hockey in one day. BBall afternoon at noon. Hockey at 7 pm. can be done.

Pluto
03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
The option of doing a public/private arena near McCormick Place isn't the worst idea. The problem with the United Center is yes they would be third in line and the circus/Disney on I've road trips they would have to go on.

McCormick can work since the city wants an arena down there for convention traffic. The godfather offer from the United Center is because they don't want more competition for concerts and other traveling shows.

DC Muskie
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Georgetown is able to do it at the Verizon Center. Even if this was a short term deal it would still be better than what they currently have.

By the way, this is the first time I think I have ever cared about DePaul regarding anything.

Masterofreality
03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Georgetown is able to do it at the Verizon Center. Even if this was a short term deal it would still be better than what they currently have.

By the way, this is the first time I think I have ever cared about DePaul regarding anything.

Exactly. Beat me to the keys. BTW Villanova and St. Johns have the same issue. Hockey and NBA in the same building...although Nova has the pavilion for lesser games...like LaSuck.

XU '11
03-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Exactly. Beat me to the keys. BTW Villanova and St. Johns have the same issue. Hockey and NBA in the same building...although Nova has the pavilion for lesser games...like LaSuck.

While the Pavilion is small, La Salle and Tom Gola is an awful comparison. While it only seats 6,500, Nova always always sells the Pavilion out and it provides for a great, intimate atmosphere. I'll take that over a 2/3 full NBA arena every day of the week.

LadyMuskie
03-20-2013, 10:05 PM
While the Pavilion is small, La Salle and Tom Gola is an awful comparison. While it only seats 6,500, Nova always always sells the Pavilion out and it provides for a great, intimate atmosphere. I'll take that over a 2/3 full NBA arena every day of the week.

I don't think MOR was comparing. I think his point was that Nova plays their crappy games, like those again LaSalle, at the Pavilion, and saves the big games for the real arena.

Masterofreality
03-20-2013, 10:46 PM

No. Didn't mean that LaSalle had an alternative decent gym. Meant that they were one of the lesser games that 'Nova would play at the Pavillion.