PDA

View Full Version : Dan Beebe (former Big 12 commish) to lead Big East?

BMoreX
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5911#more-5911

According to sources familiar with the process, the Catholic 7 group has made the first move in that direction by hiring former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe to help facilitate that process. Although Beebe, who now runs a crisis management/consulting firm based in Dallas, is not regarded as a candidate for a permanent position as a commissioner, he is expected to set up the frame work for the new Big East when it does open its doors for business, most likely in New York City.

Sounds like he will "start" the conference, but may not be the long-term commissioner. Interesting choice, because I seem to recall he wasn't too popular among Big 12 fans.

(As an aside -and I know that it's been discussed in other threads- but it is so annoying hearing "new Big East" and "old Big East." How can Blaudschen honestly call the old Big East that moniker considering only 3 schools (UC/UConn/USF) are there? Just stupid.)

LA Muskie
03-18-2013, 06:27 PM

Sounds like he will "start" the conference, but may not be the long-term commissioner. Interesting choice, because I seem to recall he wasn't too popular among Big 12 fans.

(As an aside -and I know that it's been discussed in other threads- but it is so annoying hearing "new Big East" and "old Big East." How can Blaudschen honestly call the old Big East that moniker considering only 3 schools (UC/UConn/USF) are there? Just stupid.)
I have no problem with "new Big East" and I think we need to stop being so over-sensitive about it. "New" is just an adjective that conveys the notion that significant change is underfoot. Sort of like when a new President takes office -- or even when his administration turns over -- it is often referred to as the "new Administration." On the other hand, I agree that referring to it as the "New Big East" (as a formal noun) is annoying, as it seems to intentionally detract from the "Big East."

STL_XUfan
03-18-2013, 06:36 PM

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"- The Mizzou fan side of me.

GoMuskies
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I think old Big East and new Big East are technically right. The "old" Big East is the legal entity that will become the A-12. The "new" Big East is a newly formed entity that acquired the right to use the name Big East from the new A-12.

DC Muskie
03-18-2013, 06:58 PM
I have a major problem with the reference to new when describing the Big East.

The Big East paid a lot of money for the brand, and that brand shouldn't be downgraded with the word "new." We see this already with the eulogies to the Big East tournament. "New" infers downgraded, and it's something that should not be associated with this conference.

The Big East was formed as a basketball conference and it is once again a basketball conference. It's not "new" it's righted the wrong that plagued it for many years.

By the way the analogy that somehow this is like a new presidential administration is sort of silly. Administrations are things that are fluid, changing every four years due to elections. How that can be compared to athletic conferences is something I don't understand.

UCGRAD4X
03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Departing teams will be in a whole different league with a completely different name so people will no longer need to differentiate.

'New' will naturally disappear and just become Big East.

chico
03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
In the near future when Xavier is going to the Final 4 they will say we are out of the Big East. That's all that matters.

Masterofreality
03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
In the near future when Xavier is going to the Final 4 they will say we are out of the Big East. That's all that matters.

Yes.

Can't believe it's been a year since Vegas and the Irish takedown, Chico.

LA Muskie
03-18-2013, 10:00 PM

The Big East paid a lot of money for the brand, and that brand shouldn't be downgraded with the word "new." We see this already with the eulogies to the Big East tournament. "New" infers downgraded, and it's something that should not be associated with this conference.

The Big East was formed as a basketball conference and it is once again a basketball conference. It's not "new" it's righted the wrong that plagued it for many years.

By the way the analogy that somehow this is like a new presidential administration is sort of silly. Administrations are things that are fluid, changing every four years due to elections. How that can be compared to athletic conferences is something I don't understand.
I don't think "new" has to have a negative connotation. For my part, it has a very positive one. And I don't think I'm alone.

PMI
03-19-2013, 01:21 AM

I don't really see it that way. The Big East will be new. It lost a lot of good programs and it is gaining three good programs. It will definitely be different and new. It will feel like a new era for every program involved, whether it's a program leaving, staying, or coming in. I don't really see the negative inferences.

DC Muskie
03-19-2013, 05:24 AM
I don't think "new" has to have a negative connotation. For my part, it has a very positive one. And I don't think I'm alone.

Have you been reading the coverage from SI and ESPN?

If you don't take a negative connotation from the word "new" from these two media outlets, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Masterofreality
03-19-2013, 07:15 AM
It's "revised" ...not "new"

paulxu
03-19-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm going to have to ignore all this stuff. When we took Butler and VCU, it wasn't a new, old, revised, or whatever A10. It was just the A10.
When Temple and Charlotte announced they were leaving, it was just the A10.

So, I'm opting for just the Big East. It's a conference we are joining (I hope).

SM#24
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
I prefer "New and Improved"

I think the term "new" will die down before we ever play a game. Once the the remnants get a name and Syr/Pitt/ND move on, we'll be in the plain, old Big East.

DC Muskie
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
I prefer "New and Improved"

That's the second most annoying phrase next to "First Annual."

LA Muskie
03-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Have you been reading the coverage from SI and ESPN?

If you don't take a negative connotation from the word "new" from these two media outlets, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I have not. I don't care what they have to say. Every real sports fan sees both sides of this. And there are two sides for many (me included).

I put all this "new" stuff into the "looking for something to be offended by" category.

DC Muskie
03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I have not. I don't care what they have to say. Every real sports fan sees both sides of this. And there are two sides for many (me included).

I put all this "new" stuff into the "looking for something to be offended by" category.

Well if you haven't read anything, nor care, then why are you telling people to quit being "overly sensitive?"

LA Muskie
03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Well if you haven't read anything, nor care, then why are you telling people to quit being "overly sensitive?"

I didn't say I haven't read "anything". I said I haven't read "everything".

And I care because this board is devolving into a mass of sniveling malcontents. We're joining the freaking Big East, yet the majority of the posts complain about the mere fact that Dayton is mentioned as a possibility of joining, complain that some writers and talking heads we all think suck anyway refer to our soon-to-be Big East as "new", complain that Dez Wells plays for Maryland now, complain that the university may be broke, and complain that Fr. Graham is still our President. It's freaking exhausting.

paulxu
03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Possible record effort going on here. Only 1 out of 17 thread responses references thread title.

muskiefan82
03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I thought Beebe's were something you shot cans with.

GoMuskies
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
And I care because this board is devolving into a mass of sniveling malcontents. We're joining the freaking Big East, yet the majority of the posts complain about the mere fact that Dayton is mentioned as a possibility of joining, complain that some writers and talking heads we all think suck anyway refer to our soon-to-be Big East as "new", complain that Dez Wells plays for Maryland now, complain that the university may be broke, and complain that Fr. Graham is still our President. It's freaking exhausting.

This is sure to solve your issues.

DC Muskie
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I didn't say I haven't read "anything". I said I haven't read "everything".

Actually I simply asked you if you have been reading the coverage, and you responded that you hadn't. I took that to mean that you haven't read anything. My bad.

As the for rest of your post, like Go said good luck with that.

Poor Paul is getting upset that we are not talking about Dan Beebe.

Dan Beebe is fine by me if anyone cares.

PMI
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
It's a message board. People will bitch and moan about things. And then others will bitch and moan about them bitching and moaning. And yet you'll all still be back tomorrow.

DC Muskie
03-19-2013, 11:42 AM
It's a message board. People will bitch and moan about things. And then others will bitch and moan about them bitching and moaning. And yet you'll all still be back tomorrow.

Why tomorrow? What's wrong with today? I'm sick of people always talking about tomorrow. Stay on topic. The topic is today.

Jeez, I am the smartest person here.

LA Muskie
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Actually I simply asked you if you have been reading the coverage, and you responded that you hadn't. I took that to mean that you haven't read anything. My bad.

As the for rest of your post, like Go said good luck with that.

Poor Paul is getting upset that we are not talking about Dan Beebe.

Dan Beebe is fine by me if anyone cares.
DC, my post only related directly to you on the first point (about reading the articles). The rest was more general -- sorry if it implied otherwise. Just trying to bring a little "glass is half full" mentality to these parts. I realize I'm fighting an uphill battle with some (and I'm not lumping you into that group).

Masterofreality
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Back on track.

Not buying Beebe. Still think Dan Gavitt has a shot as Commish or, at least Deputy Commish.

LA Muskie
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
And for the record -- I don't know Dan Beebe. I don't know much about him other than that he got ousted by the Big XII. But at the time, that conference was a mess so they probably did him a favor. And regardless, someone had to be the scapegoat. Seems to me that he probably knows a lot about negotiating TV deals and whatnot. And he probably has some ideas about who might be a good permanent pick. Hell, I just want to get it on. So if him taking the reins temporarily speeds up the process, I'm all for it. ALL FOR IT!

LA Muskie
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Back on track.

Not buying Beebe. Still think Dan Gavitt has a shot as Commish or, at least Deputy Commish.

Hard to see him not being in the discussion.

JTG
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Hard to see him not being in the discussion.

Dan Gavitt is in charge of the NCAA Tournament, so any announcement about him is probably a month away. Don't know what the bucks would be for commish of BE, but he probably has a pretty fat check running the NCAA Tourney.

LA Muskie
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Dan Gavitt is in charge of the NCAA Tournament, so any announcement about him is probably a month away. Don't know what the bucks would be for commish of BE, but he probably has a pretty fat check running the NCAA Tourney.

Which may explain the hiring of a "temp" commish to get started.