Steve A
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
What the heck just happened?

BBC 08
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm dead inside.

mistabeecee41
03-17-2013, 08:17 PM
i still don't know why everybody thought we were practically an NIT lock.

We went 17-13 with a complete shit RPI.

D-West & PO-Z
03-17-2013, 08:19 PM
i still don't know why everybody thought we were practically an NIT lock.

We went 17-13 with a complete shit RPI.

We went 5-4 against NCAA tourney teams. I thought we would be in.

X Factor
03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
If this isn't motivation for EVERY guy returning and the new guys coming in to work their butts off this summer, I don't know what is.

Next year it's time to get come back with a vengeance.

Looking forward to Stain, Philmore, Reynolds, and a hopefully improved Farr in the front court. Lots of potential up front.

With Semaj, Dee, Randolph, and Myles in the back court, Xavier could be really, really good.

Get to work boys!!

Cheesehead
03-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Wow. Honestly, maybe it's for the best. XU doesn't play to make the NIT. Now, we can put this crappy season behind us.

LadyMuskie
03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
What the heck just happened?

A crappy season came to a crappy end.

At the risk of sounding like a dayton fan - I'm ready for next year.

Jumpy
03-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Are you guys forgetting the CBI, or just wishing they will turn down the invitation?

LadyMuskie
03-17-2013, 09:21 PM
They already turned it down.

Jumpy
03-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Why the hell would they do that? Were they scheduled as a visiting team and didn't want to spend the dough?

Man, this reeks of a spoiled kid taking his ball and running home when he doesn't win. Man up and play in the crappy tournament that actually invited you.

coasterville95
03-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Richmond accepted an invite - they get Bryant on the road for the first game.

Texas, Purdue and George Mason acccepted invites - even Wright State is in they host Tulsa.

That's 8, count em 8 A10 teams in post season so far, and no Muskies.,

LadyMuskie
03-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't know why they declined. Someone in another thread thought maybe it was a big risk to take over someone getting hurt for next season while in the CBI. Mostly though, I think sometimes the best thing to do is admit when things are over. And this season is over. It's time to get ready for next season.

Cheesehead
03-17-2013, 10:12 PM
I have no problem with X declining bids to the CBI of college insider.com

Retire33
03-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Why the hell would they do that? Were they scheduled as a visiting team and didn't want to spend the dough?

Man, this reeks of a spoiled kid taking his ball and running home when he doesn't win. Man up and play in the crappy tournament that actually invited you.

This. Totally This

GuyFawkes38
03-17-2013, 10:51 PM
UD appears to have also preemptively declined a potential CBI bid.

I don't care. But I'm curious. Is it customary to accept a CBI bid? What's the rate of accept/decline? What's the negatives of accepting?

Ha. This is new territory for all of us. We are truly spoiled.

Emp
03-17-2013, 11:05 PM
I have no problem with X declining bids to the CBI of college insider.com

I gotta say I am stunned we're not in the NIT, but CBI time is like the DLeague, no, the F-League. Fuck it.

Our team is worn out and needs a fresh start next season.

I was thinking the A10 got some really nice seeds in the Big Dance, and was thinking maybe Bobo was in there sticking up for the league as an exit gift. But come on, St Joe, St Johns, Freakin Charlotte, Washington get in before us? He apparently didn't have our back.

xubrew
03-17-2013, 11:28 PM

It's a pay for play tournament. You pay them money to let you in.

Maybe we just don't think it's worth giving tens of thousands of dollars to an organization like the Gazelle Group. I applaud the decision. I don't think it's spoiled. I think it's not wanting to be extorted.

Jesuit4Life
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
I was thinking the A10 got some really nice seeds in the Big Dance, and was thinking maybe Bobo was in there sticking up for the league as an exit gift. But come on, St Joe, St Johns, Freakin Charlotte, Washington get in before us? He apparently didn't have our back.

It would not have made any difference if Bobo didn't have his obligations as chair of the NCAA selection committee in regards to whether we got into the NIT. The NIT has a separate committee, and just like with the Big Dance they don't make selections based on lobbying. They don't consult ESPN anymore either.
http://www.ncaa.com/championships/basketball-men/nit#!postseason_nit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament#Selection_process

Like Mack said, our resume was simply not good enough to get an invite.

xubball1993
03-18-2013, 05:14 AM
Just read the news. What a bummer. I think our guys, especially Brad and Trav, played their tails off down the stretch. Semaj has some maturing to do; if develops a nice jumper and learns to dish a little more on his drives, look out. I hope Dee can improve his game as well this summer.

As it is, I don't like baseball much so need this damn weather to break so I can be outside. I think I'm too bummed to watch anymore hoops this year. I may cancel my cable today.

kyxu
03-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Andy Katz briefly addresses it here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/80180/3-point-shot-xaviers-nit-snub

The last two sentences in his Xavier blurb kinda cushion the blow.

I really hope the "lean times" at Xavier don't extend beyond this season. I know we're spoiled as Xavier fans, but one bad season out of 10 is too many. Can't take many more seasons like that of 2012-13.

XU 87
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Besides the fact that Bobinski wasn't involved in the NIT selection process, we lost to Charlotte, who also had 21 wins to our 17, and they had an RPI 20 points higher. We also lost to St. Joe twice.

Washington and X were a coin flip. X should have gotten in over St. Johns.

But from reading the above article, it sounds like we weren't even on the bubble.

Masterofreality
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Same thing I said on another thread:

The fact that Xavier was snubbed for Providence, a team with a lower RPI rating, a below .500 conference record, the same overall record, a 10th place Big East finish, a first round loss in their league tournament and fewer quality wins tells you why Xavier HAS to get out of the A10.

There is no rationality for Providence to be in the NIT. Period. They even got a home game. Chris Mooney's meltdown probably put Charlotte in.

No matter how good the league is in reality, it will always be dismissed by the entities that seem to control the game.

DC Muskie
03-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Why on earth would you pay a tournament for the chance to play?

I'm ready for next season in the Big East.

GuyFawkes38
03-18-2013, 09:02 AM

The fact that Xavier was snubbed for Providence, a team with a lower RPI rating, a below .500 conference record, the same overall record, a 10th place Big East finish, a first round loss in their league tournament and fewer quality wins tells you why Xavier HAS to get out of the A10.

There is no rationality for Providence to be in the NIT. Period. They even got a home game. Chris Mooney's meltdown probably put Charlotte in.

No matter how good the league is in reality, it will always be dismissed by the entities that seem to control the game.

I can't stand the NCAA. But one thing that we should all give it credit for is not letting the BCS conferences influence the selection process. If anything, I feel like X has been given over generous seedings the past 15 years. Ha, our AD is the chair of the committee!

Masterofreality
03-18-2013, 09:10 AM
I can't stand the NCAA. But one thing that we should all give it credit for is not letting the BCS conferences influence the selection process. If anything, I feel like X has been given over generous seedings the past 15 years. Ha, our AD is the chair of the committee!

Not of the NIT Selection Committee. That would be CM Newton....a big conference guy.

And, edit. St. Johns actually had a worse resume than Providence!

American X
03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
maybe it was a big risk to take over someone getting hurt for next season while in the CBI

I am fine with that reasoning alone.

- Ghost of Darnell Williams' ACL

drudy23
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM

It's not worth getting mad over...time to move on.

Heading to the Big East and gearing up for yet another step forward for this program. I say good riddance to the past year.

muskiefan82
03-18-2013, 10:56 AM

Heading to the Big East and gearing up for yet another step forward for this program. I say good riddance to the past year.

Let's see.....Xavier had a down year, YET...

The UDump losing streak continues;
The non-losing conference record streak continues;
Still managed a winning record overall;
Beat a few ranked teams;
and are joining the Big East next year.

All in all, I think I can go on. Perhaps this year is the penance required for the run to the trophy next year.

nuts4xu
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
It would have been nice for the team to make the NIT, but I am actually glad they put a bullet in the head of this brutal season.

I am proud of the way Chris Mack coached this team to 17 wins, and for the effort given by all of the guys on the team. Seniors like Travis Taylor and Brad Redford fought their asses off this season, and I commend the whole team for persevering through some difficult circumstances.

Time to turn the page....

Masterofreality
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Let's see.....Xavier had a down year, YET...

The UDump losing streak continues;
The non-losing conference record streak continues;
Still managed a winning record overall;
Beat a few ranked teams;
and are joining the Big East next year.

All in all, I think I can go on. Perhaps this year is the penance required for the run to the trophy next year.

It would have been nice for the team to make the NIT, but I am actually glad they put a bullet in the head of this brutal season.

I am proud of the way Chris Mack coached this team to 17 wins, and for the effort given by all of the guys on the team. Seniors like Travis Taylor and Brad Redford fought their asses off this season, and I commend the whole team for persevering through some difficult circumstances.

Time to turn the page....

Agree on all counts.

Jumpy
03-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Maybe we just don't think it's worth giving tens of thousands of dollars to an organization like the Gazelle Group. I applaud the decision. I don't think it's spoiled. I think it's not wanting to be extorted.

Ok. That doesn't sound so bad, then. If it is a proactive call to end the season, i.e.: we will not pay to join a tournament simply for the sake of playing in a tournament, then I am cool with the decision to hang me up. I didn't realize it was pay-to-play.

smileyy
03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I really hope the "lean times" at Xavier don't extend beyond this season. I know we're spoiled as Xavier fans, but one bad season out of 10 is too many. Can't take many more seasons like that of 2012-13.

I was a little worried about this, but a few things leave me positive:

1. Think about all the talent that's been recruited and signed, but wasn't on the floor for Xavier this year: Lyons, Wells, Bhullar. Wells and Christon show that X is recruiting better talent than ever before. I can write this off as an unfortunate series of events.

2. With as little talent on the team as there was, they still played tough team defense. One of the constants of Xavier basketball hasn't gone away. As soon as the talent level goes back up a little, the team will be as competitive as we've come to expect again.

Masterofreality
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Well, now. Sounds just like something udump would do. But even they didn't pay to do that.

LA Muskie
03-18-2013, 05:21 PM

Well, except the A-10 and MWC got 5 teams a piece into the NCAA Tourney, a record for both conferences (and a total of 8 of 37 -- nearly 22% -- of at-large bids).

LA Muskie
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Well, now. Sounds just like something udump would do. But even they didn't pay to do that.
Although Texas, Purdue, and Richmond did (along with George Mason, Wright State, and College of Charleston, among others).

LadyMuskie
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I am fine with that reasoning alone.

- Ghost of Darnell Williams' ACL

No kidding. That was one of, if not the, most devastating injury I've witnessed.

LA Muskie
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
No kidding. That was one of, if not the, most devastating injury I've witnessed.
It's been about 15 years now, and I'm still bummed as hell about that injury. Darnell may well have gone down as the most exciting player ever to don a Xavier uniform. And he was such a great, positive guy. I wonder how he's doing -- does anyone know?

GIMMFD
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
We will be fine next year, we didn't even have Reynolds and Davis on the court and definitely went above my expectations (realistically) on the season. Sure we got snubbed by the NIT, but we played tough defense, and made a few games hell for some opponents (VCU, Butler, etc). We have a decent team, and with the recruits starting to pile up, we are going to be damn good soon. Hell, this move to the Big East won't hurt either. Don't worry, I think this is definitely a one in ten year phenomena.