PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Jordan Crawford

XUOHTX
03-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Did anyone else immediately think Semaj looked a little like JC on those first two 3-Pointers? Just imagine if he is able to consistently hit that shot. I'm looking forward to watching him for a long time.

rove02
03-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Did anyone else immediately think Semaj looked a little like JC on those first two 3-Pointers? Just imagine if he is able to consistently hit that shot. I'm looking forward to watching him for a long time.

If he starts shooting better you won't be watching him for a long time.

xu 89
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I was having more flashbacks to Crawford when Semaj kept driving to the hoop. He was taking the game over like the daddy used to.

Caveat
03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
If he starts shooting better you won't be watching him for a long time.

Pretty much. With his quick first step and ability to create near the rim, he'd be outright un-gaurdable (and a lock to go pro) if he could hit a 3 point shot with any regularity.

GoMuskies
03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
No. Jordan would have taken 8 more bad threes after hitting those first two. Granted, at least 2 or 3 probably would have gone in.

boozehound
03-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Those were some nice looking shots. Most of his 3's prior to those had been very slow and deliberate with no real rhythm. He just shot those without overthinking it and they both went in. The kid has the ability to make his 3's, and FT's, he just needs to get the mental aspect under control.

PMI
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Those were some nice looking shots. Most of his 3's prior to those had been very slow and deliberate with no real rhythm. He just shot those without overthinking it and they both went in. The kid has the ability to make his 3's, and FT's, he just needs to get the mental aspect under control.

He is a much better shooter in rhythm than he is a set shooter. He is like Crawford in that regard, but not as good a shooter yet. However, his ceiling is certainly higher than Crawford's as an overall player both at this level and the next. He seems to have a much better attitude too.

I will say, I think Mack did an outstanding job as a first year head coach with Jordan by the second half of that season. Crawford was out of control at times in the first half even though it led to pretty good results, all things considered. By the second half, though, Jordan was shooting the ball at very high percentages for a volume shooter and making much better decisions. That's not to say he didn't still take some ill-advised ones, but you can 100% live with them when his numbers were what they were. He also became a better defender. He had never heard of the concept of cutting off the baseline until Mack hammered that into him, and by February, he was doing it extremely effectively. Having watched Crawford before then, and since, I think that was the most he's ever bought into coaching.

XUOHTX
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I was having more flashbacks to Crawford when Semaj kept driving to the hoop. He was taking the game over like the daddy used to.

I have never seen anyone that could finish better than Crawford.

smileyy
03-07-2013, 02:13 PM

I never saw Crawford as a freshman, but I bet Christon will challenge that statement in his second year of play.

PMI
03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Crawford is one of the more gifted finishers in the NBA in my opinion. He is really freakishly good at finishing shots that you'd think a person would have no way of doing. But Semaj is absolutely phenomenal from everywhere from midrange on in and is only going to get better.

smileyy
03-07-2013, 04:06 PM
If Semaj can get the first step on his defender, hit that seam, and get the ball directly to the glass, it seems like the ball is going in every time. That was something that Holloway was very good at, but Lyons struggled with his first couple years at Xavier. To be able to do that already is a great asset to have.

It seems like a lot of Semaj's misses come when he can't get that seam all the way to the glass and has to try a layup from about 5 feet away. More offensive options will only help him in that department, rather than often having to drive into 3 defenders in the lane.

Becoming a credible 3-point threat will only help Semaj get that first step more often. I can imagine a lot of plays next year that have Semaj catching a pass on the wing, pump-faking a 3 and getting to the rim.

I hope for a summer of 10,000 FTs and 10,000 3-pointers from him.

xu 89
03-07-2013, 04:10 PM

dez could....but that's what got him kicked out!!

kyxu
03-07-2013, 04:43 PM
If Semaj can get the first step on his defender, hit that seam, and get the ball directly to the glass, it seems like the ball is going in every time. That was something that Holloway was very good at, but Lyons struggled with his first couple years at Xavier. To be able to do that already is a great asset to have.

It seems like a lot of Semaj's misses come when he can't get that seam all the way to the glass and has to try a layup from about 5 feet away. More offensive options will only help him in that department, rather than often having to drive into 3 defenders in the lane.

Becoming a credible 3-point threat will only help Semaj get that first step more often. I can imagine a lot of plays next year that have Semaj catching a pass on the wing, pump-faking a 3 and getting to the rim.

I hope for a summer of 10,000 FTs and 10,000 3-pointers from him.

I really like Semaj, and I am glad he is at Xavier, but you can add a "left hand" to the things he needs to work on this summer.

Anytime he takes it to the rim in traffic and the left side is open to him, he either double-clutches and switches to his right hand, or keeps it left and misses. It's gotten him into trouble a couple times with charges. If he uses his left, he can avoid contact with the defender and lay it in, rather than going through the defender with his right side.

But other than that, he's the greatest ever.

Fireball
03-08-2013, 07:14 AM
If Semaj would stay 4 years, there's not a doubt in my mind that Bryon's scoring record would go down.

But Byron has nothing to worry about, because Semaj will not be sticking around for 4 years :)

smileyy
03-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I really like Semaj, and I am glad he is at Xavier, but you can add a "left hand" to the things he needs to work on this summer.

Anytime he takes it to the rim in traffic and the left side is open to him, he either double-clutches and switches to his right hand, or keeps it left and misses. It's gotten him into trouble a couple times with charges. If he uses his left, he can avoid contact with the defender and lay it in, rather than going through the defender with his right side.

But other than that, he's the greatest ever.

Great observation. That's the side of the floor where I've seen him struggle to get the ball to the glass. Makes total sense.

Xavier
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Not at Xavier, for sure. It got to the point where I was pretty comfortable knowing he would score if he was on a 1 on 2 break. After he got back to game speed, he was amazing. One of the most talented players to put on the Xavier uniform.

ballyhoohoo
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Did he buy you dinner first?

XUOHTX
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Did he buy you dinner first?

I think there is a violation of NCAA rules in there somewhere.

paulxu
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Not if you're Swampy Meadows.

mistabeecee41
03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Definitely similarities there - but JC was SO SMOOTH. Everything he did looked effortless. I wish I could find the video of that ridiculous layup he had against the Gophers in the tourney a few years back.

xutag77
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
As we used to say with Byron. Larkin on a 1-3 break. They need to bring more guys.

Even if Samaj stays four years at X. I do not see the Xavier playing at the same pace they did during the Larkin/Kimbrough/Walker years.

drudy23
03-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Did anyone else immediately think Semaj looked a little like JC on those first two 3-Pointers?.

No.

PMI
03-08-2013, 01:45 PM
As we used to say with Byron. Larkin on a 1-3 break. They need to bring more guys.

Even if Samaj stays four years at X. I do not see the Xavier playing at the same pace they did during the Larkin/Kimbrough/Walker years.

Maybe not, but they will most likely play more games. Semaj I believe is under 70 points away from breaking Larkin's freshman scoring record. If we make a run in Brooklyn that is certainly attainable. In theory, if he were to stay four years (spoiler: he is not) I think he would be able to make a legitimate run at it. Imagine, he's pushing Larkin's freshman record before he's even developed an outside shot. I think Wednesday was the first time he made two threes in a game and probably one of a handful of games he even attempted two. Everyone knows how he's looking to score and nobody can stop it. The kid's potential has to make any Xavier fan giddy as a schoolgirl.

smileyy
03-08-2013, 02:40 PM

Yeah, pace is a big factor...though Semaj is on pace to take about as many shots as Byron Larkin did his freshman year. Byron was 187/352 from the field (XU website). Semaj is currently 153/339 (ESPN). I don't know relative shot %s though -- but given that Xavier plays the 280th fastest tempo (KenPom), I'd guess Semaj is taking more of the team's shots (which is a contributor to a lower FG%).

Edit: What PMI said first -- its a lot closer than I thought it would be.

MHettel
03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Byron had 2696 points.

Semaj has 426 in 29 games. Assume 5 more games this year and at that pace, he finishes with 499 total.

He'd have 3 more years to score 2197 points. Thats 732 per year. Assume we play 36 games per year. He'd have to average 20.3 per game over the next 3 years.

I doubt that he'll be here for 4 years, but even if he was, I'm not sure can just pencil in 20 pts per game over the next 105 games. Consider his role this year, and the lack of other options. Just on paper, next years team should have some more scorers available, possibly reducing his overall shots.

If you assume he's not sticking around for 4 years, consider if he'd have a shot at 2000 points over 3 years...he'd have to average 20.8 points a game over teh next 2. Also a tall order, and generally the pace he'd need to be on to overtake Byron. I actually think this scenario is more likely than overtaking BL.

smileyy
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
MHettel -- some other things to consider: He'll likely develop an effective 3-point shot, which would bump up his scoring. I think he'll also get better at finishing to his left, either with a teardrop, short jumper, or being able to use his left hand on the glass. He misses those shots today, and would probably make them in the future. If he becomes more effective, I can see his % of team shots staying roughly the same (though I can see them dipping too). He won't be scoring more by shooting more, but he'll be scoring more by getting more points out of the possessions he's already using.

drudy23
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Byron had 2696 points.

Semaj has 426 in 29 games. Assume 5 more games this year and at that pace, he finishes with 499 total.

He'd have 3 more years to score 2197 points. Thats 732 per year. Assume we play 36 games per year. He'd have to average 20.3 per game over the next 3 years.

I doubt that he'll be here for 4 years, but even if he was, I'm not sure can just pencil in 20 pts per game over the next 105 games. Consider his role this year, and the lack of other options. Just on paper, next years team should have some more scorers available, possibly reducing his overall shots.

If you assume he's not sticking around for 4 years, consider if he'd have a shot at 2000 points over 3 years...he'd have to average 20.8 points a game over teh next 2. Also a tall order, and generally the pace he'd need to be on to overtake Byron. I actually think this scenario is more likely than overtaking BL.

If he HAS to score 20+ per game, we're in trouble over the next four years. I'd prefer we get him some talented help.

smileyy
03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Some thoughts pulled out of my ass on a slow Friday afternoon:

Semaj Christon will be....Jordan Crawford, without taking quite so much off the table.

Dee Davis will be...Dante Jackson: he'll play a lot of minutes, but leave everyone wondering what he's really bringing to the table. Also, a frustrating amount of missed wide-open 3's.

Justin Martin will be....BJ Raymond, with Kenny Frease's career development arc.

Jalen Reynolds will be...the skinny Jason Love

James Farr will be...the new Erik Edwards? (I really hope not)

PMI
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
MHettel -- some other things to consider: He'll likely develop an effective 3-point shot, which would bump up his scoring. I think he'll also get better at finishing to his left, either with a teardrop, short jumper, or being able to use his left hand on the glass. He misses those shots today, and would probably make them in the future. If he becomes more effective, I can see his % of team shots staying roughly the same (though I can see them dipping too). He won't be scoring more by shooting more, but he'll be scoring more by getting more points out of the possessions he's already using.

Not to mention getting to the line more and hitting more free throws. And again, playing more games than Larkin due to making more tourney runs. He is definitely capable of averaging over 20 a game starting next year. The only killer that makes the argument a moot one is that there's no way he's going to stay four years. I don't know how much more time we have with him, but it's not three more seasons.

xfan'17
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
dez could....but that's what got him kicked out!!

hahaha

D-West & PO-Z
03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Some thoughts pulled out of my ass on a slow Friday afternoon:

Semaj Christon will be....Jordan Crawford, without taking quite so much off the table.

Dee Davis will be...Dante Jackson: he'll play a lot of minutes, but leave everyone wondering what he's really bringing to the table. Also, a frustrating amount of missed wide-open 3's.

Justin Martin will be....BJ Raymond, with Kenny Frease's career development arc.

Jalen Reynolds will be...the skinny Jason Love

James Farr will be...the new Erik Edwards? (I really hope not)

How about with BJ Raymond's career development arc?

Everybody remembers BJ Raymomnd so fondly (and rightfully so) but the forget he struggled at the beginning of his career and even only started 9 games his jr year with just under 10 points a game.

I think Justin Martin is going to be a great player for us too and I think its funny when people say hes a bust or will be our most frustrating player over the next two years. He is going to be like so many other Xavier players to come through this program where he struggles in the beginning and progresses and turns out to have a great career like Jason Love and BJ Raymond etc.

Very few guys come in right away and play like Semaj and Crawford. The vast majority of Xavier players had slow progression where they may have stuggled their first 2 years but were solid and even great players by their senior years.

PMI
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Everybody remembers BJ Raymomnd so fondly (and rightfully so) but the forget he struggled at the beginning of his career and even only started 9 games his jr year with just under 10 points a game.

I think Justin Martin is going to be a great player for us too and I think its funny when people say hes a bust or will be our most frustrating player over the next two years. He is going to be like so many other Xavier players to come through this program where he struggles in the beginning and progresses and turns out to have a great career like Jason Love and BJ Raymond etc.

Very few guys come in right away and play like Semaj and Crawford. The vast majority of Xavier players had slow progression where they may have stuggled their first 2 years but were solid and even great players by their senior years.

I don't think people unfairly criticize him. I actually think people overrated him a bit early in his career, which is not his fault, but some of the criticisms are warranted, much in the same way they are with Jeff Robinson. You just don't know what Justin Martin you're going to get. BJ Raymond was not great in his first two years, and didn't shoot the ball nearly the way he did as an upperclassman, but he was a very hard worker 12 months out of the year. Until Martin proves that he has THAT, and only that, his career arc will continue as it is, which isn't bad, especially if we have another 3 who's good by then. But for Martin to become the player he can be, he needs to really want it. I do worry, but hopefully the switch goes off for him like has has for X players of past.

X-ceptional
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Definitely similarities there - but JC was SO SMOOTH. Everything he did looked effortless. I wish I could find the video of that ridiculous layup he had against the Gophers in the tourney a few years back.

Ask and you shall receive! Click here to be taken to that layup in all its glory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jihJKHnTXec#t=450s)

Click here to be taken to where all JCraw at Xavier highlights start (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jihJKHnTXec#t=162)--I shouldn't even have to tell you that it's worth your time to watch 'em all. Incredible.

One of my favorites though has to be this one at 3:44 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jihJKHnTXec#t=224s) where he just backs up and splashes one from 27 feet in udump dude's face... what a beast. And of course the KState 30 footer... good Lord, that guy can flat out play.

smileyy
03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
But for Martin to become the player he can be, he needs to really want it. I do worry, but hopefully the switch goes off for him like has has for X players of past.

This is what I meant by the "Kenny Frease" career arc. Kenny worked his ass off the summer of his junior year to lose weight, and it improved his play...but he still wasn't all there. Then the 2012 season thing happened, and he drifted throughout that entire season, rather than being a leader.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see Justin Martin play his ass off in a deep tournament run in 2015. Maybe that's Josh Duncan's career arc too?

But D-West &... has a point -- some players have their mistakes and development more easily forgotten than others, for some reason. Remember when Jordan Crawford was the ballhogging team-breaking scourge of the 2009-2010 season?

D-West & PO-Z
03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't think people unfairly criticize him. I actually think people overrated him a bit early in his career, which is not his fault, but some of the criticisms are warranted, much in the same way they are with Jeff Robinson. You just don't know what Justin Martin you're going to get. BJ Raymond was not great in his first two years, and didn't shoot the ball nearly the way he did as an upperclassman, but he was a very hard worker 12 months out of the year. Until Martin proves that he has THAT, and only that, his career arc will continue as it is, which isn't bad, especially if we have another 3 who's good by then. But for Martin to become the player he can be, he needs to really want it. I do worry, but hopefully the switch goes off for him like has has for X players of past.

I just may not be privy to some of the information that other people are on this board (which wouldnt surprise me). How does one know how hard of a worker BJ Raymond was as a sophomore at XU and that it is much better than how hard Justin Martin works?

Sometimes I really do think when we are looking back at a former Xavier player and the career he had we tend to only remember the end and how good it was. I think the same will happen with Justin when all said and done.

BJ Raymond averaged 12 and 13 mins as a frosh and soph and 3.4 and 4.1 PPG those two years. Also had FG% of 38.8 and 40.3 and 3point% of 30.6 and actually 45 (his best year. Also had a 63% and 41% FT shooting %.

I tend to believe not many people remember that BJ Raymond. And that is where JMart is in his career.

paulxu
03-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I don't know where Semaj will end up, but good God Crawford was a wonderful player to watch. At this point we have nobody that can do those things.
But the future looks bright.

D-West & PO-Z
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Ask and you shall receive! Click here to be taken to that layup in all its glory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jihJKHnTXec#t=450s)

Click here to be taken to where all JCraw at Xavier highlights start (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jihJKHnTXec#t=162)--I shouldn't even have to tell you that it's worth your time to watch 'em all. Incredible.

One of my favorites though has to be this one at 3:44 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jihJKHnTXec#t=224s) where he just backs up and splashes one from 27 feet in udump dude's face... what a beast. And of course the KState 30 footer... good Lord, that guy can flat out play.

His body control in the lane and around the rim is amazing. Love that video.

rove02
03-08-2013, 06:16 PM

I agree with you about Martin. It seems like lots of people hate on him here but he was playing really really well the first 8 games of the season before his concussion. I posted his stats for those games a while back when he was getting bashed in a thread on the old Men's Forum and they were very good. For the first 8 games he was easily our 2nd best player (Travis wasn't do as well back then) and probably our most efficient.

People will probably think I'm crazy but I think think he could be even better than Raymond especially if he takes a big Sophomore to Junior jump like Raymond did. It seems like he already rebounds better and has shown he is a good 3pt shooter. I just think he has serious confidence problems that are causing him to be inconsistent but early in the season he looked confident (remember him stealing the ball late in the Pacific game and pulling up at the 3pt line and draining it) which made him more consistent.

smileyy
03-08-2013, 08:11 PM
The concussion is a good point, and one that I meant to make but forgot. A concussion bad enough to force you to miss a game has the potential to affect a player well afterwards, in ways that aren't obvious or easily measured symptoms.

IOW, like Rove02 said, I look forward to seeing what Martin brings to the table next year.

waggy
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I liked that Justin had no problem mixing it up with Dwayne Evans. He held his own when he was on him.

Oh yeah, Crawdaddy.

PMI
03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
I just may not be privy to some of the information that other people are on this board (which wouldnt surprise me). How does one know how hard of a worker BJ Raymond was as a sophomore at XU and that it is much better than how hard Justin Martin works?

Sometimes I really do think when we are looking back at a former Xavier player and the career he had we tend to only remember the end and how good it was. I think the same will happen with Justin when all said and done.

BJ Raymond averaged 12 and 13 mins as a frosh and soph and 3.4 and 4.1 PPG those two years. Also had FG% of 38.8 and 40.3 and 3point% of 30.6 and actually 45 (his best year. Also had a 63% and 41% FT shooting %.

I tend to believe not many people remember that BJ Raymond. And that is where JMart is in his career.

I agree with you in general, that people tend to remember the end of players' careers, and that a lot of people don't remember BJ Raymond as an underclassman in particular. Thing is, I do remember it very clearly. BJ was a year below me and I had the luxury of following his teams as closely as any Xavier teams in my time. BJ Raymond was a gym rat. He wanted it. Miller pushed him particularly hard as he was his first recruit -- his guy-- and knew how much better we could be with him playing well. I feel like Martin has similarities in that sense. Of the guys left, he's really Mack's first recruit. He could be very good, and the difference in our team's "ceiling" when he's playing well versus when he's not is monumental. I just believe, based on both, say, an educated guess, and a hunch, that he has to really make some changes in how badly he wants it, and how badly he wants to work for it. By no means am I saying Martin can't do it. In fact, I'm saying he can in a big way. I just need to see it to rest easy. I absolutely think he could be as good or better than Raymond IF he takes a similar approach to Raymond. I also realize that it takes a special kind of desire to do that, and that it's not just a light switch you can flick on whenever it's a convenient time for you or the team. We've been lucky as hell with how many of our players get that hunger, especially later in their careers, but it is by no means a forgone conclusion, no matter how used to it we get. I want to see the gym rat turned baller version of Justin Martin very badly, and I hope we do. Our teams over the next couple of years could be really, really good if we get that.

MHettel
03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I have no confidence in Martin. The best way to describe him is clumsy. You can work on defensive technique and rebounding position and shooting ( all of which it seems he doesnt practice whatsoever). But clumsy and slow cant be overcome. Hes just not good enough and never will be.

D-West & PO-Z
03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I have no confidence in Martin. The best way to describe him is clumsy. You can work on defensive technique and rebounding position and shooting ( all of which it seems he doesnt practice whatsoever). But clumsy and slow cant be overcome. Hes just not good enough and never will be.

I am will bring this post up in two years. We shall see.

D-West & PO-Z
03-10-2013, 12:50 AM

While watching these I came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yvGq9B8X4 interview with Dan LeBatard. Go to 3:10 in the video and chek out the question and listen to the response. Bound to make some people on this board cringe I'm sure. Doesnt surprise me though.

GoMuskies
03-10-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm sure Jordan sent a body double to class that fooled Sr. Rose, and it's not that he got special treatment.

My classroom attendance wasn't exactly rock solid, either, so it doesn't really bother me. I think mandatory attendance policies in college are kind of silly. If you can take care of business while missing a few classes, more power to you. Maybe sleeping through class is a more efficient use of your time.

D-West & PO-Z
03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm sure Jordan sent a body double to class that fooled Sr. Rose, and it's not that he got special treatment.

My classroom attendance wasn't exactly rock solid, either, so it doesn't really bother me. I think mandatory attendance policies in college are kind of silly. If you can take care of business while missing a few classes, more power to you. Maybe sleeping through class is a more efficient use of your time.

I completely agree GO.

paulxu
03-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Heh.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9093599/jordan-crawford-provides-dash-chaos-boston-celtics

mistabeecee41
03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Jordan always used to be able to get away with his ridiculous shots and moves at the college level because he was always the most athletic guy on the court against college competition.

A 6 '4 SG shooting fadeaways, pullups and runners against NBA level athleticism - not so much.

Muskiefornia
03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
While watching these I came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yvGq9B8X4 interview with Dan LeBatard. Go to 3:10 in the video and chek out the question and listen to the response. Bound to make some people on this board cringe I'm sure. Doesnt surprise me though.

He was in my WEEKEND EPU class and went both days. So that's something. Granted it was a BS class and all we did was sit around and go to the Freedom Center.

ammtd34
03-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Jordan always used to be able to get away with his ridiculous shots and moves at the college level because he was always the most athletic guy on the court against college competition.

A 6 '4 SG shooting fadeaways, pullups and runners against NBA level athleticism - not so much.

But he's still scoring, so he's doing something right.