PDA

View Full Version : SLU Message Board

Xavier Nation
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
They are just a tad bit (to put it lightly) full of themselves. I hate Saint Louis. I hope we some how put a beating on them.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23794

SlimKibbles
03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
They are just a tad bit (to put it lightly) full of themselves. I hate Saint Louis. I hope we some how put a beating on them.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23794

How is anything they're saying different than a lot of the stuff I've read on this board since I joined up a few years ago when X is having a good season? They can say what they want. Doesn't bother me. SLU is having a great season and X is having an off year for once. Besides, I'd love to see SLU lose tonight. In the immortal words of Count Dooku, "Twice the pride, double the fall."

PMI
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm not all that interested in checking out their opinions. SLU fans are way to new to being decent at basketball to truly know what they're talking about yet. It's cute that they have built a nice little team over the past couple years, but Majerus has moved on to an eternal afterlife of all the free KFC and white towels one man could desire, and now they have to settle for that old bleat, Jim Crews. They're time at the top will be short-lived if they get lucky enough to join us in our next league. I sort of understand why people want them added to the Big East (I'd rather just keep it at nine or ten personally) but they really don't have any real history of basketball success that would lead you to believe they will be a sustainable basketball power like us. So let them have their time in the sun this year before they either get a new coach or keep Crews around. They're at their pinnacle, and they still won't have enough to derail our senior night. Chris Mack doesn't have enough respect for Jim Crews to allow him to bring a team into our beautiful palace and take one.

GoMuskies
03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Frankly, I think Lamont Sanford put it beautifully with respect to Crews:

Jim Crews molests collies.

Xavier Nation
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Maybe for teams like Dayton and UC. Dont think we talk like that about teams such as SLU.

XUFan09
03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
One of the guys over there thinks SLU is our biggest rival right now. I have respect for the good they've been doing there lately, but no. Without even thinking about it, Butler and Dayton are more significant. I'd probably put Temple higher too.

Being from STL and growing up as a casual SLU fan, I have to say that they don't really have rivals anywhere. College basketball just isn't a strong tradition in St. Louis.

PMI
03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
One of the guys over there thinks SLU is our biggest rival right now.

Well, that's all I needed to hear. If this is the kind of delusion going on over there then you'd have to figure their biggest rival would be dayton, just in an entirely different category.

SlimKibbles
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Maybe for teams like Dayton and UC. Dont think we talk like that about teams such as SLU.

There's more talk like that for UD & UC, I agree. But I think in general, in the past while during a good season, I've seen things people say on here that a fan of another school might react the same way you seem to be. Totally understand where you're coming from with your comments though. If X had the same record and was battling for 1st with SLU, maybe the comments on their board would bother me more. I have more of a "Whatever," reaction.

I don't understand the one comment about Christon though. How could Coach Mack screw him up? Has he done that to players in the past? Not sure where that comment is coming from by that poster.

Also, maybe X is SLU's biggest rival in their fans' eyes. Two good years does not a flagship make though. Butler can be their rival if they want one.

DC Muskie
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Our front line is full of thugs and hacks?

What team is this moron watching?

DC Muskie
03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
These dipshits don't even know how they have fared playing in the Cintas.

I know it's messageboard stuff, but man their fans sound like idiots.

For those keeping count, I have called them morons, dispshits and idiots. They are not our rival.

XUFan09
03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
These dipshits don't even know how they have fared playing in the Cintas.

I know it's messageboard stuff, but man their fans sound like idiots.

For those keeping count, I have called them morons, dispshits and idiots. They are not our rival.

But Miami is ours.

BMoreX
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Hinkle Fieldhouse better than Cintas.

That's got to be a joke right?

SlimKibbles
03-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Okay. I missed some of that stuff you guys are posting. I take back the some of the things I said. I think they're fans are a bit delusional.

Xavier Nation
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
I almost think they are trolling us.........but the sad thing is they are not.

GetUp5
03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Ha. Ha.

That really is a lot of confidence for fans of a program with ONE NCAA appearance since 1999-2000.

I like the comment about not knowing anyone on our team. Knowledgable fan right there.

DC Muskie
03-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Ha. Ha.

That really is a lot of confidence for fans of a program with ONE NCAA appearance since 1999-2000.

I like the comment about not knowing anyone on our team. Knowledgable fan right there.

What's funny is they probably don't even know they have only appeared in the Dance once in the past 12 years.

I remember my first Xavier game in person. 1989. Xavier vs. SLU. Anthony Bonner against Tyrone Hill. I would venture to guess current SLU fans do not know who either of those people are.

Masterofreality
03-06-2013, 04:51 PM
What's funny is they probably don't even know they have only appeared in the Dance once in the past 12 years.

I remember my first Xavier game in person. 1989. Xavier vs. SLU. Anthony Bonner against Tyrone Hill. I would venture to guess current SLU fans do not know who either of those people are.

Coach Rich Grawer. He was not a handsome man.

GIMMFD
03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Ha. Ha.

It's okay, I don't know anyone on theirs either :unsure:

Masterofreality
03-06-2013, 06:25 PM
They must not realize that XU leads the all time series 24-12.

They're a pimple on the elephant's ass.

PM Thor
03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Ok, now it's REALLY fun to go over there and start reading...poster after poster blames the refs...and home cooking...not one of your best players going 0-15 or anything..

I HATE dayton.

nkymuskie
03-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Well after stopping over there at their board, I'm not sure whose fans I dislike more SLU or UD. Acting awfully entitled without much to really back it up.

One fan was taking a dig at Cintas being in an area where you'll get shot. Now I don't know exactly where in St Louis SLU is located, but that city is #6 on the FBI's most dangerous cities for 2013 and frequent that list regularly.

Regardless I'm glad we won tonight. This team is finally looking pretty solid. If this team shows up in Brooklyn we could have a bit more exciting March than I was expecting. It's also entirely possible that we see the team that lost to UMASS at home, but I'll cross my fingers for the former rather than the latter.

Thanks to Brad, Trav, and Jeff for all your hard work over the past couple years. I'm glad to have guys like them wear the X!

SLU sucks. Keep your Aussie mohawked goon.

XUFan09
03-06-2013, 11:51 PM
SLU is not in the best neighborhood. It's much improved from what it used to be, but a decent portion of the surrounding area is rather unsafe.

OTRMUSKIE
03-07-2013, 04:08 AM
It's not like X is in a great neighborhood.

Porkopolis
03-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Ok, now it's REALLY fun to go over there and start reading...poster after poster blames the refs...and home cooking...not one of your best players going 0-15 or anything..

I HATE dayton.

That's what their announcers were doing, so why expect anything else from the fans?

X-band '01
03-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Make it 25-12.

boozehound
03-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Wow. I had no idea SLU fans were that bad. Very close to Dayton fans.

I won't shed a tear when the last of Majerus' guys leave and they go back to mediocrity (or worse). I actually kind of liked SLU too...

DC Muskie
03-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Wow, I never seen a fan base bitch about the refs from beginning to end. And they do that annoying Dayton thing where everyone is identified with initials.

DE, KM, RL...

Jesus people, how hard is it to spell out their name?

I'm glad we slapped the taste out of their mouths. Refs can't call that either bitches.

ammtd34
03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Wow, I never seen a fan base bitch about the refs from beginning to end. And they do that annoying Dayton thing where everyone is identified with initials.

DE, KM, RL...

Jesus people, how hard is it to spell out their name?

I'm glad we slapped the taste out of their mouths. Refs can't call that either bitches.

80% of posts on that game thread are about the refs. How come they didn't bitch when they were in the bonus with 10:00 to go?

DC Muskie
03-07-2013, 08:07 AM
This is my favorite line...

If Cody is shooting his average we are up by 7

Yup. If, what's his name now...Cody? If Cody was shooting his average, then SLU would have been up by 7 right at this moment.

I love when people extrapolate performance to make themselves feel better. Never mind that Cody was dogshit last night.

Here's my own take on the situation...if Martin had hit his average we would have won by 16.

Bitches.

XUFan09
03-07-2013, 08:49 AM

Yup. If, what's his name now...Cody? If Cody was shooting his average, then SLU would have been up by 7 right at this moment.

I love when people extrapolate performance to make themselves feel better. Never mind that Cody was dogshit last night.

Here's my own take on the situation...if Martin had hit his average we would have won by 16.

Bitches.

Wrong. Only the losing team can bitch about it was "just because" one of their key players didn't play well. Players on the winng team who didn't play well? That's just because of the losing team's defense.

MD Muskie
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Bitches.

They just completely miss the point. Our defense was pretty darn great last night. Ellis missed everything from the field, Loe missed EVERYTHING period, and their whole team made one freaking field goal in overtime. But it's the refs fault.

Masterofreality
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
See, this is the thing about college basketball and why it is so intriguing.

UMass runs no offense and Kellogg is a terrible coach. All of a sudden, the basket is 1o miles wide for them on Saturday and they can't miss. Despite protestations from CMack, our defense Saturday was not that bad. He was just motivating the troops.

Ellis, who is a heck of a shooter, can't throw it in the Atlantic Ocean if he was on the beach from 5 feet last night. Same basic defense.

As they say on the promo: "College Basketball.....expect ANYTHING."

PMI
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
They must not realize that XU leads the all time series 24-12.

They're a pimple on the elephant's ass.

See, this is the thing about college basketball and why it is so intriguing.

UMass runs no offense and Kellogg is a terrible coach. All of a sudden, the basket is 1o miles wide for them on Saturday and they can't miss. Despite protestations from CMack, our defense Saturday was not that bad. He was just motivating the troops.

Ellis, who is a heck of a shooter, can't throw it in the Atlantic Ocean if he was on the beach from 5 feet last night. Same basic defense.

As they say on the promo: "College Basketball.....expect ANYTHING."

That's why I'm still enough of a sucker to believe we have a snowball's chance in Brooklyn. If we defend and rebound the way we can, and can just get hot for the first four game stretch of the season, there's nobody we can't decisively beat. Free throw shooting is definitely my biggest concern though. We will need to flip a switch in that department that we haven't been able to do yet. Almost impossible seeing us win four in four with even mediocre free throw shooting.

ammtd34
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
These people are dumb. There's a Christon thread that starts with a comlimentary post. Then there are some gems.

One other thing I'll add: he carries the ball every freaking time. Box pointed this out to me. It's true. Today's guards make a mockery of the rule because it doesn't get called and he does it more egregiously than anyone else who isn't in the NBA (LeBron James is 6-freaking-8 and still dribbles up to his head).

Great player and he'll probably do fine in the league. Heck, he's already league ready the way he travels every time he gets the ball and hooks around the defender.

I did notice he carries the ball a lot and he uses his forearm to push off his defender. He is a pretty physical player. I did like how they mentioned on the telecast that all his mom wanted was to name him James backwards. I am sure she wants some NBA cash too.

He carries the damn ball every time.

Pistol, got to watch him up close and I have nothing good to say about him, ya the forearm, grabbing the jersey, talks a lot on the court, he's a little piss ant wise a$$. I fact I don't think he even pass a Welding Class !!

I think they may need a refresher on the rule, especially the LeBron comment guy. You can dribble the ball as high as you want. I'm not sure what "I fact I don't think he even pass a Welding Class" means.

DC Muskie
03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I wish they had a player of substance I could care enough about to criticize.

BMoreX
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I think they may need a refresher on the rule, especially the LeBron comment guy. You can dribble the ball as high as you want. I'm not sure what "I fact I don't think he even pass a Welding Class" means.

My god....these fans don't know anything.

I feel bad for El Shaqtus. He actually is a good, reasonable SLU poster on the A10 board. I hope most Billiken fans aren't like the ones on that site. Yikes.

DC Muskie
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Free throw shooting is definitely my biggest concern though.

This will be our ultimate downfall. I bet some nerd like brew or someone could show you the statistics of decent offensive and defensive teams winning more games due to their superior free throw shooting.

No matter how well we play defense if we can't get Martin or Robinson to be a legitimate third offensive threat and hit 70-75% of our foul shots, we will lose quickly in Brooklyn.

I have totally depressed myself.

coasterville95
03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
The welding class crack tells me they don't even have their A10 teams straight. Moron Poster at SLU board doesn't realize that joke only plays with St. Bonnaventure.

PMI
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
These people are dumb. There's a Christon thread that starts with a comlimentary post. Then there are some gems.

Wow. They are dumb. I must have missed the rule where there's a limit on how dribbling high within the confines is not allowed. It's funny because they don't bitch about how often Cody "Rat Face with Unevenly Blue-Dyed Hair" Ellis steps into the offensive player on 90% of his league-leading drawn charges. Or how "physical" Dwayne Evans (whose game I really like by the way) plays on the block. But when the skinniest guard on the court plays physical, it's not fair. And it's our luck that Rat Smurf can't hit Rick Majerus from the buffet line, but it's good defense on their part when when Martin and Robinson combine for a small guest cameo. Got it. I hope we can be so lucky in Brooklyn.

Smails
03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Jesus guys..cut them some slack. This whole relevancy thing a waaay foriegn concept to them. I think we should give them a little time to adjust to the added depth of the grown up pool.

Side note: Jodair Jett is not a handsome fellow

Masterofreality
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Cody Ellis is the biggest flopmeister this side of Matt Howard.

The flailing arms are classic.

Mrs. Garrett
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
I was pretty indifferent to SLU as a basketball program before this thread started. After reading their message board, I hope they have fun in the A10 for the rest of their lives.

Call us back in 20 years and maybe just maybe SLU will be worthy.

ammtd34
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Cody Ellis is the biggest flopmeister this side of Matt Howard.

The flailing arms are classic.

Philmore neither lowered his shoulder nor extended his arm on either charge they called on him. Of course, announcers are quick to label it great defense. It's not. Falling down is not part of playing defense. If you are in a good defensive position, guard the guy. Falling down with no contact is what we blast soccer players for, but everyone thinks it makes someone a great defender in basketball.

DC Muskie
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
If falling down makes you a good defender, then I am a freakin' All American in my weekly pick up games.

kyxu
03-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Pistol, got to watch him up close and I have nothing good to say about him, ya the forearm, grabbing the jersey, talks a lot on the court, he's a little piss ant wise a$$.

Kind of an odd take on Christon. I've really never seen him talk to an opponent during a game. But when he's handing your blue-headed players their shit, I guess you will conjure up whatever unfavorable image you can.

danaandvictory
03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Christon doesn't talk to opponents because he knows he has hot dog breath and he's polite.

El Shaqtus
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Jesus guys..cut them some slack. This whole relevancy thing a waaay foriegn concept to them. I think we should give them a little time to adjust to the added depth of the grown up pool.

Side note: Jodair Jett is not a handsome fellow

He's probably my favorite player from SLU, but I can't say you're wrong. He did pretty good in the Steven Jackson look-alike contest.

ballyhoohoo
03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
I found it enjoying. I love good fiction.

paulxu
03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Why is this so hard? The foul totals were SLU 30, XU 20.

In the last 1:30 of regulation and of overtime, SLU fouled more than 10 times to stop the clock while we were ahead.
Fouls on purpose to stop the clock and hope to catch up.

This is NOT rocket science people.