PDA

View Full Version : Wide open threes in second half???

TEK-X
03-02-2013, 03:50 PM
The last three games in my opinion should have, could have, and would have won. We could be really looking decent for the dance if we just switched to the zone for a two or three minute stretch in the second half. I understand we are not a great zone team, but to me there was no other option. I mean the last three games second halves I have saw 90% of the other teams threes were absolutely wide open. Literally, most shots the other team had 5 feet of space of the same ball movement. Screens, screens, screens!!!!!! Every team has saw it, and have taken advantage of this.!i really think people overreact about his questionable coaching, but I have been disgusted the last three games second halves. I am literally speechless and I barely ever post, but couldn't help myself today.

GoMuskies
03-02-2013, 03:52 PM
The defense absolutely was awful, but I don't think zone was the answer. Would have been plenty of open looks against a zone, too.

The answer is better players.

PMI
03-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Our 3 point defense obviously sucks, but I'm not sure switching to zone would be the remedy.

Edit: Go beat me to it. That guy is a post-sniper.

TEK-X
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I've watched or listened to every X game since I was ten years old. I'm 31 now. I'm a diehard X fan and love this team and everything they have done in bringing me so much happiness, joy and excitement. In all the years I've never, ever saw that many open threes. Do not understand that Mack didn't even call a timeout. I think there were points in the last three second halves where the other team literally hit three or four threes in a row. No change, no timeout. I'm sure he knows more than me about coaching and this team but I'm not a idiot either. It was just unbelievable. Teams go off on us from the three in the second half lately. I think we are a time out or two from being on the bubble today for the dance instead of being on the bubble for the nit. I hope for magic in Brooklyn, if not please make the nit. Cannot wait for next season. I believe we will have a nice squad. Hopefully we sign someone who can step in next season. Still live and die with this program. It's part of who I am, love X.

smileyy
03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I think there's a lot of fatigue coming from a short roster, and guys who are better off playing 12-20 minutes who are getting 30+ minutes.

XU 87
03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
The threes were, for the most part, not wide open. They hit pull up threes on fast beaks. They hit threes with guys guarding them. At one point, I couldn't help think that UMass doesn't run an offense. They just fire up threes. But they kept making them.

Perma Fro
03-02-2013, 06:40 PM
On two wide open three's by Riley, Brad got caught on defensive switches.

SixFig
03-03-2013, 02:14 AM
There were some wide open 3s, But other times they just shot over smaller defenders.

The Minutemen were definitely residents of the "Village of Drillage" today

mohr5150
03-03-2013, 07:28 AM
This game was a reflection of where college basketball is and why it isn't as enjoyable to watch as it has been in the past. Most teams have adopted the philosophy of either shooting a bunch of 3's and hope for the best or drive to the basket. We have a player who can drive and a player who can shoot. A team like UMass can get hot from 3 with multiple players and Chaz can drive and dish with the best of them. We just need more shooters and drivers to compete. It blows my mind we've been able to compete with the lack of talent on this roster.

Masterofreality
03-03-2013, 07:30 AM
The threes were, for the most part, not wide open. They hit pull up threes on fast beaks. They hit threes with guys guarding them. At one point, I couldn't help think that UMass doesn't run an offense. They just fire up threes. But they kept making them.

There were some wide open 3s, But other times they just shot over smaller defenders.

The Minutemen were definitely residents of the "Village of Drillage" today

These. Brad was trying to defend a guy 5 inches taller than him. UMass doesn't run an offense. Chaz Willams goes out and his replacement comes in and hits 2 threes.

UMass shot better from 3 than the foul line. If I have an criticism, it was why we didn't start fouling earlier with subs off the bench like Farr or Whelan on an offense/defense scenario.