PDA

View Full Version : Teams 10, 11 & 12?

waggy
03-02-2013, 01:19 AM
If Notre Dame joins as the 10th, I think this is moot. But with some of the recent debates going on, maybe a poll would be interesting.

Snipe
03-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Why any more teams? Because i want to play in divisions? Divisions is for football to have a conference title game.

You people that want 12 are fools. 12 is bad for basketball. A round robin with true rivalries is basketball, and that means 9 or 10 teams with 16 or 18 conference games.

I think 9 is the best number, unless Notre Dame ever wants to join.

Roach
03-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Why any more teams? Because i want to play in divisions? Divisions is for football to have a conference title game.

You people that want 12 are fools. 12 is bad for basketball. A round robin with true rivalries is basketball, and that means 9 or 10 teams with 16 or 18 conference games.

I think only prime numbers are ideal for a conference - 7, 11, 13, or 17 teams.

STL_XUfan
03-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I would like to add another Jesuit school (after SLU and creighton) so we can have an all Jesuit division. Oh crap I said division, I'll show myself the door.

BMoreX
03-02-2013, 08:56 AM
The reason it would go to twelve is because FOX wants it go to go twelve.

I'll assume that ND is only in for 2013 then leave for the ACC.

My 10, 11, and 12 would then be Creighton (appease Marquette), Richmond (appease Georgetown), and SLU (media market).

LA Muskie
03-02-2013, 10:17 AM
The reason it would go to twelve is because FOX wants it go to go twelve.

I'll assume that ND is only in for 2013 then leave for the ACC.

My 10, 11, and 12 would then be Creighton (appease Marquette), Richmond (appease Georgetown), and SLU (media market).

If ND sticks for 2013 it's almost certainly because it doesn't want to go to the ACC.

PMI
03-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Agree 100%. 9 is a perfect size unless Notre Dame wants in.

waggy
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Why any more teams?

Because of subscriber/carriage fees. Almost guarantees that (minus ND) a team from Virginia and a team from Missouri will be invited.

sgarcia
03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
10 teams would be perfect. 18 game round robin conference schedule. However, it won't happen for more than 1 year. My 10, 11, 12 assuming ND does not stay next year or long term is Creighton, Richmond, little brother.

Cheesehead
03-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Screw ND and UD

Juice
03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
I picked VCU over Richmond for strictly basketball reasons. Is everyone here picking Richmond over VCU because it's a small school and more in line with the rest of the conference? I'm not really getting the Richmond preference over VCU.

waggy
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
The reason I like Richmond more is yes, the institutional fit.

LA Muskie
03-03-2013, 11:00 AM
The reason I like Richmond more is yes, the institutional fit.

I understand that. It's true. But I'm not sure why it matters for a basketball-centric athletic conference.

Is there a fear that, as a state school, VCU might add football and cease to fit the athletic profile -- even though if they don't have one now the odds of them having a viable BCS football program in the foreseeable future are beyond remote? Is there a fear that, as a large state school, VCU has the financial resources to leave us all in the dust -- even though they've never done that before and with the economy in its current shape almost certainly could not for the foreseeable future?

If those are not concerns, then what are they?

paulxu
03-03-2013, 11:03 AM
I've noticed a comment or two about private schools not being subject to the same disclosure of data that public schools are.
Maybe that's a concern.

LA Muskie
03-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I've noticed a comment or two about private schools not being subject to the same disclosure of data that public schools are.
Maybe that's a concern.

I've seen that on this board, too. I think people are trying to think of distinguishing characteristics to justify profiling VCU out. I've never heard a knowledgeable source affirm "being subject to FOIA requests" as a factor in consideration.

BMoreX
03-03-2013, 11:22 AM
For me, it just comes down to that I think the C7 will take Richmond over VCU because that's what Georgetown wants.

Not saying that's the right decision, but that's what I am expecting.

LA Muskie
03-03-2013, 11:29 AM
For me, it just comes down to that I think the C7 will take Richmond over VCU because that's what Georgetown wants.

Now that seems plausible.

PMI
03-03-2013, 01:46 PM

I've heard this too and it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Why would Georgetown be so hellbent on adding Richmond, yet not interested in VCU? It's not plausible to believe they're actually threatened by VCU joining, or that they feel like Richmond is such an essential addition for upgrading the conference. If they really want a program in the Richmond area, from a pure basketball standpoint, VCU makes more sense. I'm sure Georgetown has its reasons. I'm just not sure what they are, but would guess they are political as are most things with those people.

ThrowDownDBrown
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
VCU obviously has no chance of getting added because it's a large public school. The presidents of the C7 want to add similar institutions to their conference and VCU couldn't be further from that. They've got a very good basketball program but in no way do they fit in with the 9 small private schools

PMI
03-03-2013, 03:14 PM
VCU obviously has no chance of getting added because it's a large public school. The presidents of the C7 want to add similar institutions to their conference and VCU couldn't be further from that. They've got a very good basketball program but in no way do they fit in with the 9 small private schools

I think everybody can put that together, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree that it's right. Pretty much all the current big six conference other than the Big Ten have both private schools and larger public schools. If the objective were solely to make the best basketball conference, they wouldn't worry as much about finding schools with similar profiles outside basketball.

paulxu
03-03-2013, 03:24 PM
True, but if they could, they'd kick Vandy and Wake out of their conferences in a heartbeat to get a better football school.

ThrowDownDBrown
03-03-2013, 04:11 PM
I think everybody can put that together, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree that it's right. Pretty much all the current big six conference other than the Big Ten have both private schools and larger public schools. If the objective were solely to make the best basketball conference, they wouldn't worry as much about finding schools with similar profiles outside basketball.

Yeah you don't have to agree with it but that's how the C7 are going about adding teams to the conference. So there's really no point in debating Richmond vs VCU when VCU isn't even being considered

PM Thor
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I've emailed every AD and president at every C7 school, along with Butler and Xavier. I am actively campaigning against dayton in every way that I can think of doing. I would take Wright State over them.

As for the original question, I'm looking at markets. St. Louis, Creighton, and Richmond over the others. and I don't really think it's very close.

I HATE dayton.

Masterofreality
03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
As for the original question, I'm looking at markets. St. Louis, Creighton, and Richmond over the others. and I don't really think it's very close.

But you're not biased in any way, shape or form....:medicated:

PM Thor
03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
But you're not biased in any way, shape or form....:medicated:

Well, if you are a "basketball only" conference, you want to make a big splash with the teams being added. As in, TV awareness and conference footprint. With adding Creighton, St. Louis, and Richmond, that adds some pretty darn big footprints. As for dayton, they wouldn't add a new footprint. VCU? It doesn't fit the profile..the one that intrigues me is St. Joes. I wish they could come along, alas, no.

I HATE dayton.

LA Muskie
03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Well, if you are a "basketball only" conference, you want to make a big splash with the teams being added. As in, TV awareness and conference footprint. With adding Creighton, St. Louis, and Richmond, that adds some pretty darn big footprints. As for dayton, they wouldn't add a new footprint. VCU? It doesn't fit the profile..the one that intrigues me is St. Joes. I wish they could come along, alas, no.

I HATE dayton.

If you are worried about footprint then why would you care about St. Joe's? That market is more than covered with Villanova.

PM Thor
03-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I have a soft spot for St. Joes. I'm going to miss the constantly flapping Hawk, the coach who has the cranium of a Klingon, all of it. One thing to be said, with this move to the Big East, there are some built in home and home series OOC that I would love to do. This is one of them.

I HATE dayton.

Cheesehead
03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I say tell ND to take a hike and I would rather have SLU, Creighton, and Richmond. Screw UD. I do think UD gets in at some point though.

LA Muskie
03-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I have a soft spot for St. Joes. I'm going to miss the constantly flapping Hawk, the coach who has the cranium of a Klingon, all of it. One thing to be said, with this move to the Big East, there are some built in home and home series OOC that I would love to do. This is one of them.

I HATE dayton.
Ah...OK. I see that. And I agree with you. Maybe if things don't end up in a round-robin format, we could go play St. Joe's in the years when Villanova comes to the Cintas and that way we are playing in Philly every year. Playing in Philly 3 times every 2 years might be overkill for recruiting purposes, but it's a fertile enough area that a guaranteed annual trip there might not hurt. And I agree -- I like those games, at least as long as Martelli is around. He provides interesting flavor, if nothing else.

coasterville95
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Maybe we can arrange for a 24 hour visit of the Hawk to Thor. For 24 hours the Hawk follows Thor around flapping his wings the whole time.

I too will miss them.